[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people call MMOs a dying genre when new MMOs are releasing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

Why do people call MMOs a dying genre when new MMOs are releasing all the time?

For something that's supposed to be niche, developers keep throwing a lot of money at it.
>>
Because literally all the good MMOs are either dead or have changed so much that they're not longer worth playing.
>>
Dying is in reference to the quality of mmos, not the quantity
>>
>>384544434
>"""MMO"""
>MM
>Massive multiplayer
>Dude is standing alone vs a mob in the gif
Asian mmos are complete garbage.
The only reason (mentally ill) people play them is the waifus
>>
File: your soul is mine.jpg (41KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
your soul is mine.jpg
41KB, 600x315px
>>384544434
>new mmo releases
>people play it for a few months
>mmo slowly dies as the playerbase gets bored of the grind and microtransactions
>new mmo releases

Gee, it's almost like putting organs in an elderly man. No matter how many new hearts he harvests he's going to die eventually.
>>
>>384545968
I know you have a hate boner for MMO's new target audience, but the gif shows a 3-man party and there is a "Pre-Alpha" message at the bottom of the image, so it obviously is some western kickstarter scam instead of a cheap chinese cashgrab.
>>
File: 1496855441383.png (719KB, 591x627px) Image search: [Google]
1496855441383.png
719KB, 591x627px
>>384545730
>>
>>384544434
I'm having fun with black desert, lvl26 and really have no idea what I'm doing.
>>
>>384544434
People mean MMORPGs, which actually ARE a dead genre
>>
File: 1264000030083.jpg (8KB, 182x195px) Image search: [Google]
1264000030083.jpg
8KB, 182x195px
>>384544434
>Why do people call MMOs a dying genre when new MMOs are releasing all the time?
>"""new"""
OP, serious response: unlike a lot of /v/ I'm actually a major fan of MMOs traditionally and I still believe the genre has a shitload of untapped potential that eventually some dev will target again. But the fact is that we're in a big long period of stagnation. Oldfags remember when new MMOs were coming that certainly had flaws, but each ones was AMBITIOUS, it wasn't just a me-too cash-in demanding huge audiences but felt like crazy devs really trying to create a virtual world who had no idea what the "limits" really were because it was all so new. Before WoW we had a lot of games that truly aimed at the "massive" part, like EVE (fucking 2003 and they dared to envision eliminating shards and shit).

But then WoW dominated commercially (even if others remained profitable) and rather then pushing the frontiers a lot of devs seemed to decide that MMOs were "solved" and the goldrush began to try to hit the megabucks through pure copying (nothing wrong with some copying and inspiration, but these made no significant forward progress at all either). Then came even more refined, cynically pure Skinner-box F2P/P2W grindan'. No more dreams, just coldly calculated money grabs. So many great MMOs like CoH got ruthlessly murdered. Innovation dried up.

That's why it's referred to as "dying". It's not, it's just stagnant, but stagnant sucks too.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.