[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Most underrated game of all time? Definitely. It may even be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 13

File: FFX-2_box.jpg (142KB, 256x366px) Image search: [Google]
FFX-2_box.jpg
142KB, 256x366px
Most underrated game of all time?

Definitely. It may even be my favorite FF. Whats with the bandwagon hate?
>>
>dark theme of the original ffx falls on its ass
>the story had a definite conclusion, it didn't need a sequel
>just compare the opening of ffx against ffx2
>switch from turn based to atb system
>>
>>384136165

their dad walked in on them during the massage scene
>>
>>384136165
>literally impossible to get 100% without a guide
>about a billion permanently missable things
>including one instance in which you need to press a button during a CUTSCENE with literally zero prompt or direction that you need to do said thing

yeah no
>>
>>384136525
oh how terrible, your OCD completionist tendencies over shit that doesn't matter aren't being catered to
>>
>>384136165
>>384136525

Wasn't this the game where to get 100% you had to talk to 3 different normal NPCs in a specific order in the intro?
>>
>>384136641
Missable content is objectively bad game design.
>>
>>384136663
One of whom is off camera, yes.
>>
>>384136765
I think X-2 is shit, but this is wrong.
>>
>>384136865
It's not if you know the degrees at which X-2 did it
>>
Didn't they revive tidus at the end of X's credits?

It's been forever, but I swear that was there and then when I saw it I wondered why or how X-2 existed
>>
The combat is good but most of the rest is retarded
>>
>>384136920
I think expecting the player to play and replay and eventually buy a guide for missable content is stupid, but not necessarily bad design. It's only bad when the game treats hunting for this content as your major incentive.

Like, Chrono Trigger, the SaGa games, the Mana games, FFXII? All of them have different kinds of missable content and it's usually to each game's favor. CT has tons of little touches that make you appreciate it more, Mana/SaGa add replay value with distinct content and player choice, and XII harkens back to old gaming secrets and rumor culture with absurd nonsense (invisible 0.01% spawn mega weapons). X-2 does it poorly by making this content insubstantial (it's usually mundane dialogue) and chastising you for not experiencing it by denying you the ending.
>>
>>384137113
The combat is fucking terrible
>>
>>384136165
It wasn't a proper sequel, people expected the outcome of the 1st game different.

No really formal story, felt like you did random stuff all over Spira until you hit something but the investment of the player wasn't there, didn't feel as important as X.

Also all female team, kind of weird for normal audiences.

Now for me, all of those cons don't matter much, game's still super underrated, but you can totally see why the game would be off putting in the bigger picture.
>>
>>384136165
is this the real US cover?
>>
>>384137113
It's good [IN THEORY], just like X.
In practice it's boring.
>>
First Final Fantasy game without Sakaguchi and it fucking shows.
>>
It was more of a fan fiction than an actual game. FFX was more than enough, but this game was merely the devs being pussies and saying "Tidus and Yuna are together forever now guys lol". I don't think it was bad, but it wasn't needed.
>>
>>384136343
X is also a shit game while X-2 isn't so there's that.
>>
File: 1498758727900.jpg (5KB, 182x188px) Image search: [Google]
1498758727900.jpg
5KB, 182x188px
>>384136343
Why can you not consider it a light sequence?

Does Army of Darkness ruin the grimness of Evil Dead 2? Dont think so.
>>
>>384136525
>literally impossible to get 100% without a guide
[citation needed]
>>
>>384137501
>CT has tons of little touches that make you appreciate it mor
Such as?
>>
File: images (3).jpg (9KB, 251x201px) Image search: [Google]
images (3).jpg
9KB, 251x201px
not hacking the thread but tell me folks, FFXHD is on sale in PSN store. As someone who has never played FF game, is it worth it?
>>
>>384136165
>Any FF game
>Underrated
>>
>>384139916

10 is one of the better FF titles to start with. Just understand that its a lot more cinematic than its predecessors, as Square loves its presentation and they had a shiny new PS2 to do it with
>>
>>384139793
>Doing things differently changes the tone of the trial.
>Little easter eggs all across the game.
>Missable sidequests that give more context to the cast.
>The entire Crono Resurrection arc and how you can skip it.
>Magus.

There's both details and content you can miss even ignoring the multiple times at which you can fight Lavos and it's all great.
>>
>>384139971
2 and 8 get a bit more hate than they deserve and the Famicom version of 3's OST is an often ignored masterpiece.
>>
>>384139916
Not really. It has a lot of good ideas with awful execution, it's piss easy even for Final Fantasy, and it gets long in the tooth.

I know people balk at the idea since it's easily the most popular and arguably overrated one, but 7 is a better place to start. It has a good mix of gameplay, presentation and absurdity that gives you a baseline for the rest of the series.
>>
>>384140627
How in hell is 7s gameplay better than 10s?
Not to mention the awful graphics.

Buy 10.
>>
Objectively worst Chocobo theme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGIN2jkZVjE
>>
>>384139916
>I have played JRPGs before
No. It's not very good.
>I have not played JRPGs before
It's not awful, but I'd recommend other games before it.
>>
File: Vegnagun.jpg (218KB, 650x544px) Image search: [Google]
Vegnagun.jpg
218KB, 650x544px
>>384136165
Gameplay is really underrated. It's a nice little implementation of the Job System.
Story, world and characters are complete garbage though. Although at least Vegnagun has a REALLY nice design. I hope FFXIV turns it into a boss at some point, heavens know there's no hope of it appearing anywhere else if it isn't there.
>>
>>384140782
>How in hell is 7s gameplay better than 10s?
Despite the Grandia-esque systems, encounter design is pitiful. You're taught that each character basically one-shots X enemy type, making fights a chore instead of engaging. It doesn't get fun until post-game, and I wouldn't recommend that level of grind to anyone for their first game. 7's more traditional and makes you think just a touch more. It's still easy, but not as dull.
>Muh grafix!
A. Fuck off. B. X's animations and delivery is so shit that it breaks immersion even harder than Lego Cloud.
>>
>>384141161
Motherfucker you know they're gonna use it, they've made far deeper pulls already and that model is ripe for refurbishing.
>>
File: Paine.jpg (330KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Paine.jpg
330KB, 1920x1200px
I need this
>>
>>384139971
>>384140248
FFV is a underrated masterpiece IMO. It was miles ahead from anything else in the genre as far as gameplay is concerned and yet people pretend it's bad because they went for a simple and lighthearted story.
>>
>>384139971
>what is ff13 saga
>>
>>384141623
It's about on par with DQ3, 5 and 7. That's definitely not bad, but it's not an incredible masterpiece of game design either: just really solid and fun. It's only underrated in the West, because the Nips love it.

4 and 10 are probably the most overrated, but only because 7's absurd hype lead to a lot of people criticizing it heavily and downplaying it.
>>
File: Final Fantasy V.jpg (2MB, 3000x926px) Image search: [Google]
Final Fantasy V.jpg
2MB, 3000x926px
>>384141623
Lighthearted stories are the best at punching you in the gut when they have to. If everything is dark and hopeless you already expect loss at every corner.
FFV still has the best death scene in the franchise so far.
>>
>>384137501
FF12 does it fucking poorly too

XC and XCX do the same type of thing substantially better
>>
>>384141238
Yes because lego block cloud is so much more immersive!
>>
>>384136165
the gameplay was pretty great, almost everything else was not. should have just been a separate entry with it's own story.
>>
>>384138793
Except they weren't together forever. The official novel stuff after has Tidus dump her and be a chad lmao.
>>
>>384143186
Yeah, that's what I just said.

"HORNLESSS, HORNLESSSS!!" as the entire party stands rigid like boards and have their default lo-res faces takes me out of it way more than the abstraction of Lego Cloud, just like how Lego Cloud takes me out of it more than Terra's massive fucking head and pixelated sprite.

The less abstract a representation is, the more it has to emulate reality to be effective
>>
>>384136765
fuck you, this kind of thinking is why we get games with forced qte's around every corner, because devs are so afraid that everyone won't have the same experience that they take the fun of letting the player fully play and dick around, out of the game.
X-2 had a lot of bullshit. but that kind of thinking is cancer.
>>
>>384142682
I don't think it's good, but XII's "Mew under the truck" tier bullshit isn't what I'd call bad game design.
>>
>>384141623
I've long been of the opinion that V is the best FF game and one of the best games in the genre as a whole. I just love that game.
>>
>>384141623
>pretend it's bad
No, it's bad. While the ideas were ahead of their time, their execution wasn't very well balanced. There's no incentive to use anything but the most cheap ability combos.
>lighthearted story
You mean a story that might as well be a work of fanfiction. I don't mind lighthearted stories, but there was nothing enjoyable about FF5's setting or characters.

But there's probably no point in voicing my thoughts since you're ready to dismiss anyone who disagrees with you.
>people pretend
>pretend

Of course. People inexplicably pretend they hate things for no discernable reason.
>>
>>384142376
There's a difference between lighthearted and half-hearted. V's JP script is fucking sterile. The tone is fine, but the half-step between character and avatar while the game is written like it's dealing with characters just isn't good. None of the emotional moments have weight because the characters don't have their own voice.
>>
>>384136165
Even if the plot is bullshit, I still like this game. The battle system is great, even though I hate the time it takes to change job in-battle.

Hell, even the plot is not THAT bad. The world is learning to have fun and live without fear now that Sinh is gone and so you have a game about going everywhere, talking to everyone and enjoy it.

It's a great game and I feel bad for those who can't enjoy it.
>>
>>384136165
One of the worst games I've ever played. Every single mini-game, bit of game/level design, plot vehicle, etc is absolute trash
>>
File: Dolphin Pilot.png (6KB, 304x224px) Image search: [Google]
Dolphin Pilot.png
6KB, 304x224px
>>384144107
>You mean a story that might as well be a work of fanfiction.
What the literal AND metaphorical fug is this supposed to mean.

That FFV is an unofficial fan-made narrative taking place in another game's setting? What?

>>384144254
>Galuf and Faris don't have their own voice
We're just going to have to agree to disagree there bud, I give you Bartz and Leena, ESPECIALLY Leena, but Galuf is the most memorable character of all Nintendo FF games to me even WITHOUT his sacrifice.
>>
>>384139697
You ever try?

I've got a buddy who is one of the most thorough gamers I've ever met. He talks to everyone multiple times, every time he goes to a new town. He searches every bookcase, every pot, every spot of grass that looks even slightly odd, every bush, etc, etc. He goes everywhere, looks at everything, stays in each new area for ages looking for rare mobs and rare item drops. Guy is mental when it comes to games. Took him over 400 hours to beat FFX. He replayed FFX2 like 13 times.

The best he could ever get on FFX2 was 99%. A bunch of the hidden shit is off screen, offcamera, and so fucking obscure it's just unfair.

Seriously, take a look at the 100% guides and check out the harder things to get.
>>
>>384144475
kek is that from a Video Systems Co. game? The art and absurdity looks spot on with sonic wings
>>
>>384144729
It actually IS from a Sonic Wings game I believe
>>
>>384139916
FFX is a very good first game intro to the series. It's pretty intuitive, decent amount of depth, some customization, the game looks good, plays well, and has the best FF minigame ever; Blitzball.
>>
>>384144475
Galuf has very, very little distinguishing him. If it was a legitimate attempt instead of a melding of character and blank slate, I'd put it on IV's tier of writing (which was shit). When I was younger I used to think Faris was distinct, but she really isn't beyond the very start.

I love V, and I think V-VII was the series peak, but its writing is barely extant outside of the GBA localization. That version really helped the game a lot.
>>
File: 1499820753415.jpg (98KB, 1024x767px) Image search: [Google]
1499820753415.jpg
98KB, 1024x767px
>>384139971
>>384141623
>>384141856
>All million sellers games with huge fanbases
>two of those ported to tons of devices over and over for decades
>Underrated
Pick up a dictionary and look at the actual definition of underrated.
Protip: It's not "It's underrated because a part of /v/ doesn't like it"

The only one who posted actual underrated stuff in this thread is>>384137501 if you consider certain games like the late SaGa titles, which is also a series that got an undeserved bad rep outside of Japan.
You want underrated games? Pick stuff like Chase the Express, Dark Law, Metal Max, Dezaemon or Soul Sacrifice, but don't you dare bring up franchises like FF to the discussion because they're the epithome of atrociously overrated stuff to anyone who played more than ten games in their life.
>>
>>384144640
He replayed FFX2 like 13 times.
He must like FFX-2
>>
>>384139697
Can confirm, you have to have previous knowledge in some form (guide, replays or otherwise) as it has conflicting criteria. Some things you can't get unless you were scouring every single screen while others can't be obtained unless you rush. It is implausible for someone to 100% it on their first try blind.
>>
>>384145020
Why are LoGH reaction images always so good
>>
>>384136765

nah. 100%-ing a game isnt a requirement, get over it.
>>
>>384144475
Galuf is memorable because he's goofy, like the rest of the cast. FFV was a goofy game, with goofy characters, which is rare for the series.

Most memorable for me is either Rikku, Locke, or Sabin.
>>
>>384145185
Severe OCD makes him a completionist. He likes to try to do it without looking at guides or strategy books. Eventually, I broke him down by "accidentally leaving a guide on his bookshelf".
>>
This thread just proves ops point. Under fucking rated.
>>
>>384145941
Sure, he's goofy and funny, but he's also a very respectable and brave king [who acts like an actual king, commanding his troops into battle in at least one occasion, rather than the common trope of "I'm the prince(ss) but I do nothing around here], and also one of the heroes of the previous war who basically has to see his comrades who saved the world with him back then all getting too old to do much and die one by old. Ultimately it's a combination of characteristics that you don't see much, compared to the far more common "I'm the good natured main hero who's also kind of an idiot but I want to help everyone" thing that Bartz has going for him.

He's not the most deep or nuanced character ever written in JRPG history, far from it, but he stands a good head and shoulders above the rest and is just a badass old man in general. Heavens it feels wrong using this word after Gearbox ruined it so thoroughly.
>>
>>384146740
>what not everyone likes a game I like?
>it's such an underrated gem
Every time, fuck yourself retard.
>>
>>384136165
The gameplay was great, it was the story was dumb as rocks.
>>
>>384146890
Dude, most of what you're talking about is background, not character.

Yes, he's implicitly some things, but almost every trait you can ascribe to Galuf applies to everyone else and their background as well. You're conflating his age and past with active characterization.
>>
>>384142376
It's weird, not only it had the best death scene, I also ended up caring more for fucking Gilgamesh than I did for most of the main characters in other games in the series. I guess the simplicity of the characters and building their relationship with the player through gameplay elements (developing your characters however you want to, actually having Galuf fight to the death with Exdeath, and Gilgamesh essentially being RPG Vergil) does more for me than the over-dramatic but also often poorly written stuff you get so much of in the later games.
>>
>>384147938

thats because Gilgamesh had more character development than any character in your party
>>
>>384145020
You're saying things with high ratings and high sells can't be underrated, but they can be if they should have had even higher sells and higher ratings
Whether or not something is underrated is just an opinion, and you can disagree, but you can't prove it wrong
>>
>>384147369
Story wasnt dumb you just did not get it did you
>>
How the fuck can anyone even play 2D final fantasy games anymore?

They look like fucking RPG Maker games and the gameplay is ridicilously dumbed down.
>>
>>384149865
(You)
>>
File: 1499429130848.png (389KB, 600x722px) Image search: [Google]
1499429130848.png
389KB, 600x722px
>>384144894
>Blitzball
>>
>>384142682
>XCX
Lol, try doing all the gathering quests without a proper map.
That game is worst offender.
>>
>>384150461
That's probably the only bad part and it's only for the gathering quests

Everything else tells you where to find it's and the drop rates aren't even that bad especially with treasure sensor gear. The real downside is the online based drops which are a load of shit
>>
>>384140786
Fuck, man. I never played The Bouncer, but I heard the same person/people did the music for FFX-2. Was it just as shit in that game? Haven't played FFX-2 since it came out, but I only remember liking the battle and victory themes.
>>
Hating FFX is such a nu/v/ thing.

You niggas dont even remember how praised it was here.
>>
>>384151331
it was shit when I first played it and it still is
>>
>>384151331
Only the teedus memes were praised.
>>
>>384151331

only underage hate on 10
>>
Better dead then Al-bhed ayy brudda?
>>
>>384137075
Kind of. It showed him waking up underwater and swimming towards the surface. The scene was later used in the true ending of X2, but in X it came across more like a metaphor for him being at peace, since being underwater is kind of a recurring thing for him
>>
>>384151965
>>384151912
>>384151453
Look at these fags. I've been here since 2006.
FFX was very well received and praised.
You numales play your fucking DLCfantasies and waifusimulators while I enjoy the last good final fantasy - Final Fantasy X.
>>
>>384154780
>FFX was very well received and praised.
it was also a shit game
>>
>>384154780
Been here since 2006, and yet you're still a buzzword-spouting faggot. That's actually even worse than being a proper newfag.
>>
>>384155296
/v/ did not even exist since 2006, newfag.
I bet you looked up on wikipedia when 4chan was created, newfag.

Scum.

Filth. Trash.
>>
>>384155537
I can barely recall when the hell I got here and we're busy in the middle of a very important shitposting match. So apologies if my board history is slipping.
>>
File: 1499517698999.jpg (12KB, 200x203px) Image search: [Google]
1499517698999.jpg
12KB, 200x203px
>>384149262
>but they can be if they should have had even higher sells and higher ratings
You gotta be kidding me, so you're saying that Fifa can be considered underrated because I and a few other people think it should have sold 20 million copies instead of 11? or because Minecraft sold more?
Get the fuck out of here, son.
>>
>win against evil through the power of a j-pop idol concert
cringed my actual ass off
>>
>>384144107
>There's no incentive to use anything but the most cheap ability combos.
No, that's VI and VII you're thinking of. The only games in the series that incentivize using different things more are FFIII and FFX, both of which arguably shouldn't count because FFIII literally forces you to change jobs to deal with areas like the Mini dungeon and FFX not only doesn't do that lategame, but while it lasts, it's just following normal progression and swapping characters in against whatever they counter. FFV's devs took pains to allow multiple strategies to work without going the FFVII route of making enemies babby-tier difficult.
>>
>>384136165
People think FFX was good, and therefore that X-2 ruined something.
>>
>>384155537
>/v/ did not even exist since 2006
What did he mean by this?
>>
File: ultros.jpg (62KB, 256x188px) Image search: [Google]
ultros.jpg
62KB, 256x188px
>>384157527
I always thought that they were both good, but in the way that FFX read more like a book, but X-2 just played better. I do like how easygoing the X-2 starts, because of how dark in certain aspects it becomes.
>>
>>384158246
Personally I can't stomach FFX's extreme linearity. You're pretty chill though, I like how you think.
>>
>>384158581
I do not play it again as often I do X-2 thought. Especially because of that.
>>
>>384154780

FFX is the best game of all time. Fuck yall
>>
>>384160670
yeah, the best game... AT BEING SHIT!!!
>>
I beat my dick raw to Yuna's ass in this game.

My PS2 booklet was sticky AF too.
>>
Love the OST in this game, We're The Gulliwings!
>>
>>384136165
Anything that depicts females deriving enjoyment from activities unrelated to sex is obviously evil SJW propaganda being forced down our throats by the Zionist conspiracy which controls every game studio, video sharing website, reviewer, news station, software platform, magazine, ice-cream wagon, e.t.c. on Earth.

The sad part is that /pol/ genuinely believes this.
>>
>>384136165
How many more months till its on PC? i'm not getting it for PS4
>>
>>384141475
Muh bawls
>>
>>384163503
You're a retard m8.

Women are useless degenerates. We need Islam.
>>
>>384136165
Good combat, ass everything else.
>>
>>384163901
Islam won't make you lose your virginity Anon.
>>
Well its better than any of the FF's that followed it, but being better than dogshit doesn't make for a decent game.
Thread posts: 110
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.