[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did they manage to fuck this up SO hard? And I'm not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 282
Thread images: 70

How did they manage to fuck this up SO hard? And I'm not talking about some sort of "Faith is ugly now" thing. I mean that they fucked up literally everything that people liked about the previous game.

They got the city wrong, the running wrong, the art wrong, the combat wrong, and that's not even getting into how much they fucked up by making it open world.

How is it possible a studio could miss the point of why people liked something this hard?
>>
But Solar Fields.
>>
it's just extremely mediocre
>>
>>384562050
Even he phoned it in
>>
File: The_City.jpg (598KB, 1213x720px) Image search: [Google]
The_City.jpg
598KB, 1213x720px
>>384562107
That's almost the worst thing. They took a flawed gem and turned into into something incredibly polished but devoid of any sort of interest.

I mean fuck, how do we go from the city looking like this (unique)?
>>
File: mirrors_edge_city_of_glass-HD.jpg (3MB, 5120x2880px) Image search: [Google]
mirrors_edge_city_of_glass-HD.jpg
3MB, 5120x2880px
To this (generic sci fi shit)?
>>
That's what happens when you hire based on diversity and not merit
>>
>>384562243
yeah that's another problem. the city doesn't feel like a city, it feels like a VR platforming stage from mgs or some shit
>>
File: 1402246387737.gif (40KB, 269x317px) Image search: [Google]
1402246387737.gif
40KB, 269x317px
>>384562243
>>384562189

>it's a prequel/reboot
>technology is more advanced
>>
>>384561985
Out of those, they only fucked up the city adn the open world. And the city being a little less intereting and believable doesn't matter much.

The running is even better, the combat is genuinely damn good and it looks fantastic. Everything else is kinda bad to mediocre.
>>
>>384562189
>>384562243
The thing is, the first one looks like something you could imagine near future freerunners in. The second looks too scifi and has too many massive towers, which wouldn't work for running.

>>384562493
>And the city being a little less intereting and believable doesn't matter much.

On the contrary, it matters a whole lot. For me, the city is what made Mirror's Edge engaging. A generic "futuristic" city with unrealistic architecture and a bland art style just turns me off completely.
>>
I was actually going to buy this game soon but watching the recent speed run of it at SGDQ killed it for me.

Faith seemed to have no sense of natural acceleration; she just went from standing to FAST and then her speed never seems to change despite her interaction with various platforms. Worst of all though was when I saw her snapping to nearby geometry, and the guy running it pointed out that Faith now 'magnetises' to platforms, so the game's basically saying 'Fuck it. Close enough.'
>>
>>384562728
It's about £5 on origin right now, which it's probably worth. Don't pay more though.
>>
File: touchingthevoid.png (2MB, 1080x1440px) Image search: [Google]
touchingthevoid.png
2MB, 1080x1440px
>>384561985
>They got the city wrong
The whole lore and "castes" of the city was stupid, but apart from those obnoxious chokepoint alleys and walkways, the design felt pretty good.
>the running wrong
Running is literally better in every single way except for the dumb "speed up" button.
>the art wrong
It's different, but not bad, it's clean-cyberpunk (though the "rich" area looks pretty bad and uninspired). It may be uninspired in terms of cyberpunk design overall, but we don't have many open world cyberpunk games, so I can let it slide.
>the combat wrong
Static combat is boring and sluggish, but it works really well in chase sequences and when you're on the move.
>fucked up by making it open world
I thought that was the most redeeming part of it, it was pretty comfy being able to freerun around a futuristic city, doing courier jobs on your way, sneaking into surveillance facilities and infiltrating their servers. Night time was especially comfy.

Though ME1 was a near-perfect game, and I never expected nu-Dice to even come close to reaching it's height, but MEC was pretty good.

>>384562728
>>384562947
Pirate it, it was recently cracked, and it's much better without the shit soft-mulitplayer feature origin shoves in your face in the retail version
>>
File: det_mirror'sedge1.jpg (4MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
det_mirror'sedge1.jpg
4MB, 2560x1440px
>>384563186
You have some pleb ass opinions. Let me tell you why you're wrong.

1. The city and running are fucked because they have lost the focus of the first due to the open world meme. The first was effectively a racing game, with a route, and although there were a few different paths, it all went the same way. Open world RUINS this. You can't design a focused experience around open world.

2. The art is fucked. You say "clean cyberpunk", I say generic fucking shit that completely lacks the engagement of the first. The city in ME was great because it was believable. You could imagine it existing. Alright, sure, it wouldn't, but it had a believable design. The sort of stuff you found on the roof of a building is what you would expect.

Catalyst's city is impossible. You couldn't imagine a city like that existing in reality because it isn't something you could build. Add to that bullshit future technology and you ruin it further. In ME, the SWAT team were just a SWAT team, they had a helicopter that was a helicopter, and guns that were guns. In Catalyst, they've got VTOLs and crazy augmented reality and various other things that aren't inkeeping with the realistic style the first used.

Ah fuck it. I'm just annoyed. Ignore this wall of text, whatever. I really should be saying this to Dice.
>>
EA
>>
I thought the game was pretty fun. Sue me.

This is one of the genres where openworld is a godsend.
>>
>>384563621
I agree with everything you say, but Catalyst is still a good game in it's own right. It's just that ME1 was a FANTASTIC game, and you're just saying MEC is terrible because it's not ME1.
>>
>>384564108
Sequels have a burden of being expected to match up to the original. Sure, I'd not be so annoyed if it wasn't part of the Mirror's Edge "series", but it is, so part of the consideration is if they fucked up as a sequel. Which they did.
>>
File: 1494746617162.jpg (56KB, 511x448px) Image search: [Google]
1494746617162.jpg
56KB, 511x448px
>levelling system in a game about running and jumping
>>
>>384564465
This baffles me as well.

For the combat maybe, but for running? What the fuck, why?
>>
>>384564465
>>384564619

How else are you going to get a grappling hook other than level up? Find one just lying on the ground? Don't be silly.
>>
>>384562243
They could have at least made the futuristic city look and feel good. This just looks like a common dog shit.
>>
File: 1476433106367.jpg (135KB, 498x1493px) Image search: [Google]
1476433106367.jpg
135KB, 498x1493px
The game is designed around running fast but the dumbfuck designers made the world force the player to slow down. There are so made places that require Faith to make a slow U turn to keep going on some shit that it's infuriating. Ladders and poles are slow even after the upgrade to climb faster. The worst part is the game introduces some cable shit to swing around. Sounds cool. It lets faith zoom up to areas and move around faster. Too bad it doesn't fucking stop there. The game forces faith to completely stop fucking moving to use that cable thing to pull shit down. What the fuck? Why? Why is that in the game? Why is the ONE thing in the game that could make me move faster used to make me come to a complete stop? Trash.
>>
>>384564743
Jokes aside, there are so many better ways to introduce mechanics than levels.

>Have a side quest
>Completely optional
>The result is something like a grappling hook or weapon
>You can complete the game without it, but it adds new mechanics if you try
>>
>>384564465
Made sense in Dying Light where levelling up meant more endurance.
>>
File: 1493717338421.png (238KB, 399x333px) Image search: [Google]
1493717338421.png
238KB, 399x333px
>>384561985
>dude open world lmao
That's how. I'll never forgive DICE for fucking this up.
>>
I enjoyed it desu
>>
File: how_much_do_you_like_shit.jpg (141KB, 1570x885px) Image search: [Google]
how_much_do_you_like_shit.jpg
141KB, 1570x885px
I disagree with some points that you say, op.

I feel like the running is more or less the same or even more streamline. Pretty good overall.
Level design is not bad either. You have both small closed mission levels with linear paths as well as open world where you familiarize yourself with main paths.

What they dropped the ball with is levelling up for no reason other than give the player a fake sense of progression.
They also screwed up with making up a story about a very different world and society and just dropping the player into it without any exposition.
They made characters unlikeable, and the world sterile and constructed in unrealistic way.

These are the problems. Game-play wise the game is not bad.
>>
Running got faster, world still looks really nice, open world does suck, combat is alright
>>
>>384564837
I love how she's some amazing runner but she still needs to level up to learn how to quickly do a 180 turn or how to roll after hitting the ground. The best part is that this is a prequel. Everything Faith learns in Catalyst she magically forgets for Mirror's Edge.
>>
>>384565105
>this is a prequel
It's clearly a reboot though.
>>
File: det_mirror'sedge2.jpg (3MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
det_mirror'sedge2.jpg
3MB, 2560x1440px
>>384565017
>world still looks really nice

Fucking fuck no it doesn't

BRING BACK BAKED LIGHT

I DON'T GIVE A SINGLE FUCK ABOUT DAY NIGHT CYCLES
>>
File: mea-03.jpg (307KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mea-03.jpg
307KB, 1280x720px
Mirror's Edge: Matte paint
Mirror's Edge Catalyst: Shiny metal

This makes way more difference than people realise.
>>
File: 1364167390445.jpg (2MB, 7680x4320px) Image search: [Google]
1364167390445.jpg
2MB, 7680x4320px
>>
>>384561985
>How did they manage to fuck this up SO hard? And I'm not talking about some sort of "Faith is ugly now" thing. I mean that they fucked up literally everything that people liked about the previous game.
They really did not. It's in most ways either the same, or straight up better mechanically. The city and art direction in general is worse, the new combat system is... well it's certainly trying to be more interesting than the first one, though it does end up being just as equally obnoxious. The open world is a straight up improvement - it's very, very badly implemented but even despite it's awful implementation it's still a good feature (if they actually hired someone half-competent it would be amazing).
Everything that made the original game popular is there, except for art direction and music. The linear, tightly designed levels are fucking there. The open world did not replace the linear levels of the previous games - it's something you do when you are not doing the main story missions: largely a side activity. The main story missions have the same design as the previous game.

It's still a massive wasted opportunity. They still had not figured out how to handle the combat aspect of the game right, and the open world is just tragically misutilized and misdesigned, turning a feature that could have been glorious into something that just barely works, they still had not figured out how to properly utilize the art direction and settings, or how to even properly damn market the thing.
So it's a shame, historically speaking a pretty sad case of throwing away a lot of potential... But it's not a bad game, and on general it's not worse than the first one.

>>384565105
It's a reboot your retards. It takes place in ENTIRELY DIFFERENT FUCKING WORLD.
>>
>>384561985
The decision to make it an open world is probably what killed it if I'm honest
>>
File: 1430772812693.jpg (81KB, 567x461px) Image search: [Google]
1430772812693.jpg
81KB, 567x461px
>>384565464
>>384565293
Muh dick
>we will never get art direction this mundane yet unique ever again
>>
>>384565464
It looked so fucking good for 2008.
>>
>>384562243
>>
>>384565378
this yes
>>
File: 1364696790538.jpg (3MB, 7680x4320px) Image search: [Google]
1364696790538.jpg
3MB, 7680x4320px
>>384565594

It still looks good.
>>
>>384565593
>mundane yet unique

Well put. That's what I've been wanting to say, ME was a believable world, where you can imagine it existing, but it still stood out for its art (and architecture).

Shit like >>384565641 is painfully generic.
>>
>>384563995
>This is one of the genres where openworld is a godsend.
It is, but this game in particular does just about everything humanly possible to run every benefit it adds to the game.
Here is a fun fact: if you don't give your player proper vantage points and horizons, giving him the option to actually scout the route ahead and plan a bit - IN A GAME ABOUT FIGURING OUT YOUR OWN UNCONVENTIONAL ROUTE, you are doing the subject matter a major disservice.
>>
>>384563621
>1. The city and running are fucked because they have lost the focus of the first due to the open world meme. The first was effectively a racing game, with a route, and although there were a few different paths, it all went the same way. Open world RUINS this. You can't design a focused experience around open world.
Exactly my thoughts.
>>
>>384565763
Then you are a moron. There is literally no way around this. You are wrong and an idiot and you probably had not played the fucking game at ALL.
>>
>>384565740
But it gives you a big red direction you should run, so what's the problem? Why would anyone not want to have the game handhold them the whole way?
>>
>>384565818
There is a way around this. They could have used the first as an inspiration.
>>
>>384565818
Hmm?
>>
>>384565841
>But it gives you a big red direction you should run, so what's the problem?
The fact that it's impossible to navigate the damn maps without the directions is the problem. And the fact that it turns into "chase the red" rather than "read the city, learn to know it's flow, plan ahead, and then get running" is the problem. It's not about navigating the city, or making your own route. The map could be a giant maze of purely abstract platforms and it would not feel very different from what big portions of the map feel like. The element of anticipation, planning, just as well as the satisfaction derived from actually having a proper perspective of the ground you had covered are severally diminished.
The parkour is still good enough, the actual specific missions well-designed enough and a couple of not-completely screwed up segments of the city still make it worth playing through, but the amount of potential they had missed here is absolutely stunning.

>>384565860
>>384565868
You are both idiots. Play the game, stop parroting fucking retarded bullshit you heard some other retard who never played the game spout around here.
EVERYTHING that was in the first game IS in the second game.
it just has a lot of new thing too. The exact fucking approach to environmental design that the first game used is also used in the second. They did not change anything about what worked at core of the first fucking game you drooling mongoloids.
>>
Dice are idiots that don't realise why people like things.
>>
File: Mirrors_edge_city.jpg (65KB, 1136x639px) Image search: [Google]
Mirrors_edge_city.jpg
65KB, 1136x639px
>>384565378
Too me it really seemed more like they wanted to turn the trail run DLC levels into a city rather than just redo the first games city
>>
>>384564465
>>384564619

It's cool in Dying Light tho
>>
>>384566465
That way is presumably easier.
>>
>>384566532
Dying Light sucked
>>
File: synaesthesia_03_0.jpg (134KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
synaesthesia_03_0.jpg
134KB, 1280x720px
>>384566550
I don't really see how that would be easier, trying to take the aesthetic from those trail levels and trying to design those into a city seems more like a daunting task than just recreating ME1's city aesthetic
>>
>>384565378
Where can I find all Mirrors Edge paintings in hi-res?
>>
>>384566251
how's life working for EA
>>
File: QBCMmpgyqrogFcBCGYVtad.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
QBCMmpgyqrogFcBCGYVtad.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>384566969
>>
>>384566993
I'm sure they'll be on some vidya screenshots site
>>
>>384567010
wew anon that sure is an argument right there if I've ever seen one
>>
>>384567010
Half of the post is literally explaining what is fundamentally wrong with the game's design.

But sure. Shilling. That is your conclusion.
>>
>>384567146
I just can't see how someone could honestly claim that it has the spirit of the first game.
>>
File: mirrorsedgecatalyst_1783813.png (235KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
mirrorsedgecatalyst_1783813.png
235KB, 650x366px
>>384567063
>>
>>384566969
Tfw the PC version never got these dlc maps
>>
>>384567695
It didn't?

I often wonder why ME never had a level designer.
>>
>>384567695
You can tho, just not with the Steam version
>>
>>384566784
Time to get off this thread bye all
>>
>>384567748
Because it's EA, duh. They don't want consumers having rights and shiet, making their own maps forever. They want people buying DLCs and new games. They want their shit to have short lifecycles.

>>384567781
That map in particular is PS3 exclusive, but it is frustrating that the rest of the maps are on Origin but not Steam.
>>
>>384567434
First of all, nobody is claiming that. Second of all, you would actually understand better if you played the game. Instead of parroting the same old tired "open world is bad, m'kay?" shit just because you heard it from the other cool kids in the kindergarden.

The game did not sacrifice anything. It's that simple. Go play the game. Go play the actual main story segments. And you'll see that they have absolutely the same fucking design and core mechanic structure as in the previous games.

There is also some NEW shit on top of it, but the original fucking mechanics and design philosophy is there. It did not take something out, and replace it with something new (well, outside of the combat): it took the previous game, and then just said - well we could also add this whole open world ON TOP OF HAVING THE SAME EXACT CHAIN OF SIMILARLY DESIGNED LINEAR RACE-COURSE-LIKE MISSIONS that the fucking first game had.

And we can fucking discuss how they completely underused the open world (which they did), or how the new combat system is just as bad as the old one (it is), or how the art direction and soundtrack fucking sucks compared to the first (they do) or how the story is just as asinine and pointless as in the first game (it is), or how they fucked up the balance on much of the side-content (they did).

But stop fucking whinning about how they "totally missed what made the mechanics of the first game appealing" because they did not. They actually transplanted all of it nearly-untouched. And then added a whole fucking lot more. Maybe the new stuff is of questionable quality on it's own, but it in no way compromises the actual mechanical core of the first game: that is all STILL HERE, BASICALLY UNTOUCHED.

And you would actually know that if you played the motherfucking thing.
>>
File: pic.jpg (1MB, 1734x2039px) Image search: [Google]
pic.jpg
1MB, 1734x2039px
>>384562189
>>384565464
>tfw my local convention center has a color scheme similar to the city in Mirror's Edge

I always like going there for my japanese anime conventions because it reminds me of the game, looks cool.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (58KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
58KB, 1280x720px
>>384567673
>>
>>384567948
That's a lot of words to defend something trash
>>
File: hQmJaNt.jpg (125KB, 1456x819px) Image search: [Google]
hQmJaNt.jpg
125KB, 1456x819px
>>384568154
t. didn't read anything that was posted
>>
>>384568239
Why would I want to? It's clearly defending indefensible things.
>>
File: 1496709132444.png (209KB, 965x722px) Image search: [Google]
1496709132444.png
209KB, 965x722px
>tfw you realize you'll have to learn coding and a bunch of other shit in order to ever play a good game again
sigh
>>
File: Hiroshima.jpg (331KB, 800x650px) Image search: [Google]
Hiroshima.jpg
331KB, 800x650px
>>384562189
>>384562243
People have been righfully criticizing gameplay and story in the reboot, but I rarely see other people even mentioning the failure that was the visuals in the reboot.
There are several reasons why Catalyst looks so bad compared to it's predecessor. The first one being the shift towards generic sci fi city. It's like the original was inspired by Hiroshima (pic related) and Catalyst being inspired by Tokyo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0sM7ZU0Nwo (8:45)
Most importantly is probably that they used baked lighting in the original that was done by a third party, Illuminate labs.
https://www.slideshare.net/DICEStudio/henrikgdc09-compat
Catalyst uses some dynamic colour bleeding, but it's not as prominent and is overshadowed by the ridiculous amount of glossy effects.
Then there is the fact that the original was a linear game and Catalyst being open world.
The original ME was a narrow handcrafted project with good direction, while Catalyst was this big project copypasted mess that was made by people who did not know why the original was so loved.
>>
>>384568274
Eh?
>>
File: 562.jpg (331KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
562.jpg
331KB, 1920x1080px
>>384568272
How would you know what it is he is defending if you didn't even read his posit you mong
>>
The first one was shit too
>>
>>384568389
I sometimes wonder why baked light isn't used more. It makes things look so unique.
>>
>>384568389
>but I rarely see other people even mentioning the failure that was the visuals in the reboot
Can't tell if this is meant to be ironic, literally the first thing to ever be brought up in any ME thread is the redesigned city aesthetic
>>
>>384568529
Fuck you
>>
>>384568125
Well shieeeeeeet. Where's it?
>>
>>384568681
Actually it's usually some bullshit about faith being ugly. Or feminism. Or something irrelevant, rather than all the things they fucked up that matter.
>>
>>384563186
I agree with you on most thing but
>clean-cyberpunk
It's dystopian futuristic but not cyberpunk since the game never touch any cyberpunk thematic.
>>
>>384568812
GRB downtown Houston
>>
>>384568616
What is baked light?
>>
>>384565378
By trying to have a more clean/smooth fell they made the game look like it's missing texturing.
>>
File: 521.jpg (331KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
521.jpg
331KB, 1920x1080px
>>384569119
Its honestly getting really annoying how cyberpunk is loosing any and all meaning as more and more people just slap that word onto anything
>>
File: 1377333048224.jpg (30KB, 174x352px) Image search: [Google]
1377333048224.jpg
30KB, 174x352px
I unironically liked it.
>>
File: mirrors_edge_green_utility.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
mirrors_edge_green_utility.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>384568681
Well, that's good to hear. I haven't peeked into a ME thread since Catalyst came out, and at that time they all complained about the skilltree, story and feminism.
>>
>>384569242
First result: https://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/9993/what-does-it-mean-to-bake-lights

In a nutshell:
Mirror's Edge environments are static, to calculate lightning on the spot is a waste of time, so use an external program to calculate light, plaster the result as a texture.

Which means that the process is lighter and can look better.
Left 4 Dead 2, among, many many other games does it and mentions it in the commentary, how they calculated the lightning for a pile of corpses and then placed it in the game.
>>
>>384567673
That zone of the city in particular was when I just knew they weren't even going to try.

That map should be preserved as the ultimate masterpiece in clusterfuckiness, uglyness, bad taste, incoherence and ultimate lack of talent.
>>
>>384568389
Maybe read the bloody thread next time.
The reasons why ME:C looks so much worse than the previous games is really just that it completely gave up on the ambition to be modeled after actual, real architecture. The houses don't look like houses. The roofs don't look like roofs. The connections between buildings don't look like connections between buildings. It's a labyrinth that serves as a gameplay-arena, that was only retroactively air-brushed to kinda-sorta-look like a city. Except they also made the arena very poorly too, but that is another problem.

The lighting is not the issue. The linearity or non-linearity is not the issue. Also Catalyst has in NO FUCKING WAY been inspired by Tokio, not even in your wildest dreams. It's not inspired by anything and that is the exclusive and entire problem of it's terrible art direction.
>>
>>384569119
Oppression is there I guess
>>
>>384568616
I think it's simply due to the fact that it requires alot of work and game engines have developed pretty good dynamic lighting systems.
Mirror's Edge will stand as proof of how good a more handcrafted game can look compared to those that rely on advanced technology.
>>
Is the city still lifeless and shitty?
>>
>>384569678
It's based on Dubai though
>>
File: 1500284594752.jpg (50KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
1500284594752.jpg
50KB, 400x388px
>>384561985
MEC threads really do bring out the worst of the mouth breathing crowd (pic related), which is quite fascinating. The way people talk as if the first ME was a near-perfect game, ignoring the fact that the story was complete garbage and technically the game was completely fucking broken (which helped it stay alive for a long time via the speed running community) only to accuse MEC of similar short comings showcases the type of brain damage you often see in severe motor vehicle accident survivors. MEC is a great game and a great sequel to its predecessor, let down by a number of questionable design choices and a story that's not very good. Regardless, it's still a blast to play and it looks oh so damn beautiful. Bought it when it released and I'm still play it a couple of times a month.
>>
>>384570292
>ignoring the fact that the story was complete garbage
>caring about story in video games at all.
>especially when you can skip.

>sequel to its predecessor
It's a reboot, numbskull.
>>
>>384561985
Just like DS3: Try to appeal a wider audience.

>"the game needs to seel 4 trillions copies to be profitable. So if the game flops, it's because consumers didnt support the game".
>>
>>384570439
What about it was trying to appeal to a wider audience
>>
Some level were freaking good in catalyst. Only main level I don't like is the last part of the end mission where you climb the tower with the hook.
>>
>>384570292
>MEC threads really do bring out the worst of the mouth breathing crowd (pic related)

Don't talk about yourself so hard, anon.
>>
>>384570538
>open world meme
>>
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNZuI4Q8YK8

>0:30
>that hair

No need to watch more.
>>
>>384561985
didnt they go around talking about how they hired lots ofd SJW's or some nonsense?

That is never a selling point.
>>
>>384570114
That worked in the first though. It showed the disconnect between normies and runners
>>
File: 1500100924426.jpg (271KB, 1680x2581px) Image search: [Google]
1500100924426.jpg
271KB, 1680x2581px
>>384562445
>>it's a prequel/reboot
>>technology is more advanced
>>
aw shit op. I wanted to place this.
>>
>>384570798
Don't know but I think the game cover was enough to make people don't want to buy the game.
Faith look horrible on the cover compare to her in-game model.
>>
>>384570798
I only remember anita saying that ME was one of her favorite games (it was the time when she was still pretending to actually play games) and how excited she was to play ME2.
>>
One of the things that annoyed me was that for an open world game there wasn't much else to do. You couldn't enter ground level, there were no city events going on like police VTROLs on patrol, you couldnt interact with other players real time, most of the side quests were fetch quests and you couldn't interact with the city itself.

My favorite spot in the game was "The View" for being a nice little resort near the bay but it was barren. You barely hear people talking about the city or whatever's going on with their lives. Not even going to get into the blurry scenery or design
>>
>>384561985
>Faith is ugly now

She's like 8 times more attractive than she was in the first game. If anything I see more people complain that she's less progressive now.
>>
File: ME.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ME.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>384569678
The OP asked why Catalyst fucked up so hard and I tried to shed some sort of light on it.
I was trying to draw a comparison of the two games with two cities in the real world.
>The houses don't look like houses
>The roofs don't look like roofs
>The connections between buildings don't look like connections between buildings
Sounds like bauhaus architecture to me, but I guess you can't call that real architecture.
>>
>>384570714
I'd argue a game about parkour would benefit from larger more complex levels or even an open world as opposed to crawling a lot in vents.
MEC just fucked up that aspect hard.
>>
>>384571075
Some house look good.
>>
File: Mirrors-Edge-The-View.jpg (977KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Mirrors-Edge-The-View.jpg
977KB, 1920x1080px
>>384571046
I know people love to shit on the city design of Catalyst but I'd say that The View one of the areas where the aesthetic really works
>>
>>384561985
because they let feminist like anita comment on the game her suggest were
"make it easier women cant get such complicated controls and by making the game controllers complicated your oppressing women gamers w"ho cant understand male control setups"
so they dumb everything down and insulted not only the core fans but every female gamer ever
>>
>>384571361
Citation needed on that quote anon, oh wait that never happened
>>
>>384571286
It works 90% of the time - people are just contrarians. I mean, you actually have people defending the baked lighting of the old in favour of wonderful dynamic lighting tech they implemented here.
>>
File: whatthefuckamireading.png (23KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
whatthefuckamireading.png
23KB, 400x400px
>>384571361
>>
>>384571126
It feels for me that they just didn't know in which direction go with sequel that's why all those years in dvelopment. But then they saw the open world trend and give it a try.
>>
>>384571361
None of this is true, and it might explain why the game did such a poor job of actually expanding on what made the first game good: the fact that half of the "audience" is drooling paranoid mongoloids like you living an complete delusion, meaning that there is no point in actually trying to impress anyone but morons anyway.

Seriously, this is beyond pathetic, and makes you look actually just as bad, if not worse, then SJW you like to criticize. It's just pure lies, there is not even the slightest shred of truth behind this.
>>
File: 4gjnibujhhjy.png (2MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
4gjnibujhhjy.png
2MB, 1680x1050px
>>384571286
I really wished they manipulated aspects of The View and differentiated other zones more. There was so much potential here like adding a story arc. Too big for the game probably but it would've been fun
>>
>>384571361
But anon, the game isn't dumbed down. It's just boring and tedious as fuck compared to the tight and focused first game. Visuals also took a huge hit. MEC is a blurry mess on max settings while the first was sharp and detailed.
>>
>>384571576
>But then they saw the open world trend and give it a try
That would make sense if it wasn't for the fact that most reviews of the original when it came out made mention of wanting it to be open world
>>
>>384571449
>>384571612
i know it didnt happen im just fucking hurt that MEC was a huge piece of shit
its my way of trying to justify why MEC is a huge dumpsterfire
>>
>>384571576
No. Even the first game was supposed to be open-worlded from the start, and the open world direction was easily the most common demand of the userbase and critics once it was released and also a completely fucking logical next step.

It's everything else they did not know what to do with. Story, art direction, combat, settings, progression, all of those things are clearly confused and not thought through. But the idea that it's going to be open world, because that is actually the correct way to take this core concept, has been obvious and clear and established from the very start of the series.

For fuck sake: people, think a little. Just because some other games use open-world as a "we don't know where to take it so that is what we do" gimmick does not mean that EVERY open world game has this issue. Is it really so fucking hard to think about individual works, and not just fucking adopt stupid meme buzzphrases?
>>
>>384571361
Fuck off. I'm sick of these threads ending up being a muh feminism wank fest when the game had plenty of legitimate things to complain about.
>>
>>384571526
>people defending the baked lighting of the old
Because it looks better.
>>
>>384571774
By being an obnoxious retard spewing misinformation?
wow what a great way of coping you have
>>
>>
>>384571850
hey i didnt say i was not a idiot and a retard
>>
>>384571819
This sort of garbage opinion is precisely why I'm thankful retards like you aren't in any sort of creative charge.
>>
>>384570736
>>384571286
These are prime examples of what went wrong with Catalyst. Yes, it does have the white buildings with bright colors here and there, but it's missing the colors bouncing on different surfaces like in the original.
Like this:
>>384571075
>>384569476
>>384565691
Mirror's Edge has it's white walls and floor colored by nearby colorfull surfaces. That's what makes it so beautiful.
Catalyst however barely does that and instead relies on glossy effects and reflections.
>>
Let's not jerk the first ME off too hard. While the second is undeniably worse, the first game has a major problem with:

>Combat being a miserable e-brake on a fast moving experience
>shit enemy placement in those combat sections, but this point rolls into the previous one
>the entire last level

I also figured that, after thinking hard about ME1 after playing it, a sequel could easily fix people's complaints and a greater budget could potentially extend the length of the missions while keeping you focused and level-based.

But EA...
>>
>>384571997
Nice ad hominem here, brah.
>>
>>384572120
>but it's missing the colors bouncing on different surfaces
Except it's impossible for that to happen because the lighting is baked in, you stupid fucking retard. What you're slow brain is actually trying to communicate is that you prefer the high contrast look, which ME used (together with the baked lighting) to make its texture look more pronounced then they actually are. >>384571075 proves this just by looking at the outside section to the the left. MEC uses dynamic lighting that replicates the real world and it looks fantastic.
>>
I think EA made the game bad on purpose, that they could shift the blame on the fans.

>See! YOU guys asked for sequel and we gave it to you! But since you didn't support the game we won't make anymore.

They did the same shit with Dead Space. You can tell when EA is tired of franchise that isn't bringing in CoD numbers.
>>
>>384568616
It takes both time and artistic skill to make it look good, while dynamic light is just something you make once (or more realistically just buy from duke other company) and you don't have to worry about.

Basically devs are lazy/publishers are cheap.
>>
>>384572526
Anon, why would they even waste resources and money rebooting a game from almost ten years ago JUST so they could self sabotage the project just to give them an excuse to not make another, the fuck kind of ass backwards conspiracy logic are you workin with here anon.
>>
>>384572526
Except Catalyst is not a sequel, it's a origin-story-reboot.
with only 1 game (flash games don't count) it was hardly a franchise.
The team that handled Catalyst were just talentless fucks, much like the Mass Defect Andromeda team.
>>
>>384572851
Yeah they just press a button and poof all lighting is done for them, nigga you dumb as fuck
>>
>>384572526
That's dumb as fuck and clearly not true. Don't assume there's a conspiracy when it's just incompetence
>>
>>384572880
>>384572892
>>384573029
You're not fooling anyone.
>>
>>384573203
Don't you have a tin-foil hat to wear.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1002KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1002KB, 640x400px
>>384573203
Nah you're just dumb, I'm sorry anon
>>
File: 1499323601903.jpg (64KB, 573x611px) Image search: [Google]
1499323601903.jpg
64KB, 573x611px
>>384572892
>The team that handled Catalyst were just talentless fucks
>>
>>384572976
Where did I say that? I just said it takes way less work since you don't have to light everything individually and can much more easily outsource development since dynamic lighting doesn't have to be made in conjunction with other parts of the game.
>>
You all have terrible opinions
>>
>>384571178
Look good? Maybe. Believable? Fuck no. That's the problem. ME was aesthetic and grounded in reality. Catalyst is fantasy land.
>>
>Everyone forgets that Mirror's Edge was bloom city, blinding you near constantly
>>
>>384572470
>Except it's impossible for that to happen because the lighting is baked in, you stupid fucking retard

Fuck you

Baked light is the reason we can have much better colour reflections, as they're rendered over a period of time by powerful PCs instead of on the fly by a shitty individual graphics card.

Pre-rendering will ALWAYS look better than doing things real time.
>>
>>384575386
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uROQ9nplxIY
>>
>>384575208
>wah my eyes
Stop being a cuck.
>>
File: DDmbOKHXcAEVttO.jpg (18KB, 386x376px) Image search: [Google]
DDmbOKHXcAEVttO.jpg
18KB, 386x376px
>>384561985
>How is it possible a studio could miss the point of why people liked something this hard?

EA.
>>
>>384575668
Actually I think it's DICE that were full retard here.
>>
>>384575684
All I know is that if EA is involved, games/series that start well always end horribly.

See Mass Effect and Dead Space. Good start, promising series, then they turn into burning dumpster fires. Whether it's due to EA's meddling directly or simply their influence over various design decisions (such as Catalyst having an open world or leveling to appeal to more audiences) everything they touch ends up dead. It's cool Mirror's Edge got another chance, but under EA it was never gonna go anywhere.
>>
>>384575949
I don't think I can blame this on EA because it was eight years later anyway. EA gave the funds to make it then Dice fucked it all up.
>>
>proper sequel never ever
>>
>>384570868
Discovery is in the nu trek universe
>>
>>384578007
The same as the film?
>>
>>384561985
For some reason they replaced the original protagonist with Mattress Girl and no one wanted to play as Mattress Girl in a video game.
>>
>>384575549
are you seriously trying to say that this movie would have looked better if it were rendering in real time?
>>
>>384579150
>pre-rendering always look better than doing things real time
>>
>>384579281
yes, so are you seriously trying to say that foodfight would look better running in real-time?

or are you some sort of autist who compartmentalizes every statement he reads and can't understand context or subtext? admittedly, the statement could use work, and should be further refined to "all else being equal, pre-rendering always allows for more complex graphical effects than doing things real-time".
>>
>>384561985
There's alot of problems open world brought to the game but one of the big ones for me was DICE's clear lack of understanding what made the original click with people. ME is a racing game, not an open world exploration game, but the issue with racing games is they need the one thing open world games lack in their level design - direction. The side quests in Catalyst make this especially obvious, it becomes a process of hoping you are running the route the developers intended and aren't about to hit a dead end, rather than refining/perfecting your run through the linear tracks of the original. In that way the running aspect of the game becomes more about luck rather than skill.

Adding a load screen on every trial restart was monumentally retarded as well, and again open world was likely the culprit as the original ME wouldn't have to reload it's self contained linear level again.
>>
>>384561985
>Faith is ugly
Faith was never ugly. She's prettier in catalyst than in the first one, even.
>>
>>384579536
>moving goalposts
And yeah, there are games in real time that look better than that fucking trash.
>>
>>384579796
>moving goalposts
you know for a moment when i posted i had hope that somebody on this cancerous-ass forum wouldn't call it "moving goalposts" when you refine a statement to better convey the original intent of its author

>And yeah, there are games in real time that look better than that fucking trash.
and those same games would look better if they had every effect pre-baked
>>
>>384579281
Yes. Your shitty video proves it.
>>
>>384578573
Yeah, sure. That's the reason it was bad. Because the main character bothered you.
>>
It was good
>>
>>384566784
nice opinion
>>
>tfw you'll never hear merc chatter in your ear because a bunch of retards shit on the story of the first game.

It wasn't shit and it wasn't great but it was good enough. Hope you fuckers enjoyed the in your face story of the second one. GO FAITH SAVE US ALL.
>>
>>384581390
It's a fact
>>
>>384579665
She looks terrible on the cover

As for the game I haven't played the 1st one in forever so I can't compare them but I think Catalyst going open world isn't necessarily bad. It lets you do all the parkour you've ever wanted. I haven't played Dying Light yet either so maybe Catalyst is just scratching an itch.
>>
Is there people in this one? Empty buildings and streets killed the immersion in the first for me but I enjoyed the gameplay. I think gamestop is selling it for less than the original right now.
>>
>>384561985
Worst was that mediocre train scene in ending which lasts 30 sec god i raged hard
>>
>>384581586
What was the complaint about the story in the first game? I thought it was pretty neat. Never got in the way of the game that much either.
>>
>>384581765
Yes there's some people and it ends up being even more immersion breaking. There are NPC's who need you to deliver items just standing around in set places on rooftops throughout the whole day.
>>
>>384582078

Oh god I'll just stuck with sunset overmeme then
>>
>>384581894
people hated the cartoon style cut scenes and thought the overall story was too basic.
>>
>>384582078
And if you run out of time despite being 2 feet away from the person you need to deliver to, you'll fail the quest and the side quest provider will be mad as fuck about it. It's the worst way of making open world side content.
>>
>>384582301
Oh yeah that too. Forgot about the amazing design
>>
>>384579573
Here's how you fix that shit: Remove the time limit from the open world side quests, give the player the freedom to move around the open world and complete them at their own pace, give XP bonuses as incentives for doing it quickly but leave it entirely optional. Add areas to the open world map that are similar in design to the original ME levels. Set them up as tracks created by other runners to test each other if you want an in-world excuse. These areas are where you run time trials, have them loop around and be small enough that the streaming shit that's likely being used for the open world doesn't take effect for instant restarts. Add your typical multiplayer leaderboards and all that, maybe even go all out and have you physically race other players or AI. Boom your side content is fixed.
>>
>>384561985
>How did they manage to fuck this up SO hard?

nobody cared about the first game, nobody from the first game was on the second game, nobody cared about the second game

why does this exist why did they think anyone would buy this especially with them making the protag ugly on purpose?
>>
>>384582294
>thought the overall story was too basic.
So that's why they made Faith and this fucboi compete for daddy's attention and approval? In some desperate attempt to make it complex?

>>384582473
>"hey runner, I want you to deliver this thing to a friend"
>"let me tell you the whole backstory of this important piece of memento and why I need you to deliver it to this friend of mine in the hopes that he'll remember how things were back then etc. while you're parkouring all the way to him"
>timer counts to 0:00 a mere step away from the dude
>"OMG YOU RUINED EVERYTHING"
>>
>>384582301
That's such bullshit

Honestly I thought it should work as a payment system, where you get the payment promised if you make it on time, and then the pay slowly ticks down if you're over time.
>>
>>384582646
>why does this exist why did they think anyone would buy this especially with them making the protag ugly on purpose?

I hate that people are still going on about this fucking meme complaint as if it holds any sort of bearing on reality.

It's like the guy saying "they made it bad on purpose". They didn't. They just fucked up.
>>
>>384582858
they clearly without ANY doubt made the protagonist ugly on purpose dude they took her from beautiful girl to "Believable asian"

you probably dont understand what she looked like at first, the release version is different

when ONE OF THE MOTIVATIONS BEHIND THE GAME WAS CLEARLY "MUH RACIAL DIVERSITY" BASED ON THE FIRST ART, are you surprised people hated it?? get that shit the fuck out of games
>>
>>384583009
calm down
>>
Did anyone actually think this would be good after the website went up once the first trailer dropped at e3 and you saw that greeting message from the dice woman who was leading the team?

>Women
>>
>>384583009
Faith is pretty in-game though. I'm not sure what you're on about. Shame that the game is a tedious and boring slog.
>>
File: faith.jpg (268KB, 1770x648px) Image search: [Google]
faith.jpg
268KB, 1770x648px
>>384583009
Fuck off.

On the left, Faith from 1. On the right, Faith from Catalyst.

There's so much fucking wrong with the game and cunts are still peddling the "OMG SHE'S UGLY NOW" bullshit.
>>
>>384582294
>cartoon style cut scenes

Good lord how could I forgot how awful that shit was.
>>
>>384583236
faith from catalyst that nobody saw, an in game shot from a game nobody played.

here's the faith from catalyst that EVERYONE saw

where the character was INTENTIONALLY MADE UGLY with EXAGGERATED ASIAN FEATURES as a form of VIRTUE SIGNALING
>>
>>384583680
Christ you're like a fucking parody, right down to the caps lock. Consider killing yourself if this is what bothers you about the game and not the gorillion shitty changes it made to art and gameplay.
>>
>>384583778
IT'S
WHAT
KILLED
THE
GAME
IN
TERMS
OF
INTEREST
AND
SALES

ps the first game was bad also
>>
>>384583854
Get the fuck off /v/
>>
>>384583236
I didn't like the design of Faith in ME2. How can she parkour when her hair is covering her eye? Her clothes seem really restricting too, tight bottoms and some weird vest.

I actually think in ME2 she looks less asian.

I liked in the first that the parkour was almost puzzle like. You would have thought that ME would be perfect for open world but somehow it wasn't, maybe it was how they did it and how they tried to complicate the design and world too much.
>>
>>384583680
She looks, I dunno, Samoan or something here instead of Asian. Looks much better in-game but Christ it's one blurry ass game even on max settings.
>>
>>384583881
>i-i don't like how you type because you use capital letters

i'll type at you however i want you little faggot i've been on the internet since 1994 get off my fuckin webs kid
>>
>>384584261
>random blur filter on her face?
>texture in the background isn't mapped properly

what the fuck
>>
>>384562189
>MUH DEVOID OF INTEREST
>IM A KEK AND IM GOING TO CRY AND WHINE for A WEEK STRAIGHT ON 4CHAN OVER A 5 DOLLAR GAME WAAAAH WOE IS ME XDD!!!11
>>
>>384584432
God damn has the quality of posting here gone down recently.
>>
>>384584404
Yeap. That's on Hyper settings with reflections on Low. I tried lowering the post processing to get rid of the overall blur but it didn't work. The game's just blurry all the time.
>>
>>384584432
>MUH PHRASE FROM POST
>I'M A 5000 KILOGRAM POMEGRANATE AND I AM *NOT* PLEASED
>>
>>384584261
I get the impression that they kind of 'westernized' her, she definitely looks less asian in comparison to ME1 Faith.
>>
>>384584775
Maybe because she's mixed? I can't recall whether they mentioned it in the first game but apparently her mum is white and her dad is Asian in MEC. It's too bad, I don't think there's a chance for another ME game anymore considering the mess that MEC is.
>>
>>384584575
it's some kind of postprocessing that's supposed to make it look "better"

what were they thinking
>>
>>384568125
Wide open spaces with carpeted floors are pure aesthetic to me. Am I autistic?
>>
>>384585223
Not that guy but yeah, it's some kind of post process AA that they're using. You can dive into the ini files or something to turn it off but you'll enter jagged city as a result. Image becomes a lot sharper but good lord the aliasing.
>>
File: 1.png (705KB, 1102x358px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
705KB, 1102x358px
>>384584261
ME1 Faith always reminded me of Anna Akana.
>>
>>384584261
>Samoan
Nah she still looks asian.
>>384584118
>less asian
Wrong
>>
>>384561985
>How did they manage to fuck this up SO hard?

That's what happens when you hire sjw to make your shit.
>>
>>384585586
If you read you can clearly see I said I 'think'.

I can't be wrong about my own opinion.
>>
File: uhhh.jpg (533KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
uhhh.jpg
533KB, 1920x1080px
>>384583680
>>
>>384585962
micro dronez nigga

not in the game i'm assuming
>>
>>384583680
Is there fucking glass in her knee?
>>
File: 1442432246614.jpg (43KB, 340x296px) Image search: [Google]
1442432246614.jpg
43KB, 340x296px
>>384561985
>I mean that they fucked up literally everything that people liked about the previous game.
People liked the previous game?
>>
>>384586089
Drones in-game were all big enough to hang on. >>384585962 makes it look like Faith is King motherfucking Kong.
>>
>>384586089
They are in the game, towards the end. You have to jump on one.
>>
File: 203803-p2[1].jpg (29KB, 480x330px) Image search: [Google]
203803-p2[1].jpg
29KB, 480x330px
>>384586093
IT'S A MICRO DRONE NIGGA
>>
>>384561985
All they had to do was just make the first game again, but with new levels and higher res graphics. Why is that difficult for them?
>>
>>384586221
Yep, me.
>>
>>384586221
What was so bad about the first one? I didnt play it.
>>
>>384583236
Her hair is nicer in the first game, her clothing is nicer and her face is less pointy and greasy looking. She's much prettier in the first game.
>>
File: Hullo.jpg (6KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
Hullo.jpg
6KB, 225x225px
>>384586221
Why would you not like the first game? It's really good.
>>
>>384565641
That fucking blurred window
>>
>>384587085
Bad level design
Shit story
Terrible combat
>>
>>384568616
Because dynamic lighting is more flexible. Used to be every FPS had a flashlight to show off.
>>
>>384586221
People only liked the previous game when they got it for under $5 on steam. It was just as under the radar as the sequel.

Fucking wannabe hipster cunts are truly the worst.
>>
>>384586089
You can find them in-game.
>>
>>384571997
It does look better. It's not as technologically impressive, but the result is more attractive.
>>
Haven't played Catalyst but I always felt like Mirrors edge would be one of the few games that would benefit from going open world.

Theres literally nothing wrong with open world games. The only thing wrong would be the developers who fail at making them good.
>>
File: wait a minute that wall.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
wait a minute that wall.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
wait a minute......
>>
>>384571286
That was my favorite area! The use of magenta is gorgeous. Even better when you find that huge swinging gap and can just admire the views.
>>
Catalyst lack a bit of narration through the world. You always had a few details lying around in the first game, like the janitor.
>>
>>384589038
that bitch just took a shot of you and sent it to krugersec's instagram
>>
File: 1461643770262.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1461643770262.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
>shitty dynamic lighting
>fucking disgusting popin and blurry textures up to the highest resolution the game offers, it's always blurred like a fucking ps2 game
>GODAWFUL reflections, especially considering half of the fucking world is made of glass and plastic
>NO FUCKING BUMPMAPPING ANYWHERE THE BUMPMAPS MADE THE FIRST GAME SO BEAUTIFUL
>"dynamic music system" doesn't really fucking work because you hear the same short clips of the music while running around the open world EVERY SINGLE TIME because although there's eight or so hours of great tracks from solar fields less than maybe a fuckign third of it is used and of that maybe 1/10 are used in the open world
I FUCKING HATE IT THE MUSIC IS SO BAD THE FIRST GAMES MUSIC WAS PERFECT REEEEEEEEEEEE WHY MAKE IT DYNAMIC
>>
File: MEc.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
MEc.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>
File: 5_-_Magazine_cover_1_-_detail.png (988KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
5_-_Magazine_cover_1_-_detail.png
988KB, 1280x720px
>>384583680
this is original concept art from the first game
look at the similarities
>>
>>384589906
Keep posting these anon I love them desu

>>384589846
The music is great, gtfo deaf anon.
>>
File: 69 - KX46Jds.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
69 - KX46Jds.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>384590197
did you miss the part where I praised the music but not the way it was implimented
the actual soundtrack that I can only fucking find on spotify because dude fuck selling people it to keep is fantastic
I've listened to it through almost as much as I have the original games ost
for something more positive about the game I love the interior design in the view district
>>
>>384590350
>but not the way it was implimented
Yeah and I'm calling you deaf babe because it was implemented well.
>>
>>384590872
And I'm calling you a fucking mong for thinking so
Can you remember a time you heard anything other than the generic twenty second loop while moving around the open world
>>
File: MEcKrugerSec.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
MEcKrugerSec.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>384586947
If they did that people would cry "LAZY"
>>
File: MEc2.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
MEc2.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>
File: Vector2_small.jpg (1MB, 3000x1352px) Image search: [Google]
Vector2_small.jpg
1MB, 3000x1352px
>>384566993
I sadly don't have the painting collection, but here's a bunch of different versions of this painting some guy made by vectorizing the original and applying textures on it. The highres versions are really highres.
https://mega.nz/#!As9jyRJL!4hzCa8i9B-T9LoKvjzSJwggVA5sihdlDcFFmTjEz_Tg
>>
i actually really enjoyed catalyst, also the new combat was fucking hilarious, dudes would just throw themselves off buildings
>>
File: 47 - n4BoGKg.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
47 - n4BoGKg.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>384591635
I forgot how much I love those little window robots
it's such a neat detail and they look so cute
>>
>>384591543
It's too fucking sci fi
>>
>>384578007

I'm like 99% sure that Bryan Fuller specifically said this isn't true.
>>
File: Fans.webm (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Fans.webm
2MB, 1920x1080px
>tfw no maintenance hideout
>>
>>
File: 1446900340539.jpg (579KB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1446900340539.jpg
579KB, 3840x2160px
>>384562189
>>384563621
>>384565464
>>384565691
>>384589906
>tfw born too early to live in a city like this
>>
>>384562189
>They took a flawed gem
>flawed gem
lol nostalgia fags
>>
It could never have lived up to the first one. It was almost magical by accident. I don't think the devs even fully understood what about the first game touched so many people. They seemed to think it was JUST the gameplay, but there was the level of mystery, obscurity and confusion that made the game feel grounded and magical.

The second game removes every ounce of mystery and wonder and replaces it with angst and """AAA""""" popcorn-flick story and characters. Took away things like hidden abilities that are never explained to you how to do. Took away things like the freedom to use or not to use guns. Took away absolutely anything and everything that might lead to experimentation. That was the problem.

That being said, I am enjoying playing through it. but ME 1 is one of my favorite games of all time, and this is not that.

>Those hidden mice
>hidden pictures
>hidden story elements
>fighting Pirandello Krueger Runner Killers in their training facility for the first time
>discovering how extensive the combat is by accident
>Train sequence
>dat timing on stealing guns (then dropping them)
>Solar Fields actually trying to impress

God damn.
>>
>>384592675
>fighting Pirandello Krueger Runner Killers in their training facility for the first time
God that was so fucking cool.
>>
File: 1499365680173.jpg (37KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1499365680173.jpg
37KB, 640x640px
>>384592975
>Talk to best friend after he played it
>"Dude how about that fucking fight with the Pirandello Krueger guys?"
>"You fought them?"
>".....yeah, of course, did you not?"
>"I just ran, I thought you were supposed to run away."
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1QkVMo0_5c

man i get goosebumps every time i listen to this and remember that first reveal trailer. i didn't actually hate the game, it had problems but i got it really cheap and it was the only game with parkour. it also looked gorgeous.

i believe that was the best year for EA at e3, i think they announced mirror's edge, dead space and another new ip. they were making a push towards 'being the good guys' or something, didn't last long though
>>
File: 1477479563039.jpg (104KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1477479563039.jpg
104KB, 640x360px
>>384593119
>having a problem about running away in a game about running and parkour
>faith's occupation is 'runner'
>>
>>384593194
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqFLp0jI8lY

This is the best on the soundtrack to me. It's so weirdly hopeful and futuristic.
>>
>>384593194
I unironically think that EA were a good publisher in 2008.

Only for that one year though.
>>
>>384593194
>tfw when dead space, Mirror's Edge and Fallout 3 all came out within 3 months of each other

Have yet to experience a release window this game-changing

>>384593291
That was his logic too, and says more about how great the first game is. The fact that, the encounter leaves ANY room for interpretation and facilitates either opinion is uncanny. I love that game so much.
>>
File: 1498651973295.png (690KB, 850x464px) Image search: [Google]
1498651973295.png
690KB, 850x464px
>>384593291
>being a pussy

Yeah yeah, whatever man
>>
>>384593194
>>384593315
That fucking soundtrack man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZoHgTle2fw

It was so ahead of its time.
>>
Fuck dice and EA
>>
>>384594421
It wasn't EA's fault
>>
>>384569119
>futuristic
>opression
>corporations
>lower classes are fucked
>brutal police forces vs muh resistance
how is it not cyberpunk
>>
>>384595005
Then who fucked it up?
>>
>>384596334
mirror's edge is just 'punk'
>>
>>384562189
Games like this remind me of bands you hear circulated for years without a proper EP, then the moment they get an engineer/producer to release an actual Album the music sounds like shit, or at the very least, not what you started following them for in the first place.

Mirrors edge pulls this off perfectly.
>>
>>384596334
For this to be cyberpunk you need to make them intereact with a transhuman setting. The cyber part of cyberpunk is important otherwise any dystopian futur city is cyberpunk.
>>
>>384590110
the original was supposed to rely more on shooting and less on running back in concept stage, I remember reading that in an old magazine. There are some leftover mechanics left that kinda prove that (if you have a handgun, jump and press q, you can do sort of maxpayne shootdodge thing, you can do a lot of parkour movements with a handgun in your hand etc). Glad they didn't go that way but I'm still curious about how this would go.
>>
>>384596948
>you need to make them intereact with a transhuman setting
well that would be 100% gibson style cyberpunk, give it a break. They have some sort of VR in their contact lenses, with corporate ads and shit, duh.

It really bothers me in the same way DX:HR and DX:MD did. Deux Ex 1 and Mirror's Edge 1 were pretty accurate predictions about how world would look in future - not too realistic, but just realistic enough with just enough of videogamey stuff thrown in, because it is supposed to be fun and original, as those games were. Fast forward 10-15 years later, millenial developers go balls to the wall futuristic cyberpunk that makes no sense at all. Still unclear to me how DICE fucked game world so much.
>>
>>384597303
A lot of fiction has this issue lately, kids need to back off the CGI, bullshit and just write/create to the definition of the genre they are engage in. Don't be unique motherfucker.
Thread posts: 282
Thread images: 70

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.