[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Well, /v/, is he right? Should one play games for enjoyment casually

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 10

Well, /v/, is he right? Should one play games for enjoyment casually instead of competitively? On easy mode enjoying the scenery/art instead of hard mode and taking the biggest challenges?
>>
challenge >>>>>>>>>>>> mindless enjoyment

any day
>>
gaming isn't an art and competitive is only worth it if you get something out of it
>>
>mobile games
>enjoyable
Oh boy I sure do love needing to stop for hours waiting for my "stamina" to refresh and work around blatant paywall.
>>
File: theburningwall.jpg (172KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
theburningwall.jpg
172KB, 1920x1080px
>>384561559
>he doesn't like to walk around and check out the world he's playing in.
>>
>>384561176
You should play however makes you happy. If you like beating hard single player challenges or fiercely competitive multiplayer you should do that. If you like power-tripping through easier challenges or goofing around in unranked casual multiplayer, you should do that.

We've got a limited time on this ball of dirt before we're relegated to a small patch of dirt six feet down. If you aren't enjoying your free time to try and look internet tough you are wasting your life away.
>>
"is he right" threads should be bannable.
>>
>>384561916
Is he right, /v/?
>>
File: hardcoregamin2.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
hardcoregamin2.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>
File: 1401954771675.jpg (22KB, 363x364px) Image search: [Google]
1401954771675.jpg
22KB, 363x364px
>>384561176
For me playing for fun means trying my best, improving, working hard to overcome my limitations and becoming a better player. And then enjoying the benefits of the improvement and pubstomping every game.

You might not agree with me, but you can't tell me that my competitive oriented approach is not "playing for fun".
"I play just for fun" is usually an excuse people who can't get good or don't want to get good will use to remain bad at the games they play, uninvested for some reason even though they sink dozens, sometimes hundreds of hours into said games.
I just wanna get good, man.
>>
i'm playing granblue right fucking now
>>
>>384561176
so am i right in thinking this scene was talking about bullshit ranking events or something
>>
>>384562079
I thought he just didn't want to compete in tournaments as was proven by the awards and games they bought with prize money since he probably doesn't want to bring the team down as he knows he'll never try to get better.
>>
File: 1481349390228.png (129KB, 314x278px) Image search: [Google]
1481349390228.png
129KB, 314x278px
>beta as fuck mc
>no seriously he's beta as fucking shit
>mfw beta mc rejects a girl twice when she invited him to vidya
if he doesn't do this shit for the whole series i'll be disappointed
>>
>>384562006
speedrunning community.webm
>>
>>384561393
Do you feel more "skillful" after beating a hard game?
If you love challenges why are you still sitting in your room playing video games instead of doing real things like sports, academia, business, and other projects?
Challenges are fine, but not everyone has 100 hours to put into a single game. If you're short on time then there's nothing wrong with playing casually and enjoying the game.
>>
>>384561176
Competition is fun
I find shit like puzzles and dragons as enjoying as watching paint dry
>>
Mobile games are just trash that honestly and truly only exist to get loads of money off whales. The $10 casuals drop every month isn't shit compared to the thousands saudi oil princes and similar ilk drop every week. Even worse, the games are garbage with cheap art from literal whos, poor animation, barebones gameplay that's shared between every game these companies own, and are ultimately just a scam. Even if you don't put any money into them there's better things you could be playing instead of scraps from the garbage can.
>>
File: nice.png (268KB, 758x458px) Image search: [Google]
nice.png
268KB, 758x458px
>>384562006
i agree
>>
>>384562216
there's no point in doing anything casually. casual sex is a sin
>>
>>384562216
Who says that if you play games competitively you can't have a life?
I finished my studies with good grades and got a fulfilling job where I am constantly learning new things and doing interesting stuff. All of that while playing games with a competitive approach and doing very well. In fact due to my studies at one point I had to leave my team before a big tournament started because studies were more important.

And yes I do feel skillful after destroying everyone in multiplayer games or playing vs other good players.
>>
>>384562216
some of the most challenging games are designed to be played in short bursts though (i.e. fighting games, arcade shooters, arena shooters, etc.). Casual games seem to be the shit that takes hours to progress or have timed events that encourage you to play as much as possible (MMORPGs, JRPGs, movie games, walking sims, gacha games, etc.)
>>
If you're doing something you're not enjoying, you should at least be getting something really valuable out of it. Otherwise you're a fucking idiot.

>why are you hitting your head with a hammer? it seems to be causing you great pain, and I can't see any benefit you get from it
>WHAT'S THE MATTER CAN'T HANDLE A FEW HITS WITH A HAMMER? FUCKING CASUAL
>>
>>384561176
Your mistake is assuming that challenge is not fun.
>>
>>384562216
Are you a caveman with such minimal mental capacity that he has to solely devote all his attention to one facet of life? You can do all those things while still getting good at video games. 2 hours every couple days is more than enough time to get better if you actually challenge yourself instead of sitting in your comfort zone.
>>
>>384562347
Yeah my bad should've stated singleplayer games only. I don't touch multiplayer but I guess with so much "espawrts" nowadays it's fine to play competitively.
>>
THE GAME
>>
>>384562006
did he become a girl? wtf
>>
>>384562502
Well personally I don't find singleplayer games to be particularly challenging, and most "hardcore" singleplayer games involve lots of grinding/hitting obtuse mechanic walls that don't really have much to do with your actual skill as a player, and also what >>384562438
said.

The game that I can think of that requires the longest "short" time investment per-match would be Dota 2, where games can go upwards of 1 hour.
I wouldn't consider something like CIV or Endless Space where games can go on for hours to be particularly hardcore, just time consuming.
>>
>>384562438
>>384562481
getting good at video games is not the same as getting good at a video game
>2 hours a day playing the same game for month(s)
or
>2 hours a day playing and experiencing different games
>>
>>384562657
Usually game skills are transferable. If you get good at aiming/moving in say Quake, it won't be hard to pick up any other arena shooter, and if you want to transitioning to arcade shooters also won't be particularly hard.
If you learn to play an RTS very well, the apm and tactical skills mostly transfer and you just have to learn the caveats of class/unit balance and the unique quirks to the game, which doesn't take long either.
So on and so forth. Most of the players that I know are very good at say Quake can easily pick up and dominate at most other shooters.
>>
But the challenges are fun. Some people are challenged by different things, and that's fine. But it's no fun when everything's too easy. It's like god moding everything, you have fun going on a power trip for a while but it never lasts very long and it's forgotten quickly.
>>
I used to think challenge in videogames mattered

Then I grew up, got a job and realised the only goals worth setting are those that have a tangible reward

Now I just play them to blow off steam, normal difficulty
>>
File: 1470132768957.jpg (75KB, 492x521px) Image search: [Google]
1470132768957.jpg
75KB, 492x521px
>>384561176
I just find the easiest modes to be boring really

After gaming for so long in general I think you start to develop a natural inclination for different types of games and when you play on easier modes it feels almost like auto-pilot and there is no joy to be had. I also don't care what mode anyone else plays on, just easy, I just look for entertainment when I play games and I don't find much on easier difficulties
>>
>>384562790
dont think I phrased my point correctly in previous posts,
>playing a game competitively (multiplayer or singleplayer hardest mode) requires you to spend more than average time to beat the game
>given a limited time for gaming, would you rather
>1) master one to a few games, or
>2) play on normal/non-competitively, beat the game for fun, and then move on to another game/your life.
Get good at one game, or get to experience different games?
>>
>>384563276
Get good at one game, it's why I have thousands of hours in a select few games and less than 20 on the rest of games I've played.

I am not really interested in trying out new things too much, I want to devote myself to a game and get really good at it.
>>
File: 1500532024470.jpg (236KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1500532024470.jpg
236KB, 1920x1080px
>>384562006
>BBCF and UNIST on the wall

Good shit
>>
File: 1479165796879.jpg (195KB, 500x484px) Image search: [Google]
1479165796879.jpg
195KB, 500x484px
>>384562892
there's still kids out there right now repeating this terrible cycle. "I must dump time and money into this shitty game to complete it, because it matters and I'll grow as a person if I complete it!", sorry kid, none of it matters
>>
>>384564002
nothing really matters. only benis in bagina
>>
File: 1500379315887.jpg (51KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1500379315887.jpg
51KB, 500x500px
>>384564002
>>
>>384562006
>Being that hooked on GBF
>>
For enjoyment? Yes.
Easy mode? Are you a preschooler?
>>
But complexity gives you more choices and lets you have more fun, how does clicking the same button give you more enjoyment than a mass scale rts battle?
>>
>>384562529
Considering the Blazblue poster and the number of trannys in the fgc, probably.
>>
>>384565848

it must be their first week of playing the game, no other possible explanation
>>
>>384562006
What's this from?

>>384569234
Man, my first couple of weeks of GBF were magical.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.