[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For someone who has never played any entry on this series, where

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 6

File: mgs.jpg (83KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
mgs.jpg
83KB, 1024x768px
For someone who has never played any entry on this series, where should I start and what should I avoid?
>>
If you're capable of handling some of the bullshit in MGS then you'll be fine. Play release order
>>
>>383931240
Start with MGS1. Then get the HD collection. 4 if you have a PS3. Then V. Play all the Solids in release order, and MG1&2 (their in the HD collection) whenever you want, at the least after finishing MGS.
>>
Play 1, 2, 3, 4 in that order.
PW and 5 are optional.
>>
Why do people always ask what fucking order to play a new series to them in? You play in release order so the old games never feel clunky compared to newer entries that improved on them.
>>
>>383931806
Well, in the case of some games like RE, you may want to play REmake instead of the original.
>>
Really 1, 2, 3, then 4 is the best experiance.
If you really fall in love with it and need more gameplay (take all story after that point as standalone ventures) The originals, Ghost Babel, Peace Walker, and V are fun. I like the Ac!ds too.
>>
>>383931240
Part of MGS's strengths are in its quirks and little references, as well as storytelling.
If you play them in anything other than release order, these will not make sense to you. Also it's hard to go backwards with those mechanics getting better from game to game.
tl;dr: play release order

t. fag who started with MGS2
>>
>>383931240
Skip 5
>>
>>383932192
5 can be really fun, and does have some great story elements, but you shouldn't look at it as part of the whole because it really ultimately has nothing to do with any of the others.
>>
Play 1-3. 4 and 5 were awful.
>>
>>383931240
mgs 1 2 3 in order. dont play the mgd1 remake
then try metal gear 2, ghost babel, acid 2 and revengence if you want more

every other game isnt worth your time
>>
>>383932365
4 is debatably the worst gameplay wise but the final boss and "scene" (well its basically like a movie) that follows is a perfect conclusion to the series.
>>
start with MGS on PS, but consider twin snakes

avoid 4. If you liked 2 at all, avoid 4 like the plague. play 5 if you like fucking around in game, otherwise you can pretty much avoid it. It doesnt answer any questions and the entire thing is completely inconsequential to the rest of the franchise
>>
>>383932365
>>383932375
>>383932442
yeah if yall didn't cry at the end you aint human
>>
>>383932442

this " the """""""""""""""""""""liquid"""""""""""""" vs snake fight redeems the rest of the game" meme never gets old
>>
>>383932192
I'm playing 5 right now and I skipped Meme Walker but I watched it on youtube. It's pretty good provided you go in knowing that the story takes a massive backseat to the gameplay. MGSV is fun by itself but it is pretty much a self-contained story with references and setups for other games' stories and developments.
V is the Star Wars prequels of Metal Gear, and its equivalent of flashy visuals are its good gameplay.
>>
Just get a ps3 (it's really cheap now) and play the legacy collection. Avoid peace walker, GZ, the phantom pain, and the shitfest that was PO (those are not canon for me btw)
>>
1, 2, 3 and Peace Walker. Don't really need anything else. Play 4 and 5 if you want.
>>
File: how do you do.png (82KB, 251x201px) Image search: [Google]
how do you do.png
82KB, 251x201px
I'm playing peacewalker as my first metal gear solid, I bought the hd collection thinking 1 would be in it but it isn't. Should I play MGS2 or MGS3 next? I also just installed rising. I don't really care much for the story but instead the gameplay.

So far the story is a circlejerk of cold war, nukes, giant robots, memes, kaz and snakes awkward relationship and huey yelling all the time.
>>
>>383932610
It dosen't get old because it's true.
It reprises not only the first game but every game and the music playing is incredible. IDK to me it always seemed perfect that the end of everything was two old ripped bastards kicking each others ass.
Plus Big Boss and Snake at the end (okay the Zero thing was BS ill go with you on that...)
>>
Portable Ops is really the only hard skip I'd give.
>>
play them in release order but start with twin snakes instead of psx

don't skip PW or V like some of these dorks are saying either, you need to feel it too..
>>
>>383932192
>>383931630
MGS1 has the best story

MGSV is the best game
>>
>>383933013
The fuck nigga
1 is fine and all but to act like it has a better story than 2 or 3 is stupid. 1 just sets up the world and characters.
>>
>>383932652
the "good" gameplay is why I said not to play it
Who thought it was a good idea to stretch it out over so many missions? And a boring, barren open world? No real bosses?
>>
>>383933013
fuck off
>>
if you have a ps4, buy the legacy and play in release order except for peace walker. when you finish that, play peace walker then MGSV. portable ops can be ignored, and if you like you can play Rising after MGS4
>>
I dont want to be a kojima dick sucker but if you like video games or movies at all you should play 1 2 3 and maybe 4.
>>
>>383933262
*legacy collection, i meant.

it has everything except rising and MGSV. it even has metal gear 1 and 2 but those are optional and the entire events of those games have been twisted around to fit what Kojima wanted to do. IIRC MGS1 has some mission briefing files in it that can pretty much expain both of those games.
>>
First get MGS 3 Subsistence. Disc 2 (Persistence) has Metal Gear 1 and 2 on it. At least play MG 2, you'll understand some of the stuff in MGS 1 better and it's a good game.

Then play the numbered Metal Gear Solids in release order. In my opinion, original MGS is better than Twin Snakes.

Optionally, you could put Portable Ops and Peace Walker after MGS 3. Portable Ops is skippable. Peace Walker is skippable too if you don't like it, but there's some stuff in MGS V that directly references it.

Alternately this >>383933262
>>
Play in release order. Avoid MGS 4 if you want your memories of MGS 1 to be completely shit on.
>>
>>383933262
I thought only PS3 had a Legacy collection, am I wrong?
>>
>>383934115
Theres a PS2 one with 1, 2 and 3, but it's missing some of the extra shit like the skateboarding and Ape escape stuff.
>>
File: Metal Gear.png (1MB, 1006x2303px) Image search: [Google]
Metal Gear.png
1MB, 1006x2303px
>>
>>383931470
To add, if you play 5, play Peacewalker first
>>
>>383931240
Ignore everyone else.

Just play MGS3. Start with that, play it through. It's the best this series has to offer in terms of gameplay and story, and it's where the chronology starts. Then play through the other games to follow the rest of the story. But MGS3 sets everything up.

Oh, and don't skip Portable Ops if you're playing through all the games.
>>
if I already have 4 and 1 on ps3 should I just get hd collection instead of legeacy
and do you guys think konami will put these mgs games on ps4
>>
>>383932442
>4 is debatably the worst gameplay wise
Are you fucking serious? 4 is the best BY FAR in terms of gameplay. Evem better than V. Complain about there being little gameplay or stuff like that but don't be a retard.
>>
>>383935179
I don't know why people say this, I loved 4 as well
>>
>>383932279
>nothing to do with the others

Shows how Outer Heaven was built up
Explains how BB managed to maintain a relevant reputation while calling the shots (He's the boss, Venom is the snake)
Explains why Miller hates BB
The only game to really show Ocelot on the same side as BB
Explains The End's powers
Gives insight into how Liquid turned into the powerhouse he is in MGS1 with his buddy Mantis
Shows how BB managed to get a chokehold on the world in terms of nuclear weaponry as a result of Venom's mass disarmament program
Explains why BB is back as the villain in MG2

Don't get me wrong, I definitely wanted more. I'd have loved to have seen every possible character in MGSV. Especially the sub-bosses of MG1.
>>
>>383935179
The B&B fights are pretty broken and unfun man.
>>
>>383932528
I shed a tear until the epilogue and then I just got confused.
>>
>>383935597
you have to start back at 0 now sorry that's more of a turtle opinion than a turtle fact
>>
>>383934456
HD Collection has MGS3 Subsistence but not Persistence, so it's actually missing a lot of the bonus content. The most prominent ones are the Snake VS Monkey minigame and the Secret Theater. Also, it's missing the vampire dream sequence minigame as well.
>>
>>383931240
Absolutely start with Twin Snakes. Just plat it on emulator
>>
>>383931240
Twin Snakes -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> Stop
>>
>>383935525
Okayy....BUT
Ocelot, Miller, Volgin, PsychoMantis, basically every character thats in another installment has a completely different personality and character then before, so it really dosen't. Master Miller is noting like Kaz, Ocelot is nothing like Shalalalalalalaalshaska so whats the point?
>>
>>383935786
excuse me sir I don't understand.
>>
>>383931240
play 1, 3 and 5 in that order.
i like 2 and 4, but wouldnt recommend it
>>
>metal gear solid 1 doesn't have any achievements

Guess I know which one NOT to play
>>
Twin Snakes is garbage. Play Metal Gear Solid the way it was meant to be played
>>
>>383931240
Play Metal Gear Ac!d, then Metal Gear Ac!d 2. Only worthy games.
>>
Why do people start start with Twin Snakes the cutscenes and acting are terrible and the gameplay is way to easy.
>>
>>383933061
"We want the Monster Hunter audience"
>>
>>383936203
Wasn't the entire point of Ocelot that we didn't really know anything about him? We only learned about what he was possibly REALLY like for the first time in MGS3, and even then much of his behavior was a ruse as a triple-agent.

MGSV was the only game where we had the opportunity to see his true personality. The only thing we knew for sure about Ocelot was that he was tremendously attracted to and loyal to Big Boss, so it stands to reason that he'd be a little more straight with him. Haha, "straight".
>>
>>383936203
>People don't change personalities according to who they're with or evolve with age

We've seen Ocelot be a cunt in every MGS game. Hell, it leaks through when he's with Huey. MGSV is the first game in which we're looking through the eyes of his true ally (MGS3 he had to play the part of a double agent)

Kaz loved BB at the end of PW. In MG2 he calls him a "monster". MGSV gave us insight into how he changed. He lost everything only to be strung along by BB.

Eli is pretty much the same as Liquid.

Psycho mantis was a cool little addition. He clearly changed with age, unlike Eli.

Volgin was a bit unessecary, but it fed into the revenge theme quite well, a theme that recurred throughout the entire game (skullface v zero, MOF v BB, Kaz v Skull face, Quiet v BB, Liquid v BB) - and since Volgin was braindamaged to all hell, he had no real personality.

Zero is the same

real BB is the same, if a bit more cynical
>>
>>383937072
>Angsty Gay Boy
>Badass Cowboy
>>383937285
Everything you say here does make sense though I suppose.
>>
>>383933013
>MGSV
>best game

Pick one.
>>
>>383931240
mgs1 then 3 skip 2 and 4
>>
>>383937809
>Skip 3
>jamesfrancoyoudontlikeart.gif
>>
File: Agness.jpg (10KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
Agness.jpg
10KB, 200x200px
>>383931240
Every single Metal Gear game should be avoided at all costs. After all, they're part of the dullest video game franchise in the history of video games. Each game following the one eyed undercover agent and his pals from FOXHOUND as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the toilet humour, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of cutscenes, all to make the games seem like a movie, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Kojima vetoed the idea of someone talented directing the series; he made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for his other games (Death Stranding/P.T. Silent Hills). The Metal Gear series might be anti-stealth (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-Deus Ex series in its refusal of wonder, complex storytelling and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the writing and themes were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the themes were terrible. As I played, I noticed that every game ends with the same Anti-nuclear message.

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that ending was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Kojima's mind is so governed by Hollywood action movie cliches and dead metaphors that he has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain by the same YongYea. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are playing Metal Gear at 13 or 18, then when they get older they will go on to read Tom Clancy." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you play "Metal Gear" you are, in fact, trained to read Tom Clancy.
>>
>>383937980
>reading comprehension
>>
>>383938071
Don't think so.
>>
File: logro_5.jpg (95KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
logro_5.jpg
95KB, 1920x1080px
>>383931970
That is a fucking awful idea. REmake is my favorite game of all time, but Resi 1 is worth playing just as much as the remake. It's a different game, it doesn't replace the original.
>>
>>383938071
ITS CALANCY
>>
>>383931240
Play MGS3 and Phantom Pain, the story is shite on phantom pain but the gameplay in fun.
>>
>>383938695
>Original
Play Directors Cut. Best version.
>>
>>383939025
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q
>>
>>383931240
Definitely start with 1.

Whether you'll enjoy it now because of how much more developed the games industry is in comparison I don't know, but if you try and put yourself in the mindset of a gaming market 20 years ago and something like this was released, it was fucking ground breaking. Often voted greatest game of all time for good reason.
>>
>>383931240
start with mgs1
or if older games give you a hard time then start with 3 then play 1 and 2
then 3 again because its the best one
then appreciate 4 for what it is
then choose between peace walker or V
youtube the story of the one you didn't choose
portable ops is also worth a watch

and then if you still want more

give metal gear 1 and 2 and ghost babel a runthrough
>>
>>383939980
10/10 GOTD OST
>>
File: Metal gear Series.png (1MB, 1434x1011px) Image search: [Google]
Metal gear Series.png
1MB, 1434x1011px
>>
>>383940947
You have 4 and 5 mixed up
>>
>>383941257
nah I am pretty sure I got them right.
>>
>>383941257
fuck off idiot
>>
Okay, so I beat MGS1, 2 and 3 and now I'm gonna take on Peace Walker. I beat MGS1 twice, 2 twice and 3 three times. I was in the middle of a fourth playthrough of 3 on Hard, but I'm having a REALLY hard time escaping from Groznyj Grad without sounding an alert. I could probably make it if I ignored the alert and just made a run for it, but I feel like that would be admitting defeat. After this, I kinda wanna replay MGS1 and 2 again, but I also wanna move on to Peace Walker.
>>
>>383941391
Nah 4 is the worst of the Solid series and it isn't even close.
>>
>>383941701
Maybe you just got shit taste m8
>>
>>383941842
Yeah mate enjoy following those footprints, rail gun sequences and billion guns in MGS4. Such a shitty game.
>>
>>383941701
*equips stealth camo*
*walks behind u*
*unequips stealth camo*
FOX
>>
>>383942737
But you said you loved it?
>>
>>383931240
Play 1, 2 and 3 and then stop. Everything else is fanfiction garbage as the primary writer of the series left at that point.
>>
Play in release order and skip 2.

4 ignores everything 2 did.
>>
>>383943964
Why not play 2 and skip 4?
>>
>>383944023
because 4 has stuff that is relevant in later games.
>>
Playing Peace Walker for the first time. Hayter's performance is off-putting. It feels like he believes that aging = raspy voice. It's even raspier than Old Snake's voice was, though.
>>
>>383934115
that's correct, my mistake

the difference is it includes MGS1 as a code and the VR missions expansion as a code as well, and it includes the extra disc for MGS3 that has MG1 and 2 as well as some extra content like maybe a visual novel? not sure on that, it's been a while.

overall, if you have a ps3 then the legacy collection is the best bet.
>>
Why is the text so small in Peace Walker? I can't even see the camo index.
>>
I got the PC port of MGS and 2 Substance to work, currently i just destroyed the hind, how much do i have left?
also, i don't really know how emulation works, do i need a legal copy of MGS3?
>>
>>383948670
a little over halfway, maybe 3/4ths of the way through.

MGS 3 can be emulated pretty well
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.