[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many of you noticed that the Colonel was acting like a stiff

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 15

File: 250px-Metalgear2boxart.jpg (28KB, 250x354px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Metalgear2boxart.jpg
28KB, 250x354px
How many of you noticed that the Colonel was acting like a stiff weirdo robot right from the get go? I sure as fuck didn't.
>>
I honestly didn't get it until he started glitching, I just assumed it was shit-tier writing like the rest of the game.
>>
>>384035641
I sure as fuck didn't get it until it was too late. I was about to turn my PS2 off even.
>>
I noticed his delivery wasn't as rugged as in MGS1 but I thought it was just recording/delivery differences. Especially since in general MGS1 has really intense but fuzzy VA.
>>
>>384037768
big dumb idiot 13-year old me thought "Oh I bet this is like a thing like with the Mantis tricks in the first one, I bet if I turn it off it'll fix it."

Then I turned it off and back on and nothing changed and I hadn't even saved and I felt like shit.
>>
>>384035641
I hear its amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hari Kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!
>>
i didn't, but i played it when i was young. i recently forced a friend who wasn't into vidya into playing it, and he picked up on the weird delivery right away, like in the sediment pool at the beginning of the game. he was like "what? he sounds weird, somethings up isn't there..." i told him to just call campbell again and test again. the next call wasn't as offputting as the when he noticed, so he brushed it off. thank god, too. i was sweating so hard when he picked up on it.
>>
>>384035641
>How many of you noticed that the Colonel was acting like a stiff weirdo robot right from the get go?

Not really.

I was thinking he was hiding something because he did the same in MGS1 but I did not expect this retarded crap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul8j9I90ueM
>>
I was suspicious because in MGS1 the Colonel says that he's going to be arrested or some shit, and then in 2 he's in charge of Foxhound again.
>>
>>384047175
it wasn't really the same as in 1. in 2 they actually had campbell's lines in the same conversation get mixed differently, so that none of his dialogue was entirely consistent. this was not done in 1..
>>
>>384047730
>it wasn't really the same as in 1

I just assumed he was hiding something. Never picked up on the lines being mixed in weird.
>>
>>384041315

I turned it off cause I felt bad because he said is that all you're doing with your life. Then I was like wtf, FUCK YOU CAMPBELL and turn it back on.
>>
>>384047552
No, the Secretary of Defense, Jim Houseman had Campbell arrested during the climax because Campbell realized Jim was gonna fucking nuke the place, so he tried to delay the chain of command to buy Snake some time. When Solidus realized what a fucking nutjob Jim was he arrested him and exonerated Campbell.

But there are actual clues throughout MGS2, like occasional audio glitches in Campbell's voice, him repeating Mei Ling's dialogue on the codec word for word. Raiden is told he is part of Foxhound repeatedly but when you listen in on Solidus with the D-Mic he questions the intruder's presence in the Foxhound suit because Foxhound was disbanded years ago.
>>
>>384035641
Playing this game with the understanding that the Patriots are trying to deceive you puts a lot of light onto conversations even in the early game where the Colonel deflects even basic questions Raiden asks

I love this game so much
>>
>>384049934

Have you seen Superbunny review of it? It made me love this game so much more. Best review of a videogame I've ever seen.
>>
>>384047175
Watching this makes me want to replay it again.
>>
I did, in 1 he was snake's best friend, but in 2 he was talking like he never knew him. I guess that could be chalked up to snake being labeled a dangerous terrorist, but I figured colonel knew that wasn't true because he knew what really had happened at shadow moses.
>>
>>384050489
>superrbunnyhop basically stole everything from a bunch of essays that people wrote
>he links the sources in the video description
he's got a strangely soothing voice, but stop praising it so much.
also
>needing another person's analysis to make you really love the game
faggot
>>
>>384037768
>>384041315
you need to turn it off to get the alternate ending
>>
>>384052605

>being this mad
>>
>>384053369
>thinking this is mad
why do pussies have such a low tolerance for aggression?
>>
File: DDUb5t2VwAAk2rK.jpg (31KB, 583x500px) Image search: [Google]
DDUb5t2VwAAk2rK.jpg
31KB, 583x500px
>>384053836
>>
There are TONS of little hints, even the first ever codec conv. It's far more obvious in Japanese (Eiding does a good job but he's more subtle), the delivery is tons more stiff than the one in MGS1, and when he goes "when we need to reach you -- contact you" in Japanese he says "reach you -- I mean, contact you" because the A.I. fucked up the quote from MGS1 and is trying to fix it on the go (this comes back through Arsenal), why would the real Campbell do something that autistic? Of course, only real fans would catch this bit.

>>384049589
Actually, it was Ames who arrested Jim, he was also responsible for blackmailing Campbell by sending Meryl to the base. Houseman was also silently capped some time later. Ames was basically the Patriots' cold calculated eyes during the whole op, but he let Nastasha go so I guess he still had a modicum of feelings.
>>
>>384055215
YOUR ROLE- that is MISSION.
>>
>>384055215
>It's far more obvious in Japanese

people also said this shit about how the English voice acting ruined Raiden. I listened to him in Japanese, he still seemed like a whiny rookie.
>>
>>384057662
Nah, Japanese Raiden sounds like a fellow which you can put a lot of trust into, always serious in tone, and collected.

Quinton makes Raiden sound like a bad saturday morning reluctant hero with permanently enabled sarcasm. There's a reason why MGS2 Raiden was panned here (le managed to avoid drowning) while he was bretty cool in Japan, except for he "new snake" ruse.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf55UsXrFvA

I wonder why they didn't do the Mr. X voice change in the English version. Like whenever he quotes Gray Fox's lines from MGS1 the voice also shifts into Gray Fox's.
>>
>Raiden keeps gushing about how great VR training is and how you can't tell it apart from reality
>Campbell says Snake is not a part of the simulation
>HUD glitchiness in that one part
>story is about re experiencing MGS1 to make another Big Boss
>mission is actually not a simulation and all that buildup was for nothing
Why?
>>
I knew something was off whenever he got triggered when Raiden mentioned Snake. I didn't think he was a robot but I sure as hell knew he couldn't be the real Colonel. The real Colonel wouldn't tell you to avoid Snake
>>
>>384059475
because I hanker for a hunk a CHEESE when you get up and go
>>
File: colonel.png (96KB, 252x376px) Image search: [Google]
colonel.png
96KB, 252x376px
Honestly though... You have played the game for a long time. Don't you have anything else to do with your time?
>>
>>384059475
Who knows, these tidbits were still in the script though, to me it just makes Japanese the definitive version of MGS2, among other little things.

He later quotes the DARPA chief in that video, and his voice also switches to MGS1 mode. Incidentally, both the chief and Gray Fox were voiced by Greg Eagles, so that would have been cool as fuck.

Japanese has also some returning VAs for different roles, which is crazy when you see they're actually parallels.

Meryl - Olga
Anderson (Octopus) - Ames
Baker - President Johnson

And the list may go on. We got the short end of the ruse stick.

>>384060440
You just didn't get MGS2, sorry. It's a common issue, this time try to listen through painfully thorough exposition.

Also, the "HUD" glitching inside Arsenal could have been illusions generated by the the nanomachines inside Raiden's brain who were relaying info from GW, the purest source of everything regarding Arsenal Gear.

If you meant "It looks real/VR, but is it really VR/real? What is real and not?" congratulations, you summed up the moral of the story, which wasn't meant to have sequels until death threats and executive pushing cane about.
>>
Campbell has the same stuff acting in MGS 4. He doesn't sound like the real thing.
>>
>>384062081
Well, when my get-up-and-go has got up and went, I hanker for a hunk o' cheese That's right I hanker for a hunk of, a slab or slice or chunk of, I hanker for a hunk o’ cheese!
>>
File: colonelAI.jpg (310KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
colonelAI.jpg
310KB, 600x600px
Anon, Something happened to me last night when I was driving home. I had a couple of miles to go. I looked up and saw a glowing orange object in the sky. It was moving irregularly. Suddenly, there was intense light all around. And when I came to, I was home. What do you think happened to me?
>>
>>384062149
>You just didn't get MGS2, sorry. It's a common issue, this time try to listen through painfully thorough exposition.
>
>Also, the "HUD" glitching inside Arsenal could have been illusions generated by the the nanomachines inside Raiden's brain who were relaying info from GW, the purest source of everything regarding Arsenal Gear.
>
>If you meant "It looks real/VR, but is it really VR/real? What is real and not?" congratulations, you summed up the moral of the story, which wasn't meant to have sequels until death threats and executive pushing cane about.
All of this is wrong sorry. MGS4 retconned everything about MGS2 and now it's supposed to be taken straight.
>>
>>384035641
I feel it didn't really work, since his voice actor has a pretty stiff voice. He's a "press x buttan" tutorial kind of guy. And it's kind of hard to compare to MGS 1, where they had a really different recording environment, and where the translation was overall so much better.
>>
>>384062149
>You just didn't get MGS2

MGS2 fanboys in a nutshell. Complain about the story and the faboys close their ears and show "YOU DIDN'T GET IT"
>>
>>384062331
Campbell sounds like any other actor in MGS4 did, by which I mean unnaturally stretching EVERY line to match the original's lenght, while not bothering to localize the script so that everything sounded more like talking and not reading. What a trainwreck, another game which absolutely shines in Japanese.
>>
File: colonel2.jpg (349KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
colonel2.jpg
349KB, 600x600px
Actually, I am in really bad shape financially. I pay money to my ex-wife as part of our divorce settlement, among other bills... I just had no choice but to make you pay for lunch the other day. I'm really sorry.
>>
>>384062149
>If you meant "It looks real/VR, but is it really VR/real? What is real and not?" congratulations, you summed up the moral of the story
But it never even brought up that question. It was like it was building up to a plot twist about that but never delivered.
>>
File: 1473135051379.gif (2MB, 176x263px) Image search: [Google]
1473135051379.gif
2MB, 176x263px
Colonel, are you under orders from the Patriots?
>>
>>384062685
You're cute, escaping reading comprehension like that.

>>384062871
>Raiden keeps gushing about how great VR training is and how you can't tell it apart from reality
Turns out Raiden also had tons of field experience, and fake Campbell insists on how VR training is the best thing ever.

>Campbell says Snake is not a part of the simulation
He technically isn't, his presence was arranged by Liquid, while every other character was there because the Patriots wanted it, from Solidus to president Johnson, from the Gurlukovich army to Dead Cell.

>HUD glitchiness in that one part
Soliton Radar was operated by GW, they even sorta of tell you so when you first log into the node or when you're confronting the Harrier.

>story is about re experiencing MGS1 to make another Big Boss
Straight up false.

>mission is actually not a simulation
It was a simulation, of Shadow Moses, what is the fucking plot?

You're right, I should have said he wrote it.
>>
I sure did, and he was way too cold. But I thought that was because he was more warm to a long time acquaintance like Snake unlike Raiden, who is a kid he just met.
>>
File: 19Colonels.jpg (42KB, 339x449px) Image search: [Google]
19Colonels.jpg
42KB, 339x449px
>>384064120
>Colonel, are you under orders from the Patriots?

Yes, Raiden. I give out orders given to me by the greatest Patriot of all. Tom Brady
>>
File: 71596670.png (139KB, 499x464px) Image search: [Google]
71596670.png
139KB, 499x464px
She didn't deserve to die
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spK26Tyk380
>>
This game is a masterpiece

And no, I never saw it coming. I just dissed campbell's monotonous tone as him just being distant from raiden. I never compared it to his MGS1 self because his relationship with snake was obviously different

Besides, an AI? Rose was supposedly there too, and she didn't sound robotic at all. All those little details about their romance obviously threw me off
>>
>>384035641
By the point where he is lying to you that Snake isn't alive and keeps repeating to follow the mission, its obvious.
>>
The Colonel actually slowly adapts to Raiden and gets better at talking to him as the game goes on before he starts glitching out, pay attention to their first few conversations and how rough and mechanical they are and how the AI slowly adds more natural speech into the way he talks to Raiden
>>
>>384062774
MGS2 HD ports had some dialogues rerecorded to account forma different control schemes, especially for the Vita. Although Paul Eiding sounds older and the mixing equipment is noticeably differenti, you can tell he's trying to emulate the stiffness he had in MGS2, which is VERY subtle, but listening to actual MGS1, MGS3 and MGS4 Eiding Campbell side by side, you begin to get the way his delivery is less organic in MGS2, while more cold and flawless.

>>384063720
There are plenty of plot twists in Arsenal and beyond, especially in the after credits. But the VR thing was always going to be your own opinion, that's what Kojima intented with Rose from the very start, and if you think applies to the whole game, well then more power to you. The whole game is telling you to make your own choices, believe in them and pass them on.
>>
>>384064850
Rose was real until the Arsenal Gar Segment
>>
>>384064164
>You're cute
is you gay?
>>
>>384065976
maybe
>>
>>384064850
>before calling Snake for the location of the Nikita

Rose: Snake did a round of Shell 2 during bomb disposal, why don't you try asking him?
(this is only played once)

>after

Colonel: It should be on level B1 of the Shell 2 Core according to that man, hurry up and find it.
(this is played indefinitely)
>>
>>384065720
More the reason to not suspect and throw you off
>>
>>384065720
You mean until Arsenal crashes on Manhattan. Rose during Arsenal was acting very real, they just cut her off when they realized she was going to talk about the baby and that was supposedly a big no-no, and also maybe the way they could blackmail her if she strayed away from her role.

But even the last codec conv with her could be real, who knows, maybe she did really marry the Patriots' cause. That was never going to be answered.
>>
>>384035641
I noticed it with Rose but not the Colonel. I actually thought it was just bad voice acting though.
>>
>>384058770
>Quinton makes Raiden sound like a bad saturday morning reluctant hero with permanently enabled sarcasm. There's a reason why MGS2 Raiden was panned here (le managed to avoid drowning) while he was bretty cool in Japan, except for he "new snake" ruse.

I prefer dorky Raiden
>>
>>384064612
she's was cute
>>
>>384064612
My waifu gets killed everytime
>>
>>384055215
> Ames

did he know he was gonna die for the simulation, or he was played by the Patriots as well?
>>
>>384068034
>You mean until Arsenal crashes on Manhattan.

no, I mean when you first get brought onto Arsenal they swapped Rose from the real one to the fake one because it spouts bullshit similar to when the ruse is lifted from "Roy" and he spouts bullshit.
>>
if the big shell was a recreation of the shadow moses incident was the shadow moses incident a recreation of zanzibar land disturbance?
>>
>>384069281
Kojima made the same game 4 times in a row.
>>
>>384053836
Because it's not aggression over the Internet. It just comes off like you're bitching. There's no intimidation factor.
>>
>>384058770
Apparently Quinton is a huge asshole and a complete pain in the ass to work with from a bunch of different interviews I've read. He kinda sounds like he'd be a cunt just from his voice
>>
>>384069281
Sorta but not really. But sortve, it's basically the same game, but Zanzibar is obviously big bosses own personal base.
>>
>>384069080
He didn't, hence why here final words were "I understand now (what's going here). Ocelot...you... (are working for them)".

Ames didn't even have keyword clearance, while Ocelot did, he was totally expendable.

>>384069180
Nah dude, you have a mess going through your head. Arsenal Roy and post Manhattan crashing Roy are two different A.I.

Nothing Rose said during Arsenal could have passed as false, she didn't even do the empty eyes thing from the final codec.

>>384069281
There are levels of irony that should never be addressed.

>>384070138
Pretty much, and each one of them is still fundamentally different from the other. Isn't that at admirable at worst?
>>
>>384070857
>Arsenal Roy and post Manhattan crashing Roy are two different A.I.

Says who? The A.I.? That might be another lie. You know, the thing the A.I. specializes in?

Besides, I for some reason take Roy before the reveal and AI Roy as different people for some reason. The virus caused so much crazy shit to happen that I stopped caring near the end between that and the crazy shift in tone.
>>
Is MGS2 actually the best MGS after all?
>>
>>384072092
arsenal is pretty good, the rest of the game is the worst mainline mgs
>>
>>384035641
It becomes pretty obvious when he says Raiden's name, since it's identical in most cases, like if he said it once, then it was just copy and pasted into other sentences.
>>
File: georgesears.jpg (303KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
georgesears.jpg
303KB, 500x750px
>>384072092
story-wise?

ye

gameplay wise?

Big Shell is fucking boring and so are most of the boss fights
>>
>>384071110
I see your post in every last goddamned MGS2 thread and you have no idea how it pisses me off. Like really I'm already pissed off because I'm forced to phonepost since my PC died in December and touchscreens are devil incarnate because I could write serialized shows with the speed it takes for me to write a single post that doesn't read like ass with fucking autocorrect shitting all over and bs and ns in place of spaces you always come here with the same copypasted crap about why you should take any exposition from Kojimbles the man who makes the subtle not subtle and why everything turned in LE CUHRAZY (even if Otacon literally explains why the Colonel behaves like that and even found the source of the signal) but NO your brain is too tiny to ever consider keeping suspense of disbelief so you immediately turn your back on anything on everything you don't like, see only the things you like and for yourself alone.
You are literally worse than the Patriots because you keep pushing your own stupid headcanon as objective where you could at least not blame it on the game for having oh so quirky tone shifts but on your own ADD level attention span.

Believe what you want, that's your right, and expect me to correct your stupid crap every time, but now, just for this thread, please fuck off.
>>
>>384073287
>so are most of the boss fights
But that goes for every MGS game if you think about it.
>>
Wasnt both rose and colonel real till the end game?

Specially with MGS4 story, this seem to be the case.
>>
>>384035641
I didn't because it's subtle. Credit to the VA, he was excellent at sounding somewhat "monotone" without the player catching on
>>
>>384035641
Earlier in the game he says simulation once or twice instead of mission. I knew something was up then but didn't know what. Forgot about it but he starts saying off things more frequently as the game progresses. I didn't guess anything correctly about what he was oranyhting though
>>
>>384073298
are you an AI corrupted by a virus?
>>
>>384072349
Probably because it's one of the few things Jack didn't know in advance and GW was forced to forward the name "Raiden" to his brain, which was not an optimal thing to do.
>>
>>384037589
brainlet detected
>>
File: maddogofshimano.jpg (206KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
maddogofshimano.jpg
206KB, 768x1024px
>mfw the series was never as hopeful past this point
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lieJIxJZs1M
>>
>>384073534
the Vamp fight was good, because it allowed freedom to choose your method, much like the ones in Snake Eater
>>
>>384073986
Anon, simulation = planned, expected outcome of the mission objectives under the best conditions, mission = actual thing, not an excercise
>>
>>384074986
the Vamp fight was a pain. I think I ended up using the grenade launcher to cheese it since bullets were useless
>>
>>384075185
>since bullets were useless

And that's the reason grendes exploded next to you when fighting Mantis, so you couldn't cheese through.

Funny though the one gimmick (changing controller ports) is very well known but there are still people wondering what Vamp's gimmick was, or even that he had any.
>>
>>384075102
still though the dude has a point, it's definitely a calculated use of the word "simulation" to plant that plot thread as early as possible
>>
The fight with sniper skulls was the only good boss fight in mgsv
>>
>>384075606
>but there are still people wondering what Vamp's gimmick was, or even that he had any.

does he have one outside of the shadow pin crap?
>>
>>384075795
Using lock-on makes him invulnerable, because it makes your muscles go on autopilot so he can plan where the bullets are going to land because human muscles are quite eloquent (actual quote).

You can absolutely kill him with bullets, except from the times he's covered in that red aura. Just don't lock on.
>>
>>384076587
there's a lock on in MGS2?
>>
File: gooboy unglassed.gif (3MB, 660x520px) Image search: [Google]
gooboy unglassed.gif
3MB, 660x520px
>yfw you noticed the codec signal bars forming a pistol pointed at Raiden's head
>>
Which one of the visions would you have lived under:
>Zero's
>Big Boss
>Soldius
>>
>>384058770
Raiden sounding like a whiny bitch really adds a lot to his character, given what Kojima was trying to achieve with MGS2.
>>
>>384076692
I also found out about it when I saw people discussing the vamp fight. It trivialises the entire game (even the vamp fight, just let go of the lock on before firing)
>>
File: 18.png (75KB, 937x466px) Image search: [Google]
18.png
75KB, 937x466px
>>384051596
>mfw got this on my vita so i can play this in bed
>>
File: 1499943763019.gif (104KB, 500x370px) Image search: [Google]
1499943763019.gif
104KB, 500x370px
>>384077629
>mfw the Vita version actually has less bugs than the PS3/360 version and codec calls are instaload

Just too bad you can't use PS2 controls.
>>
>>384070652
Proof?
>>
>>384073298
Copypasta?
>>
>>384078879
>>384078879
its not that bad
ive gotten used to it enough that i almost aced all the vr missions
im just stuck on the meryl sniping one
but seriously, it has less bugs than the ps3 version? thats insane
>>
>>384070652
HEEEEEY CAWN UNNN
>>
File: deadhound.jpg (42KB, 477x598px) Image search: [Google]
deadhound.jpg
42KB, 477x598px
>>384078879
>>384079413
does the legacy collection for ps3 have a lot of bugs?!?! fuck, i just ordered it for a friend!

it's still playable/acceptable though right?

plz respond
>>
>>384081550
i never noticed anything
mgs2 was a rock solid 60 fps no matter what
mgs3 had some drops, but never went under 40 fps if my eyes were right
peacewalker was always 60 fps since its a psp game
but as for bugs i couldnt tell
i had the legacy and the regular collection and i felt it was always a great buy
Thread posts: 103
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.