[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some examples of games with good/bad difficulty curves?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: 35i549.png (73KB, 800x480px) Image search: [Google]
35i549.png
73KB, 800x480px
What are some examples of games with good/bad difficulty curves? What kind of difficulty curve is the best?
>>
For real life actitivies such as weight lifting the "difficulty curve" is a that it becomes increasingly harder the longer it goes on with occassional points of it being higher or lower for a moment: think warm ups, cooldowns, or moments where you get ambitious and try a weight much heavier than what you normally do.

I think arcade games have very well made difficulty curves with each new stage being much harder than the last, while having little moments of popcorn enemies to help you catch your breath.

The least interesting ones are those that flatline very early, which is how most games are now. For the same reason weight lifting is boring if you never try to make up to higher weights.
>>
Green for games where you can still explore the world after the ending, i.e. open world games - assuming the green peak is like the most powerful boss / final boss in the game or something like that.
Otherwise if the game ends after the final boss, purple.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (50KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
50KB, 1280x720px
Chaos Legion is one of those games that's so insanely difficult that at one point in the game you stop, and immediately turn off the game and shelf it forever because you finally realize the game isn't that good to begin with.
>>
File: Untitled.png (66KB, 800x480px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
66KB, 800x480px
something like the brown I gave up on
>>
>>383935481
purple or brown
best is x2
>>
>>383935481
Disciples II

most of the sagas are a walk in the park that starts to slowly get harder, by 3/4 pf a saga there is a nigh impossible mission that must be cheesed to hell and back to complete, then the ending is quite easy
>>
File: oDGCzCq.jpg (133KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
oDGCzCq.jpg
133KB, 1280x720px
>>383938418
>brown
>>
The DuckTales remake goes from "game you can beat in a single sitting as a kid" to requiring pixel perfect jumps with zero hesitation after the final boss.
>>
>>383935481
I'd say the vast, vast majority of games follows teal because the more you understand game mechanics the easier the game gets, even if bosses become nominally tougher. A good example of this are the soulsborne games. If you take skill out of the equation entirely I guess they do fall into the green category instead.
>>
Purple is the best, throws you in the action immediately instead of a boring tutorial and just when you think you have gotten the hang of it the game introduces something new
>>
Which one best represents Ninja Gaiden (XBOX)?
>>
>>383935481
If you read 'difficulty' as the difficulty perceived by the player, then light blue but the game still has to scratch that itch of competition.

If you read 'difficulty' as what the game outputs, then orange or yellow seeing as the player will get better at the game and the 'difficulty' will be countered by skill.
>>
>>383939087
i meant blue
i got confused by the other post
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.