[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What killed this genre? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DV 7Ah51784

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

What killed this genre?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DV7Ah51784
>>
Probably skating going out of style.
>>
who knows
>>
>>384505918
Basically this. And Tony Hawk and all the Jackass/Viva la Bam/CKY/etc guys started getting old. Stopped being a cool counterculture thing being pushed by edgy teenager shows on MTV so it lost its popularity.
>>
>>384505918
What this anon said, it was time.
Extreme sports went out of style, almost all of the games were solid with some minor drawbacks but they just fell off really quick.

Then attempts to revive the series by Robomodo were completely terrible and lacked any awareness of what made the series great. Which is why you don't hire the people who coast on gimmicks to make a game for a storied, loved series

Seriously, fuck Robomodo
>>
File: bigbrother.jpg (301KB, 607x758px) Image search: [Google]
bigbrother.jpg
301KB, 607x758px
>>384505918
>>384506338
>>384506571
wrong, skateboarding is still popular. what really went wrong was that activision forced neversoft to make a new tony hawk game every year. eventually your gonna run of ideas and was pretty clear they didnt know what the fuck to do with this series when around THPS4 came out. thank god for the skate games
>>
>>384506897
The annualization thing is absolutely true, yeah, but I wouldn't say that skateboarding is just as popular as it was in the 90s-00s. I think it still has its fans and die-hards, but I don't see it everywhere like I used to.

But yeah, skate was definitely what the skateboarding/extreme sports genre needed and they were all amazing games that effectively picked up where THPS started to fail
>>
>>384505658
>Playing THPS2 on the DC
Legit moments of joy, Sure they oversaturated it with too many of them at the time, but I'm sure a solid trick game not plagued with shit physics and loading times would sell good now.

>Best Skateboarding game
THPS2
>Best Snowboarding game
Amped2
>>
Realism
>>
>>384507265
>Best Skateboarding game
I feel like it's a dark horse but it has to be THUG for me. Combo run outs and other improvements made the game way more fun. Before that it was definitely THPS3 though
>Best snowboarding game
SSX3 hands-fucking-down. Tricky made the series stand out but 3 perfected it
>>
>>384506897
>skateboarding is still popular

Sorry, but no. It absolutely isn't.
>>
>>384505658

90s to early 2000s skating boom was gone. Activision milked it into oblivion, both caused the genre to become kill
>>
>>384507398
>>384507238
yeah its so irrelevant they didnt even add it to the olympics, oh wait.....
>>
>>384507485
The Skate series did pretty well though. It more likely due to the fact that the Tony Hawk games kinda lost the plot and didn't really innovate or change it's core gameplay much.
Although on that note, Skate refined itself and hit a good level of polish and ideas, then died off.
>>
EA killes THPS with Skate., then EA killed Skate. by being EA and Activision made sure THPS could never be revived be releasing really shitty cash grabs

It's a goddamn shame because extreme arcade sports was my favorite genre
>tfw no more tony hawk, skate, ssx, midnight club, nba street, mario strikers or wave race

what the fuck went wrong
>>
everyone is waiting for EA to get their heads out of their asses and greenlight Skate 4. people still crave extreme sports games, it's just publishers think there is no demand (even though every fucking comment on EA's instagram is "Skate 4"). it will take an extremely successful indie title (like Project Session if that ever comes out) to get the genre going again.
>>
File: 2k5.jpg (173KB, 800x1139px) Image search: [Google]
2k5.jpg
173KB, 800x1139px
>>384507964
realistic sim games sold more, way more. the NFL 2K games back when sega owned them are underrated as fuck tho. perfect blend of arcadey gameplay and realism
>>
>>384507631
I mean, sure, yes, it is at the olympics because it was just accepted last year. But I grew up in the mid 90's and 00's when it was fucking *huge.* Cheap skateboards littered toy aisles, I saw kids wearing Hawk skateboarding shirts everywhere, Rocket Power was on TV and had a guest cameo from the Hawk himself. Can you honest to god say that you see skateboarding in the same capacity that you did, say, ten to fifteen years ago? I'd honestly be very surprised
>>
>>384508489
yeah, i still see people skateboard all the time
>>
>>384508101

It's kinda niche, but you'd think THUG Pro would prove there's still demand for it.
>>
>>384508590
Suppose it's anecdotal then, because I definitely don't ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean I still really love skateboarding, I just didn't keep up with the scene after age 14, just kinda lost interest. That's probably why I personally don't
>>
BASS
>>
>>384508884
HOW LOW CAN YOU GO
>>
>>384508241
>Realist sim games sold way more
But i'm sure there was a market for arcadey sports games. Personally I havn't bought a madden game in my life, but I owned all 3 NFL Streets. Me and my friends would have NFL Street 2 tournaments, good times
>>
>>384508489
Because the Olympics are so cool.
>>
FAVORITE SOUNDTRACK
FAVORITE SONG

SOUNDTRACK: THPS3
SONG: Police Truck -- Dead Kennedys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PScmRiaZhwk
>>
>>384508489
It's still popular. Just because it's not mega huge rockstar popular like it used to be doesn't change that.
>>
>>384509489
Soundtack: THPS4
Song: Nas - The World is Yours (I know this was in THUG, 4 was better overall)
>>
File: My name is kickflip.jpg (70KB, 564x813px) Image search: [Google]
My name is kickflip.jpg
70KB, 564x813px
>>384507631
As someone who has been skating for the last 15 years, yeah it's fucking dead.
>>
>>384509887
>As someone who has been skating for the last 15 years
prove it.
>>
>>384505658
ALL THE SMALL THINGS
>>
>>384509934
How do I do such a thing?
>>
>>384510029
idk post a pic of your board
>>
>>384505658
The early 2000s ended. Very few actual subcultures still exist today, most are tied into some stupid Internet movement now.
>>
>>384510068
Here's a video we shot with the idea of using people the whole video. Keep in mind the videos are old and shitty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FO_UneOtds
>>
>>384510252
...why did you just post a video of me?
>>
>>384510378
Fuck off Sam
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.