[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anybody else agree that Hong Kong>Dragonfall Hong Kong has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

File: SR hong kong.jpg (130KB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
SR hong kong.jpg
130KB, 768x432px
Anybody else agree that Hong Kong>Dragonfall

Hong Kong has better gameplay, but the story also has more emotional impact with the fleshed out backstory for the PC and their relationship with Duncan/Raymond. I felt really bad siding with Kindly Cheng
and refusing to restore Duncan's SIN
at the end of the post game campaign.

Also had better party members barring Is0bel. Gobbet is the best girl in the series.
>>
I haven't tried the extra campaign yet.

Been thinking of doing a replay with a full cybernetic Glory build but the mere act of moving around in the world is a chore and the constant text dumps doesn't help either.
>>
>>384334730
Yeah, that's the one flaw, aside from the bugs, that hong kong has is WORDSWORDSWORDS.
>>
Dragonfall had a cooler campaign, setting, and characters.

I will admit, Hong Kong has that cool Russian Psyhopath.
>>
>>384334931
I don't mind the text dumps. It's obviously evoking the feeling of older PC games; which in turn were trying to evoke the feeling of pen & paper RPGs. Which makes sense, given Shadowrun started off as a pen & paper RPG.

My problem, though, was that if you're going to do text dumps, at least bother to fucking spellcheck. Hong Kong was lousy with typos at launch. I'll forgive smaller foreign studios that have to do their own translations/localizations with a small staff, but HBS is based out of Seattle.

Hong Kong was good, but it wasn't that much better than Dragonfall. I thought, with the exception of Duncan and his relationship with the player character, the cast of Dragonfall was better. And the few additions to the gameplay that Hong Kong brought didn't add much. I don't think I used the ley lines once the entire game. I did think the new Matrix was better than Returns/Dragonfall, but I know a lot of people will disagree with me; the old Matrix was just regular battles with really wonky turns.
>>
>>384335038
I really liked Gaichu and Duncan, found them more interesting than everyone in the Dragonfall cast except Glory. Gobbet was a goofy fun character too.
>>
>>384335396
Hong Kong's long paragraphs felt unnecessary. Dragonfall felt like it was better at getting the point across without the huge info dumps.

It's great if you want to know even small detail of a character's backstory, but can be kinda tedious, especially if you're replaying the game.
>>
SOLDIER
Eiger > Duncan

DECKER
Blitz > Is0bel

SHAMAN
Dietrich = Gobbet

CREEPY MELEER
Gaichu > Glory

LEFT OVERS
Racter > Dante

I'd call it a tie.
>>
>>384335974
I thought Glory was better gameplay wise because Gaichu's best attacks depended on him using his quest reward sword, which was already crap by the time you got it.

Either way, I mostly just used them to flank and flush enemies out of cover so they can be shot and/or fireballed.
>>
File: 1479916189828.png (7KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1479916189828.png
7KB, 300x300px
>>384335038
I preferred HK because DF's setting was the same with Seattle except in Germany with very little of Germany in it. I'd love a campaign set in Laos or in the Philippines since the shit happening there in 2050s is fucking crazy.

>>384335396
I don't mind text dumps either but with VNs you get changing portraits, shaking screen when something is revealed (although I don't like this) and some animated scenes. The player is often visually engaged. In SRR, the text dumps are stale in comparison.

I thought the characters themselves were about on par with DF. Gobbet was a cute in a gutterpunk way, Is0bel reminded me of of a tame /v/ except in little sister form, bringing Gaichu along everywhere is hilarious and his backstory was fucking cool and Racter... well he's Racter. Not to mention that the denizens of your hub is also fleshed out more than DF making it feel like they're actually living there and not just there to add to the scene props.

>>384335872
There's a huge drop in prose work between DMS to DF/HK. To this day, I still prefer the writing style of DMS.
>>
>>384336160
>he fell for the katana meme
>he didn't have Gaichu go the ghoul claw route
Next playthrough, seriously give it a try. The debuffs and self-heals are fucking nuts.
>>
File: 1481822600127.png (53KB, 366x263px) Image search: [Google]
1481822600127.png
53KB, 366x263px
>Dragonfall gives you more party members than you can take on a mission
>Hong Kong gives you even more
>>
>>384336381
Because that's how RPGs work?
>>
>>384336381
Because if they only gave you three members, it would lock you into being whatever was missing. Maybe you don't want to have to be the Magic guy or the decker or the muscle?
>>
File: class 3 surge cry.gif (2MB, 640x346px) Image search: [Google]
class 3 surge cry.gif
2MB, 640x346px
>>384336381
Is this your first time with RPGs, anon? They each fill a role and your party composition depends on the MC's build.
>>
>>384334008
I agree, the gameplay is obviously better and Dragonfall's main story isn't as good as people make out, I mean its better but not significantly.
I think it's mostly because the characters stories are flatter in hong kong.

It would be nice if the next one is based around one of these amazing slick merc squad's the pc is always destroying. I can only stand so much 'lol we're the scum of the earth with nothing from nothing but that makes us great' stories.
>>
>>384336374
It's been a while since I played it, but there's a reason I didn't go with claws, but I don't remember what it was. It may have been that it was a lower chance to hit? Or maybe if you missed, the enemy got to stay in cover, but he would always stand up out of cover even if you missed with a sword? Something like that.
>>
Yeah, Hong Kong was definetly more interesting to me and that's coming from someone that loved the setting of neo-anarchist Berlin and that has an eversion to oriental themes, but Hong Kong was just a better game with more options. It also had the best mission out of the trilogy in the DLC, the one with the little girl.
>>
>>384336573
>doesn't want to play as shadowrunners
>in a game called Shadowrun

Conversely,
>wants to play as the corporation
>in a cyberpunk game
>>
>>384336573
>we're the scum of the earth with nothing from nothing but that makes us great
Welcome to Shadowrun, omae.

>>384336705
Dude, http://www.corpgame.com/
>>
>>384336381
If anything, the games needs more diversity and more characters. Too many things have no representation.

ARCHETYPES
>Steet Samurai: 4 (Eiger, Glory, Duncan Wu, Gaichu)
>Mage: 0
>Decker: 3 (Monica, Blitz, Is0bel)
>Shaman: 2 (Dietrich, Gobbet)
>Rigger: 1 (Racter)
>Physical Adept: 0

RACES
>Human: 6 (Monica, Glory, Dietrich, Blitz, Racter, Gaichu)
>Elf: 0
>Dwarf: 1 (Is0bel)
>Ork: 1 (Gobbet, Duncan Wu)
>Troll: 1 (Eiger)
>>
Any custom campaigns worth a damn? I played one, it was called "The Caldecott Caper" and I found it rather amateurish.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
9KB, 480x360px
>>384337085
good. Fuck elves.
>>
>>384336160
Gaichu's a goddamn tank. Also I never got the sword. I let him turn the samurai dude into a ghoul.
>>
>>384337238
Yeah, but it's odd that a game set in Hong Kong wouldn't have a physical adept, right? Literal Kung Fu mages not appearing in the Chinese game?
>>
>>384337328
yeah, it kinda is weird, but I guess they have a vendor that was given a backstory.
>>
>>384337085
Elves are for raping.

>>384337172
Shit, man. There's a couple I've played which were decent but none of them can compete with DF/HK but I don't remember their names. I'm thinking of completing this shit ass campaign I was designing but just adding new items into the game proper is a fucking nightmare that I'd probably fare better with making my own game.
>>
>>384337085
Does Gaichu really count as human anymore?
>>
>>384336705
>>384336864
You guys realise that shadow runners aren't just gutter trash right? They also work for corporations all the time.
I might have worded it wrong,
>>
>>384337451
as much as any other metahuman, so not really, no.
>>
>>384337463
Those are high level runners with milspec equips. It'd be cool but I dunno if HBS would or can pivot to that direction. We're talking about the people that took an expansion pack to implement a save system and couldn't figure out how to add their own audio files back into a game, all of this while having the engine's SDK. I think they're comfortable where they are with low level runners.

Be nice to have a dude in ironman armor flying about though.
>>
>>384337791
>Be nice to have a dude in ironman armor flying about though.

By the end of Hong Kong's DLC you're pretty much as badass as ironman.
>>
>>384337451
Well, he's definitely more of a Human than he is an Elf, Ork, Troll or Dwarf.
>>
>>384337417
isn't there an editor that shipped with the games? How bad must it be then if almost no one is making content with it? NWN has modules everywhere for example.
>>
What Shadowrunner names do you people use? My usual go-to's are:

Decker: Proxy
Rigger: Jury-Rig
S.Samurai: Crusader
P.Adept: Suplex (I like Troll Physical Adepts)
>>
>>384338743
I usually name my RPG characters with either names of my rl friends or names of random townsfolk. I named all 3 of my runners in the trilogy after real life friends and they all had the nickname of "The Fag"
>>
>>384338591
The programming aspect is alright. You cannot add items as easily as in NWN because the head honcho thought it would ruin the balance of his game. Forgetting the fact that you need to edit a campaign to integrate said items. If you do get to add shit, you can only use icons and models that game came out with. The only thing you can truly add are portraits and some scene props.

Comparing the SR editor to NWN is like comparing a cardboard box to a mansion.
>>
>>384339004
>balance
>in custom maps
What?
>>
>>384339173
I think you can move characters from campaign to campaign.
>>
>>384338743
Decker: Mr. Hacks
Rigger: Mr. Toys
S.Samurai: Mr. Shoots
P.Adept: Mr. Punch
Mage: Mr. Magoo

>>384339173
I think they wanted people to always have the option to keep using the same character across several campaigns. Then dumped that idea when DF came about but by then, the engine was already saddled with their design decisions, chief among them is that the damn thing is designed to run in mobile.
>>
>>384334008
>Hong Kong has better gameplay,

People keep saying this but what exactly did they improve? They just gave you even more toys to make an already trivial game even easier.
>>
File: SRHK 2015-08-21 18-24-05-597.jpg (346KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
SRHK 2015-08-21 18-24-05-597.jpg
346KB, 1360x768px
>>384338743
I sometimes use names from other games if they fit the build.
>>
>>384339504
well they also gave you more of a reason to explore levels than previous games, then there's also the fact you can choose what kind of a levelup your teammates get, then they retweaked the matrix... can't remember anything else, but it has been a while since I played the games.
>>
>>384339504
>matrix segments aren't as tedious
>melee focused characters aren't as gimped as dragonfall
>more options for physical adepts
>more cyberware options

Small editions, but they do make the game alot more fun. Also I'd say it's harder to min max and break the game than in Dragonfall.
>>
>>384339770
Matrix was a huge plus.
>>
>>384339840
Hong Kong's hacking minigame was pretty great.
>>
>>384338743
>Dragonfall
Elbelgast, Elf Mage

>Hong Kong
Jackpot, Ork Adpet
>>
>>384338743
I just use biblical names in every game I play, like Michael, Ezekiel or Samuel.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.