[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The PSP sold 80 million units and is the only non-Nintendo portable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: psp.jpg (113KB, 1280x878px) Image search: [Google]
psp.jpg
113KB, 1280x878px
The PSP sold 80 million units and is the only non-Nintendo portable to get that kind of market share/sales. What went right? and why did the Vita fail (other than the memory cards)?
>>
Vita didn't get reliably hacked until about a year ago or so.
>>
because when it was released smart phones were just barely emerging, only the rich would have their razer phones and nokia shit. The gimmick of having all that shit + a gaming device back in 2005 was fucking amazing.
>>
Smartphones and tablets literally did not exist yet.

That's it.
>>
>>384351606
>>384351639
Why is the 3DS selling so well then?
>>
>>384351735
Mario, Pokemon, Monster Hunter, etc.
>>
>>384351516
>why did the Vita fail
Not enough games to appeal to normal people.
>>
Who doesn't want to play GTA and Burnout on the go?
>>
>nintendo games are a lot of fun
>even look great on handhelds
>nintendo usually does well with 3rd party titles for their portables
>hit games like mario kart and monster hunter help a great deal
>nintendo even offered a cheapo version of the 3ds for poor kids that also want to game
>nintendo did a great job of marketing the 3ds

>sony portable games are usually niche flavor
>vita list of games aimed at your typical fan of japanese titles
>games look amazing but lack of western lineup reduces the consoles appeal outside of japan
>vita was(and still) $199+, and really shit the bed with that $299 price tag for 3g model
>sony a shit at marketing at the vita in the west

has nothing to do with piracy, and everything to do with lack of games and poor marketing.
>>
>>384351735
It isn't selling amazingly. It might peak at around 80 million.

Considering the games it has if it had came out 10 years ago it would have probably sold 120 million+ units but with smartphones and shit the markets much smaller now for dedicated handhelds.
>>
>>384351516
Not enough of an appeal to kids.
>>
>>384351516

PSP was hacked nice and early making it much more appealing.
>>
>>384351516
>What went right?
piracy
>>
>>384352440
I'm not sure there are enough people who even know about hacking a psp to have fuelled 80 million sales
>>
Because it was successfully marketed as a great alternative to Nintendo's (being honest) kiddy-oriented system. Had notoriety as a Sony console when PS was selling like hotcakes and none of steep the competition today.
>>
PSP was once like the iPhone, that device that literally everyone wanted to have. I know a lot of people who wanted a PSP like crazy and that didn't know shit about piracy. When a device is that popular, most of buyers are not the classical core user.
>>
>>384354583
I bought a PSP solely because of the big homebrew scene. That and non-proprietary SD cards that cost a fortune.
>>
>>384351516
Nintendo bought portable exclusivety from Square and Capcom and the like for pretty much any handheld titles they would make so Vita couldnt possibly get any traction with well known series even if they had been on PSP previously. Its also the reason why all these game were published and localized by Nintendo in the west even though those companies were more than capable of doing it themselves
>>
>>384357685
>Nintendo bought portable exclusivety from Square and Capcom and the like for pretty much any handheld titles
No evidence for this at all
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.