[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The prime series has one of the worst combat systems in the entire

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

File: SI_Wii_MetroidPrimeTrilogy.jpg (531KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
SI_Wii_MetroidPrimeTrilogy.jpg
531KB, 2000x1000px
The prime series has one of the worst combat systems in the entire FPS genre. Prove me wrong
>>
To go into detail:

>90% of the encounters are against some shitty insect
>Consequently you barely fight enemies that are "on par" with Samus' skills/weapons and which make use of the combat's system best feature (the high mobility)
>Extremely extremely extremely low damage from Samus, meaning most fights are just kiting some faggot for like a minute straight, there is simply no way to deal efficient, constant high damage to enemies.
>Every enemy including bosses is a bullet sponge
>a bunch of shitty design decisions like enemies who phase out and take like 10 seconds to reappear just to fucking prolong the battle for no reason at all
>there's not even an incentive to fight, you can skip most fights (and you should) with no consequence
>>
good thing it's not an fps
>>
>>384143651
It's first person and you shoot things, its an FPS
>>
>>384142451
So it's like 2d metroid

Protip: most enemies are acted as item dispenser and you're not really required to kill them
>>
>>384143964
Is Skyrim an FPS too?
>>
>>384144772

Stop being a retard
>>
>>384143964
I guess that makes Castlevania a fighting game.
>>
>>384144315
2d metroid doesn't have a first person camera.

>enemies are item dispensers

Which makes it fucking dogshit

>>384144772
No, Skyrim is not even balanced around the ranged weapons, you can shoot ranged weapons but it's not the main means of combat, and first person sworder sounds retarded.

Also you can totally play skyrim in 3rd person
>inb4 you can go third person in metroid too
Yeah only in morph ball and you can't beat the game just like that.
>>
>>384144926
not an argument
>>
>>384144926
>gets BTFO
>resorts to ad hominem

faggot
>>
>>384144926
He's right though.
>>
>>384145075
Most of your arguments about the enemies are applicable to the enemies on 2d metroid too
>>
>>384144315

>Protip: most enemies are acted as item dispenser and you're not really required to kill them

So the guy dispense items so that I can be ready for the next fight which is just an item dispense and so on?

>>384145004

Castlevania judgement is a fighting game
>>
File: bullet sponge.webm (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
bullet sponge.webm
1MB, 640x360px
>Every enemy including bosses is a bullet sponge
?
>>
>>384145075
Would you consider Super Metroid and Mega Man X to be the same genre as well? There's more to a game than its camera angle.
>>
>>384145546

That's a trilogy screenshot. Trilogy reduced the difficulty of MP2 big time, devs have even stated this.
>>
>>384145391
Yeah, because the games are about exploration anyway. You explore, fight enemies so you can gather items to make exploring easier, fight bosses with the items you just collected to gain access of new items, so you can explore for more. Metroid is always about exploring and not about combat. Most enemies are dormant anyway (think about it, they just do what they do, only handful of them being an active threat to you), they just meant to slow you down so exploring isn't just running from one place to another in a quick pace.

That's why some people already said that it isn't an FPS: it's first person and you shoot things, yes, but it isn't the main focus or draw of the game anyway.
>>
>>384145004
Why would you even resort to that Retarded guess? Look I know you're autistic and you're just being butthurt because Nintendo says MP is a "FIRST PERSON ADVENTURE" instead of a first person shooter, but there are way more similarities between FPS and "FPA" than there are between Metroidvanias and fighting game, retard

>>384145290
Yeah 2d metroid also has shit combat.

>>384145665
Not even remotely the same equivalence
>>
>>384145807
OP uses a trilogy picture so ????
>>
>>384141562
>>384142451
I can't, that's why I like the 2D games better.
>>
>>384142451
>90% of the encounters are against some shitty insect
l can alreadytell you're full of shit

off the top of my head the first prime had normal space pirates, flying ones, chozo ghosts, sheegoths, poison orbs, electric orbs, homing bats, those lava worm things and different types of metroids
>>Consequently you barely fight enemies that are "on par" with Samus' skills/weapons and which make use of the combat's system best feature (the high mobility)
sheegoths, chozo ghosts and pirates all require mobility
>Extremely extremely extremely low damage from Samus, meaning most fights are just kiting some faggot for like a minute straight, there is simply no way to deal efficient, constant high damage to enemies.
basic enemies die in seconds after being shot by the starting gun, for the rest you have ice beam shot + missile, missile combos, power bombs or the screw attack all dealing massive damage
not bothering with the rest, you're talking bollocks mate
>>
>>384146636

And OP says "the prime series has bad combat", it has nothing to do with it being trilogy or not, he's not talking about MP2 specifically
>>
>>384146514
You move from side to side, and you physically hit enemies. How is that not a fighting game?
>>
>>384145807
A darkburst will kill them in one hit in the gamecube version as well.

In fact most normal enemies will go down in one or two charged shots from whatever they're weak to in any of the games. If enemies are bullet sponges you're doing something wrong.
>>
File: 904850394853.jpg (201KB, 500x1397px) Image search: [Google]
904850394853.jpg
201KB, 500x1397px
>>384141562
>Can dash and jump to dodge strikes
>Guns feel and act distinctly different
>Guns have risk/reward with charge shots.
>Can alternate between targeting a single opponent for accuracy or aiming to shoot multiple people on GameCube
>Can still aim while targeting on Wii
>Not a headshot snooze fest
>Game isn't even an FPS
>>
File: genre.png (688KB, 795x1644px) Image search: [Google]
genre.png
688KB, 795x1644px
>>384141562
>entire FPS genre
false premise
>>
>>384147020

>90% of the encounters
>"UHHHH WHAT DO YOU MEAN HAHA THERE ARE ACTUALLY ENEMIES WHO AREN'T INSECTS"

Yeah, that's the 10%, also you mentioned shit like "bats" which really counts as insects, since I meant more shit like "boring normal alien wildlife"

>screw ball
Literally "no fun allowed" mode, and you get it almost by the end.
>>
File: never ever.png (572KB, 600x580px) Image search: [Google]
never ever.png
572KB, 600x580px
>>384147327

>All this autists acting as if OP getting the genre wrong means the game actually doesn't have bad combat
>>
>>384147134
Darkbust was 30 fucking beam ammo, also most enemies capable of phasing out do it whenever you throw a charge shot/missile at them

>>384147074
Not even going to answer to this ridiculously retarded false equivalence.
>>
>>384147759
>ignores all the other examples to focus on the screw attack
thanks for the concession, faggot
>>
>>384148208
They are all no fun allowed stuff
>>
>>384147983
But it doesn't. For the game that it is, the combat is fine.
>>
>>384148465

It's not fine simply because it isn't fun
>>
>>384148662
> it isn't fun
That's subjective, I liked it.
>>
>>384147983
OP's claim is that it's one of the worst in the FPS genre. It's an invalid claim since the game isn't an FPS, but even if we humor OP, he's still full of shit. Countless fucking garbage FPS games exist from the early 90s to early 00s with completely horrible mechanics. And these are games that are purely FPS, with nothing else going for them. The Prime games' combat mechanics are hardly revolutionary or even particularly good, but to call them the worst of anything shows a blatant lack of experience.
>>
>>384148662
It's fun enough
>>
>>384142451
>Metroid Prime
>high mobility
This is how I know you haven't even played the series.
>>
>>384143964
shooting is just a means to an end really, it's like saying any game that has a jump is a platformer
>>
>>384145807
iirc all they reduced were some of the more obnoxious bosses like the boost and spider guardians
>>
Why was Echoes so hard?
>>
>>384148662
I had fun with it :^)
>>
>>384152174
The lead designer didn't have enough time to balance all the enemies, including bosses. He actually never beat the boost guardian without cheats
>>
>>384152174
Everyone complained the first game was too easy.
>>
>>384147983
Super Mario Bros. has bad combat
>>
Destroying kids online on prime hunter was the shit.
>>
File: Trace_wp_1280.jpg (336KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Trace_wp_1280.jpg
336KB, 1280x1024px
>>384153008
*snipes you from stealth*
>>
>>384141562
Shooting isn't the point of the game, exploration is. Would you compare Super Metroid to Contra?
>>
>>384150038
He's right. Dashing effectively in Prime 1 gives you an incredible amount of speed, it's invaluable when fighting Omega Pirate and Meta Ridley.

It's less true in Prime 2, but that game has other combat mechanics.
>>
>>384147759
>Yeah, that's the 10%
Not even close to that low. Go look at a creatures logbook list.
>>
Tetris had awful combat
>>
>>384141562

I got a better idea. Since these games have already been out for 16+ years and have already garnered all the critical and commercial acclaim they can, and you trying to convince people that they're wrong for liking it is a complete waste of time....

....Why don't you do something fun for yourself? What games do you like? Why not make a thread about them?
>>
>>384141562
It's a First Person Adventure game though.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.