[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i'm thinking of making a game with game maker. can anyone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

File: thumbnail_yoyo_games.png (5KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
thumbnail_yoyo_games.png
5KB, 200x200px
i'm thinking of making a game with game maker. can anyone give me some tips?
>>
>>383992467
Open world zombie survivial pvp multiplayer
>>
watch a lot of youtube tutorials
>>
>>383992624
don't forget crafting and rpg elements
oh, and don't bother finishing it before putting it up for sale on steam
>>
Put dinosaurs in it.
>>
Make a clone of pong, then make short ripoffs of other simple classic games. Don't even bother with your game idea until you have a good plan for it.
>>
>>383992467
don't use dnd, learn gml from the get-go
like >>383993045 said
youtube videos are fine but personal experience is even better. Start small, and use middle mouse click on the functions or stuff you don't know about.
Learn about the order of events in your game. Read up the 'with' construction, this shit is powerful as fuck and very useful.
What kind of game do you want to do? If you want to make a rpg read into arrays and ds_lists.

don't give up anon.
>>
>>383992467
https://docs.yoyogames.com/source/dadiospice/index.html is your new bible
>>
download a shitload of open source files and study them
>>
>>383992467
Anon, have you ever coded before ? Is it your first time using Game Maker ? Do you have a license ? What kind of game you want to do ?
>>
>>383992467
One - don't listen to anybody and jump off a cliff
>>
>>383996295
don't ask him - if he genuinely wanted to make a game, whe would make a game, not this thread
>>
don't user gamemaker is the best tip
>>
>>383996295
OP here.

The game I want to make is an RPG. Something that'll hit hard. Essentially, I've always seen games where you gotta kill or let the final boss apologise for what they did.

Instead, I want the protagonist to fall in love with the final boss.

new game+ will give you the ability to fucking obliterate with your new significant other
>>
>>383998603
Ah yes, starting with an idea about new game+.
Literally nothing can go wrong.
>>
>>383998603
>The game I want to make is an RPG
If you want to use a turn battle system, just use RPG Maker.
Else, start with game maker with a "game" that let your character walk in a map (with the arrow keys, learn about object movement here https://docs.yoyogames.com/source/dadiospice/002_reference/movement%20and%20collisions/movement/index.html), in order to have a working camera you'll need to learn about views ( https://docs.yoyogames.com/source/dadiospice/002_reference/windows%20and%20views/views/index.html )
>>
>>384000419 here
I'll give more tips about this exercise
First, you need to understand how objects, maps and ressources works in GameMaker
Then, you'll need only one object : the player
This object need to change it's position (x or y values) when you hit an arrow key, you'll detect this with a script in the "step" event
Next, you'll need a map for your player, on this map you'll setup views and a background (use
for instance a random pic of your favourite anime girl, it's only to see the player object moving)
Finally, you'll put a player object on the map and run the game
>>
>>383992467
If you actually want to make a game and not just practice by making pong clones then make the art/music whatever first. The programming is by far the easiest part.
>>
>>383998603
It's probably not a good idea to start out with an RPG. If you do you should make sure to keep it small scale.
>>
>>383992467
youtube guides(heartbeast) and tinkering with already made games.
>>
File: 1456882037503.jpg (3MB, 3216x2136px) Image search: [Google]
1456882037503.jpg
3MB, 3216x2136px
>>383992467
Learn to program and ditch gamemaker. You're not only restricting yourself with that engine, but you're also telling the world you were too retarded to do basic programming. Nobody expects a good game from someone like that.
>>
>>384002046
>what is undertale, hotline miami and risk of rain
>>
Prototype, prototype, prototype.

Make a project where you can just walk around and pick up items. Transfer those scripts to a new project where you have dialogue with an NPC and the NPC moves around or whatever. Make a project that begins and ends in a single battle with enemies. Then make a project that starts in the overworld and triggers your battle scripts to play. keep doing this incrementally until you understand how all of the moving parts work. read lots of tutorials. if you go in trying to make a fully-fledged game as your first project you will get burned out and not notice the incremental progress. even stardew valley took multiple years to make
>>
>>384002046
t. man who has never opened gamemaker in his life
>>
Don't use gamemaker.
yes, you'll be able to make a basic game but for anything complex you'll soon run into lots of complications due to the way there is no enforced encapsulation, everything becoming a horribly entangled spaghetti mess.

You need discipline to be able to make good games with game maker, time better spent learning a serious programming language instead
>>
>>384002615
No, you just write it like C without structs. Use 5 different arrays to represent 5 values for one struct for 5 instances.

Although I think it's better to use Unity or Unreal at this point.
>>
>>384002046
This
You are restricted to the confines of game maker
>>
>>384002841
As I said, discipline.

I had to make a game in game maker for a while and I just couldn't resist completely breaking encapsulation just to quickly get some values I needed, I paid the price by the code becoming a clusterfuck really fast.
>>
>>384003027
You can write a clusterfuck in anything though.
>>
>>384004009
you can write an even worse clusterfuck in GM
>>
This is gonna be a gargantuan task to take I suppose. But, I'll give it a shot. If I ever make this game, you'll probably see a Kickstarter about it once I get a rudimentary demo going. I'm shooting for somewhere in 2020(that too long for any of you?). The reason for this is so that Undertale dies down by then, allowing people to move onto this instead.
>>
>>384004045
I don't think so, gm is fairly limited in it's cluster fuckery compared to places where you can redefine operators.
>>
>>384005056
I'll be surprised if you manage to actually last a month with your little project. Just started learning how to make game already instead of dreaming of the impossible on a Chinese image board.
>>
>>384005352
More power to you. Since I'm aiming for that time in the nu-20s, I should be able to consistently work in my free time.
>>
Yes. This tutorial is great.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUtKzyIe0aB2HjpmBhnsHpK7ig0z7ohWw
>>
>>383992467
Make something simple but finish it. Use ripped or public domain sprites and sounds if you can't make them yourself. The key here is to see the project to the end.
>>
>>384001013
>The programming is by far the easiest part.
This depends greatly on the game, but I'll buy that it's true for your run-of-the-mill RPG. On the other hand, my current project is a procedurally-generated exploration/survival game, and the programming is both the hardest and most essential part.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.