[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are GPU's so fucking expensive? Back when i bought this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: asusgtx780.jpg (1MB, 3232x2472px) Image search: [Google]
asusgtx780.jpg
1MB, 3232x2472px
Why are GPU's so fucking expensive? Back when i bought this 780 it was the best card at that moment and it was roughly 370€

Now if you want a mere 1070 you already pay double, a 1080 or a ti is even more expensive and it's just been 3 years or something.
>>
>>384373275
Welcome to the new crypto reality

It'll crash soon enough
>>
File: xboxonex.jpg (60KB, 769x428px) Image search: [Google]
xboxonex.jpg
60KB, 769x428px
just buy a console bro
>>
Cryptocucks
>>
>>384373275
Discrete GPUs used to be basically required which allowed the companies making them to defer more costs.
Now onboard graphics are becoming increasingly capable eating the more profitable old low end markets.
Combine that with inflation and you have a recipe for rising costs as the high end creeps ever higher.

The current crypto currency boom/bust cycle doesn't help but its ultimately going to be a blip on the radar as discrete GPUs become more and more of a specialty niche product.
>>
>>384373915
but 2 or 3 times more expensive in only 3 years or something?
>>
>>384373343
>>384373575
>>384373915

please explain
>>
>>384373915
you're an idiot
>>
>>384373964
Buttcoin
>>
>>384373964
They're buying up all the cards to mine with and that's jacking up the prices. Supply and demand 101.
>>
>>384373964
cryptocurrency miners bought all the gpus on the market so the few stores that have remaining stock jacked up the prices, basic supply and demand economics.
>>
>>384373958
There's been very little reason for the companies to lower costs. People are still willing to pay certain prices for specific levels of performance so companies have introduced newer higher end cards for the market that's willing to pay.

Long run we're probably going to wind up with SOCs and high end halo product discrete cards without much in the middle.
>>
>>384374106
>>384374094
>>384373575
>>384373343
ok guys im retarded how does a fucking graphics card have to do with bitcoin shit
>>
>>384374552
Not bitcoin, ethereum. GPUs are starting to become less efficient at ethereum mining though, so it should start dying down soon enough.
>>
>>384374552
'Graphics Card' is today kind of a misnomer they're really massively parallel general purpose compute cards.
They're much better at certain kids of operations than CPUs and that includes the kinds of operations needed for mining crypto currencies.
>>
>>384374552
Bitcoin is mined with ASICs, ie. dedicated bitcoin mining chips that are much faster for it than GPUs. The bitcoin rehashes ("altcoins") don't have ASICs for them yet so the fastest way to mine them is with GPUs.
>>
>>384374765
im even more confused now
>>
>>384373275
I just wait till the card I want is under 200 usd. The Nvidia 60 series is what I have been getting, went from a 260 to a 960
>>
Because for the past few years, Nvidia hasn't had any competition in the high end GPU segment, so they've been able to get away with charging ludicrous prices for their units. You see the disparity in the mid to low range where AMD competes and both companies cards are much lower priced, relatively. Of course, because of a recent boom in cryptocurrency mining using GPUs, the price of these cards are inflated a bit, but if you look back six months ago, both cards sold for around $250,

If AMD is able to compete in the high end with Vega (though initial reports suggest it may not), you might see prices go down from Nvidia. Though more likely you'll probably just see Volta (Nvidia's next architecture) come out sooner.
>>
>>384374957
bitcoin isnt the only crypto currency there is, there are plenty of variations on the term, one being called ethereum.
and ethereum can only be mined using gpus, which caused the price spike
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.