[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the point of the charge attacks? The charge time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 8

What's the point of the charge attacks? The charge time is far too long for them to be practical as most enemies attack quite fast, and don't get me started on the bosses. I like the game and all, but it seems to me that some design choices were woefully implemented.
>>
>>384383002
Get all 3 and then go talk to Sly.
>>
>>384383002
I could've beat the arena without them, not as easy at least.
You charge your shit, you line up to a flying enemy and dash slash it probably killing it in that hit making flying enemies in the arena not that annoying.
>>
>>384383002
Some of the platforming is dodgy as well. It doesn't feel tight even when playing on a controller. Fungal wastes is annoying as fuck when trying to down slash the bouncy mushrooms and the game reads the input as s normal slash.
Very good exploration though, and I never feel lost even without a map.
>>
yes i didnt like the charge attacks, they're not a mechanic i like in most games

they're meant to be charged while you can't get any hits in, for example while avoiding boss attack or waiting for monster to spawn

i prefer normal attacks, long slash + faster attacks is great, no trouble at all beating trial of fools or the radiance
>>
>>384383002
I disliked them at first, but I started to enjoy them after I got the charm. Figuring out the best moments to use the spin attack is super fun.
>>
Hourly hollow shill.
>>
>>384383002
I used the charged attack constantly during the Trial of Fools. It's dangerous to get close to enemies, so you charge from safety and then swoop in an kill them in one hit.
>>
Are the Mantis Lords the casual filter, or is there another boss you think better suits that title?
That boss fight was crazy, I loved it.
>>
>>384385603
Watcher knight for me
>>
>>384383002
Use them with Nail Master charm, then they're very much usable and even essential for the arena.

>>384385603
Out of the non-optional bosses, probably Watcher Knights, as you have to fight several of them, usually two at once ala Four Kings.

If we include optional bosses, Failed Champion and Radiance tie for the top spot, with Crystal Bug mk2 just behind. Reason? All of these bosses hit you for two health with any of their attacks.
>>
>>384385603
Mantis Lord is casual filter. Last boss and the dream rematch versions of bosses are harder.
>>
>>384386510
The thing about Mantis Lords is that you never really have to fight them, and Quirrel even tells you to come back later, so it's not casual filter in the purest sense, because that implies a challenge that the player MUST surmount in order to be able to progress in the game.
>>
>>384385603
Honestly Crystal Guardian MK I, even though he's optional
>>
>>384383002
Used to one shot enemies that constantly spit shit at you, mostly fliers.
Very useful in the Colloseum
>>
HORNET

A

S H I T
>>
Extra damage between the times you are dodging or whatever, plus a bit of range potentially to attack enemies over the course of platforming.

Nailmaster's Glory as a charm makes them much more viable once you've learned them all.
>>
>>384385603
Lost Kin, Failed Champion, Crystal Guardian rematch, and Radiance got pretty tough for me. I think I spent like four or five hours on Lost Kin fuck that boss especially.
>>
>>384388172
Lost Kin is pretty facetankable. You just equip fragile strength and quick slash with stalwart, go ham every time you're forced to take a hit/
>>
toughest three for me:

1. radiance
2. failed champion
3. crystal v2

two damage is my downfall. lost kin I did first try with spore shroom and defenders crest.

early game its either mantis lords or soul master that are the "filters"
>>
>Hear about Radiance and how it is the hardest shit ever.
>First try "ye this is pretty hard"
>Third try "Huh, lets try Abyss Shriek on him"
Down in four tries. Final build was Quickslash, Shape, Soulcatcher and Quickfocus. Maybe Grubsong or Steady Body, I can't remember.
>>
File: 1450825791246.jpg (15KB, 424x357px) Image search: [Google]
1450825791246.jpg
15KB, 424x357px
>tfw trial of fools
>>
>>384383002
>What's the point of the charge attacks?
Trial of fools
>>
>>384389563
yeah, pretty much hardest point of the game.
1- Trial of Fools
2- Lost Kin
3- Failed Champion.
>>
>>384383080
They're still shit, but now you have to waste a charm slot to make them slightly less shit. Using the Quick Slash charm and just walloping enemies is better 9/10 times.
>>
>>384386479
A final boss can't be a casual filter.
>>
>>384389859
>Lost Kin

But you can go tank build and kill it without any troubles.

1 - Trial of Fools
2 - Soul master and soul sanctum in general because of the early game hell
3 - Radiance
>>
>>384390237
Hold up, yeah, you are right, I struggled a lot at first with Kin, but eventually its super cheeseable with Defender's Crest, Quickslash and Stalwart Shell.
>>
File: nigga please.png (365KB, 753x475px) Image search: [Google]
nigga please.png
365KB, 753x475px
>mfw beat Radiance on second try and Trial of Fools on first try (although I did look up a video of what it is like beforehand)

Failed Champion, Soul Master and first encounter with Hornet took me several tries though
Hidden Dreams when, are the new bosses or a release date confirmed yet
>>
>>384389859
Don't know why people had so much trouble with Lost Kin. Its HP is pitiful and it doesn't have 2 damage like Failed Champion.

Failed Champion > Lost Kin >>> Soul Tyrant in terms of difficulty
>>
>>384383002
Dash Slash and Great Slash oneshot Soul Twisters, Primal Aspids and Armoured Squits. And you can charge it up between waves. That's enough of a reason.
>>
>>384383002
I just got the dream nail, how far am I in the game so far?
>>
>>384392542
Hard to say. You can put off the Dream Nail for a long-ass time if you delay going to Deepnest.

I'm going to guess that you've got the Mantis Claw and dropped into Deepnest from Fungal Wastes, got the Tram Pass and went to Resting Grounds from there. If so you're probably like a third of the way there, a bit less if you want true ending.
>>
>>384392841
yeh I found it kind of late, got the mantis claw, the downward strike thing and the crystal ability that lets you fly across the map in a straight line before I found it.
>>
>>384393273
You're a bit further then. Dream Nail doesn't exactly open up a lot of new areas, but at least now you know what to do before you can fight the final boss.
>>
File: 1472826982628.jpg (146KB, 537x452px) Image search: [Google]
1472826982628.jpg
146KB, 537x452px
>died at the same time I killed Crystal Guardian 2
>all that geo despawned
>>
>>384389956
Whatever you say, Anon. 1 slot for the ability to do shittons of damage quickly is hard to pass up.
>>
>>384394873
Geo is basically worthless once you find the guy who buys all those junk items you've been saving, so don't feel too bad.
>>
The charge attack has a good arc that makes it quite useful.
>>
>>384395021
If he's fighting Crystal Guardian 2 it's extremely unlikely he hasn't met that guy yet.
>>
>>384391329
Hornet 1 is pretty bad.
Then again, this is the kind of game where the most dangerous move is made by the enemy causally walking/jumping neutrally.
>>
I only had trouble with Radiance,Final Hornet and Soul Master
The dream versions are just more of the same but I got stuck at Soul Master forever
>>
What's the point of making these threads when you know that that /jp/ shitposter is gonna ruin it?
>>
>>384395174
True, but knowing that there's an event to trivialize Geo acquisition in this game massively lowers the worry about earning and saving it.
>>
>>384395198
This was the only thing that damaged me when I had to fight The Hollow Knight like 10 times trying to get Radiance. All of his moves are super easy to predict, but sometimes he just jumps when you're above him and there's nothing you can do about it except not be above him.
>>
>>384383002
Charge is there for times where swift attacks won't work. Bosses it doesn't work well on, though there are certain instances where you might use it. It's mainly used against the big guys in Deepnest. Don't even have to wait for them to open up, just hit them with it and the hit box lasts so long they will take damage anyway. Speeds them up a lot.
>>
>>384395409
I just damage raced Hollow Knight since he stops for a lot of time and you get healed in dreamland
>>
>>384395198
Hornet 1 was hard for me because you have basically no powerups that early. Then you get the dash from beating her which would have been helpful 10 fucking seconds ago.
>>
>>384383348
Something I realized with the platforming is that you get launched downward when landing on a corner.

It's not a problem usually but there are time where you have to walljump over small gaps over spikes/acid and it really fuck you over.
>>
File: 1396083449580.png (151KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
1396083449580.png
151KB, 700x500px
>>384395687
>you get healed in dreamland
Are you serious? I know you keep your Soul, so I assumed you kept your health as well. Man, I could've played way more aggressively, Hollow Knight is easy to damage race.
>>
>>384395409
You could have slotted in Mark of Pride or used Great Slash instead.

>>384395687
You can't damage race him unless you either got Upgraded Spells and the Shaman Stone, or a +3 nail, or Nail Arts and a +2 nail.
>>
>>384390237
Anyone that tanks that shit needs to be slapped. That fight is best experienced when you are both flying around the room taking swipes at each other. I love that fight so much and I'm going to make a save just outside the boss at the earliest point you can fight him, just because that was when I encountered the dream bosses the first time.
>>
>>384390237
>Radiance
>one of the hardest
She deal a lot of damages per hit but her patterns are slow and predictable so it's quite easy.
>>
File: 20170708201538_1.jpg (202KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170708201538_1.jpg
202KB, 1920x1080px
What is this?
>>
>>384389956
You're a retard. The nailmaster charm is a must have for trial of fools and the charge attacks are incredibly useful for getting a serious hit in before the enemy has time to react to you. Keep being stubborn and pretending its useless though, everyone else knows you're wrong
>>
>>384396771
Likely cut content
A lot was cut, and how lacking in boss battles that area was seems to point to such
>>
>>384391591
Depends when you do him. I tried Lost Kin right after Broken Vessel and got my shit pushed for 2 hours. Came back much later with the pure nail and quick slash and ploughed through him in a couple of minutes
>>
>>384396509
She is predictable, but she doesn't give you room to heal, so if you choke, you die.
>>
>>384397823
>but she doesn't give you room to heal
acquire skill
>>
>>384397823
>needing to heal
How about you just not get hit?
>>
>>384388825

I agree, got him on my third try.

shape, focus, and greedy strength.

Shade cloak makes her projectiles pretty much useless.
>>
Been playing this lately. Last time I played I reached Flukemarm and had to take a break.
What an annoying fight, and feels like one mistake and you are done. It's so easy to get swarmed by the bugs and if you focus too much on killing them you never get around hitting the boss.
>>
>>384398850
Flukemarm is pretty bad, but what you are suppose to do is put on your spell stuff. Use it's children to get soul and then just blast it.
>>
>>384398850
Fluke is optional, just come back late game and bust his ass
>>
>friend bought game and wouldn't shut up about it
>wants everyone to play it
>go to his place and play a bit, beat the slamming magician or whatever after a few tries, getting used to the game
>dares us to beat the final boss
>beat it after like 10 or 20 minutes
How is this game hard again? you can win easily if you take your time and attack the bosses during their recovery animations or whenever they have a punishable move. Don't just stab them like an idiot and have patience and you'll win easily.
This game isn't the hardcore gem that everyone makes it out to be. Stop being hurr durr so dark souls-esque guise retarded fanboys.
>>
>>384398956
>>384398985
I was kinda thinking of leaving it and coming back with better stuff.
>>
>>384399034
On the other hand, you can just stab them like an idiot and recieve damage because that way you refill your cum vessel and heal more often. Mash attack button and recieve free healing.
>>
>>384399034

Pretty much this. I almost didn't buy the game because I was afraid of the "hardcore difficulty"

And yeah, it was a truly enjoyable experience, but certainly not the nightmare everyone made it out to be.

Even white palace.
>>
>>384399034
I like how it makes it easy to tell the casuals from people that actually like games. It's no harder then any other Metroidvania game, though I was surprised by the ramp up. Once you are in the groove though, it's hard to lose. Steel Soul mode can be a little hard at the start.

>>384399410
I think White Palace just freaks people out because the game stops completely holding your hand and if you can't see outside of where the intended path is, it looks like a complete death trap. Once you can see that there are many paths around and even some short cuts, the whole thing becomes cake.
>>
File: 1457193637369.jpg (305KB, 581x542px) Image search: [Google]
1457193637369.jpg
305KB, 581x542px
>>384399410
fucking white palace
>what a tranquil place
>soothing colors and relaxing piano background music
>also fucking SPINNING SAWBLADES

that was one of the very few instances where the design was really questionable and out of place
otherwise I would definitely recommend Hollow Knight for the art design and atmosphere, exploration was fun as fuck
>>
>>384400334
>also fucking SPINNING SAWBLADES

Was that supposed to be a reference to super meat boy ?

>>384400153

You may be right, it is indeed completely out of place with the rest of the game.

Still, It was one of my favorite zone in the game, had a lot of fun.
>>
>>384400960
One sawblade in some obscure location would have been enough for a reference, a whole area covered in them is pretty overkill especially when the rest of the game follows a pretty consistent aesthetic
>>
>>384386479
How do I beat watcher knights? I can't git gud, and I don't have a joystick, and I'm stuck there
>>
>>384400334
>I would definitely recommend Hollow Knight for the art design and atmosphere, exploration was fun as fuck

It was, atmosphere really was top notch.

The game takes A LOT from the soul serie though ( not that it's a bad thing ), I didn't expect that ( story especially is almost exactly the same. )
>>
>>384398014
By the time you spot enough of the pattern to heal, you might as well git gud, get the fucking blessing of Lifeblood, and just go ham.
>>
File: Samu.png (1MB, 1613x936px) Image search: [Google]
Samu.png
1MB, 1613x936px
Did anyone else get goosebumps at the part where you climb out of the abyss right before you get to fight the true boss?
>mfw No mind to think
No will to break
>No voive to cry suffering
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.