[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anywhere I can find Bengus' art of the other Street Fighter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 10

File: sfv bengus alex costume.png (694KB, 851x484px) Image search: [Google]
sfv bengus alex costume.png
694KB, 851x484px
Anywhere I can find Bengus' art of the other Street Fighter V postlaunch characters?
>>
File: hsienko-revenge.png (169KB, 408x519px) Image search: [Google]
hsienko-revenge.png
169KB, 408x519px
How do you go from this...
>>
And this...
>>
To this? Did he just stop drawing? Or was he just rushed?
>>
>>384265783
>>384265872
When Capcom comes to you and says, "we need you to do ALL of the incidental art and scene transitions for this game, and we don't have a lot of money or time.", there's a good chance the art will come out shit.

I also wonder if he is just used to doing art traditionally as opposed to digitally.
>>
>>384266134
>I also wonder if he is just used to doing art traditionally as opposed to digitally.
Bingo. All of his classic art was traditional.
>>
>>384266134
This is what I'm assuming.

I don't want to believe someone this great just stopped trying anymore.
>>
File: chara01.jpg (129KB, 1000x1541px) Image search: [Google]
chara01.jpg
129KB, 1000x1541px
>>384266523
>All of his classic art was traditional.
From about 1997 onward he started coloring stuff digitally. The linework looks like it was still done traditionally, though.
>>
File: bengus laura sample.jpg (74KB, 566x800px) Image search: [Google]
bengus laura sample.jpg
74KB, 566x800px
>>384266058
Turns out people's art changes over 20 years. Bengus had long since switched to a more fluid, dynamic style, which was evident in stuff like his art for Alpha 3 and Marvel vs. Capcom 2. In SFV where he was being asked to draw ~10 unique story illustrations for 16 characters on top of various promotional material, they're not going to be amazing. But as shown by your example they're still more dyanamic and interesting than other fighting game 2D art, if they even include that.
>>
>>384267389
>More dynamic and fluid.
You must be joking...

His new shit looks stiff as goddamn board compared to how it was before.

In the example I posted, it looks like 12 year old deviantart kid drew it.
>>
>>384267389
Street Fighter is a multimillion dollar production that took multiple years to make. It is not unreasonable to ask a professional artist to produce 160 decent images in that time.

That picture of Chun Li and Claw is a filtered screenshot of a stage from the game, some really rough brush photoshop brush strokes that should be a preliminary sketch for a professional artist, and then some sloppy coloring with lighting that makes no sense. It's a mess, and not at all acceptable for someone who has made a career out of their art.
>>
File: bengus evolution.jpg (45KB, 575x209px) Image search: [Google]
bengus evolution.jpg
45KB, 575x209px
>>384268758
> deviantart lol

Wow, what a unique and challenging critcism. Still doesn't change the fact that Bengus worked in a variety of styles and changed their art like most every artist.
>>
>>384267389
Even that looks fucking shit. Laura doesn't even look like herself.
>>
>>384266058
>Vega's claw is just three lines
look you can't expect the guy to FINISH his drawings. He had to do nearly 200 drawings in 4 years.
>>
>>384269736
>He had to do nearly 200 drawings in 4 years
That's assuming that Capcom didn't at the last second realize that they weren't going to have the full story mode for launch, and needed something to supplement it in the meantime.

I can't imagine they gave him much more than a year. Likewise for each of the bonus characters he probably only has a month or two of time where they have any of that stuff finalized prior to release.
>>
>>384269557
Yeah and their new artstyle is complete generic garbage now.

https://www.pinterest.com/g6412/random-sketches/

Look at all his new garbage and tell me with a straight face that its more "dynamic" and "fluid" than his old stuff and that you wouldn't be able to pick it apart from any random picture on a booru?

All of the subtleties that made his shit unique left with the switch to digital a long time ago it seems. I personally don't blame it being digital for this either, I'm starting to think he really did just get lazy because of all the things digital does for you and started going for moe moe kyun trash.
>>
>>384269956
I don't think you recognize how little work went into those images. A skilled artist, especially one like Bengus who has been drawing martial arts poses for decades, could knock out those poses and compositions in a couple hours tops, and since there appears to be absolutely no cleanup on the linework, it's straight on to coloring, which in this sloppy case is probably an afternoon of work.

The background portion is literally a screenshot of the game with a radial motion blur filter and some kind of edge sharpening filter, and then the colored lines on the top and bottom are likely something drawn one time, and then dragged into the image.

These story illustrations are very, VERY lazy, and it's not unfair to compare them to amateur deviantart work.
>>
>>384270554
>the colored lines on the top and bottom are likely something drawn one time, and then dragged into the image.
Actually now that I'm looking closer at it, I think they're photoshop clouds run through one of the painting or colored pencil filters, and then there was a color gradient overlay placed on top.
>>
File: bengus ultra street fighter 2.jpg (839KB, 1926x2447px) Image search: [Google]
bengus ultra street fighter 2.jpg
839KB, 1926x2447px
>>384270446
Yeah, the newer style is more dynamic and fluid. Both can exist.
>>
File: 1398976725128.jpg (1MB, 1728x3728px) Image search: [Google]
1398976725128.jpg
1MB, 1728x3728px
>>384270446
Do you know that sometimes artists have a peak in their career and then unintentionaly their style changes to something less beautiful than before ? Or they "lose" what made them good to begin with ?

There are a lot of exemples in popular manga. I don't really like how One Piece looks right now. I also think that Araki peaked half way through Jojo's Diamond is unbreakable run and then it changed dramatically, just have a look a Jojolion. Not for the worst but I liked it better before.

I myself as a drawfag experience this a bit. What I do now is way better than 3 years ago but It seems way harder to pull off a good picture now than before. I was way better at dynamic stuffs before (with my old shitty style) than now with my current style.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.