[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When was the last time you replayed Half-Life 2 and do you think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

File: hl2cover.jpg (67KB, 300x428px) Image search: [Google]
hl2cover.jpg
67KB, 300x428px
When was the last time you replayed Half-Life 2 and do you think the game still holds up?
>>
>>383949734
2 weeks ago

it's shit
>>
it holds up to being the lesser of the 3 popular fps titles of 2004
>>
File: 1497544388370.jpg (39KB, 540x390px) Image search: [Google]
1497544388370.jpg
39KB, 540x390px
>>383949734
one year, and yes, the game still holds up pretty well.
>>
>>383949734
>do you think the game still holds up?

What does this phrase even mean?
>>
A couple years ago, and definitely.
>>
>>383949734
Few months ago
it was still great
everything from the end of Sandtraps where you're assaulting Nova Prospect to Battle for Overwatch Nexus is GOAT
>>
>>383949734
A year or two ago. It holds up.
>>
>>383949734
A year ago. Absolutely. One of the best single player shooters ever made.
>>
>>383949734
When I replay it I use SMOD.
Kicking combine into giblets in bullettime is just too good.
Also nice arnesal and improved gunplay, which was my biggest gripe with the vanilla game.
>>
>>383949734
A year ago. It's okay.
>>
>>383949734
i replayed it when that update mod came out. it was still a blast.
>>
>>383949734
Why does everyone, normies and v included hype this shit up? Floaty shooting, the driving levels tried to be like halo's silent cartographer but it was just boring, autistic puzzles, nonsense story. Tried to like it, but couldn't. The only thing I liked about the game was how fast you crouch, and the fact it gave us gmod.
>>
3 or 4 years ago

it was still extremely fun
>>
>>383949734
It's probably been about 5 years.

I'm waiting for the VR mod to come out before playing it again.
>>
>>383951023
>v included
>He missed the last pendulum swing where there constant threads shitting on HL2 and "What went wrong, /v/?" threads.
Hello newfag.
>>
It never held up. It's an insultingly linear and cinematic game with poor shooting mechanics and AI.
>>
>>383951383
I am kind of new to v (lurked 3 months posted 1) but I'm a longtime r9k lurker/user
>>
It's good, okay? Everyone just fuck off.
>>
It's a good game on its own, but as a sequel to Half-Life it's a piss-poor pandering job
Here! Have a totally different game but with "characters" you're supposed to now empathize with although you previously watched their NPC models die in droves
And let's give you the same weapons just because
You're now Science Jesus in eastern Europe saving a load of Americans from a bad American in a tower
btw guys, physics and engine!
Again, HL2 is not a bad game but I've always found it so fucking boring. Ravenholm can fuck off. It's nothing but a chore, complete with a quirky one-shot Father Grigori to give the illusion of character to a physics demo
Fuck outta here with HL2. HL, Opposing Force and the myriad mods made provided far much more whether you played multiplayer games or not
>>
Half Life 1 has better gameplay design. HL2 has very impressive tech but it doesn't actually use it very intelligently.
>>
It's still gud. The gunplay wasn't that great to begin with, people have always liked the game for its pacing and varied level design, and those aren't really affected by time. It also still looks surprisingly clean and sharp, not that graphics matter that much.
>>
>>383952475
>>383952475
Also HL1 had god tier level design (well, maybe not Xen) that blended with the platforming gameplay perfectly.
I love HL2 but the whole thing just feels like long ass corridors, ironic that 90% of HL1 took place in underground labs and corridors, and still managed to be more interesting.
>>
>>383953375
Absolutely. Both the more introverted sections and the more bombastic setpiece moments had more weight in HL1, IMO. Player-driven exploration in varied levels with tightly designed AI and weaponry. Just rock solid.
>>
>>383953542
I like Xen.
>>
>>383952392
*eyeroll* will you original half life fans just give it a rest already???
>>
>>383951557
Why would you even say that?
>>
>>383953542
I don't get this "player-driven exploration" thing. Half-Life has always been a train-track-linear game. Valve made a game to go with the new Quake engine they made, and as great as Half-Life is (I genuinely love the fucking game, it's my #1) it was a tech demo too, with some semblance of a story tacked-on after those cool and diverse "levels."
Years later, they did the same thing with HL2 and people still rave about its story or narrative and how it is told, as if it's anything to rave about. Unreal did the exact same thing years earlier.
HL2 is a fine game by itself, but as a sequel to Half-Life it really falls short by trying to be too serious in its narrative and too shallow in its gameplay. The guns suck, the environments though technically impressive for the time are physics/vehicle sideshows, and the enemies are less challenging and less diverse than the first game.
The weapon selection consists of the same weapons you had in the first game, despite the totally different setting. HL2 just stinks of "tech demo" and sadly it always has. Everywhere you turn there's a set-piece to show off the engine; and yes same as HL1. The difference is that HL1 had some simple substance to it where HL2 falls short; a simple set of linear events that make sense within the setting.
HL2 doesn't have that, it's all over the place.
>>
>>383955135
But the original Half Life is a mess of bad design choices
>>
>>383949734
I'm replaying the episodes over here. Much better than the fucking boring main campaign.
>>
>>383955319
Give some examples please anon, let's get into it
>>
>>383955135
>it was a tech demo
Any game that showcases ANYTHING new is a "tech demo" in the broad sense. The term only has meaning if we use it to say that the product is less of a game because of it, and that would be retarded in the case of Half-Life. More tech = more game stuff they could put in. If you truly think the game is great you should realize why it's stupid to use that phrase. "Tech demo" should only be used when you want to say "the game is LITTLE MORE THAN a tech demo." If you agree it's a great game, then it's just a great game that also showcases cool tech.
>>
>>383952475
>>383953375
>>383953542
Agree with these posts. I've replayed HL1 quite a few times, never felt the urge to do HL2 more than twice. I just reinstalled HL2 though thanks to this thread, so I'll give it a revisit to see if my opinion's changed.
>>
>>383955319
>a mess of bad design choices
those often are the best games
>>
>>383955135
Half Life is linear, but it's not a one-track corridor. It's not a Metroidvania or anything (see original System Shock), but it treats you like an adult. You explore and figure out how to move forward -- this is where the platforming comes in. It's good stuff.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.