[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the Zodiac age really easier than the original ? I really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 14

File: FFXII-TZA-Logo.jpg (109KB, 1280x590px) Image search: [Google]
FFXII-TZA-Logo.jpg
109KB, 1280x590px
Is the Zodiac age really easier than the original ?

I really enjoyed the high difficulty of FF 12 back in the days (well at least when you dont know all the tricks and subtlety of gameplay)

In the original (im european so I didnt play the zodiac international) you had to die a lot when trying to find the good strats, wich was frustrating and pleasing at the same time, I wouldnt like the game being too easy
>>
>Dude what if we made literally half the cast be inconsequential to the story
>Dude what if we made multiple cutscenes where the main character has no idea what's going on and just stands in the background while people who matter speak
>Dude what if we made a character who's literally just a random girl off the street with no important qualities outside of an extremely large ass
>Dude what if we made a character with an interesting and nuanced backstory and then only let the player use him in one dungeon, at the end of which he dies
>Dude what if we made a villain who has zero emotional connection to the heroes and doesn't even meet them until the last ten minutes
>Dude what if we took an established setting with a million interesting species and then only included humans and bunny humans as playable characters
>Dude what if we gave the narrator a comical Apu accent
>Dude what if we made a complicated political plot and then ruined it by turning it into standard ancient god shenanigans halfway through
>Dude what if we made a plot where the heroes have almost no impact on what happens until 95% of the way through the story, and they spend their time tromping from one ancient temple to the next
>Dude what if we took everything 100% seriously and had zero levity outside of Balthier and Cid
>Dude what if we wrote all of the dialogue to sound like a Renaissance Fair
>Dude what if we we had no overworld and all travel was handled by a menu or floating teleport crystals
>Dude what if we made a battle system where you set everything up in advance so that you don't actually play the game
>Dude what if we made a level-up system where all of the characters become literally identical in function
>Dude what if we made summons useless except for opening doors
>Dude what if we put all of the interesting and unique content in sidequests
>Dude what if instead of having fun side games like the motorcycle chase and Triple Triad we had nothing
>Dude what if we had really shitty music
>>
>>384216872
and that's how final fantasy tactics was made
>>
>>384216694
Yes and no.
The game is easier if you choose to use the dual job feature, which as the name implies lets you have two jobs for each character.

If you ignore that however and have some fucking restraint (ain't hard to do, I've not taken any dual jobs on my characters at all), then the difficulty is just the same as you remember it.
That's the only change that will have made the game 'easier'.
>>
Reminder that if you intend to use Shikari as a second job and want to use ninja swords, do NOT waste your quickening panels until you get it.

All 4 Ninja sword licenses are locked behind individual quickening panels, meaning even if you were to exclusively use your quickenings on these (recommended since no other job has 'crucial' licenses behind quickenings), you still have to let go of at least one Ninja sword license.
>>
>>384219576
Which ninja sword license should I skip?
>>
>>384219576
That's not how it works. Opening a quickening on your first board opens the same one on the second board. You just need to make sure one of the quickenings you buy is the 125 lp one.
>>
>>384220359
If you don't plan on using Ninja swords early: Ninja Swords 1

If you want to use the most ninja swords: Orochi

Orochi is late-game but then there's the license that gives you Yagyu Darkblade and Orochi N (now renamed to some hindu calendar name)
>>
File: 1385542353754.png (215KB, 487x463px) Image search: [Google]
1385542353754.png
215KB, 487x463px
>>384220359

I think you shouldn't bother with any of them and instead get the esper panel to unlock guns and make your character a gunja.
>>
>>384220359
Either 2 or 3. Basically all the ninja swords from 2-4 become accessible at the same time, so you might as well just jump to the best ones at that point. But you want 1 so that you can use the Ashura as soon as you get it, which is slightly earlier than the rest,
>>
>>384220774
>Shemhazai unlocks Guns 5/6

hahah
>>
So what do you guys think of this update of a classic?

Love it? Hate it?
>>
>>384221402
Remastered OST is good instead of an abomination like X. Double jobs is cool. No effect capacity is great.

bit of a step back graphically (at least potentially) compared to an emulated PS2 and the letterbox seems superfluous.

I give it 8/10
>>
File: 1494371765263.png (1MB, 782x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1494371765263.png
1MB, 782x1200px
>>384221678
What's effect capacity? Is this like spell queue?
>>
>>384223039
Basically. Effect Capacity limits how much shit can go on at once. It has a limit of 8. Small spells are 1/2, while ones like Holy, Flare, Scathe and Ardor are 8, and you'll be stuck waiting to actually cast them if anyone else is casting anything else.

It was in place on the PS2 to keep it from blowing up but removed on the PS4 version, so go ham with Holy.
>>
>>384223152
Oh wow. I may have to pick this up sooner rather than later. This and two jobs were all I had hoped for out of this port, but I didn't think they'd actually do it.
>>
>>384221402

I'm a vanilla version vet with hundreds of hours poured into that version. So far I'm loving it. Really nice to have an upgraded OST. I still love the graphics, because this game has some of the best art direction in a game to date. I'm a little mixed about the job system - could have been implemented a little better IMO, or I would have taken a re-balanced version of vanilla. I liked having the freedom to build my characters how I wanted, and I did in fact equip my characters to reflect their 'jobs' in my party. Love trial mode and hoping for some interesting DLC down the road. I give it a solid 8-9/10.
>>
There is just one thing I want to know about FFXII.
How old is Fran?
>>
>>384223697
Grow up Vaan.
>>
File: 2vcbbqg.jpg (120KB, 500x624px) Image search: [Google]
2vcbbqg.jpg
120KB, 500x624px
Any feel like rating these job combos? I've literally not started the game because I wanted to think of a combo that used all twelve.

Vaan: Shikari/RedMage
Ashe: BlackMage/Archer
Balthier: Bushi/Uhlan
Fran: WhiteMage/Machinist
Basch: Monk/Foebreaker
Penelo: Knight/TimeMage

I'm not going for something completely optimized (in case it's not evident by Penelo being a fucking Knight) but I wanted combos that were effective while the animations were good on that character. I don't want to play through the game with something like Penelo on Machinist where it looks like the gun will knock her over on recoil or Basch with his weird spear animation.
>>
>>384223697
Surprisingly rude
>>
>>384223968
Penelo makes a solid knight because she has an inherently good magic score and equipment covers her physical stats. Ultimately, you can get through the game with anything, and it's not exactly like the jobs synergize especially well.

I'd probably be more inclined to see something like Bushi/Red or Black mage, Shikari/Archer, and I'd move Monk/Breaker off of Basch to someone else since he has poor magic and vitality scores, which may not matter to you if you won't give him white magic or axes.

Just keep in mind that armor, especially heavy or magic, dictate your dps significantly, and try not to double up multiple anti air classes on one character if they're not getting a magic class (machinist, monk, archer). I say all this as someone who played vanilla IZJS so this is just theorycrafting and experience with bad choices like Knight Basch.
>>
>>384217110
>gimping yourself

Fag
>>
File: 1481798614790.jpg (3MB, 2121x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1481798614790.jpg
3MB, 2121x3000px
>>384223968
WhiteMage/Machinist is good because it keeps your white mage away from the action and you can shoot stuff when you're not healing.

Knight/TimeMage is good. I don't know about the others.
>>
>>384224986
>Poles and spears can hit flying enemies without telekinesis

not sure why i didn't realize this.
>>
>>384224986
I could move Monk/Breaker to Vaan and he'd still look good with his pole animations. But then I'd be left with Shikari/RedMage with no idea who to put it on. I 100% want Penelo as Knight/TimeMage and Balthier as either my Shikari or Bushi (IZJS he was my White Mage). I could maybe do Shikari/Archer and make Ashe BlackMage/RedMage but would Shikari/Archer be a good idea?
>>
File: 1497772769506.jpg (159KB, 800x1131px) Image search: [Google]
1497772769506.jpg
159KB, 800x1131px
rate my combi

vaan foebreaker/machinist
penelo monk/blackmage
balthier shikari/whitemage
fran uhlan/timebattlemage
ashe red mage/archer
basch bushi/knight
>>
>>384216694
I haven't played this one, but the 'International' Zodiac Job System release for PS2 was seriously easy mode. You got the good stuff way too soon and it totally removes any game difficulty. I can only assume the same of the new remake.
>>
>>384225239
Poles isn't necessarily intuitive with the animation being the way it is, at least as I remember it for Balthier, so I'll give you half a point. There's a little guide in game that tells you about neat properties and the general idea for each weapon types damage formula somewhere in the menu iirc.
>>
>>384225420
The idea behind Shikari/Archer is that the character will do good combo attack dps 90% of the time, but if you run into a flier, shoot em. Shikari's a good class, and Archer is mediocre at best with it's most interesting trait being the ability to get white magic, which would best be used by Vaan or Ashe for their high magic (and everything else). Penelo too, but not suggesting her because it's what you want. Don't do Black/Red, that's way to redundant.
Knight/Time
Shikari/Archer
Bushi/Black or Red
Monk/Breaker
White/Gun
Uhlan/Black or Red

Although I don't really like putting Uhlan and a magic class together. Maybe switch Monk and Uhlan? I'd probably make Balthier the Shikari and Basch the White mage with this set up. Fran has the best VIT by a little bit if axes from breaker sounds appealing. Of course, you don't have to min max this hard, I'm just having fun thinking about it
>>
reee stop using dualclasses you plebs
>>
>>384226042
Problem with Uhlan/Breaker, as you suggested being a possible switch, is that Uhlan actually gets a couple of breaks.
>>
>>384226042
I like the way some of the jobs you mentioned came together. Penelo's out of the way with Knight/TimeMage and I think I'll still put Fran on Whm/Machinist. Uhlan and a mage did seem weird but what about this combo.

Balthier: Shikari/Uhlan
Basch: Bushi/Breaker
Ashe: BlackMage/Monk
Vaan: Archer/RedMage.

I wanted Balthier as an attacker this time around so Uhlan will take care of his flyer problem. I was debating putting Bushi/Breaker on someone besides Basch but I really don't like Ashe or Fran's attack animations with Katana.
>>
>>384226507
This set up actually sounds pretty fun and versatile, I'd go with this. Red Mage is probably the biggest wrench in this whole dual job system since it's so versatile. I don't think any job set up will get around it. If I were you, I'd make Red Vaan's first job, it's absurdly good, especially early game. Bushi will be fine on Basch since the class gets magic armor iirc, so it's like giving him a class like Knight where he won't use the class to its fullest.
>>
>>384226774
so it's not* like giving him.. my bad
>>
>Those first glimpses of Ashe post timeskip/Dalmasca invasion

Damn, Im hyped. When do you recruit her? Just got Balthier and Fran.
>>
>>384226042
If you're really interested in minmaxing than I'm sorry, but you're wrong about almost everything in that post.

Shikari/Archer is terrible because both classes basically give you the same thing, they're almost completely redundant.

Black Mage/Red Mage is the single most damaging caster because Ardor +Oil+Flame Staff is the strongest possible spell.

I'm only calling you out because you specifically said you were interested in minmaxing. Read this: https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/191202-final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age/75477310 and then follow the link to the spreadsheet and study that for a while.
>>
>>384226898
I can hardly be upset about being corrected, especially anonymously. Never thought that people would be on top of this kind of stuff already, but I'm not surprised. I am interested, so I'm gonna give it a look. Thanks for the heads up.
>>
>>384227172
Well. Thank you for the reasonable response. This game has a hilarious amount of depth to the character building, so have fun.
>>
In retrospect, XII was decent compared to the later games
>>
How does my setup look?

Vaan: Time Mage/Uhlan
Basch: Knight/Bushi
Balthier: Foebreaker/Shikari
Penelo: Black Mage/Monk
Ashe: Red Mage/Archer
Fran: White Mage/Machinist

Did I do good or bad?
>>
ITT:We guess Fran's age
>>
>>384229092
Surprisingly rude.
>>
>>384228508
XIII was too linear
XV was too open
XII found the perfect balance. It's non-linear without feeling empty and shallow. Exploration and side-content is actually rewarding and satisfying and the world is really well designed.
>>
staying true to the MMO nature of the game, the whole DPS-tank-healer setup is too powerful

Have Vaan as DPS, Basch as Tank, and Ashe as healer/secondary DPS

Cast decoy on Basch with Ashe and set up your gambits so any time Basch's health falls below 50% you heal him

I've barely had to lift a finger to change the tactics
>>
>>384219576
yeah and the ninja swords are pointless except the one that has a high instant death rate, which even then is only marginally useful since you can dismantle every enemy in the game effortlessly with most class set ups anyway

on top of that, the shikari largely SUCKS DICK outside of that one fucking weapon they get, which makes it a gimmick class with almost no use
>>
>>384216694
Don't go past level 60 for postgame stuff I guess.
>>
>>384230057
>yeah and the ninja swords are pointless

you take that back fucker
>>
Vaan: Shikari / Time Battlemage
Penelo: White Mage / Uhlan
Balthier: Machinist / Foebreaker
Fran: Archer / Black Mage
Basch: Knight / Monk
Ashe: Red Battlemage / Bushi

Rate my setup
>>
Started over because I wasnt happy with loading all 4 of the magic classes on just Ashe (BLM/RM) and Panelo(WHM/TBM) and I had a better idea of how I wanted me characters.

This my new setup, it already went a bit smoother before I get the second jobs, I think these will serve me well since I must have all classes in this play through.
>>
PC FF 12 WHEN FAGGETS?
>>
>>384232340
Judging from X/X-2 HD, I assume 1-2 years
>>
What classes pair well with knight and bushi, other than knight and bushi?
>>
Character builds tend to be quite restrictive and you're locked into one (with the second one coming after you beat Belias), so you could go for ages without a proper Mage if you didn't realise this. As such it actually forces you to change characters depending on the situation depending on who you've assigned to do what. I'm up to the second act and Vaan still doesn't know any Magic whatsoever. I feel like they made the game substantially easier to accommodate this, though and the 4XSpeed perk makes grinding even faster to the point where even though most of my characters flat out don't have Magic it's still not even remotely a challenge due to their damage output. Maybe I'm older and smarter, I dunno but the only boss I've had even the slightest problem with is fucking Firemane of all things and I was stuck in the Tomb of Raithwall for god knows how long years ago because of Vossler. I think they did it so you wouldn't just pick Vaan, Basch and Ashe for the whole game like any sane person in the original game did. I'm doing a lore friendly build as well so it's interesting to have to switch up the characters, though frustrating when I learn that certain characters can't use certain weapons, Technicks and Magic.

Also is it just me or are there tons of little graphical glitches? Also why is the text so layman? The redone soundtrack also is pretty awful. I tried to have it on to start with but I just couldn't take it after about an hour or so.

I'm also a bit annoyed that they got rid of the Sky Pirate's Den. I know it's literally just been converted to the trophy list but it still would have been nice to at least put in in there as a physical representation. Seems odd to just shaft it like that.
>>
>>384216872
>>Dude what if we made a level-up system where all of the characters become literally identical in function
All of that I can agree with except in Zodiac Age the job system ensures that each character functions differently so you have to use them all.
>>
I only played IZJS, but that was a far easier game than vanilla. That is because you get the same amount of license points from enemies, but you only have something like one third of the licenses available for every job. You had to actually try to fill up your whole license board in vanilla, but it fills out naturally in IZJS.

In vanilla you had to use very specific setups to be able to beat the optional Demon gate encounter, but you can beat it fairly easily with the zodiac job system because you deal more damage in general.
>>
>>384226894
Pretty much immediately after you advance the story once after leaving the dungeon you are currently in. You'll have your entire party assembled permanently after the next dungeon.
>>
>>384216872
>shit music
Shit taste
>>
>>384229876
Stop. There is no MMO nature of the game. Having a designated 'tank' is idiotic. The point of tank classes in MMOs is so that the healer can focus mostly on a single target, when healing is automated (like with gambits in this game very obviously designed for a single player) spreading the damage around multiple characters is the ideal strategy. Your tactics are not that clever and your very concept of how the game is designed is flawed. Stop believing the 'offline MMO' meme now.
>>
>>384235214
Ah yeah, that makes sense. So it's essentially more concentrated and easier to catch up whereas they were so fucking huge for each character originally it took ages to get any substantial buffs.
>>
>>384233654
Bushi and knight.
>>
>>384235719
>Tactics are not that clever
>Is breezing through the game otherwise
The only thing he's wrong about is that Vaan should be your tank instead of CAPTAIN BASCH FON RONSENBERG OF DALMASCA.
>>
>Ask a harmless little question about someone's age
>Everyone gets pissed off at you
What was in the wrong here?
>>
>>384235854
You'll breeze through the game regardless of your setup m8. Doesn't make it clever to try to force a game to play like an MMO when it totally lacks the mechanics that would make that playstyle neccesary.
>>
>>384235916
It's a Japanese thing. You just don't ask a women her age. I don't understand why. I got slapped for it once.
>>
>>384235996
>It's a Japanese thing
It's a woman thing, mate.
>>
>>384236190
Yeah, nah. Asking someone's age is perfectly normal and I've always gotten a straight answer out of anyone who's not both Japanese and a woman.
>>
>>384223697
Nice one Vaan
>>
>>384235916
Women's fertility decreases significantly very fast. Both genders are defined by their ability to procreate when you boil it down. Less fertile = less of a woman.
>>384235996
Women in most cultures are like that.
>>384236296
Maybe they won't show it your face, but you are pretty much questioning their femininity. Women in their absolute prime won't give a shit if you ask, but try asking a women between 25-45 how old they are. Just by asking them, you are reminding them that they are not in their prime anymore, men keep paying them less attention and it's only going to get worse from here on.
>>
File: Great_Crystal_Map.jpg (44KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
Great_Crystal_Map.jpg
44KB, 512x448px
fuck this
>>
File: 46722.png (84KB, 1011x1887px) Image search: [Google]
46722.png
84KB, 1011x1887px
>>384237220
I agree, this might help though.
>>
having never played XII this is my first taste of it period and gotta say im loving it, why was it apparently hated on release?

One thing im loving a lot is the difficulty and how lots of enemies use status effects so items actually have a use for once, this must be considered one of the harder mainline games yeah?
>>
What classes go well with archer?
>>
>>384237504
"Game plays itself".
The usual "doesn't feel like a Final Fantasy".
People were tired of playing PS2 and the next console generation had pretty much just started.
People didn't "get" the story and it wasn't exciting enough for the new "fans".
>>
>>384237504
It's actually a bit easier than the original version.
>>
>>384216872
fpbp
>>
>>384216872
>Dude what if we had really shitty music
ok stopped reading there
>>
File: Zodiark-ffxii-battle.png (382KB, 638x719px) Image search: [Google]
Zodiark-ffxii-battle.png
382KB, 638x719px
>Casts Darkja
>>
>>384239496
>black mask, demon shield, argyle armlet, and bone equipment stand in your path
>>
http://www.dualshockers.com/final-fantasy-xii-zodiac-age-tops-uk-sales-chart/
>The 28th week of the UK sales charts are in, and at the top is Square Enix’s PS4 remaster Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, which has prevented Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy from pulling a three-peat.
>>
Is there a list for all the enemies that were nerfed?
>>
>>384237603
Red Mage and any heavy armor job
>>
>>384239981
Doesn't Darkja have an instant KO chance regardless of Dark immunity? Fairly sure I went in there with Black Masks and I still got KO'ed from it from time to time.
>>
>>384229092
ITT: We guess what Fran's ass smells like
>>
File: 1498673261815.jpg (65KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
1498673261815.jpg
65KB, 400x388px
Who /Vaan, Ashe & Balthier/ here ?
>>
File: 1499752229691.jpg (454KB, 943x490px) Image search: [Google]
1499752229691.jpg
454KB, 943x490px
>>384241186
My niggah
>>
>>384240845
Carrots
>>
The game feels much easier to me, maybe because I'm older. Judge Ghis obliterated me on PS2 but wasn't a challenge this time. The balance of the license progression feels skewed to make early game simpler.
>>
>>384241186
>Vaan
>>
>>384239175
Kek
>>
>>384241186
>not /Balthier, Fran & Basch/
>>
File: 1490325969680.png (692KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
1490325969680.png
692KB, 500x750px
>>384241452
S I P B O Y S
I
P
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.