[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just want Valve to make games again https://www.youtube.c

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

File: computer_maintenance[1].jpg (687KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
computer_maintenance[1].jpg
687KB, 1280x720px
I just want Valve to make games again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT7pVK5q8tk
>>
Get those teenagers to stop buying DotA hats and they would.
>>
>>384057936
Not happening
>>
Support EA Origin, UPlay, and League of Legends more then Valve will have to.
>>
Would you rather live in our timeline or in a timeline where Steam doesn't exists, but Valve still makes games?
>>
all of the good creative talent has already left the company
>>
>>384059196
tough question. i think steam is good enough to justify no valve games. pc gaming would be wayyyyy worse without steam.
>>
>>384058475
>hmmmmmm half life 3 or a funny checkered hat....hmmmmmmm...
>Hey bro like my new hat lol half life 3 just announced xD jk lol
>>
>>384060079
Online distribution would have eventually became a thing without valve. Steam was just ahead of the curve. If anything it has done more damage, since it has established a monopoly on the market and suffocates any competition.
>>
>>384059904

Recall where the talent ran off too? I see glimpses of them in other games but dont remember them all. Immediately recognized the HL2's artstyle in Dishonored.
>>
>>384059196
Naturally. Steam is the source of many ills which have dragged not only the industry but also the nature of the games themselves down.

Show me a game with more sublime graphics, with more perfectly pitched and clear art direction.

And they all just fucked around constantly deciding to go nowhere with their concepts.
2006-2010 Valve had the best sound designers and visual artists in the whole industry, and they did almost nothing. Just constant trips to tropical countries.
>>
File: 400_20160312192149_1.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
400_20160312192149_1.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>384061190
whoops, forgot to attach
>>
File: 400_20160312192702_1.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
400_20160312192702_1.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
never again.
>>
Hundreds of devs have left since 2007. Even if they did make games, all the talent is already gone.
>>
>>384061757
They have the resources to gather a competent dev team if they wanted too. They won't though since they're a hat company now.
>>
>>384057936
no you dont, most old leads left valve, that includes writers concept artists and gameplay leads
not to mention source 2 is a pretty dated engine tech wise, the vr demos and dota 2 sdk are nothing more than a glorified source 1 update
almost no new rendering solutions are present, the sdk is fucking train wreck, file formats are still a nightmare to work with
and their bpr implementation is a joke

still, valve is just too small, 400 employess to run steam store, dota 2 and cs go, team fortress 2 organize tournaments ever week, do the steam vr, steam machines and controllers, steam os, new steam shop systems, run the steam support, not to mention they do they own animations for tf2 and doto, a fucking comic book for both dota and tf and producing hats
today you need 200 people + for an aaa game,, they would need to hire a lot more people to make a new game
>>
>>384061757
stop
>>
>>384057936
But they are ? The announced that they were working on 3 VR games...
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcFdB1lTIRA
I really like Kelly Bailey's work, Half-Life has underrated music
>>
File: Games were good once.jpg (840KB, 1000x671px) Image search: [Google]
Games were good once.jpg
840KB, 1000x671px
So was the Orange Box really the final burst of innovation we'll ever see from Valve? It's been 10 years and the only truly unique piece of IP from them after OB was Left 4 Dead.
>>
>>384066865
HL2's OST is objectively bad. The only good track is Triage at Dawn
>>
>>384066907
Steam just makes too much money for them to not dump all their resources into it.
>>
Literally everybody who was involved in creating your favorite worlds such as Half-Life, Portal, Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2 have left the company because they could not get the support to work on a new game. If Valve did make another game it would be nowhere near as good as the games that came before it. Stop idolizing Valve and move on or you'll just be disappointed for the rest of your life
>>
Beyond the hats thing Valve has it's fingers in a bunch of pies right now.

Operating Systems, VR, computer to television streaming services, PC like consoles, even Steam probably takes alot of resources to administer.
>>
File: gabe_newell_compass.png (1MB, 1746x922px) Image search: [Google]
gabe_newell_compass.png
1MB, 1746x922px
Assportal, coming April 12th

It's real, son. It's real.
>>
File: 1446886407502.jpg (167KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1446886407502.jpg
167KB, 1280x720px
>>384067758
And literally everything except Steam has failed because nobody wants to use SteamOS, VR is shit, streaming services are solved with a long HDMI cable, and Steam Machines were fucking retarded. Now they're focusing on eye tracking and brain scanning instead of realizing that nobody besides a few bored rich retards will buy it and what the Steam user base actually wants is a new fucking video game to play.
>>
>>384065913
>games
It takes a team of 300 people today to make an aaa game in 3 years. Reduce the number and you can add more years to dev time.
Valve is a bit over 300 people, maybe less with recent mass departures

And you want to tell me they making 3 games? At once? With all the stuff they got going on?
Dont be naive, those "games" are shitty VR demos.
>>
>>384068591
Valve just wants to delay the inevitable. They dont want to make another new game when they make billions with Steam, I think they loath the fact that their fanbase wont let them move on to fuck around.
>>
>>384070205
>I think they loath the fact that their fanbase wont let them move on to fuck around.
You are a fucking retard if you think this.
You actually believe they rather risk financial stability with a game that could fail rather than print money while doing nothing of much effort?Also with their profits they have more than enough money to peruse any side project, they just dont want to. Those who work there that do leave valve, thats why tens of people left in last years we know off, maybe more.
>>
>>384070661
Shut up
>>
>>384068591
>VR is shit
poor person detected
>>
>>384072840
>poor person detected
He hasn't bought VR yet though
>>
>>384067418

I would die a happy man if people stopped using the word 'objectively' to describe something that is utterly and completely subjective.
>>
>>384073598
The fact that you can enjoy something that is objectively bad deludes you into thinking that quality is subjective. Whether or not you personally enjoy something has no bearing on its objective quality.
>>
>>384057936
I wonder if they lost much making the steambox which was a total flop, along with the steam controller
>>
>>384074037

Right faggot. Did I say I enjoyed it? Did I tried to defend the soundtrack in any way, shape, or form? Answer: no, I did not.

What I did is bemoan the fact that this imageboard uses the word objectively as badly as any valley girl uses 'literally' to add emphasis. Given the frequency that this word gets trotted out it means absolutely fuck-all.

Add on to that the fact that you seem to believe that I'm defending a piece of media (which, you will see I never actually did) and make up your own story shows what an absolute shitshow /v/ has become.

I miss 2007, when people actually read the comments before responding to them.

You colossal bell-end.
>>
>>384058893
why do I have to support any of those pieces of shit? Can I not spend my money at all?
>>
>>384074810
Just present I said enjoy or dislike because I wasn't insinuating you had any opinion towards the OST one way or another.
>>
>>384075152

What? ESL-kun, you're not making any sense here. The poster I was responding to (in the edge case that's not you) was >>384074037
who automatically assumed that I, as they put it, "enjoy[ed] something that is objectively bad". I was simply annoyed about the fact that so many faggots on here seem to think that adding the word 'objectively' into their own subjective opinions adds some logical gravitas. It does not.
>>
Fuck VR, fuck steam market and fuck Dota/CS

Remove these things and Valve would be good again
>>
>>384075643
I said that you "can" enjoy something that is objectively bad. It was purely hypothetical and wasn't insinuating your opinion towards anything. The statement was made with the implication that the reverse was just was true (disliking something that is objectively good).

Reading comprehension.
>>
>>384076125

For fuck's sakes, can someone teach you remedial English?

The fact that somefag on here asserts that item X is objectively bad has no logical weight, because it is presented without evidence. Therefore I call out the use of the word 'objectively', which requires a higher degree of proof than someone pressing letters on a keyboard.

Either the point in question is objectively bad, in which case there should be some evidence to produce. Put up, or shut up.

Or, which seems more likely to be the case seeing as I'm getting all these responses, you haven't a leg to stand on and are trying to weasel your way out of your default logical stance, which is 'because I say so'.

So: are you going to provide evidence that the soundtrack is objectively bad, admit to being a shitposter, or go on another tangent? Your call.
>>
>>384077098
You had a problem with me insinuating that you enjoyed the OST even though you never claimed to enjoy the OST. That's all cleared up.
>>
>>384077347

I had s problem with [someone] suggesting the OST was "objectively bad" while providing no evidence or substance to support it.

That is all.
>>
>>384057936
Why do they even bother with a new Source engine? So the TF2 hats will look more flashy?
>>
>>384057936
i like the art style in portal 1 better

also portal 2 taking place in the HL universe just isn't believable
>>
>>384061190
>Show me a game with more sublime graphics, with more perfectly pitched and clear art direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haXIj_j4asw
>>
>>384059196
I would rather Steam not exist either way. Physical copies were great.
>>
>>384081641
Maybe we'd have a push for fucking bluray releases on PC instead of PC releases which is one DVD which only contains a Steam installer and a serial key to download it.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.