[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Heralded as one of the best JRPGs of all time >The second

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 234
Thread images: 24

File: top-100-rpgs_xenogears[1].jpg (73KB, 628x360px) Image search: [Google]
top-100-rpgs_xenogears[1].jpg
73KB, 628x360px
>Heralded as one of the best JRPGs of all time
>The second disc is literally two of the main characters sitting in a chair while you read walls of text and occasionally have a boss fight.

Did I get tricked? What the fuck is happening?
>>
I dropped this garbage after 10 hours.
>>
I don't know if you got tricked. The second disc is a joke, but I still really like it. It's all about the story, lore, and world building. I was a high schooler when I played, about the time in my life when I started to comprehend the themes presented in the story, and it just hooked my imagination.
>>
>>384244623
>Heralded as one of the best JRPGs of all time
by whom?
>>
>>384244623
>JRPG
This thing is a 2-4 cours anime made into a game. It's nothing but text scrolling for lenghty periods of time between short gameplay sequences.
>>
File: VM8eJ.png (63KB, 271x267px) Image search: [Google]
VM8eJ.png
63KB, 271x267px
>>384244623
>The second disc is literally two of the main characters sitting in a chair while you read walls of text and occasionally have a boss fight.

2deep4you?
>>
>>384244623
final fantasy 8 happend
>>
>>384246528
yeah there was a lot of god machine animes and games in the 90s
>>
>>384246332
It shows up on every Top JRPGs list ever, it's the reason I'm playing it in the first place.

This is so weird, they give you a wall of text about something that sounded like it would have been really cool to see and then they just throw you into the boss fight at the end of it.

>>384246528
Man if this is just them "borrow" from NGE even more, then they're doing a great job.
>>
>>384246391
That is perfectly fine. If you were buying JRPG's in the '90s you knew that was exactly what you were getting. If the game wasn't anime with short gameplay and exploration sequences it wouldn't be a JRPG.
>>
>>384246636
>It shows up on every Top JRPGs list ever
the """game""" is fucking shit, there are tons of rpgs with superior gameply (the only thing that matters)
>>
>>384244623
incomplete masterpiece
>>
They ran out of their budget extension and only got enough on another extension with strict warnings to wrap the game up and get it shipped out.
>>
>>384246391
> cours

Dear lord, this isn't 2008. Stop that nonsense.
>>
File: Xenogears Chronicles.png (398KB, 520x390px) Image search: [Google]
Xenogears Chronicles.png
398KB, 520x390px
>>
So am I stuck jumping from boss fight to boss fight until the end of the game?
>>
>>384246636
NGE didn't exist yet when Xenogears story was written. Don't be a dumbass.
>>
>>384247546
>NGE finished airing in 96
>Xenogears took two years to make and came out in 1998

Don't be a dumbass.
>>
>>384247546
Yes it did.
>>
>>384244623
It's certainly memorable. And a nice change of pace from the blistering end of disc 1. And they gave you dungeons to explore at least.
>>
What the fuck? No it isnt
>>
>>384247827
It was an hour ago when I made this thread.

I jumped the gun, I admit, I'm in a dungeon now.
>>
>>384248740
Don't expect it to last that way for long. Your initial assessment isn't far off.
>>
File: 22142781.jpg (89KB, 576x393px) Image search: [Google]
22142781.jpg
89KB, 576x393px
I actually really enjoyed the second disk. The first one laid out the world before me and gave hours upon hours of character building. Then second disk kicks it into gear and really gets to the point with the story. The boss rush plus having Hyuga use his badass sword brought the game up to 9.5/10.
>>
>>384244623

Disc Two becomes a visual novel and it's not so much a bad thing. I don't know why people make so much a fuss about it.
>>
>>384244623
Didn't have enough time to finish the game so instead of leaving it on a cliff hangar they decided to finish the story with what they had
>>
>>384246332
Shut the fuck up
>>
>>384249906
They had time. It was just mismanaged.
>>
The second disk is what makes it good. The fact that it is badly rushed thrown togeather crap on top of the first disk's themes makes the whole thing have a sense of urgency and mystery.

If they were able to complete it properly it would probably have ended up being a mediocre game.
>>
>>384246710
RPGs without any kind of lore isn't an RPG
>>
>>384246710
The battle system in the game is fantastic
>>
>>384250162
>no depth, no strategy, and excessively long animations

No.
>>
>>384244623
It doesn't matter. Even today, even with disc 2, it has one of the best stories in vidya. And don't say "its shit". Name specific rpgs that you think have better stories. And "no vidya has a good story" isn't an answer either.
>>
>>384244623
They literally ran out of money.
>>
>>384250013
>>384249906
It was more "Square's budget was being poured into FF8 at the time so all other projects were left with table scraps for money."
>>
>>384250162
oh fuck off.
>>
>>384250162
It is. The combos, being able to fight on foot and with mechs and later on on foot vs mechs.
Glorious.
>>
>>384244623
It's just the story that is praised to that extent.
>>
>>384250162
I like it, I just wish I knew how to unlock deathblows for sure, most of the ones I unlocked seemingly randomly.

Also, I think I'm doing something wrong because the elemental attacks seem like they're shit? I'm using Elly in this dungeon and she's isn't nearly as good as Citan or Fei.
>>
>>384246653
>arc the lad
no u
>>
>>384251124
Sometimes Elly isn't that good in dungeons.
>>
>>384250489
That's just a retarded, debunked rumor perpetuated by fanboys unwilling to accept the truth.
>>
>>384251493
I mean just elemental attacks in general.

You would think an attack that costs a resource would do more damage then just doing a deathblow combo for free.
>>
>>384251886
I remember her doing a lot more damage later or in thinking of her mech. I think she's supposed to be the designated Healer.

It's been awhile my bad
>>
>>384252328
She's only good if you abuse the Ether Doubler.
>>
>>384252328
She needs an ether doubler
Then her aerods in her mech do bullshit damage.
She does kind of suck on foot though unless an enemy has an elemental weakness.
>>
>>384244623
The budget ran out.

It really is the Evangelion of video games after all
>>
>>384250489
Takahashi recently said that it was more like poor management. They knew from the start how much money and time they had. They quickly realized they wouldn't be able to do everything and Square said to just finish the game at Disc 1, but Takahashi didn't like living the story unfinished so he made Disc 2 instead.

I still think he made the right choice, the story starts getting really good towards the end of Disc 1, so even if people bitch a lot about Disc 2, it's still the reason why the story is so memorable.
>>
>>384244623
>Squaresoft game is massively overrated
You don't say?
>>
>>384253086
>recently

Got an interview?
>>
>>384253189
https://archive.fo/Bgn48
>>
I got to the second disc and dropped the game. I couldn't stand it, so I never finished it.
>>
>>384253189
Not him, but I also read that interview, but it's on Shitaku
>>
File: 13-nanodaughter17.gif (126KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
13-nanodaughter17.gif
126KB, 640x480px
How do you feel about pic related?
>>
>>384253342
>>384253357
I prefer it when he admits he's a shitty director that likes quitting halfway through projects. In fact, I'm going to trust the old Iwata Asks interview over Kotaku garbage.
>>
>>384253590
She has late game party syndrome but I did use her for a bit and she seemed really powerful.

I thought she went with Elly to the Nano beam cannon so she could kill her because she figured Elly was the only thing keeping Daddy Fei from staying with her forever.
>>
>>384246169
Same for me anon.
I still haven't played a game like it story wise.

Someone recommended some books by Philip K. Dick that have pretty similar themes, but I keep putting it off.
>>
>>384253590
I remember randomly going to a lighthouse and all of a sudden she was older.
>>
>>384244623
I think they praise it for the story. Not the game.

So you're just getting more of the good stuff.
If you want to PLAY a game, why not play a platformer where you actually the game.

I recommend Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.
>>
>>384247671
>>384247652
No it didn't, Xenogears was in development before Evangelion started production. Xenogears was written before Final Fantasy 6 finished and was presented to Square as a potential script for Final Fantasy 7 which was ultimately rejected. That said Xenogears had a fairly large impact on what became Final Fantasy 7 they borrowed many aspects from the Xenogears script in the final game.

It took nothing from Evangelion but influenced Final Fantasy 7. Which is why you can't look at release dates when you make these arguments.
>>
>>384255176
Bullshit.
>>
>>384250391
Oh come on, it's all about action point management. You can just use it all up every turn or you can save some up, then if you saved up enough you can string together a massive combo. Many bosses have a desperation phase where at 40% health they start using more powerful attacks, if you play right you can totally skip this phase. There is a ton of strategy in there.
>>
>>384244623
The game is not super amazing, but definitely still great, the second disc isn't as big of a deal as it first seems since its like 1/3 or 1/4 the length of the first disc, and it redeems itself in the end by actually giving you a game to play.
For your question of what is happening, its what happens when a game sudden runs out of money in the middle of development.
>>
>>384244623
Would have been the absolute best start to a franchise if they were allowed to make the other 4 games.
>>
File: xenogears cd2.png (158KB, 638x477px) Image search: [Google]
xenogears cd2.png
158KB, 638x477px
>>384253590
Cute. One of the best daughterfus in vidya.

>>384254679
VALIS perhaps? The concept and perception of God is a big theme in that book. A lot of his later works focus on theology as well, like The Divine Invasion. The short story The Infinites kind of has some slight similarities with Xenogears too but for different reasons.

Although if I had to point out similarities with sci-fi writers, before PKD, I think the most obvious one would be Clarke.

>>384255417
I think it's a bit pointless to discuss how much unfluence one got from the other simply because we weren't there and all we can do is speculate. However what that anon said is true, Xenogears' story was done many years before development even started but it's still possible that some changes were made later because of NGE.
>>
>>384255417
Go read
https://xenogearsxenosagastudyguide.blogspot.com/p/the-history-of-xenogears.html
>>
>>384255176
Only thing that comes up when googling this is a Reddit post. You should probably go back there.
>>
>>384250162
Fantastically fun, yes, but you can't tell me that it didn't need more fleshing out, especially gear combat.
>>
>>384255830
Nigger, it's even on Wikipedia.

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/06/11/soraya-saga-on-xenogears-and-xenosaga/

>Soraya Saga: I and Tetsuya Takahashi originally submitted it as a script idea for Final Fantasy VII
>>
>>384255751
>I think it's a bit pointless to discuss how much unfluence one got from the other simply because we weren't there and all we can do is speculate

The staff denies any influence, Soraya Saga explained where the similarities come from (both being influenced greatly by Childhood's End and Star Wars) and the time frame is wrong considering when the first written. It's an enduring myth solely based on superficial similarities.
>>
>>384253086
You also have to consider that the time spent making Disc 2 could have been spent polishing up Disc 1.

I'm still not convinced having that complete story was better since the game is already so long that most people never finished it and ending on a cliffhanger like would have made Xenogears 2 all the more eagerly anticipated. Who's to say that a more polished Xenogears Disc 1 wouldn't have lead to higher sales, a greenlit sequel for Disc 2 and overall higher quality final production?
>>
File: Capture.png (38KB, 653x343px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
38KB, 653x343px
>>384255794
Thanks, that proved you wrong pretty solidly.
>>
>>384255751
>Although if I had to point out similarities with sci-fi writers, before PKD, I think the most obvious one would be Clarke.
I have read a couple things by Clarke before, I think. (Rendezvous with Rama and I think it was Time's Eye.)
PKD sounds pretty interesting though, I really should order a few of his books.(And more Clarke while I'm at it.)
>>
>>384256812
How so? Seems to prove you wrong entirely and only support what he's saying.
>>
>>384256812
>Soldier of Fortune with multiple personalities
>Cloud is a sword for hire that thinks he's somebody else

Well shit.
>>
>>384255176
>Xenogears was written before Final Fantasy 6 finished and was presented to Square as a potential script for Final Fantasy 7 which was ultimately rejected.
Could you imagine if instead of FFVII being what we know, it was Xenogears instead, that would have been pretty nuts, easily the darkest FF.
Not sure how many people even know about that little fact.
>>
>>384257405
The original draft was obviously nothing like the game we got. It's disingenuous to claim that it the plot in the game was written years before it went into development.
>>
>>384257706
> It's disingenuous to claim
Keep reading, moron.
>>
>>384256170
>based on superficial similarities

Yeah I agree. Thematically, they both talk about very different things, even if ignorant people say Xeno is a copy because it focuses on story and has mechas.

>>384256695
Disc 1 is way too long. I think they could've finished the entire story in one disc if they had cut all the non-crucial stuff like the prison segment, the civil war or that fucking fighting mini-game (still pretty fun). I think a sequel would've been highly unlikely anyway, and it's definitely not something most writers want to do to leave a story unfinished and MAYBE they let me finish it in a sequel.

>>384257314
Xeno also takes a some insipiration from Childhood's End and Space Odyssey, some of Clarke's best works.

>>384257706
>nothing like the game we got

Based on what? The game didn't have mechas, and Fei was a soldier. The rest of the story could be pretty much the same for all we know. The tone and themes were definitely already there considering Square thought it was too dark and sci-fi for an FF. Again, we're only doing pointless speculation over things we know nothing about.
>>
I just remembered something.

What's up with Citan talking about Elly having some sort of reaction to the Omnigear in Shevat? I didn't see anything like that happen.
>>
>>384258448
>The game didn't have mechas, and Fei was a soldier. The rest of the story could be pretty much the same for all we know.

That's just retarded. If even the most basic things about the game underwent heavy change, there's no way the rest of it was left untouched.
>>
File: xenogearsbilly.jpg (107KB, 974x1304px) Image search: [Google]
xenogearsbilly.jpg
107KB, 974x1304px
Hi im the worst party member
>>
>>384258569
It happened in text only on a black screen, if you weren't paying attention to what you were reading then you missed it.
>>
>>384246710
>gameplay in an RPG is the only thing that matters
Wew lad, 0/10
>>
>>384258675
That's not Rico.

Speed is everything in Xenogears and Rico has no speed. Every other character will be getting 2-3 turns for each one Rico gets. And hell billy is better than Maria or Elly are.
>>
>>384258675
I used him has a heal bitch, you basically only need Fei and Citan anyway.
>>
>>384258675

I thought everyone knew bara blanka was the worst party member.
>>
>>384258619
How are mechas or the main character being a soldier relevant to the themes of the game? They're really not. Of course the story was different back then, all stories evolve as time goes on, and are polished, but the original thematic idea doesn't usually change. And it's still very different to the themes in NGE aside from the superficial similarities of having mechs, some elements of psychological drama and a red-head being best girl.

I don't even know why I'm talking about this. The game tends to extremely obvious and in-your-face about its major references and maybe there are, but I don't remember any about NGE.
>>
>>384258894
Bart is also top tier.

The importance of his Wild Smile technique cannot be understated. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl6lXRep6Ws
>>
>>384259313
>Of course the story was different back then

Thank you for admitting that the game wasn't written before FFVI.
>>
>>384259313
I don't think the majority of /v understand the differences between story, plot, and themes.
>>
So how is the gameplay of this game?
I always heard it was on the funnest to play, but now seeing this thread people are saying its bad and only worth it for the story?
>>
>>384259527
You're just being obtuse on purpose aren't you? I obviously meant that it was somewhat different in the little details.

Let me invent an example.

A game about soldier who fights alone by punching demons in the face and eventually faces a demiurge, but manages to kill it with the help of a energy based being from another dimension. The story focuses on developing different ideas and perceptions on what God means while having some psychological aspects into it by depicting a main character with split personality disorder.

Compared to:

A game about some dude who fights with a party with mechas killing other mechas and eventually faces a demiurge, but manages to kill it with the help of a energy based being from another dimension. The story focuses on developing different ideas and perceptions on what God means while having some psychological aspects into it by depicting a main character with split personality disorder.

You understand now? Even if the story changed, the IDEA behind the story could've still been pretty much the same. And still, there are no similarities to NGE with any of this stuff, so I still dont even know what are you discussing here.
>>
>>384244623
Jokes on you faggot, it's three of the main characters sitting in the chair talking
>>
>>384260254
Only a moron would consider significant plot details and character origins "little details."
>>
>>384260254
Just ignore him, he's in damage control mode.
>>
>>384260715
>claim the game was written way before it was released
>prove yourself wrong
>"NO EVERYTHING IS EXACTLY THE SAME EXCEPT FOR THESE MAJOR PLOT DETAILS"
>samefags

You should have thrown in the towel as soon as you proved yourself wrong.
>>
>>384260518
I hope the third character is Chu-Chu
>>
>>384258796
that's sadly what people think now
They want new CoD with RPG elements
>>
>>384260238
Personally I enjoy it. Gameplay on foot is decent, but mech combat is pretty great with some interesting mechanics and experimental bosses that interact with those systems in unexpected ways. Some people say it's mediocre though, I guess it depends on how much you like mechs. Still, if you don't care about stories in games, Xenogears is still probably not for you, since it's the main focus.
>>
>>384244623
They don't call it the Evangelion of vidya for nothing.
>>
It's worth playing once but really suffers on subsequent playthroughs. I'm really sad that Xenosaga never properly connected to it like it was supposed to.
>>
>>384244623
>le disc 2 is bad mayday

I'd rather read about cool shit than slog through sewers and air vents for 80 hours. Seriously, post-Aveh disc 1 is worse.
>>
>>384247529
There's two dungeons and the overworld comes back at the very end.
>>
>>384244623
>Did I get tricked? What the fuck is happening?
they ran out of money. Literally.
>>
>>384250069
If you cut out half of disc 1, lose a few party members (like Rico and Chuchu), make the dungeon crawling good and reappropriate half of disc 1's budget to disc 2, you'd have a stellar game.

If it was done as Takahashi wanted, it would be 300 hours and awful.
>>
>>384260891
It's Bart.
>>
>>384250162
The out of mech combat is okay. The mech combat is absolute shit. Stop kidding yourself.
>>
>>384244623
My favorite game of all time. But I played it when it was released, I don't know how its aged. My wife played it recently and she liked it. As far as old school RPGs go however it's #1 on my list.
>>
>>384263128
>LOSE RICO

look yes he's basically the most USELESS party member but as a character he's good
>>
>unfinished and still better than most WRPGs

Stay buttmad, codexfags.
>>
>>384263669
Am I gonna get a wall of text explaining that Sigmund acknowledges him as his son or naw?
>>
File: file.png (779KB, 815x501px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
779KB, 815x501px
>>384253590
I literally played Xenogears because of her Mochi doujins
>>
File: image.png (141KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
141KB, 500x500px
It's easy to admit disc 2 sucked,but the game had a pretty good Idea of mechanic of fuel limitation that kinda felt like an Evangelionish RPG.The sprite animation was far from a rush job and the characters are very interesting. And quite ironically,It's one of the better mecha games because the majority of them scale from meh to okay.
>>
>>384264340
Good taste.
>>
>>384263826
Rico stops having anything of substance to say after you hand over Redrum's bell.
>>
>>384264861
I kinda feel bad for him, that whole son of the Kaiser plot line was the only thing he had going for him
>>
>>384265048
It would have been better to excise it from the game than to leave it as it is. You end up wasting 1/4 of disc 1 on a subplot that goes nowhere.
>>
>>384263128
>you'd have a stellar game.
So are you going to completely disregard how garbage the actual "gameplay" is? Outside of what little gameplay is in there to begin with of course, or are you seriously going to imply that "DR. Uzuki's Triangle button benchmark" software is actually good?
>>
File: image.png (886KB, 816x1029px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
886KB, 816x1029px
>>384265048
You know how much of a shit they gave towards him when the guy wasn't even hassled to draw his damn arms or lower body on the only official artwork of him.
>>
>>384265368
It's a metaphor for his plotline.

The lore is just that deep.
>>
File: 1465099476971s.jpg (102KB, 430x627px) Image search: [Google]
1465099476971s.jpg
102KB, 430x627px
>just finished grinding out the last Deathblows for my current party
>find out Fei's last two unlock at 70 and 80.

Jesus, I'm only level 64 now and gaining a level is pretty rare
>>
>>384260861
Have you never followed development of literally anything? Things don't remain the same you fucking cunt
>>
>>384246169
Its a really great game with a pretty unique story at the time. Granted it borrowed heavily from philosophy but that hadn't really been done in vidya.

Second disk they ran out of time/money (thx FF8) and it reverts to a VN for the most part but it doesn't cheapen the game that much for me. They had established the world and the characters by then so finishing out the story that way was fine. I havent played any jrpgs for like a decade but I still remember that game fondly.
>>
File: file.png (136KB, 244x357px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
136KB, 244x357px
why this
>>
>>384244623
The red mech always kicked my butt so I quit playing years ago.
>>
File: xenogears.jpg (330KB, 1024x676px) Image search: [Google]
xenogears.jpg
330KB, 1024x676px
>>384266903
https://youtu.be/LJ3mVdNJOc4
>>
>>384264340
true patrician
>>
>>384267174
How do you people know this shit?
>>
>>384267174
but why CHU
why GIANT CHU?
cant chu CHUUSE to be small?
>>
File: antman.webm (1MB, 480x362px) Image search: [Google]
antman.webm
1MB, 480x362px
>>384267435
Why can't the ultras?
>>
>>384265361
>So are you going to completely disregard how garbage the actual "gameplay" is?
Sorry, to me that implicitly falls under making dungeon crawling fun. Should have phrased it better.
>>
>>384266903
i always imagined chu chu didnt want to be left out and it went down something like this

>Everyones getting CHUSIFIED! But not CHU! HEY DONT CHU FORGET ABOUT CHUUU~!
>*grows big*
>CHU WANTS TO BE CHUSIFIED TOO!

And then Krelian is more than willing to do it.
>>
>>384267745
This reminds me that Krelian did nothing wrong.
>>
>>384268018
you mean besides turn humans into canned zombie meat and feed it to the lower class citizens of solaris
>>
>>384267745
>>384268018
Karellen.
>>
>>384244623
Square pulled the funding at it had to be wrapped up pronto.
>>
>>384268120
They're not real humans to begin with, they're synthetic humans created by a rogue intergalactic super weapon who needed biomass to repair itself.
>>
>>384268226
It's more that this was Takahashi's first time directing a game and didn't know how to manage his team.
>>
>fei eats solaris rations on the goliath wreckage and pukes his brains out because its gross
>fei eats solaris rations AGAIN in the soylent factory and only pukes later after realizing what the rations are made out of

>>384268261
so youre saying that the surface dwellers arent human?
are you sure youre not gebler spreading propaganda?
>>
>>384244623
The main point of the game is story and thats what you get in disk 2.
If you are playing Xenogears for the gameplay then you are wasting your time.
>>
do you think citan jacks off furiously after hes done fucking with fei
because im pretty sure its a kink of his and im on disc 2 now
i dont give a fuck about his "double agent long con triple cross i was working for the GOOD GUYS the whole time" endgame bs this dude straight up loves making fei suffer
>>
>>384268593
I think any question about his intentions were put to rest when he had you eat that meat just before showing you what it's made from.
>>
File: emeralda-kasim.jpg (120KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
emeralda-kasim.jpg
120KB, 600x800px
>>384244623
Yep. And it's STILL one of the best games ever despite that. Or because of it?
>>
>hurr durr disk 2 has no gameplay

The disk 1 alone was way longer than most jrpgs normally are. I remember to this day that I checked my time after finishing the first disk and I had like 75 hours.
At the time I had not even idea what a visual novel was and I still sat through all the text because the plot was the important part.
I only got flustered because I thought I wouldnt be able to explore the world map anymore but you get to do it near the end anyway.
>>
File: 1482641912448.jpg (39KB, 400x310px) Image search: [Google]
1482641912448.jpg
39KB, 400x310px
>>384245371
I envy your patience. I dropped this shit after the first 45 minutes. Ridiculously high encounter rate, abysmal platforming and unskippable dialouge. Wtf is this garbage? Why is it rated so high?
>>
File: Emeralda.Kasim.full.1143294.jpg (222KB, 500x640px) Image search: [Google]
Emeralda.Kasim.full.1143294.jpg
222KB, 500x640px
>>384268226
Yeah.I fucking loathe FF7 but the people have spoken, Xenogears sold much less.
>>
File: image.jpg (94KB, 696x539px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94KB, 696x539px
>>384269395
>Xenogears
>High encounter rate

Play something like the original Breath of fire,then you will know what a high encounter rate Is.
>>
>>384268593
Citan is Takahashi.
He's a huge fucking Mary Sue and I hate him.
>>
>>384270786
Soraya Saga pls
>>
Would you like a Xeno fighting game?
>>
>>384270987
Why would his wife hate him? She loves all their characters way too much.
>>
>>384272356
We already had it in Kislev.
It sucked.
>>
I'm in Anima dungeon 2 and I don't know if I should have Emeralda or Billy as my third.
>>
>>384272356
You mean Dragon Ball Xenoverse?
>>
>>384272383
You've never seen anything she's written about how much she hates Elly and Shitan then.
>>
>>384272356
Nah. I just want more Xeno with mechs, don't care if turnbased RPG like Gears or ARPG like Blade X.

Fuck. Blade 2 doesn't look good at all.
>>
To this day I have no idea what the fuck was Xengears about.

You kill "god", Fei was fucking time travelling jesus or something just fuck it.
>>
>>384246169
Everything about this game felt unfinshed to me even before disk 2, the battle system especially. Felt like stats and equipment just don't matter since everything even small enemies are always taking of 1 to 2/3 of your HP each turn. Battles were pretty much just deathblow everything. I could probably count on 1 hand how many times I ever needed to use either or special moves. I'd only recommend this game for its story and nothing else and even then emulate it and use the patch to fix the text speed.
>>
>>384272941
Oh.
Well good on her, Elly's pretty lazy as a character and Citan's shit.
>>
>>384246169
Honestly the second disc sounds better than the first from everything I've been told. All I care about is story and bosses.
>>
>>384272941
Link me that shit, I wanna see her tear them down.
>>
>>384273054
>Fuck. Blade 2 doesn't look good at all.
Let me guess. Artstyle right? Aside from that, the game is looking to be an improvement
>>
I liked what I played so far but I put it on hold a few months ago because it was dragging. I left off right at the start of the prison segment. Someone convince me to keep playing, Evangelion is my favorite show.
>>
>>384273537
One good thing I can say about the Xeno series is its going to make damn well sure to tell its story even with no budget with concept art cutscenes twards the end and the credits roll is taped up pieces of paper taped to the disk.
>>
>>384244623

You used the word "literally" wrong. There are a couple of dungeons to explore. There's also the final dungeon which is fucking awesome. And there's even some anime FMV's thrown in too!

That being said, yes the problems with disc2 are apparent but the game is till fantastic. It was incredibly ambitious. I would rather have a game that took chances and fell on it's face in spots than the safe garbage that makes up the majority of RPGs.
>>
>>384274618
No mechs was the biggest turn off for me, but the artstyle looks awful too. As generic as it gets.

Blade 1 was good but I hoped X would be the direction they would take with the franchise.
>>
Are there cheats I can use for this on emulators? I rather cheese through the tedious parts.
>>
>>384244623
Sometimes a flawed masterpiece is better than a polished turd.
>>
>>384250162

I completely agree with you. Anyone who says the battle system isn't good is flat out wrong.

On foot combat is all about either learning new combos when fighting random mooks or action point management for at least one of the characters to pull off a big combo while the other two try to keep everyone alive. Gear combat is all about asset management, not being able to heal your gear without a large fuel investment.

What you end up with is a combat system where each of the 3 characters has a job to do and isn't just mashing the attack button over and over again. Which was something Square had been suffering from since the early nineties when Xenogears first came out.
>>
>>384274993
>tfw friend calls it "pedophilic" because of Phyrra.
>The main is proportionally equivalent to a 14/15 year old.
>She's like a head taller than him.
>>
>>384275245
The only cheat you'll need is the turbo setting.

Just turn the game up to 5x speed whenever you get to a grindy bit. Oh and buy an Ether doubler when you first get to Nisan, that'll pretty much insure you'll never have any difficulty in the game again.
>>
>>384244623
The second disc was only made due to lack of budget, they used all of it on disc one, but because they didnt want to leave the story at the point of disc one, they decided to finish it with that kind of disc two (it was cheap option, but still not really that bad).
>>
>>384252381
>>384252478

You don't even need to abuse the Doubler to get Elly in a good spot. E Circuit and Power Magic for her Gear will work well, and any accessories that boost her Ether while she's on foot. She has access to area effect spells almost immediately. A.o.E. for player characters are incredibly rare in Xenogears so that makes Elly a fantastic character. What's even better is pretty much every character in the game is useful, none of them really jump out ahead of the others except for maybe Fei and Citan. So you can really use a part that's fun for you with characters you like.
>>
>>384275550
Where's the cheat that makes the gameplay good
>>
>>384275748
The same place the you can find the mod that makes skyrim fun.
>>
>>384275748
Watching the cutscenes on Youtube while you do something else.
>>
>>384275550
I didn't have money for Ether Doubler when I got to Nisan
>>
>>384275979
Honestly debating doing that
>>
I've counted like three different points where you have to reset if you save at the wrong time.
>>
>>384258569

The Omnigears are each tuned to a certain person. Elly's was the one in Shevat.
>>
>>384258675

That's not Chu Chu
>>
>>384276253
Speaking of omnigears it's just great that Citan has one parked in his garage and whips it out when shit starts to go down.
>>
>>384276136
Then turn on turbo mode in the emulator, run the game at 5x speed and just grind until you do.

If you missed it entirely you can get another later towards the end of the game when it's far less useful.
>>
>>384276374
It's almost as great as the time he had a fucking sword but didn't want to use it because killing people with your kung-fu skills =/= killing them with a sword I guess?
>>
>>384274640
Just keep playing for the story I guess, nothing really changes gameplay wise but where you're at, there's a nice change of pace once the gear tournament starts where you get to fight gears in an area battle style fighting game. The story does get darker and crazier later on as you keep playing but there's not much else to the game.
>>
>>384276193
Read this instead
http://whatdoesgodneedwithastarship.com/
>>
>>384276193
You really should. The combat becomes a chore less than halfway through, the dungeons are shit, and there's no replay value. I really don't feel like recommending this in most cases, but there is *nothing* in the game that benefits from playing it. Not even the incidental NPC dialogue is worth it.

Watch it. Listen to the OST on its own later. Maybe read Perfect Works. That's all the fun you're gonna get from Xenogears.
>>
>>384260238

The gameplay is great. It's different from Final Fantasy games so people hate it.
>>
>>384276193
I'd suggest watching a silent playthrough, then reading TheDarkId's Let's Play (it covers literally every piece of dialogue of any worth while riffing on the game), THEN reading
>>384276603
once you actually know the game.

It's worth it to watch just for the music.
>>
>>384275979
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddKF-Qj8spw

Has anyone watched these? There's three parts totaling 18 hours. I think I'm just gonna continue from where I left off and watch this on 2x speed.
>>
>>384276654
It's not really that different, it's basically atb.
>>
>>384260238
It's one of those "great idea we didn't plan out well" situations.

You input combos to use special moves. Problem is there really isn't a limit on this and your specials are better than anything else you can do, so you're going to be using them and watching their cutscenes 100% of the time. When the game is over 80 hours long and the dungeon design is anti-fun, this gets tedious fast
>>
>>384277120
>>384276654
It's a cool framework that regrettably never goes anywhere.

The combo animations are great but after you've seen them all a dozen times they just become another basic attack animation that you pick every turn.
>>
>>384277120
ATB where you're doing Sabin's Suplex every single turn.
>>
>>384274640

>>384276547

The game most definitely does change gameplay wise. As your characters get higher in level and your gears get better equipment you have more and more options at your disposal. The boss fights stay a pretty consistent challenge throughout the game unless you're grinding for levels, but as your options expand the combat gets better and better.
>>
>>384254457
She gets an upgraded form later on in an optional quest that gives her a VERY high chance of getting across the board stats gain on level up.
>>
>>384275339
More like always. A polished turd is still a turd. I don't care about the same cinematic shit with huge budgets and no creativity. I want to play stuff I haven't seen before, even if it's flawed.
>>
>>384276374
>>384276516
https://lparchive.org/Xenogears-(by-The-Dark-Id)/Citan/
>>
>>384274640
It's like an 8 out of ten jrpg vs a 10 out of 10 anime.
>>
>>384276374
Still mad.
It trivialized all of disc 1.
>>
>>384244623
Here's the long and short of it;

The devs have had this massive story in mind spanning hours and hours and traveling all over, but they never EVER get the budget to actually get the ball rolling past the first arc.

Xenogears Disc 1 is like a tasty platter of all kinds of fantastic ideas and well written characters, then Disc 2, the budget instantly dried up and the rest of this massive story had to be wrapped up in a quick and dirty way.

This happened A G A I N with Xenosaga, but this time they got two whole games into the giant story before having to slash three entire sequels off the backend and rush another quick and dirty resolution in Game 3. Though, XS at least had a codex of lore you could optionally dive into if you really wanted.

so basically, the Xeno guys were always insanely overambitious
>>
>>384274640
Kislev is the worst part of the game, and things don't pick back up until the Tower (near the end of disc 1).
>>
>>384273192
Same, I mostly enjoyed it for the gameplay and music.
>>
>>384258448
Fei wasn't a soldier though.
>>
>>384279203
I'm sure in one of his lives he was a soldier or something
>>
File: 7-thelast30.jpg (21KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
7-thelast30.jpg
21KB, 640x480px
https://lparchive.org/Xenogears-%28by-The-Dark-Id%29/Citan/
>>
>>384278707
Doesnt help that they spent a lot of time on unappealing stuff both times.

Saga 1 us LITERALLY an entire story about getting to the start of a story. It's like if Canterbury Tales was just in the tavern. It's nuts. A whole game just to establish a call to action and add a bunch of roadblocks.
>>
>>384244623
I got to part where he goes into a coma and dropped it. It's so god damn boring
>>
>>384279783
Citan did exactly what was needed to save the universe for all time from space god
>>
IT WAS ME /v/! I WAS THE SECOND HALF OF XENOGEARS! IT WAS ALL ME!!!
>>
>>384272941
I haven't, link me
>>
>>384280158
>Citan did exactly what was needed to save the universe for all time from space god
>implying he didn't destroy the machine made by Shion/Allen to counteract the heat death of the universe
>>
>>384268593
Fei's suffering is necessary for his ability reconcile with his ID
>>
>>384244623
>The second disc is literally two of the main characters sitting in a chair while you read walls of text
I guess Disc 2 = Evangelion episodes 25 & 26
>>
>>384244623
You got tricked. I've played Xenogears all the way through as an adult. It plays like exactly what it is: a B-list FF spinoff that literally got rushed out the door unfinished. The platforming aspects and combat gimmicks pale in comparison to Super Mario RPG, a game Square developed several years earlier. The pacing is terrible even before the infamous second disc (at which point, if anything, it actually gets better). The level/world design is as linear and restrictive as anything released during that era.

Yet weebs play it up as some masterpiece because of regurgitated basic concepts of Freud and Jung. If you do any reading beyond the English 1A level you can see how jumbled, messy and intellectually shallow the whole thing is.

It's not a good game.
>>
File: HammerXeno.png (121KB, 250x283px) Image search: [Google]
HammerXeno.png
121KB, 250x283px
Oh sheeeeeeeit, Xenogears thread? What is goin' on my brothas? You mind if I join too?
>>
>>384280962
I just did his boss fight
Does the escape command even work during the part at the end? I was spamming it and nothing was happening.
>>
>>384280962
biggest fag in the series
>>
>>384281108
You should be able to escape from battle once he is about to self destruct. Otherwise, go ham and beat the shit out of him. If you can't get into ID mode you probably won't kill it in time.
>>
>>384281306
I was in ID mode and still couldn't deal enough damage in time, the other two fucks in my party wouldn't hyper.
>>
File: 1411785221554.jpg (488KB, 535x758px) Image search: [Google]
1411785221554.jpg
488KB, 535x758px
Why is there so little Xeno crossover fan art? :(
>>
File: b4f.jpg (24KB, 600x451px) Image search: [Google]
b4f.jpg
24KB, 600x451px
everyone who hates on this game is too young to remember when this was just being put into playstations ...

it's called nostalgia now fuck all of you this was a great game
>>
>>384282830
Cross over? It's the same fuckin series.
>>
>>384279203
As ID he was called an assassin. i don't know why he was called an assassin, he destroyed entire cities. (demon of Elru)
>>
>>384272356
Fuck yes unless Bamco gives up the rights to Monolith Soft
>>
>>384283657
Gears, saga and blade are all seperate universes
>>
>>384272356
that would be a licensing nightmare
>>
>>384273054
Imagine being autistic enough to write off a game that doesn't have gears in it
>>
>>384284051
I thought xenosaga was supposed to be some kinda prequel
>>
>>384246169
>story, lore, and world building
Awesome! Three things that have nothing to do with gameplay... so, it's basically crap to amuse children who lack the appropriate attention span to sit and read a book.
>>
>>384244623
The devs got pulled off the game, along with most of their funding, to finish FFVIII on time.

Final Fantasy VIII killed Xenogears.
>>
>>384285193
XS1-6 (ony 1-3 were made) was a re-imagining of xenogears episode I

it's debatable if they're in the same universe or not due to licensing issues between Namco/square, I don't think Takahashi has ever confirmed they're separate but hasn't said their in the same universe either. Especially with all the real numbers/imaginary numbers/higher and lower domains shit in saga
>>
>>384285651
>The worst Final Fantasy killed Xenogears
Worst timeline.
Thread posts: 234
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.