[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you make a game that has diverse characters WITHOUT making

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 7

File: images.jpg (6KB, 271x186px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 271x186px
How do you make a game that has diverse characters WITHOUT making it appear forced, awkward, pandering or just plain cheap?
>>
File: PC exclusives.jpg (19KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
PC exclusives.jpg
19KB, 320x240px
>>384535064
You will never be able to please everyone at once so you might as well stop trying and do whatever you think is best.
>>
File: 1499200716155.jpg (17KB, 315x315px) Image search: [Google]
1499200716155.jpg
17KB, 315x315px
>>384535064
But why do you WANT to have diverse characters in the first place?
It should happen organically or not at all.
>>
Make a game that deals with a global crisis, or a community that ascends beyond the global borders as they're all working towards a common paradise.

Bioshock did this. There's people from different ethnicities and walks of life all over the place, and it's not shoehorned in at all.

Except black people. I don't remember a single black person from that game.
>>
File: 1493677623784.png (12KB, 299x289px) Image search: [Google]
1493677623784.png
12KB, 299x289px
>>384535064
Hire a writer that is not a "progressive guru" and actually a creative person.
Character types *seem* all white dudes or whatever because the STORIES they are trying to tell are just rehashes.
Create truly wild and original stories/worlds/premises and it won't matter, not even in this board, if the lead is a indian woman or a albino mexican.
>>
>>384535064
make it equivalent to population would be my guess
so if the game is in America, based on where it takes place, base the number of black, Hispanic, white, Asian, etc. characters on a real city in the same area
>>
Look at blade for an example;

Main character is black, one of the other side characters is black, and a couple other characters are black.

>Does the character have enough of a personality outside of being black?
Yes
>Would the character be more or less the same if he was asian or white?
Yes, outside of a few mannerism changes
>Did you take an existing concept and turn him black because its the more politically accepting thing to do?
Fuck no, Blade was well liked because he was a cool character and the audience saw him as being more than some cool black guy

OP, A well written character can be any race or sex. You just have to make a character that has personality outside of being "The diverse one".
>>
>>384535064
>Without making it appear forced, awkward, pandering or plan cheap
Ask Nintendo how they made Marina or the chick from ARMS or the Gerudo.
>>
>>384535064

By not making it.

That shit is dead on arrival
>>
Make it focused on a worldwide adventure.

Nobody bitched that Avdol was forced in JJBA, or that Sheva being black was forced.
>>
>>384535064
Make every character's appearance randomly generated so it's out of your hands.
That's what SMBC does, which is why there are so many gay couples.
But it probably wouldn't work in a game.
>>
File: 1457242408108.jpg (57KB, 548x546px) Image search: [Google]
1457242408108.jpg
57KB, 548x546px
Have a black character who is cool as hell, relatable, and is just overall fun to watch. I remember I used to fucking watch Static Shock all the goddamn time on Cartoon Network and not once it did ever cross my mind he was black. I was too busy thinking HOLY FUCKING SHIT LIGHTNING POWERS ARE SO FUCKING COOL, so when my friends and I all stuck to our "element of choice" in video games, I decided lightning was mine. As in, a friend of mine always wants to be the Ice Mage when you make your bros in video games. You do still make your video games be about you and your bros, right anon?

It was the same thing with Cyborg when I watched Teen Titans. I didn't go "oh, there's the token black guy" (because technically, isn't Beast Boy black too?), I went HOLY FUCKING SHIT HE'S GOT SWEET ROBOT POWERS AND A FUCKING MEGA MAN CANNON

Modern black characters are always some bullshit I AM TYRONICUSIQUA MOHAMMAD BROSUF MOHAMMAD I AM REFUGEE BUT EBUL DOLAN TRUMPF BOMBED MY FAMILY BECAUSE I AM SMRT AND WANT TO BE DOKTER* (*-also i am trans) and it's so fucking annoying and so obviously written by the guy in the suburbs who's only interaction with black people is sometimes he sees his black neighbor two houses down mowing.
>>
>>384540426
beastboy's not black but he did live in the Savannah with his mom.
>>
>>384535064
Make it set in modern day america. Diversity is there.
>>
>>384535064
good writers and worldbuilding storytelling
not
>DIVERSITY HIRE WRITER
>>
File: mk_ki_matchup_chief_nightwolf.jpg (107KB, 1200x550px) Image search: [Google]
mk_ki_matchup_chief_nightwolf.jpg
107KB, 1200x550px
>another diverse thread
>anons focus on black and ignore all other races
I guess diverse to many of you just means more black, since no one claims forced diversity when it's an asian, or latino being added.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.