[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was PC gaming like back in the 90s? I didn't get into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

File: 90s computing.jpg (191KB, 977x689px) Image search: [Google]
90s computing.jpg
191KB, 977x689px
What was PC gaming like back in the 90s? I didn't get into PC till around 2006, I was console before that.
>>
>You will never have another monitor with zero input lag and can actually display the color black
LCD was mistake.
>>
>>383965096

it was glorious. i used to order games through a magazine. you would get hard disks, and the installers were usually dos based. it was satisfying watching that install bar fill up.

games and hardware were progressing pretty quick. going from catacombs abyss and commander keen to 2.5d/3d games like doom and quake was exciting as hell. i could go on and on
>>
File: my_big_box_pc_games.jpg (195KB, 800x539px) Image search: [Google]
my_big_box_pc_games.jpg
195KB, 800x539px
>>383965096
>Boxes
>Manuals
>CompUSA
>Sound drivers
>TCP/IP
>>
File: Jagged Alliance 2.jpg (235KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Jagged Alliance 2.jpg
235KB, 1000x1000px
>>383965096

It was pretty magical

Gaming just seemed to get better and better each year

Microsoft produced amazing games and peripherals

Shareware was a thing

LANS/Modem to Modem Multiplayer

You could make $200+ a week if you were one of the few people who owned a CD burner

You had to shut your computer down before you could shut your computer down

Upgrading RAM took months of saving, dissembling half your PC and cutting your hands all to shit
>>
>>383965690

I found out a local community college had a BBS set up. I connected to that and found other BBS numbers. Eventually found people to connect with to play some dukematches or quake. great times
>>
>>383965096
Online gamers were rare and saw each other as equals. There were no memes, ecelebs or bants. Just nerds playing games.
>>
File: 90s lan party.jpg (112KB, 1200x885px) Image search: [Google]
90s lan party.jpg
112KB, 1200x885px
>>
>>383965096
Is that Jeb?
>>
File: theOnlyGirl.jpg (139KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
theOnlyGirl.jpg
139KB, 960x720px
>>383966354
>>
>>383966354
Every time.
>>
It was worse than it is now
>>
File: pc was a mistake.jpg (51KB, 786x442px) Image search: [Google]
pc was a mistake.jpg
51KB, 786x442px
>>383965096
I never fell for the PC meme, but judging from these pics it looks somehow even more autistic and uncomfy than it is now.
>>
>>383965096
in the 90ies you would get shat on by normies for being a geek today these normies are playing "vidya" and are such cancerous little fucks we the former geeks shit on them and bully them instead of vice versa
>>
>>383967412
What is she even doing there? I mean, really?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.