[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

AM2R thread. What do you think? I wasn't intending to play

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

File: am2r-another-metroid-2-remake.jpg (35KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
am2r-another-metroid-2-remake.jpg
35KB, 256x256px
AM2R thread. What do you think?
I wasn't intending to play this right away but the 3DS on which my playthrough of Super is on happens to be in another state.
>>
Brotip update 1.1 to 1.2.10 and replace the OST with the high-quality one
https://www.reddit.com/r/AM2R/comments/6hisk0/am2r_1210_update_and_am2rs_future/
>>
>>383985652
The current OST sounds pretty good. Is the update really that much better?
>>
>>383986056
>original OST: 37 MB
>updated OST: 229 MB
The original is fine but you don't have to be an audiophile to hear the difference.
>>
>>383986202
Well then. I guess I'll go ahead and do that, then.
>>
>>383985112
>AM2R thread. What do you think?
I think AM2R has and will continue to ruin all Metroid threads.
>>
It's a good game
>>
>>383985112
Fantastic remake. No reason not to play it if you're a Metroid fan.
>>
>>383985112
How would you even play this on 3ds? Did someone port it yet?
>>
>>383986627
>>383986718
5c has been added to your accounts.
>>
What are some other good Romhacks? This and Rogue Dawn are the only two I've seen talked about
>>
File: b8.png (104KB, 600x601px) Image search: [Google]
b8.png
104KB, 600x601px
>>383987683
>>
>>383987683
Hyper Metroid
Super Zero Mission
Darkholme Hospital
Eris
Redesign (Axeil Edition. Original sucks.)
Ice Metal Uninstall
Escape II
Phazon Hack
Project Base
Rotation
Digital Cube
And a whole bunch that I haven't listed because there's too many to remember.
>>
>>383988226
I don't understand, this is a romhack discussion thread, what's the problem?
>>
File: Metroid Sprites 2x BG - D.png (224KB, 1287x1770px) Image search: [Google]
Metroid Sprites 2x BG - D.png
224KB, 1287x1770px
>>383988226
He's not wrong. Hacks are almost never talked about in Metroid threads.
>>
>>383988272
>>383988334
On the off chance that neither of you actually know, AM2R is not a romhack
>>
>>383988695
Oh.
I get it now. It's the way anon worded his post.
I stand by what I said, though. Hacks are never discussed, and there are some good ones out there.
>>
>>383988695
It basically is.
>>
>>383988695
Technically not, but it follows in the same spirit as a romhack.
>>
>>383985112
I was honestly really impressed with it, pretty much everything I wanted out of a proper Metroid 2 update.

>>383986269
>>383987348
Can we just rename /v/ to /shills/ now? It's all I see is corporate cocksucking on the entire board even for the net neutrality shit.
>>
>>383989192
People you dislike != shills
>>
>>383989315
t. shill
>>
>>383985112
Was a great fan game.
Milton (the creator of AM2R) made an amazing job considerating than he made this game in his free time (he is a music producer so he is a busy guy).
Now I am waiting for his kickstarter, he already say than is gonna be a metroidvania with a Female protagonist using the Unity engine.
>>
>>383985112
another state? what?
>>
>>383989113
then how the fuck is it 70 mb?
>>
>>383988334
I'd love super hack that controlled exactly like am2r
>>
>>383990229
>with a Female protagonist
dropped
>>
>>383990378
Control Freak is close enough.
>>
>>383989913
Meant for >>383990229
>>
For people that only see black screen when starting the game.
Press Alt-Enter.
For me it fixed by enabling Vsync, then fullscreen works again.
>>
>>383985112
The soundtrack is mismatched for a Metroid game, the bosses end up being either silly or dull, the artstyle is an awkward mix between Zero Mission and Super, the map design isn't brilliant, the entire powerbomb segment was contrived and stupid, certain things from the original were changed for no good reason.

It's a good game, probably one of the best fangames out there, but it's not close to being the pinnacle of the series like some people claim.
>>
>>383991889
this
>>
>>383986056
Link to current OST?
>>
>>383987348
Are you retarded? The game is free. It doesn't even remotely try to stop you from buying Samus Returns.
>>
>less than 10 posters shitting on it
>less than 10 people bothering to defend it
It was a good fan game, and a good remake, but there's really nothing to talk about anymore. It was a good thing that happened. The time to discuss it has passed.
>>
>>383991889
>The soundtrack is mismatched for a Metroid game
Yes.
>the bosses end up being either silly or dull
Disagree.
> the artstyle is an awkward mix between Zero Mission and Super
Agree, only slightly, but agree.
>the map design isn't brilliant
Agree but i dont blame the dev. He wanted a remake. Not a reboot of Metroid 2. He could only do so much.
>the entire powerbomb segment was contrived and stupid
You mean like literally every fucking escape sequence? it was a nice tense moment of action just for the sake of it. I liked it.
>certain things from the original were changed for no good reason
I would agree, but again. There is only so much you can do to remake a GB game with no imagination.

>It's a good game, probably one of the best fangames out there, but it's not close to being the pinnacle of the series like some people claim.

I would say the best, but IMO although AM2R has the best controls for a metroid game since its on PC, Metroid Zero Mission remains my fav metroid.
>>
I love it and am looking forward to his next game
>>
the controls were 11/10
>>
>>383985112
I very much enjoyed it. AM2R might actually be my favorite 2D Metroid.
>>
>>383988334
Why is super justin bailey holding a plate and a drink ?
>>
File: ahaha.jpg (23KB, 480x472px) Image search: [Google]
ahaha.jpg
23KB, 480x472px
>>383995559
>>
>>383994547
>Disagree.
The Metroid battles, Genesis and Serris were dull. Admittedly the Metroid battles were also repetitive in the original but they had the opportunity to make them more interesting in this game. And the Tester and Torizo just ventured into bullet-hell territory. There's nothing wrong with makes the player dodge lots of projectiles but there's a tasteful way to do it (e.g. the Mother Brain fights). And the Torizo suddenly growing a jetpack was silly, it's as if a 12-year old came up with the idea.

>Agree but i dont blame the dev. He wanted a remake. Not a reboot of Metroid 2. He could only do so much.
They had two options, completely redesign the map (which is what they're doing in Samus Returns) or stay somewhat faithful. They opted for the latter option which is fair enough. But then they added areas and expansions that can only be obtained with later upgrades without redesigning the map so that it's quick and easy to reach old areas. The warp pipe system weren't really placed in helpful positions either.

>You mean like literally every fucking escape sequence? it was a nice tense moment of action just for the sake of it. I liked it.
That's the point, it was "just for the sake of it". Usually an escape sequence happens at the climax of the game, when Samus has to escape the planet/station after completing her mission. In this game, they just threw one in for the sake of it. And no matter what you do you always get hit by the explosion at the end, which makes the escape sequence utterly pointless.
>>
>>383997640
>I would agree, but again. There is only so much you can do to remake a GB game with no imagination.
I was mainly talking about small things that were changed for no real reason. For example, the Metroid counter jumps from 1 to 9 when you roll under the Baby Metroid egg in the original game. This shows that the last Metroid has the ability to create more Metroids. In AM2R, the infant Metroids are shown on the counter from the start of the game, which makes the sudden pause on the screen when you pass the Metroid egg pointless. Another example would be Arachnus jumping out of an empty Chozo statue rather than posing as an item sphere. In the original, it surprised new players who thought that it was just a regular statue with a new item. In AM2R, you already know something is weird as soon as you see the empty statue. There's also the broken Chozo statue outside of the Queen's lair. In the original, it was the only broken statue in the game and held the Ice Beam, which implied that the Metroids deliberately tried to destroy it because they knew it was their one weakness. In AM2R, they relocated the Ice Beam but the broken statue is still in the same place for no reason. They're minor complaints that are hardly game-breaking, but the fact is that someone actively made the decision to change it when the game would be better without those changes makes it even more confusing.

Like I said, it's a good game. But I wouldn't put it above Super or Zero Mission. I'd even struggle to put it above Fusion.
>>
>>383997640
>And the Torizo suddenly growing a jetpack was silly, it's as if a 12-year old came up with the idea.
Now THIS i do disagree. silly? maybe. That's a good point. But on a mechanic point of view changing the entire way the battle works and giving you a fake "you win" moment was fantastic.

>The warp pipe system weren't really placed in helpful positions either.
Fair point. I agree.

>Usually an escape sequence happens at the climax of the game, when Samus has to escape the planet/station after completing her mission
*cough*Super metroid*cough*

>In this game, they just threw one in for the sake of it
I agree that there isn't much point for it on the pace-wise. However i still like it and i think that the map design for it and location was great.

>And no matter what you do you always get hit by the explosion at the end, which makes the escape sequence utterly pointless.
On my first playthrough i would argue that it gives you a false sense of "you fucked up anyways" and it gives you a lot of sense of urgency when you are still alive but barely, On later playthroughs, however, i agree. It loses the effect after the first time.

>the Metroid counter jumps from 1 to 9 when you roll under the Baby Metroid egg in the original game. This shows that the last Metroid has the ability to create more Metroids
Never noticed this, but it doesn't make much sense. Its never explained the way metroids reproduce and the most useful data is that metroids go from larvaes to omega metroids and THEN lay eggs.
>>
>>383997846
Oh jeeze it's this fag who thinks the Metroids destroyed a statue on purpose.
>>
>>383997640

>the infant Metroids are shown on the counter from the start of the game, which makes the sudden pause on the screen when you pass the Metroid egg pointless
I kinda agree but at the same time i kinda dont, since you are still not quite sure exactly where they are, and sometimes i got a little surprise by finding them where i didn't expect them.

>Another example would be Arachnus jumping out of an empty Chozo statue rather than posing as an item sphere
No argument here. I agree.

>In the original, it was the only broken statue in the game and held the Ice Beam, which implied that the Metroids deliberately tried to destroy it because they knew it was their one weakness
You are giving metroids a little bit too much credit on their intelligence.

>I'd even struggle to put it above Fusion.

I'd put anything above fusion. Fuck that game.

But you know what's the saddest thing of the entire ordeal? even if the developer agrees with you and wants to do those changes that you think would improve on the game, he cant. Because he isn't allowed to keep working on the game.
>>
>>383998240
They did. Why can't you appreciate environmental storytelling? It was one of the few things that Metroid II did well.
>>
>>383998345
P R O V E I T
>>
>>383998227
>cough*Super metroid*cough*
The Ceres escape sequence happens when you're forced to escape the station after Ridley steals the Metroid egg and sets off the self-destruct sequence. Them another one happens right at the end of the game. Each one happens for a reason and usually Samus isn't the one who personally triggers the explosion. Fusion also had some escape sequences in the middle of the game too, but those were triggered by SA-X and they were all story-related. In AM2R I believe the Power Bombs are actually optional, meaning that Samus blows up a section of the planet for no reason. I'm not even questioning why there would be power bombs lying around a sector that can be blown up with a single power bomb, or why the Chozo had a weird bird robot tank that suddenly wakes up after you start to blow up the sector.
>>
How do you even read this? Amtwor?
>>
>>383999413
>wtf is this? yoosa? what a dumb name for a country
>>
>>383999413
a. m. two. r.
>>
>>383998275
>But you know what's the saddest thing of the entire ordeal? even if the developer agrees with you and wants to do those changes that you think would improve on the game, he cant. Because he isn't allowed to keep working on the game.
The game was in development for a number of years and had reasonable attention around it for the majority of that time. Nintendo only decided to "kill" the project after a finished version was released. There was nothing preventing him from delaying the game to make it as good as it could have been, but he decided to push out the game for the 20th anniversary of Metroid. And official games wouldn't receive patches that make the game significantly better. If you want to compare AM2R to the official games then you need to solely look at the base game rather than what could potentially be added with hacks and updates.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.