[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does the game assume that you're gonna fuck something up

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 250px-Mgs3box.jpg (36KB, 250x353px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Mgs3box.jpg
36KB, 250x353px
Does the game assume that you're gonna fuck something up every step of the way when you're starting for your first time, or am I just exceptionally bad?

It took me until the start of Operation Snake Eater till I got a decent feel for what I can or cannot get away with. In the "tutorial mission", I was just a massive clown running around. Kind of broke the immersion of supposedly being some super soldier on a high-class stealth mission.
>>
>>384229119
Did you skip straight to 3 without playing the previous games first?
>>
>>384229315
No, I played 1 and 2. 2 quite recently.

It just took me a while to get used to not having cones of vision, and understanding how CQC works. I guess I should say that I was deliberately trying out as many things as I could to learn the game, but even then I'd often get detected by a guard I didn't see.

It happens to me less and less as I keep going, I just notice a more significant learning curve with 3 than there was with 1 and 2.
>>
>>384229119
>Kind of broke the immersion of supposedly being some super soldier on a high-class stealth mission.
wouldn't it be the case that playing poorly in any game where you take the role of a highly skilled character breaks immersion? is there a way you to not break that immersion without taking control away from the player? can you reasonably blame the game for your shortcomings?
>>
>>384230072
I am not blaming the game, I think I said quite clearly that I was just fucking up due to being bad at the game in the first hour.

It's a testament to the game's design that the player has access to all the "tricks" from the very beginning, but I personally found it impossible to play through the tutorial mission optimally on my first playthrough, first try. So I play, fuck up a bunch, and then I get a cutscene of Snake expertly dispatching an Ocelot commando and he just didn't seem like the same character to me.

If the game was made today, or by someone else, they would most likely restrict the player somehow, railroad them so that there is next to no chance that they will fuck up significantly in the tutorial. Most people here would probably hate that, but I think that an argument can be made for that kind of directing.
>>
Snake Eater was really the first MGS game where you could sort of get away with going in all guns blazing if you wanted to.

It doesn't work all the time, like when you have to dress up as the scientist and most of the main Russian base, but the game doesn't punish you as harshly as you'd think if you want to just stand up and run around blasting the fuck out of all the soldiers instead of being sneaky.
>>
>>384230825
I guess that's my reflex from MGS1 and 2, where if I got spotted by a bunch of dudes and I didn't have a quick and reliable way to get away from them, I'd just let them kill me and stealth more carefully the second time around.

In 3, the shootout after meeting Eva made me realize that it's not unfeasible to just shoot my way through, and I could have gotten away with more in the tutorial.
>>
Are you play subsistence or the original in the op pic? Subsistence is easier cause you can see what you're doing.
>>
>>384231005
Snake Eater HD, but it allows me to switch between the top-down view and the third person perspective. I don't know if it's a Subsistence feature or/if it works differently, but yeah I feel like I can get a decent look around.
>>
>>384231175
Yes, that is the correct version
>>
Crawling is really the main gameplay mechanic of this game. If you stay down and watch their patrol routes you can usually take guys out with the tranq gun or CQC when their back is turned. Running will fuck you up so you need to use the d-pad to move slowly with what they call stalking.
>>
>>384231623
>d-pad
Neat, I had no idea. Stalking is really sensitive on the analog stick, so this helps.
I also need to use the tranq gun more.
>>
>>384231885
>stalking is really sensitive on the analog stick
strange, i did not have this problem.
>>
>>384229548
>not having cones of vision
Huh? You mean not having the Soliton in available?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.