[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dearest /v/, I'm in the market for the kind of game where

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 7

Dearest /v/,

I'm in the market for the kind of game where I can do the following:
-Build a settlement from scratch:gathering resources, farming crops, livestock, satisfying the needs of my villagers.
-Building walls and training villagers to protect the settlement from various dangers and threats that get progressively more dangerous as my settlement advances.
-Seasonal/weather effects would be nice.

I've tried: Settlers, Dwarf Fortress, Dawn of Discovery, Banished, and Terraria & Minecraft (though, they only barely apply.)

Could you give me some suggestions? Please and thank you?
>>
>>384198876
You might want to check out "Rise to Ruin" on steam. It's early access, but the developer is pretty active. It seems pretty close to what you want.
>>
>>384198876
rimworld might be of interest to you, it has pretty much everything that you're looking for
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (178KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
178KB, 1920x1080px
Have also tried Oxygen Not Included, but it was more of an ant farm and less of a cozy colony.
>>
>>384199196
>early access
>>384199223
>early access
>>384201432
>early access

throw money away for broken and forever incomplete games!
may as well be open survival with all the EA titles available
>>
>>384198876
The City Building games series — Pharaoh, Zeus, Emperor, Caesar, Children of the Nile — perfectly encompass virtually all of your criteria, though you will need to micromanage the defense of your town.

Other games I would recommend include Anno series (though the futuristic ones aren't as "personal" as the others), Black and White 1 and maybe 2, Tropico series, and Imperivm Romanvm.
>>
pirate rimworld
>>
>>384202625
Are the non-futuristic Anno games on steam? I only see two that aren't rated really well.
>>
>>384203961
If you're american, try looking for Dawn of Discovery, it's Anno 1404.
>>
>>384203961
You can get all of the historical ones from GoG. 1404 is on Steam as Dawn of Discovery
>>
File: GB Sob.png (877KB, 1016x497px) Image search: [Google]
GB Sob.png
877KB, 1016x497px
>>384203961
>>384204082
Thanks anons.

If you have any more, keep sharing. I've been playing Civ 5 for ages and tried Civ 6 just recently. It's fun, but I just want something a little bit different to make things feel fresh.
>>
>>384199196
>>384199223
>>384203487
These low-effort indie games look like they'd be dull after 5 minutes.
>>
ZEUS

probably the comfiest city builder ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXxLubpsCOc
>>
>>384204735
you have nothing to lose but time
rimworld is pretty good but nowhere as deep as DF
>>
>>384198876
Have you played the Cultures games?
>>
File: Settlers6.jpg (2MB, 1920x2160px) Image search: [Google]
Settlers6.jpg
2MB, 1920x2160px
>>384198876

Life is Feudal: Forest Village ticks most of those boxes well.

It's a blatant rip off of Banished, but it does everything with more depth and is far more organic allowing great terraforming, building placement etc

You could also check out Settlers 6 (my personal favourite, grab the GOG version as it has fixes no other version does) or the Cultures Series.
>>
>>384198876
I'd dig a Bannerlord mod like this.
>>
>>384206720
I played that game way too god damn much. Shame they changed the formula with 7.
>>
>>384202127
Pretty sure Oxygen Not Included was released and works fine.
>>
>>384206891

Yeah 7 went too "table top" abstract RTS...almost Puzzle Game for my liking, I much prefer the simulation/traditional RTS take of Settlers 6, if it had better combat it'd be fucking perfect.
>>
>>384206720
>Settlers 6

I actually have Settlers 6 and have thoroughly played the shit out of it and enjoyed it, but:
The combat is dog shit and the game's environment is really 'static' barring, of course, the weather.
>>
>>384206720
As someone who loves this genre and has 400 hours on Banished, Forest Village is pretty shit right now. Unless they change some massive fucking issues with it, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
>every building in the game has an effective range
>almost all of them are invisible
>nothing in the game tells you this
>only fix is with a furry's mod that lets you show and marginally raise the ranges
That doesn't sound so bad but consider that you now have an invisible leash that will
>stop villagers from getting food from two blocks away
>cause laborers to refuse to gather materials too far from warehouses
>cause builders to refuse to build anything if the game randomly decides to set the pops farthest from the building as the builders
>generally fuck up every single profession in the game except caravaneers
At no point will the game alert you to any of these issues or explain what is happening. Half your village will just starve to death because they don't want to walk a litte bit.
That's not even the only issue
>stats are hidden so you have no way of knowing if your pops are not workig due to low happiness, forcing you to dump joy production everywhere (because no one will visit a tavern if it's ten feet away)
>children do nothing, students only study; neither will collect materials for household needs, which forces workers to abandon jobs to do it, which lowers resources
>houses must be topped off if possible, which is prioritized above all other tasks, reducing productivity even more
>villagers will eat at random intervals starting at about 80% full on their hunger; add this to the last two problems and your workers will cut down one tree, go home to eat, collect food, collect firewood, collect food for the child who just ate, eat, collect food, go back to cut one tree, go home to get warm, etc
>terraforming sucks completely
I'm running out of space for all this shit, so just wait for it to not suck dick before you waste money on it.
>>
>>384208419
Thanks for saving me a few bucks — I was pretty close to grabbing this.
>>
>>384208818
If you're desperate for something to try, pirate it. The early game can be pretty nice with its aesthetics, but after you hit about 50 to 60 population, it gets retarded.
I'm really hoping they fix it because beneath all the trash mechanics is a genuinely fun foundation.
>>
>>384204735
Rimworld is the only early access game that I would ever recommend to anyone. I despise early access shit but Rimworld is amazing. I have easily put several hundred hours in to it.
>>
>>384202127
Rimworld is basically a complete game that gets a full system + content update every couple months.

The dev is based.
>>
Culture 2 is exactly what you want
>>
>>384210023

>The dev is based.

The dev is a lying, thieving, hack.
>>
>>384210575
How so
>>
Black & White
>>
>>384210023

>complete game
>dorf fort clone with no z-levels
>>
>>384210829
>one game does something different from another
>therefore it can never be considered a complete game
You are this retarded.
>>
>>384210963

"mega blocks are just as good as the lego they're trying to be" t. (You)
>>
>>384210575
Please elaborate. I don't own it, but I've played my sisters copy enough that I'm considering breaking my "no early-access shit" rule.

I haven't heard anything about lies or theft and I've enjoyed it so far....am I missing something?
>>
>>384210829
1: dorf fort is not a complete game either
2: there was a time dorf fort didn't have z-levels either. It was still worth playing it. The most famous DF thing is fucking boatmurdered, and that was back when it didn't have z-levels

Comparing any game with dorf fort is unfair, since dorf fort has been in development for far longer than any game on earth.
>>
>>384212212
Probably talking about the sprites and how similar they are to Prison Architect's
>>
Does RimWorld have modding? Would play if I had some fantasy reskin.
>>
>>384212371
http://steamcommunity.com/app/294100/workshop/

Does it even
>>
>>384212371
yeah, i can confirm.
>>
>>384198876
Factorio might be what you are looking for although its a solo thing unless you bring friends
>>
>>384212260

>Probably talking about the sprites and how similar they are to Prison Architect's

Or the fact that the game was originally called Starship Architect because he's that much of an unoriginal hack.

Dude literally ripped EVERYTHING off, updates have been extremely slow over the last four years.

The man is the living embodiment of fucking everything wrong with the indie scene.
>>
>>384212973
>its a solo thing unless you bring friends
Wow.
>>
>>384198876
You can pirate stonehearth. Don't buy it since it's still years off from completion, and will probably never be done.
>>
>>384213063
as in there wont be villager or anything like that dumdum
>>
>>384213009
Why is this so upsetting to you? The Rimworld dev asked the Prison Architect dev if he could us similar sprites and the PA dev said it was ok. Beyond that, the two games are nothing alike. What about this makes him the living embodiment of everything wrong in the indie scene?
>>
>>384204735
As alot of other have said, Rimworld is actually a good EA game.
If will get boring after about 40 hours due to raid difficulty spiking and giving you pretty good gear midgame that you can ride out onto endgame with, but when you add mods, it gets better. I would highly recommend the SK modpack if you ever get bored of vanilla.
>>
>>384213508

Not that guy, but, to be fair, Rimworld's character art is easily its weakest point.

It's extremely ugly and everything else has been updated to the point it doesn't look fitting any more.
>>
Try "Haven & Hearth".
>>
>>384213790
I don't really care for the character art much either, but to make the dev out to be Satan incarnate over a stylistic choice is ridiculous bordering on insanity.
>>
>>384213903
Don't subject him to that amusing torture.
>>
>>384213985

I mean, the reason characters are so ugly is entirely laziness of the dev's part. So, I kinda get it, but, yeah, bit much.
>>
>>384214143
Its a good game.
>>
>>384198876
It won't be out for a while yet but one thing you should keep an eye on is Ancient Cities.
>>
>>384213508

>The Rimworld dev asked the Prison Architect dev if he could us similar sprites and the PA dev said it was ok.

No he didn't, the issue was raised long after he'd already fucking done it, Introversion could have fucking buried him legally.

>Why is this so upsetting to you?

Because i'm an adult?

Seriously if you want to be a child and dismiss his dodgy as fuck, immoral and creatively bankrupt business endeavors because "it's fun", go right a head, but the guy is still slimey as fuck and deserving of absolutely no respect or support.
>>
>>384214207
Tynan has flat out said that he's not an artist, he's not good at that. So when he find something that he likes to replace it, the sprites will be replaced. It's just not a high priority atm for him, making the game more fun is.
>>
File: rimworld.png (129KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
rimworld.png
129KB, 960x540px
I've been having a lot of fun with Rimworld.
>>
Hearthlands scratched my most recent itch for comfy. You can mostly control the pace of the difficulty, though, by just not expanding all that much.
>>
>>384214425
>No he didn't, the issue was raised long after he'd already fucking done it, Introversion could have fucking buried him legally.

One of Tynan's responses to the whole debacle; "I've talked with the original Prison Architect artist, Ryan Sumo, and he's fully supportive of RimWorld."
So no, nothing of the sort would ever come over him using PA as inspiration for the artstyle.
>>
File: 1497247471982.png (274KB, 553x515px) Image search: [Google]
1497247471982.png
274KB, 553x515px
>>384198876
Age of empires kinda does that.
>>
File: 13[1].jpg (306KB, 1000x600px) Image search: [Google]
13[1].jpg
306KB, 1000x600px
>>384214225
>It won't be out for a while yet but one thing you should keep an eye on is Ancient Cities.

This looks fantastic- I'll be really interested to see if they fuck it up or not.
Their kickstarter site says it'll be released December 2018, though, so you weren't fucking kidding.
>>
>>384214425
>Because i'm an adult?
Sure as fuck doesn't sound like it. You're going to to full on autistic screeching mode because you think two games are too similar. Literally no one cares about this but you. The PA dev is totally supportive of Rimworld having a similar style.
>>
>>384214947

WE WUZ
>>
>>384214784

Read my post again you idiot.

He talked about it with them AFTER he'd done it, not prior, they COULD have legally buried him, but they didn't.

Doesn't make what he did any less abhorrent.
>>
>>384215153
You might want to calm down before you pop a blood vessel, my dude. PA devs and Rimworld Devs are fine with it.
>>
>>384214863
empire earth does it better
>>
>>384214425
>Because i'm an adult?
you whine like a toddler though
>>
>>384198876
Black and White 1 and 2
>>
>>384214947
i have a feeling they didn't wall up with wood a bunch of primitive grass huts...
>>
>>384215304
first time i hear about it, is it good?
>>
>>384214863
This. How the fuck has nobody said AoE yet? This is everything OP described and more, and the best of its kind
>>
>>384198876
Pharaoh
>>
>>384198876
AoE2 retard
>>
I used to do most of what you said in Empire Earth 2
>>
>>384215297

>PA devs and Rimworld Devs are fine with it.

Doesn't mean I, or anyone else has to be.

>>384215321

And you consume like a mindless child.
>>
>>384215450
well it share many gameplay elements with AOE until you hit late early game
i highly recommend playing all the campaigns but im convinced online is dead, also stay the fuck away from anything but the original and expansion
>>
Eh fuck whatever you want, I recommend you play Brigador.
>>
>>384210023
>Complete game
Let's not be crazy here anon. You can mod it into something approximating a complete game but vanilla is left with a lot of shit like no windows, incredibly shallow interaction with other factions, super shitty world travel/interaction, etc etc etc.
>>
>>384213009
>ripped EVERYTHING off
>it's a completely different kind of game over prison architect
what did anon mean by this?
>>
>>384215652
>EE2
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
take your forecast stations then make like a tree
>>
>>384215932

Because thieves only steal from one place, right?
>>
This is a pretty shitty city builder thread, famtachi.
>>
>>384198876
If there's a game about necromancer town building,
would u guys play it?
how would u like it to be??
just normal town building but with necromancer themes?
or one where u raid other towns to gain dead bodies to resurrect with?
or any other idea?
>>
What as your issue with Dwarf Fortress?
>>
>>384215125
CELTS
>>
>>384216246
keep moving goalposts fag
your autistic screeches over something that the very developer of the game your trying to defend doesn't give a fuck will never change anything.
>>
>>384216679
>If there's a game about necromancer
>would u guys play it?
yes
>>
>>384216679
Do the expectation flip where a necromancer society is actually functional and productive instead of evil skeleton wizards.

People consigning their bodies to be used as labour after death and such.
>>
>>384217609

>shifting goal posts

Says the faggot shifting goal posts?
>>
Guys did you see how the new call of duty totally ripped off using guns to shoot soldiers in a world war from battlefield. It even uses very similiar graphics
>>
>>384217981

Congrats on proving my point that creative bankruptcy just dilutes and slowly ruins the industry as everything just becomes a clone of everything else.
>>
>>384218726
How many prison management games are there again?
>>
>>384213009
>Dude literally ripped EVERYTHING off
But it's far more of a dwarf fortress ripoff than a Prison Architect one. You're retarded.
>updates have been extremely slow over the last four years.
They've been steady and pretty heavy in content each update. One of the best update schedules out there.
>>
>>384219157
Prison architect, and I think thats about it
>>
>waahhh this game is similiar to this other game I like
>doesn't play said game instead of crying about it being similiar to something he likes
>>
>>384198876
I have been wanting that same fix, Rimworld was the closest i got. I was very critical of it to begin with, but in the end it really hooked me despite the shit gfx and other issues. Once you learn the tricks to survive it's a great game.

You'll either hate it or love it.
>>
>>384220084

>They've been steady and pretty heavy in content each update.

LOL no they fucking haven't been, there was almost a year where NOTHING happened.
>>
>>384221993
But that's wrong.
Please point to where that happened.
>>
>>384204735
>>384198876
Rimworld is definitely what you are after, play through the original game(you can edit the scenario however you like) and then mod the shit out of it, should last about 100 hours or more
>>
>>384222484
Once you get bored of Rimworld, try Dwarf Fortress again because it has a lot more to offer even if it is less streamlined.
>>
>>384215470
We assumed that OP has already played his share of AoE as much as the rest of us.
>>
Northgard?
Thread posts: 101
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.