[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Soulslike a genre? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx7 BWayWu08

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 8

File: 52733.jpg (19KB, 350x231px) Image search: [Google]
52733.jpg
19KB, 350x231px
Is Soulslike a genre?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx7BWayWu08
>>
>Is it a genre
No.
>why?
1. He admitted to never playing Demon's Souls and has no right to classify
2. At the core Souls games are Action RPGs. There is absolutely nothing new done by the Souls series bar the online system. If that is enough to classify an entirely new genre than PSO1 invented the Phantasy Star Online-like genre because the Monster Hunter franchise uses the HUB and Guild Card system despite playing nothing alike.
3. His definition of what makes a "Soulslike" on his closing graph can be easily attributed to so many action and action RPGs that came before it that he did not describe anything new.
>>
it is a sub genre
>>
Yes. Crash Bandicoot is a good example.
>>
Its becoming a subgenre, kinda like Metroidvania.
>>
>>383955219
The term is "Diablo clone"
>>
>>383955219
aRPG is the genre, Souls didn't invent it and didn't even popularize it.

You can use it to describe the wave of indie and AA clones that's off the charts, I guess, but even then I'd rather not discourage people taking inspiration from that instead of making another lame low res platformer or Earthbound inspired clusterfuck.
>>
>>383955219
It's an ARPG what is with fagget millenials always trying to categorize every little thing.
>>
>>383955538
actually, the online system isn't even entirely unique. The low-communication level based co-op system (minus invasions) was already done (and arguably better) in the Resident Evil: Outbreak games
>>
>>383955538
>>Is it a genre
>No.
>>why?
>1. He admitted to never playing Demon's Souls and has no right to classify
You have mental problems.
>>
>>383955538
This. Souls didn't really invent anything. I enjoy the games but even I'll acknowledge that.

>>383955759
Metroidvania kind of has an excuse, though. It's a subgenre that's defined by heavy item/upgrade usage to explore previously inaccessible parts of a map. "Soulslikes" are just a collection of somewhat similar Action RPGs that have taken some level of influence from the Souls games. It's no more a genre than "Earthboundlikes".
>>
>>383955219
Ninja Gaiden clone genre then
>>
>>383955219
they're action rpgs that got a couple outright clones
>>
>>383955538
>>Is it a genre
>No.
>>why?
>1. He admitted to never playing Demon's Souls and has no right to classify
But he did play it, it's one of his earlier vids
>>
action rpgs have been around forever. what the fuck.
>>
File: IMG_0201.jpg (75KB, 940x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0201.jpg
75KB, 940x768px
>Dad hears about Dark Souls at work
>wants to play it so I buy it for him on steam
>walk him through it teach him the basics
>a week later
>anon this game is hard
>can't kill Capra demon
>I need an easier game Anon
>buy him Mordor since that's the easiest game I can think of
>3 days later
>anon this game is too hard
>>
Language is fluid; it's whatever people make of it. Conversation makes the language, not the other way around

If enough people adopt and use the term 'soulslike' to describe a type of game, then yes, it's a genre
>>
>buzzword genre
>>
File: 6286-rogue-dos-front-cover.jpg (91KB, 438x659px) Image search: [Google]
6286-rogue-dos-front-cover.jpg
91KB, 438x659px
If Roguelike can be a genre why can't Souls?
>>
>>383955219
No. The "Souls" games are Action Rpgs.
>>
>>383956569
>It's a subgenre that's defined by heavy item/upgrade usage to explore previously inaccessible parts of a map.
That is what an Adventure Platformer is already classified as. Metroidvania has no excuse except for little kiddies who never owned a SNES, OG GB, or NES.
>>383956553
>>383956695
8:35
He says the exact words
"I never played it"
>>
>>383955219
Yes, Dark Souls invented action rpgs and hard games
>>
>>383956784
>his dad has a job
>his dad didn't marry a woman with a high paying career
>his dad didn't stay home to raise the children
What's it like being not only a loser, but also the son of a loser?
>>
>>383956898
Because roguelike fans are too retarded to come up with something better. Doomclone became FPS, GTA-like became sandbox, Roguelike stayed roguelike because it's a worthless genre.
>>
Hi
I'm Mark Brown
this
is
game Maker's toolkit
>>
>>383957029
There were first person shooters in the 70s.
>>
No, Souls is a fucking Dungeon Crawler.
>>
>>383956784
At least he's trying for you. Why is he trying exactly?
>>
>>383956986
Well, I mean if you really want to be exact, Metroidvania is a term that originated to describe the SotN style Castlevania games, which played a lot like Metroid games (hence, Metroidvania). The phrase just kind of spread and is now a term that people use to just describe any "Platform-adventure game". It's not so much the genre being replaced, as much as it is the terminology being replaced slowly over time. It's like how Shooters became Shmups when the FPS genre really started to boom.

That said, "Soulslike" is just a dumb excuse to release waves and waves of lazy ARPGs that don't actually do anything new with the genre, and just rehash ideas from the Souls series.
>>
>>383957478
>trying for you
He never mentioned Baneposting.
>>
>>383956784
Man, just fucking support your dad. Tell him how to play.
>>
File: 23-Marcy.gif (21KB, 300x230px) Image search: [Google]
23-Marcy.gif
21KB, 300x230px
of course, OF COURSE
mark "I sniff my own farts" Brown wasn't going to be happy with people saying soulslikes are a genre because he didn't come up with it
>>
>>383957029
>Doomclone became FPS
>Hurr durr I'm a retard who got all his info on genres from a shitty video that op posted.
Doom didn't invent the FPS. It wasn't even the first FPS of that style. The term Doomclone was popular for a time, as a way to describe the wave of FPS that copied Doom, but Doom didn't really invent shit anyway.
>GTA-like became sandbox
You are fucking retarded. Open World has been a thing since the 80s.
>>
>>383957487
>Any platform adventure game
Autists are now trying to use Metroidvania to describe any game that has minor elements of it. I've seen people trying to claim Subnautica is a metroidvania.
>>
>>383957936
>Retards say retarded things
Nothing new here. It was a trendy thing to describe anything with a leveling system as an "rpg" a few years back, and now Metroidvania is the hot new thing.
>>
Maybe the reason Roguelike is still considered a genre is because Rogue itself is already kind of stepping on several genre's toes in terms of mechanics, and straying too far from the Rogue formula just results in being labeled as one of those other genres?
>>
File: 1499970509449.jpg (18KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1499970509449.jpg
18KB, 480x270px
Is Doomlike a genre?
Is Mariolike a genre?
Is RE-like a genre?
Is Ponglike a genre?
Is MetalGearlike a genre?
>>
>>383957478
He's been a gamer longer than I've been alive. I guess his reflexes are going.
>>
File: 1437630657069.jpg (19KB, 366x380px) Image search: [Google]
1437630657069.jpg
19KB, 366x380px
>>383956784
try with boardgames or party games and play with your dad anon
>>
GUYS STOP
THINK OF THE BANDWIDTH
>>
>>383958565
This train ain't got no brakes, boy.
>>
>>383958518

>Is Doomlike a genre?

Where were you during the 90's?
>>
>>383958758
I was born in 1999.
>>
SOULSLIKE IS NOT A GENRE. DARK SOULS AND THE LIKE ARE JUST LOOSE WRPG GAMES DESIGNED BY A NIP.
>>
>>383958893
>pretending to be another poster
fuck you, nigger
>>383958758
The "Doom-clone" argument was always stupid desu
>>
>>383958937
Nah that combat is too good to be a WRPG
>>
>>383959025
>Orbit enemies for a backstab
Wew lad
>>
>>383955219
No. Just like how in the early days people called all FPS "doom clones", it simply doesn't have a name for the genre yet, and no, ARPG doesn't cut it, as there are many different types of ARPG whereas souls games are based less on strategy and technique, and more on timing and position. Until there is a name for it plebs will continue to call things "souls-like", or "the dark souls of ..."
>>
it's a 3rd person Hack n slash
>>
>>383959436
>are based less on strategy and technique, and more on timing and position
So Zeldaclones.

Soulsbabbies don't know shit.
>>
>>383957487
>It's like how Shooters became Shmups when the FPS genre really started to boom.

Its odd how that evolved from a nick name to a strait description of what it is. And the one we are on is way more descriptive then what was previously used, there is shooting in some action games even thought it is not a central mechanic, and where the hell does GTA fall in "shooters".

Is open world a genre now or is that too vague?
>>
>>383959436
Timing and position is important in all ARPGs fucking idiot. Zelda had basically the same combat as souls 20 years ago, the only thing new they did was the invasion mechanic.
>>
>>383958758
Laughing at people who though that "doom clone" is a thing, you?
>>
no, just wait for the next one to come out and it will be shitposted to oblivion by fromdrones
>>
Since Soulsbabbies don't like the term, I'll make another one up.

Brutal Role Playing Games (BRPGs, or Burps if you're a faggot)
>>
>well what kind of game is it?
>there's a lot of action
>oh so like double dragon
>Wwell it has rpg elements
>oh so an arpg like Diablo
>Wwell no its a bit more slower
>uh mass effect?
>well there aren't a lot of wave encounters or skills with cooldowns
>er so maybe like dark souls?
>yeah its like the souls games
>then why didn't you say so?
>subgenres are stupid
>>
File: 04-4.jpg (72KB, 750x410px) Image search: [Google]
04-4.jpg
72KB, 750x410px
>>
>>383963239
>Is open world a genre now or is that too vague?
Open world isn't it's own genre. It's a sub-genre to be applied when appropriate.

For example, Breath of the Wild is an open world survival action adventure whereas Horizon Zero Dawn is a story driven open world third person shooter.
>>
>>383955219
>Is Soulslike a genre?
no, but is a valid term to describe a game just like duke nukem is a doomlike game
>>
>>383955219
I consider the souls games a genre.
Games that are actually hard, immersive, does not milk the players for money, and dosnt cater to casuals who want a hack and slash rpg.
>>
Genres are a dumb advertising gimmick, it's better just to explain what your game is about in detail and through footage. For me there's no guarantee that I'll like a game just because it's in the same genre. If anything I might especially hate it because I have something much better to compare it to. Terms like "Soulslike" are just an attempt by mediocre developers to latch onto popular franchises.
>>
Just call them Metroidvania WRPGs
>>
>>383955219
They are are all Zelda clones
>>
is Persona-like a genre?
>>
File: shark bite boat.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
shark bite boat.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>383955219
no
>>
>>383969182
Persona are just relatively classic dungeon crawlers.
Then they combined it with dating sim and VN elements. But they never even really merged the elements but more played them alongside each other.

Which is fine really but it's not its own genre. It plays the genre pretty much to a T.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.