[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is something wrong with Final Fantasy V? People constantly talk

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 7

File: final-fantasy-v-1-600x600.jpg (107KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
final-fantasy-v-1-600x600.jpg
107KB, 600x600px
Is something wrong with Final Fantasy V? People constantly talk about and praise IV and VI, but no one ever seems to bring up V at all. Why is that?
>>
The story and characters are considered a bit lackluster. It's a very generic JRPG of the SNES era. Though many like the job system.
>>
>>384141718
The plot and characters are weak relative to IV and VI. And a lot of people prefer the set character archetypes as opposed to the job system. V is up there with XII as one of my favorites though.
>>
>>384141718
It wasn't released outside Japan until much later, so many people never played it.

5 is my favourite by far.
>>
V is top tier, but it's not one that any English-speakers grew up with so nobody remembers it fondly the way they do IV and VI. IV is actually one of the worst games in the series, but because of how it was presented to the West as FF2, it gets more merit than it deserves.
>>
I only played 5 much later than 4 and 6, and I played it on an emulator. ZSNES, if I recall correctly. I loved the hell out of it; the job system makes fights more strategic, and the story doesn't take itself seriously at all, which is refreshing. On the other hand, these same points can be cons to other people.

In the end, it just got overshadowed by other games in the series, and people forget about it.
>>
>>384141718
4 and 6 came out on the snes in the west, while 5 wasn't out in the west until years later and on the gba of all things. Most people have never played it, and when you do play it you realize that while the gameplay is great the story and characters are worse and less memorable than 4 and 6, so that's another reason
>>
V will always be my favorite of the series, the job system just brings something to the game that hasnt been explored as throughly since. Not to mention its less accessible than IV and VI, and probably less engaging if your not that into the combat and team building systems.
>>
5 wasn't released in US until lame PS remakes. It had a great GBA port, but it failed to get nostalgia like 4 and 6 did with old school people.
One of, if not, the best FFs gameplaywise, using the best implementation of the job system, definitely worth a play.
Play the advance version with a sound restoration patch for optimal play
>>
It's the most fun to play.
>>
It's not a bad game.

It's just that it happens to be surrounded by two of the most notable JRPGs of all time.

FF4 has the strong story emphasis they attempted with FF2, but without the byzantine grind of FF2, basically writing the book on contemporary Final Fantasy.

And what needs to be said about FF6?

FF5 on the other hand is basically just another "here's some jobs, be some warriors of light, go find some crystals, faggot."

So it's not bad. It's a really well made cheeseburger, that just happens to be served in-between ribeye steaks made from a rare breed of cow, by the top chefs in the world.
>>
>>384141718
Lack of access for people that grew up with the series outside of Japan, since it's one of the favorites over there to the point that it broke the sequel rule and had an anime set 100 or so years after the game ended.

If it had an update like FF4DS to bring it into modern times, I'd imagine we'd hear a ton of talk about it, but as it stands, it's the FF that is known for its comedy and battle system.

>>384143115
Playstation 1 with Woolsey's translation actually came before the GBA port. Beyond that, what you said is pretty much the truth, since everyone remembers the broken combos more than how riveting the story and characters were outside of select scenes.
>>
Story is only alright.

By the time I had played it I already played Tactics, which was a game that expanded the job system from 5 into a much more complicated and elaborate system, so I have no nostalgia for it.
>>
File: db.png (689KB, 661x1217px) Image search: [Google]
db.png
689KB, 661x1217px
>>384141718
It's a good game, but not as popular like the others since the story and characters are pretty tame.
Job system is the best i've handled with in the whole series.
I do appreciate the story. It feels like a cheesy Saturday morning cartoon.
>>
>>384141718
People like Bravely Default, so FFV should be good too right?

Isn't FFV Bravely Default but about 10 years prior?
>>
People played it as adults instead of kids, so it didn't imprint on them the way the other games did

Just look at how neo-/v/ praises IX because it was their first game in the series
>>
Dull plot, dull character design, the job system was a neat idea but poorly executed. As far as the job system goes, Tactics pulled it off much better.

Yes, I cleared the entire game. I lost interest half-way through, but compelled myself to finish it anyway. No interest in replaying it.
>>
>>384144552
those two arent connected at all.
Bravely default Mirrors FFV by a TON though, so if you liked one the other is definately worth a playthough
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V1Mvt8XRUo
>>
>>384144704
>Just look at how neo-/v/ praises IX

I'm pretty sure it's a single autist behind those threads. Same with this thread.
>>
>>384144704
>>384145425
>hating FFIX
Kill yourselves.
>>
Post the pic of Butz and his harem, you know the one
>>
>>384141718
Real reason is because it didn't get localized on SNES so there's less nostalgia for it. It's better than IV in nearly every regard.
>>
FFV has the best blue magic. I always use it throughout the game.

I kind of hated how (mostly useless) blue magic was in FFVI. You don't get Strago till the end of the first world, and they missed a huge opportunity by not having enemies in the burning house and Thamasa Mountains that use blue magic skills. No one uses Strago because it's easier to just teach magic through espers.
>>
>>384141718
Because people are faggots. FFV is one of the two best games in the series.
>>
>FF5 on the other hand is basically just another "here's some jobs, be some warriors of light, go find some crystals, faggot."

That sounds literally like FF3
>>
Best job system ever, great and memorable characters.

But a completely average plot.
>>
>>384147171
meant to quote >>384143957
>>
>>384141718
It never got a good English release.
>>
>try to prevent the destruction of the crystals
>fail
>try to stop exdeath from recovering his full power
>fail and someone dies in the process
>try to stop exdeath from merging the worlds
>fail
Is there a group of heroes more cucked than this?
>>
>>384141718
It would be talked more if it got a 3D remake like FF3 did.
>>
>videogame enthusiasts
>didn't simply import the jap version of FFV

Yeah, no
>>
>>384145331
I can't hear this without the finger snapping anymore. Great song.
>>
>>384147171
It's pretty similar to FF3. There are also some creative bosses, like one boss has a pretty devestating Earthquake move so you'll need to cast Float on everyone, but the boss specifically dispells Float across the party whenever it's been cast. You either have to constantly cast float or leave one guy as the patsy to take Earthquake all the time. There aren't too many FF games that have clever set ups like this. The robot with the goofy arms in FF7 was a neat boss but it was more annoying than anything else since it could easily fuck you up by grabbing two party members right away.

Anyway, FF5 is worth playing through if you want some cool gameplay but the story isn't quite as strong as 4 or 6. Again, it's pretty similar to 3 in a lot of regards.
>>
>>384147391
The better question is if there's an FF group that actually mostly succeeds
>>
>>384147760
>kids that grew up with FF4 and FF6 (which they knew as FF2 and FF3)
>having the knowledge or means to import and play japanese games
>>
>>384141718
I played it and it has perhaps the most memorable characters in the entire series. Well, that is easy if your cast is small though.
>>
>>384143957
>And what needs to be said about FF6?
That the gameplay is total shit and is a huge step down from FF5 in every single way. If anything FF5 is the steak surrounded by cheeseburgers.
>>
probably my favourite in the series, mostly for gameplay. The job system is great and one of the more underrated things about the game is how alot of the bosses actually have either cool little mechanics or really powerful attacks and counter-attacks you have to play around to not get fucked.

On a side note while the story is a bit mediocre i do like how the game doesn't take itself as seriously as other ff games (for the most part).
>>
is XIV the best FF?
>>
>>384145124
>Tactics pulled it off much better.
No it didn't. Inter-job and ability balance is exponentially more awful in Tactics than it is in 5 and Tactics' job unlock system sucks fucking ass compared to unlocking all but one job in the first third of the game AND not having FF3-style jobs that are nothing but straight upgrades of prior jobs.
>>
>>384151056
figuring out how to beat omniscient when i'd only brought spellblade, white, and time magic was extremely satisfying
>>
It was good.
I remember running out of supplies near the final fight with X-Death.
Eventually had to make two samurai and GP Tossed my way into winning.
>>
>>384141718
>Post yfw Exdeath (Savage)
>>
>>384149457
1 2 7 8 9 10 all have pretty good success rates
even in the case of 2 8 9 and 10 having places get wiped out they still came out ahead
>>
>>384152047
>fighting a tree
>>
>the characters are worse than IV's
Is this true? I haven't played V yet but it astounds me that any charactes could be more boring than the planks of wood named Cecil and Rosa. The rest of the cast were fine but hardly what I'd consider memorable compared to other games. Then again, I played it as an adult so I have no nostalgic feelings attached to it.
>>
>>384141718
If there was ever a Final Fantasy that deserves a remake it's 5 not 7
>>
>>384144704
My first FF was 1 and I still think 9 is one of the best.
>>
>>384141718
We never got in the US, really. It was on that obscure PS1 Final Fantasy Anthology with an assy translation, and then it got another release on the GBA. People just don't know it.

It's one of the best in the series and introduced a ton of fan favorite elements.
>>
>>384152848
No. V's characters are actually pretty good, it's just not a VII-esque story about nonstop character development, and one of them has the best moment in the entire fucking series.
>>
>>384152848
I don't think it's true at all. The game's tone is just much more lighthearted than IV or VI and the cast is much smaller. There's still plenty of excellent character scenes though.
>>
>>384152848
They are way more light hearted and take themselves less seriously. Personally I love the FFV cast though Lenna will likely really bore you if you found Cecil and Rosa one dimensional.
>>
>>384142108
>Plot and characters in VI
>Any good after the world of ruin
>Plot of IV
>Good
>>
>>384141718
V is lowkey one of the best but it only became easily available if you emulated a translated copy or got it much later in an anthology or rerelease.

I dunno why so many people talk shit about the plot, it beats the shit out of 1 through 3 and is probably better than 4 and 6 or at least on par with them. Gilgamesh is great, Galuf and Ferris are great.
>>
>>384147391
>Try to prevent Golbez from getting the crystals
>Fail
>Try to prevent Golbez from getting the DARK WORLD crystals
>Fail
>Try to stop Kain from betraying you for the 8th time
>Fail
>>
File: lolistare.jpg (89KB, 500x273px) Image search: [Google]
lolistare.jpg
89KB, 500x273px
>>384150646
what he said
5 is much better than the other two
>>
>>384152848
5's characters were meh
Lenna was stupid and had cringy moments of walking through poison flowers to feed lizards
Faris was just kinda there because she has a ship
Gulaf was cool but meh in the end
Krile was just kinda there
Bartz is like Locke from FF6 when he isnt sad thinking about Rachel.

What made FF5 what it is was the job system and cross job mechanics. Exdeath was there just to link all FF worlds together and nothing else, and Gilgamesh got meme status early on in the internets life, grandfathering him into current meme days.

>>384153053
All they had to do was add more Red Mage usable weapons in the third world and you got yourself a classic mastered remake
>>
>>384141718
V is definitely top tier. Faris is best girl of the entire series
>>
>>384153586
You are now aware that Faris has been in the /e/ sticky for over a decade now
>>
>>384144704
XIII was my first game in the series
>>
>>384153678
>2011 was ten years ago
Where does time go?
>>
I don't see why you can't like 5 and 6 both.
>>
>>384153525
>>384152848
Lenna has one excellent optional scene near the end, Krile is neglected though.
>>
>>384153909
What was it? It has been a while so I dont remember
>>
what's the definitive version of FFV to play?
>>
>>384154381
GBA or SNES. Don't listen to the retards to recommend PSX or the mobile abomination.
>>
>>384154381
GBA with sound patch.
>>
It doesn't stand out any is all.

Its story isn't deep, melodramatic or hard-hitting
Its villain is Saturday morning cartoonish
It looks like a generic SNES game, middling-quality sprites

that said, it's my favorite hands-down because of its levity and the expansiveness of its battle skill development system
>>
>>384154381
gba with patches
ps1 is definitely playable(Ive put about 200 hours into the ps1 version) but it has issues like the save screen getting corrupted randomly making you back out of it and enter it 20 times to fix it and the translation being different than all the others
Phone ports are the worst offenders though and square should feel horrible for what they did to 5 and 6 in them
>>
>>384154381
GBA. The sound patch deals with most of the problems with it although the music isn't exactly butchered, just different, the translation is vastly superior to anything before it, and the GBA extra content is actually pretty fun and rewarding.
>>
>>384154381
GBA version, its an actual remaster of the original that adds character portraits, improved music four new jobs and a hard post game dungeon filled with tough bosses and a boss rush challenge. Avoid the steam/ios version it's hot garbage
>>
>>384154381
Gba or steam. Both have the same amount of content. Steam version's ui is a travesty aestheically though thanks to how lazy squeenix is
>>
>>384153678
Based /e/
>>
>>384153678
>those days when /e/ was constantly full of request threads and people viciously bitching about them
>everything suddenly improved when riderfan was caught sockpuppeting his own fans and fucked off to booru forever
Good times.
>>
>>384148343

FFIV DS is literally made of puzzley bosses like that. Play it if you haven't.

Also FFXIV just got a raid based on the Interdimensional Rift in FFV, which includes the boss you're talking about. Might interest you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd9_76UNmxM
>>
>>384154381

GBA, but never listen to retards telling you to use a "sound patch", those people are musically ignorant. You can't patch the GBA to sound like the SNES, and attempting to do so results in music that sounds worse than both. The GBA FFV soundtrack isn't bad at all anyway, nothing like the case of FFVI where the SNES version is still definitive thanks to vastly superior sound quality.
>>
>>384156932
is XIV the best FF game?
>>
>>384157584
I'd say it isn't because it doesn't do a whole lot that's unique to itself. It pulls far too much from every other title because its own lore is so weak it can't hold up.
>>
>>384157784
Is it even worth playing if I'm only interested in the story and music? I really don't care about the MMO aspects of the game (RP, raiding, PVPing, etc.)
>>
Been meaning to play V for a while now. What's the best version of it?
>>
File: 1456555196481.png (1MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1456555196481.png
1MB, 2000x2000px
>this game never got a ds remake with voice acting
>>
>>384158163
If you had bothered to read a few posts above yours, you would've found your answer.
>>
>>384158045
Yes, you even have to get through the entire story before you even get to the raid content.
>>
>>384158045
Go for it.
raids have some good music though
>>
>>384158045

It has the best soundtrack of any video game, for me it's worth it for that alone. Every significant boss has at least one if not several theme songs, one of which is usually a vocal piece. Also has the Guinness record for largest soundtrack.

The story is good as well, certainly on a whole different level compared to recent single player FF outings. Closest comparisons story-wise are FFXII and FFVI, but the scope of the story is far larger than either, being a huge MMO and all. It relies on fanservice a great deal but the consensus is that's not a bad thing when it's done so well.
>>
Have you anons played the Four Job Fiesta? I started on monday and finished two days ago, shit was cash

http://fourjobfiesta.com/
>>
>>384158642
>>384158643
>>384158669
How long does it take to finish all of them and hit max level? I heard you can make multiple classes, but is it possible to just play with one job/class the entire game? Any other tips?
>>
>>384158879
I finished a couple of runs last month. 2 Knight/2 Red Mage made me have to back off of Neo-Exdeath and grind, although at least both of my Knights had solid weapons since Knight + staff wielder means you can curbstomp Shinryu no problem.
>>
>>384158945
Depends on how often you play. There is a hell of a lot of story. You can do it all on just one job, though.
>>
>>384141718
V slipped under most people's radar because it didn't get a SNES release outside of Japan.

It's great though. Much more emphasis on party building and customization than the other FF games, though it is lacking in story and characters.
>>
>>384141718
5 only saving grace is the combat system, which should make it the best, but because most JRPGs focus on everything else it's a pretty bland experience
>>
>>384158945
>how long does it take
A while.

>but is it possible to just play with one job/class the entire game?
Yes, although if you play DPS and don't have a tank or healer friend, be prepared to wait 15-30+ minutes to get into dungeons

>Any other tips?
Learn how to play your class.
Do sidequests with blue icons and + signs next to them to unlock more stuff.
Pet every single lala
>>
It isn't plot heavy, and the game never received a major release in the west.
>>
>>384144704
IX is the best in the series you nigger
>>
>>384154332
Phoenix Tower
>>
>>384158945

If you're the type who doesn't have ADHD and wants to take in the sights, talk to NPCs, do side stories and so on, the main story of FFXIV is about 300 hours at this point, and it gets longer every 3 months.

And of course, a lot of the best content both in terms of story, music and fanservice is found in raids, so you're really looking at a lot more playtime than that if you want to see everything.

The good news is that there's little grinding and most of the raids have easy modes if you're a casual, though I really recommend doing the hard modes if you can as it's usually a lot of fun.
>>
The random encounter rate of FFIV is way too high
>>
>>384163231
Don't run outside of combat.
>>
Job system is awesome, story and chars are just alright. That's really the long and short of it.
>>
>>384141718
No, it's the most underrated Final Fantasy along with 9
>>
File: 1494530311425.jpg (176KB, 721x717px) Image search: [Google]
1494530311425.jpg
176KB, 721x717px
>>384158348
>voice acting
>>
>>384152379
2 and 9 fail the most of any FF game. Even when 2 succeeds it only worked to the main villain's benefit. 9 was complete genocide everywhere. Even Cecil managed to fuck up less.
7 has more failures than successes. Though really, almost all their failures can be blamed on Aeris and Tifa being lying assholes to Cloud.
8 Only Laguna really succeeds, and Zell to an extent. Everything else is met in hard failure.

1 and 10 yeah I suppose your right.
>>
FF3 is the most forgotten one.
>>
Did Butz and Lenna end up together
>>
>>384141718
I love FF5. Its not as talk about is due to the fact it focuses more so on gameplay and party customization. While story and character development outside of Galuf isn't a major focus it does them well enough.The game is actually quite depressing but, keeps it under its light tone which makes the more impactful scenes all the more stand out. The game also laid ground works for multiverse connection between the games in the series.
>>384169441
Who knows but, Butz does have ancestor in the sequel and she look kinda like her.
>>
>>384169441
>>384170848
Bartz and Krile hooked up. Their ancestor is in the sequel OVA.
>>
>>384171440
Butz doesn't strike me the type who would be a kiddie fiddler.
>>
File: Gilgamesh1-ffv-ios.png (32KB, 129x150px) Image search: [Google]
Gilgamesh1-ffv-ios.png
32KB, 129x150px
*blocks your path*
>>
>>384173743
*Steals your genji armor*
>>
File: JuraAvis-ffv.gif (2KB, 95x95px) Image search: [Google]
JuraAvis-ffv.gif
2KB, 95x95px
>>384173979
>*Steals
*it's a Turtle Shell*
Thread posts: 111
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.