[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Well, I'm 15 years late but I finally beat Silent Hill

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 27

File: SHill2_conceptart_IdjWU.jpg (95KB, 800x485px) Image search: [Google]
SHill2_conceptart_IdjWU.jpg
95KB, 800x485px
Well, I'm 15 years late but I finally beat Silent Hill 2 last night.

It was absolutely fantastic. That is the grimiest, dirtiest, experience I've had in years.

So, Silent Hill thread.

Should I jump back to 1 and then onto 3? What next guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM0MpRxp1jI

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this."
>>
>>384500341
>he played SH2 first
I'm not even mad. More like very disappointed.
Anyway, play SH1 ASAP. It's still IMO the best game in series, and definitely better introduction to the saga and lore. Definitely a total MUST if you ever plan to play SH3.

Anyway, what'd ya think of 2? What ending did you get, etc?
>>
File: SH PC Guide 3-2017 update.png (2MB, 1300x4835px) Image search: [Google]
SH PC Guide 3-2017 update.png
2MB, 1300x4835px
>SH Thread
great! Time to re-repost the SH PC Guide + the DL links:

SH1 NTSC DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH3 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" fix works as a no-cd crack as well, and is included in the pack.
If you use the NEW widescreen fixes mentioned in guide, the sh2proxy's EXE works as no-cd crack too.

In case you experience issues saving the game / not being able to edit the disp.ini, make sure the files aren't set to "Read Only", and run the game as Administrator.
If SH2 gets stuck in a black screen upon launch, close it and re-start it again.
You can now see fine emulator settings for SH1 in the guide. You may also try the newer PGXP emulator for wobble-free PS1 graphics.

>Protips
Play in release order.
Replay them all!
Never play below Normal modes.
Adjust down Brightness.
Crank up volume.
Don't try to kill everything; turn off the light and run / sneak!
>>
Better late than never. I know there'll be a wave of younger people "finding out" about old classics like this for the first time in following years, no matter how revolutionary and well known they might now be.

Yeah, you should play Silent Hill 1 as soon as possible. Prepare for much more unforgiving and oppressive experience though, as SH2 is widely considered to be the easiest and horror-wise mildest game in the original quadrilogy.
>>
>>384501428

I started with 1 years ago as a teenager, I just scared the shit out of myself and stopped in the school. I plan on going to it next.

2 was incredible, and immediately shot to the top of my favorite games list. I didn't find it particularly scary, but it was certainly horrifying. It still looks fantastic today, and as a sum of its parts it's one of the best psychological experiences I've ever experienced.

In my mind it's undeniably a masterpiece. I initially came back to it because it's both a standalone story and the high accolades it's garnered for years.

I got the leave ending. I'll probably go through it again soon get the others, although I watched them on youtube after. I think how different all endings are and how they all fit is a testament to how well thought out the story and the game is. All unique, all worthwhile, and all interestingly determined by your play style.

Also that OST is a fucking goddamn wonder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8A22ulogJs
>>
>>384501428
I have to disagree, 2 is the best one IMO.
Although all of the first three are some of the best horror games ever made.
4 was pretty weak, puzzles too easy and just not very scary. Haven't played the western ones.
>>
>>384500341
Whatever you do finish 1 before playing 3.
>>
>>384501814

Interestingly I'm almost 30. The themes of the game definitely hit a lot harder because of my ability to relate to the characters.

It's a game that got "worse" the more I got to know and relate to the various characters.
>>
konami pls
>>
>>384502015

That said Eddie was just a psychopath

The foreshadowing in the game is probably of my favorite parts.

>>384502203

Nah, it's dead. Let it rest.
>>
File: image.jpg (20KB, 218x313px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20KB, 218x313px
>>384500341
Can we talk about Heather yet? Is it too soon?
>>
>>384501843
It's a shame that people are nowadays just Youtubing the endings like that. Acquiring them all + the unlockables related to them & continuous replays in general have always been one minor yet present appeal point of these games. There ain't too many other games I'd replayed literally 40+ times throughout the years.

Yeah, Akira Yamaoka was and still is a pure audio-genius. He did all the soundtracks AND audio effects of the original games by himself, and his work can be said to easily make at least half of the games' atmosphere.

>>384501875
Don't worry, I totally understand why people would worship SH2. I was like that myself, but after replaying SH1 (and the sequels) again and again, doing bit more research and just thinking about things, I've come to realize how damn amazing SH1 truly is. Yes, even better than 2 in many ways. The original definitely is scarier, more challenging on all difficulty settings, and I think it has way better pacing + overall town design.

>>384502015
Same here, though I was like 11 when SH1 came out, and that's when I got into the series as well. You can imagine how creepy and disturbing places like the School were for a literal child at the time.

SH2 was quite life-changing experience tho'. Got me into psychology, symbolism and shit. Practically taught me that such things exist, and how they can affect people.

>>384502302
2soon, mate
>>
>>384502302

Do whatever. I've been spoiled for long enough that I know the basic plot outlines anyways.
>>
File: image.jpg (86KB, 605x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86KB, 605x720px
>>384502001
This.
>>
SH1 is just so hard to get into if it's your first game
>>
>>384502504
Why's that?
It plays exactly like its later sequels, it's beginning is still one of the spookiest setpieces in gaming history, and while it's notably more "open" than later games, it does offer plenty of easy to read hints - almost total commands on where to go next.
>>
File: image.jpg (319KB, 850x1133px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
319KB, 850x1133px
>>384502414
Harry Mason
>survived Silent Hill
>lives alone in a small flat with a beautiful 17 year old girl with freckled bare skin who HE ISN'T EVEN RELATED TO
>he never remarried
>he never met another woman
>he just lays awake at night
>staring at his ceiling
>listining through the thin walls to the beautiful girl in the next room panting and grunting as she masturbates
>this is everynight for the last few years
>she suddenly, quite audibly, finishes.
>silence now
>he continues to stare at the ceiling

A BETTER MAN THAN US HARRY. F.
>>
>>384502689
Not the guy you're responding to, but I imagine for a lot of the younger folks and/or people new to survival horror are immediately turned off by the "tank" controls, which can be turned off in 2 and 3.
>>
>>384502363

I plan on going through the game again extremely soon. I should have gone through for the various endings, but honestly the entire experience was worth it anyways.

I've known about the big reveal for years now, and while I would have liked to have gone in fresh, it didn't sully my experience. The journey was still far worth it, and discovering the subtly of the story was just as amazing.

I shed a few tears in the final hallway before the final boss. It all just culminates so well. Part of what makes the game so impressive how well the game ebbs and flows.

Combat wasn't intrusive or annoying. It's a well designed integral part of progression.
>>
I totally dare to claim that Silent Hill 2 is one of the most shining gaming examples of things deserving to be called "art". It's an experience of its own, no matter that you can easily summarize and thus trivialize it all into something very generic and boring sounding if you want.

That being said, I find it a tad weird how SH2 gets so much praise, when it's merely repeating the formula of SH1 in many ways, merely adding its own flavor on top of it all, together with then-nextgen visuals of course. I always found SH2 to feel more like an "expansion pack" to SH1 than a full-blown separated title. Playing SH1 first gives 2 a lot more context and things to look forward to - something that has been known to help many people get past the relatively boring and slow start (the entire apartments, that is).
>>
How Kino is this game?
>>
File: IkqgtAA.jpg (21KB, 397x231px) Image search: [Google]
IkqgtAA.jpg
21KB, 397x231px
>>384502764
>>
>>384502859
Oh, that.
I always forget that SH2 and up even have such setting, as I find the whole alternative control scheme repulsive as fuck. Not to mention just checking the Options menu seems to be becoming such a foreign idea to youngsters nowadays, that many prolly won't even realize to switch the controls.

That beings said, I have just fairly recently (during this 2010s) gotten numerous total horror-newbies into SH and RE series via SH1, successfully spooking and intriguing them with the first few minutes of the original game. Sure, there's been a handful of "pfft, what are those blocky graphics?" and "wow, these controls are...odd" -comments, but ultimately they all have mastered the control style AND gotten heavily immersed into (and thus spooked hard) by these games.

I was mindblown to see this 25-29yo chick with no prior experience with survival horror totally get addicted to REmake (HD) after playing it for the first time couple years back. Yeah, she started with the new control scheme, but after struggling with them in few nasty scenes, she switched to good ol' 3D controls. The rest is history, and she's beaten the game 4 times now.

>>384503408
After 10 years of lurking, I still don't quite get this meme term.

Anyway, SH1-4 are "cinematic", but in the oldschool, PS1-2 era way. As in, they're story and character-driven, but most of the story stuff is handled in completely separated cutscenes (and some notes & other hints). Otherwise, they're pure, old-style survival horror games.
>>
>>384503142

Take my opinion with a grain of salt as I haven't finished the entire series, but I think the standalone story of SH2 is what makes it so endearing.

It's a deeply human story about fucked up individuals finding their way in life. It's a story of love and sex and death. As the creators talk about in the making of documentary, sex and death are the central themes of the game, and they are possible some of the most standard and common thoughts of being human.

It's not a story about a cult. It's a story about a relationship failing, about hatred and death. It touches on anxiety and suffering. On judgement and self worth.

As a game it's 16 years old and completely average. As an experience it's unshakable. It should hit most any grown adult at their core. It deals with the very aspects that we fight for most and also most against in life.
>>
I had a friend who tried this game. I begged her to play it, because she loves Dead Space and Resident Evil 4.

She hated it. She was immediately turned off by the fixed camera, and was constantly struggling to turn the camera forward. "I just can't stand not being able to see what's in front of me!"

She hated every boss fight. The game was too easy. She didn't find it particularly scary. She hated all of the walking. She didn't care for the characters at all and wouldn't stop making fun of the voice acting. She dreaded playing it.

Eventually she quit at the rowboat section, and just said "I can't take it anymore. I'm sorry."

What was her problem?
>>
>>384503750

Is "Born from a Wish" worth playing?

I found the Mary/Maria dynamic to be pretty awesome through the entire game, but I've heard the scenario can diminish the characters.
>>
>>384503749
"Kino" is a German word meaning "film." It was picked up as a /tv/ meme a few years ago and is meant to be """funny""" and """ironic""" when used. You can post a shit-tier show or movie and then spam "IS IT KINO? in all threads and get many (You)s. Of course, some use the term "unironically" (another word I can't fucking stand that has just popped up within these last few years and been abused like crazy, like "literally").
>>
File: image.jpg (87KB, 850x478px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87KB, 850x478px
>>384503626
I uh... Don't get it anon.
>>
>>384503974

Shrug,

not her thing I guess. Personally I'd be a bit peeved at that response but what can you do.

Sounds like she went into it expecting to hate it and then ended up hating it.

That she hated the walking says a lot. It's part of the isolation and experience. The game wouldn't be the same without the sense of size the game conveys, and it does that by having you run a lot.

The path into town at the beginning is the best example. Gotta be the type of person to sit down and soak it in.

Maybe she's just got bad taste anon
>>
File: heather.png (38KB, 3781x202px) Image search: [Google]
heather.png
38KB, 3781x202px
>>384504350

it's ok
>>
>>384503974
If this isn't bait, then it's because SH2 is a pretty crap game just gameplay-wise. Controls are absolutely clunky, some enemies are near-unavoidable, and attacking is non-intuitive. Compared to action-fests like RE4 and Dead Space, it's a very different experience. SH2 needs to be played in a dark room with nothing to eat or drink, headphones on, alone in the entire house.
>>
File: image.jpg (237KB, 850x478px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
237KB, 850x478px
>>384504586
w-wait! t-thats described colour palette?!

but Harry and Heather didn't own a dog right? In any case thats not one of mine.
>>
File: sh1 cover.png (233KB, 381x377px) Image search: [Google]
sh1 cover.png
233KB, 381x377px
>>384503750
>I think the standalone story of SH2 is what makes it so endearing.
As an oldschool SH-fanboi, I find this (relatively new) ideology quite weird. Yeah, the cast and even location in the town are all new, and it's a new era timeline-wise, but it's very hard to truly call SH2 "standalone". It's quite a bit like you CAN consider MGS3 a "fine starting point" and "standalone game", if you want, but playing the previous games first obviously add a lot to the overall experience.

Same thing about the increasing focus on the "cult" in these discussions. I find that people give it way too much focus, and wrongfully make SH1&3 to be "about" it. If anything, I'd say the existence of said cult in whole is just one tiny cog in a much bigger picture; in a story that is surprisingly personal, psychological, to the point of being quite literally about "inner demons" of a single person's psyche.

The difference between 1 and 2, in my books, is just the perspective and flavor of the events and story. Maybe I should be thankful that I did play the original when I was still "way too young" to play these games, as especially with some hindsight, it made SH1 feel even more relateable, easier to understand, and thus more creepy as a whole. Then I got SH2 during teenage years, and it was all fascinating and disturbing in all new levels.

Anyway, even after all that wall of text, if I had to nominate a game to either get total chickens into horror genre, or to demonstrate vidya's capabilities as an artform, SH2 would be the title I'd mention right off the bat. It's not only an "experience", but also a real "game" under its skin as well. A beautiful story, with a beautiful outter shell, with many ways to experience and re-experience the game - almost like a truly great book in a way.
>>
>>384504039
Yes.
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 388x291px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 388x291px
>>384500341
>Harry sometimes thought about murdering baby Heather, just to be sure

Bastard.
>>
>>384504969
You're a good person.
>>
File: image.jpg (72KB, 657x670px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72KB, 657x670px
>>384500341
RIDDLE ME THIS ANONS:

If Heather is 17 years old, then SH3 is set 17 years AFTER SH1 (duh) SO. What year is SH1 set??
>>
Just bought the HD collection for PS3. What am In for? Any tips?
>>
File: image.jpg (168KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
168KB, 1280x1024px
>>384505996
>HD on PS3
>>
File: image.png (2MB, 900x1400px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2MB, 900x1400px
>>384500341
Tell me, how did Heather go from this:
>>
>>384505992
>If Heather is 17 years old
She's actually magic-years old.
>>
File: sh2_ost_jp_01_front.jpg (101KB, 812x800px) Image search: [Google]
sh2_ost_jp_01_front.jpg
101KB, 812x800px
>>384506239
>dat frown

Takayoshi Sato was a genius, its sad that he now works on fucking mario games
>>
File: image.gif (3MB, 410x231px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
3MB, 410x231px
>>384507080
to THIS:

How did Harry raise her wrong?
>>
File: image.jpg (224KB, 530x663px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
224KB, 530x663px
>>384507112
Well biologically she is a perky 17 year old with perfect taught skin and a muscled ass, so what a cop-out answer.
>>
>>384507368
>>
>>384507338
Better question is is dat what Heather is gonna end up looking like? Her biological mother? Is that the future we get??
>>
>>384504039
definitely, born from a wish is kino
>>
File: image.jpg (128KB, 449x531px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
128KB, 449x531px
>>384507651
I hear the guy who ripped her model for SFM stuff discovered her nude mesh was there waiting for him. I hope thats true because is so Heather has fantastic canon abs.
>>
>>384500341
>Should I jump back to 1 and then onto 3? What next guys.

SH2 story was unrelated to rest of the series, but SH3 is a sequel to SH1 and if you want to understand what is going on you should play SH1 first.
>>
>>384500341
>Should I jump back to 1 and then onto 3? What next guys.
Yes. Honestly all of them are good even the new ones, but don't expect anything past the Team Silent ones to have the same impact as the original 4. If you played the original PS2 release of 2 then download the PC version or play the xbox/ps2 greatest hits version, there is a short bonus campaign.
>>
Make sure to be prepared for 4. It's different.

Dont forget Shattered Memories.
>>
File: Characteres.jpg (291KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
Characteres.jpg
291KB, 1024x576px
sh/sh3/shsm is a perfect trilogy
>>
File: image.png (379KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
379KB, 480x640px
>>384508941
>>384508805

Question lads, say i am looking to buy the PS2 version of Shattered memories for... Ultirior motives such as getting the Heather Mason fix that finishing SH3 left a massive void in my heart.... Will SM cater to me? I have been told that Cheryl "Heather" Mason is basically an alt universe S3 Heather. Is this at least a little acurate? She does look like Heather. Without massive spoilers, yes or no?
>>
>>384509528
Alt universe. Still cute. Changes appearance based on your decisions.
>>
File: image.jpg (157KB, 1200x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
157KB, 1200x750px
>>384510027
Damn. Im doing that shit. I hear thr devs went with my head canon that A few years before SH3 age, Heather was a bit of a fucking wild hoe.
>>
>>384507368
blue board my dude ease up on the r34 or at least crop it.
>>
>>384500341
that prison sequence still gives me chills.
>>
Good on you OP, I was also very late to the party but SH1 and 2 are among my favorite games ever. So definitely play 1, it's fantastic.

Expect to be disappointed by 3 after those two masterpieces if you have any semblance of taste though.
>>
File: image.jpg (91KB, 850x478px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91KB, 850x478px
>>384510808
Isn't there a bit of an irony to "a blue" board not allowing any visable fluff? "Blue balls" more like
>>
>>384511030

3 looks great though
>>
>>384510527
Yup. A complete wild one. If you make the right choices. Stealing, stabbing a security guard, underage sex, drugs.

It all plays on how concerned and good a Father you try to be, If you call HOT SLUT numbers on bathroom walls and stare at porn, or flirt with Cybil etc.
>>
File: image.jpg (13KB, 450x157px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13KB, 450x157px
>>384512008
>Yup. A complete wild one. If you make the right choices. Stealing, stabbing a security guard, underage sex, drugs.

Oh fucc yess, i knew it! I knew i was right about her.

Heather is a good and smart person, but also was a bit of a bitch hopefully. She has all the genetics for a nice body, decent ass and breasts and despite the freckle skin, her facial symetry makes her a fucking worldie. She is a beautiful girl. But miserable and a bit weird. So no doubt she was bullied for it all her life.

I like to think the school chads and such bully the fuck out of her for being an emo shit, but they are secretly all DESPERATE to fuck her, no protection. Then one night one of those Jock Chads who bullies her, meets up with her in secret, cheating on his stacey cheerleader gf, and she fucking rides that cock like sea busicuit and makes him fall in love as his spent dick goes all soft against her. Then she just packs her shit up and leaves, his hot wet load still up her as she storms off home, and she never speaks to him ever again and acts like a cold bitch to him forever. Those crazy bitches are best
>>
>>384512371
God Ragedweapon was a master at his craft, The Yahoo groups where he posted his stuff are long gone.
>>
>>384511943
It has worse level design, utterly shit pacing and the first third of the game doesn't even take place in Silent Hill.

It has some of the best individual sections of the entire series, I'll give it that.
>>
>>384511943
>>384512628
It also spawned faggots like >>384512371
>>
File: image.jpg (85KB, 850x478px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85KB, 850x478px
>>384512731
mad af.
>>
>>384512532

He just posted some fallout stuff like 4 days ago. on there
>>
>>384500341
SH1 is the spookiest.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.