[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people act like Backwards compatibility should be standard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: 1487889441876.jpg (49KB, 374x358px) Image search: [Google]
1487889441876.jpg
49KB, 374x358px
Why do people act like Backwards compatibility should be standard for consoles?

>PS2
>Wii
>Wii U
>Xbox One X

These are the only backwards compatible consoles.
The N64 didn't play SNES games, the Gamecube didn't play N64 games, the Switch doesn't play Wii U games, 360 and Xbone are only backwards compatible with select titles.
Why act like it's such a big deal? Do you throw out your consoles when a new one comes out?
>>
>>384385739
The Ps3, gameboy advanced, DS, and those gameboy players kinda count. I don't really mind not having backward compatibility but pushing for more features on a console is nice.
>>
First PS3 models played PS2 natively. I still have one.
>>
>>384385739
You're missing a couple

>PS3
>Sega Genesis
>Atari 5200
>GBA
>DS
>>
>>384386498
It often needlessly drives up the cost of the console. The PS3 was so expensive at release because it was Blu ray AND they basically had to build a PS2 into it.
>>
>>384385739
What about the xbox 360 and PS3? or the GBA, DS and 3DS? Those are all backwards compatible too. I don't think it's necessary, but it's a really nice feature to have. Sometimes it's just not possible tho, so people who complain it's not there often times are just complaining for no reason.
>>
>>384385739
Gamecube was backward compatible with GB, GBA and GBC games, faggot

PS3 was also backward compatible with PS1+PS2 games, faggot

SNES was backward compatible with GB games, faggot

DS was backward compatible with GBA games

3DS was backward compatible with DS games

so shut the fuck you, you know nothing at all.
Silly millennial.
>>
>>384387310
I wasn't counting handhelds and only early model PS3s have BC, also why are you counting the game boy player?
>>
>>384386621
no, you stupid faggot

It was so fucking expensive because of shitty + useless blu-ray AND shitty and useless cel processors.

PS2 hardware was extremely cheap in comparison. They could have dropped the useless and slow blu-ray, which would have not only improved the console itself, but also made it so that they wouldn't have sold it for $300 loss.
>>
>>384385739
Cuts down on a mess of wires around my TV.
>>
>>384387392
because that's backward compatibility too, you silly faggot.

But that was good Nintendo. Nowaways it's Jew Nintendo.

You know, they could have made a USB disc drive + full backward compatibility available. I wouldn't care in case it was an optional purchase. But companies nowadays are jew-ing around and fucking customers over.

Also see Sony telling you to re-buy even emulated games, that you already bought on PS3.
>>
>>384385739
Because I don't have a lot of space but still like playing older games, so letting me play those games on newer hardware gives me incentive to actually buy them.
As it is, I have no interest in a PS4 because I have games I'm actually playing on PS3.
>>
>>384387774
How you planning on playing Wii U games on Switch when the latter only has one screen?
>>
>>384387392
oh btw. faggot
>herp derp didn't count PS3 because Sony went full Jew, to literally force people to buy PS3 games instead of playing PS2 games on it

yeah, but you did count the Wii. Which also dropped backward compatibility at some point.
>>
>>384386603
>Sega Genesis
Wait, what? You mean I could have kept playing Galaxy Force?
>>
>>384387971
All Wii's have BC through hacking though
>>
>>384387937
How do you play DS games on one screen of the Wii U, when DS had 2 screens?

Oh wait, you actually can.

btw. I would have designed a proper console and not this shitty crap called Switch, which is basically a retarded, outdated and overpriced Nvidia tablet with thousand design issues.

Iwata is rolling in his grave.
>>
>>384387971
>the Wii. Which also dropped backward compatibility at some point.
False. The Wii Mini is the only model not to support backwards compatibility, which was released practically after the Wii's lifespan. This is different than the PS3 and you're a retard if you think otherwise.
>>
>>384387971
>herp derp
The most reddit post of the day award.
>>
>>384388154
>How do you play DS games on one screen of the Wii U, when DS had 2 screens?
The DS screens were so small you can fit both on one screen. That's not really true for Wii U games
>>
File: nomad.jpg (12KB, 217x232px) Image search: [Google]
nomad.jpg
12KB, 217x232px
>>384388007

Power Base Converter.

By the same logic, the Nomad was also backwards compatible.
>>
>>384388119
>All Wii's have BC
yeah sure, tell me how you connect gamecube controllers and memory cards to non-BC Wiis, moron.

>butbutbut
you do know that the Sony PS2 emulator can be used on all PS3s and it's possible to inject other PS2 games?

Same deal. But I don't count methods only niggers use. Otherwise you would have to also count homebrew nigger emulators and then you are looking even more retarded than you already do.
>>
>>384388196
>>Wii dropped BC
>False. Wii dropped BC.

Ooookay, retard.
I guess you didn't take your pills today.
>>
>>384385739
>consumers want a consumer-friendly product
PAINT ME SURPRISED ANON
>>
>>384388250
>truth is now called reddit
yeah, faggot. It surely is.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/tretton_cutting_ps2_bc_won_t_cut_ps3_cost/1/

you are simply an uninformed fool.
>>
>>384388547
>gets BTFO
>argues semantics

The Wii never dropped BC. Wii Mini (a separate model) did. ALL PS3 units dropped BC after the first batch. fuck off, you asshurt retard.
>>
>>384388276
your argument was:
1 screen vs 2 screens.
Thus I called you out with DS emulation on the Wii U using only 1 screen.

Anyway, as I already said - I would have simply designed the Switch completely different and wouldn't have simply bought a retarded Nvidia tablet instead. But it's Jew Nintendo, so it's not surprising.

You know, I'm pretty sure Iwata's plan was:
Make a portable with Wii U tech, so that you can use it as portable but also on the big screen and it would stream to the big screen.

That WOULD have been Classic Nintendo.
Full BC would have been possible.
3DS could have been kicked out too.
And I would have expected 3DS + Wii + Wii U + Gamecube backward compatibility. The latter via optional standalone disc drive, which would connect to the dock.

But instead we got a crappy Nvidia tablet, with not even 3DS backward compatibility. (Nintendo's first time they aren't backward compatible at all) and can now re-buy Wii U games in worse versions all over again.

Brilliant.
>>
>>384388686
>consumers want a consumer-friendly product
yes, consumers.
But nowadays there aren't consumers anymore, but retarded millennials.

And thus a piece of shit "console" like the PS4 can sell a lot. Another piece of shit "console" like the Switch - "portable" having 2.5 hours of battery life - can sell.

Yeah, I guess consumer-friendly is nowadays:
>mandatory full game installations
>tons of patches to fix buggy shit that you pay full price for
>ages long load times
>horrible software quality, tons of crashing, even worse than previous HD-gen
>no backward compatibility at all
>have to even rebuy digital games, even emulated ones
>no web browser
>gotta pay to be allowed to play online

yeah, that's what I always wanted after throwing out PC gaming and getting consoles some ages ago. All the shit of PCs and none of the positives.
>>
>>384389036
>Wii Mini (a separate model) did
A separate model of PS3s also dropped backward compatibility, monkey brain.

Even what you are saying is incorrect. All Wii's built after around november 2011 are not backward compatible anymore. It's not just the Wii Minis. The Wii Minis simply lost even more like WLAN support.

This here:
https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Wii-Console-Black-Sports-Resort/dp/B009M72E5Q
is NOT backward compatible, but strangely doesn't look like a Wii Mini, doesn't it.

>ALL PS3 units dropped BC after the first batch.
BS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_models

CECHExx had backward compatibility too, nigger. 3rd model released in US in August 2007.
and that's even just a bonus, because you want to really tell me that the "first batch" lasted a fucking year?
>>
>>384389331
>Portable PowerPC CPU
Good luck. Even Apple struggled with this so hard they switched to x86.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.