[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>esports is a marketing term now Am I the only one that hates

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: disgusting2.jpg (47KB, 435x326px) Image search: [Google]
disgusting2.jpg
47KB, 435x326px
>esports is a marketing term now
Am I the only one that hates this shit? I have a good interest in esports. I loved the Quake scene, CSGO is fantastic, I was into Dota 2 for a while, but I just don't like how every other fucking game is being marketed as an esport. I'm sorry, but a game doesn't just magically become an esport. It has always been an organic process.

A game cannot be an esport if:
>developers drop support within a year after release
>there are no LAN tools or proper broadcasting tools
>there's no attempt to competently balance the game
>the game actually uses P2P (For Honor lol)
>the game has mechanics for casuals in mind (e.g. ults in Overwatch making people feel good when they get a 4+ kill streak after dying half the game)
>mechanics are generally flow chart as fuck

Sick and tired of seeing all these companies prop up artificial tournaments with marketing funds and then not facilitating any means for an organic competitive scene to grow.
>>
Yes you are.
>>
>>383899917
I really, really like this movie.
>>
>>383899917
i agree
>>
>>383899917
These limitations seem pretty arbitrary
The only thing a game needs to become an esport is people actually competing against each other in an organized fashion
>>
>>383900093
Me too. It's a classic.
>>
>>383899917
Also
>no demos/replays
>no modding
>no in-game server browser
When BF3's Battlelog came out, barely anyone took issue, why would did the players accept this shit?
>>
>>383900192
Yes by definition that's true, but these are means to an end. If you don't have these means, I can't possibly see how you get to that end. Half my reasons revolve around stability in matches, broadcasting, and making the viewing experience fun. If the game's tournament view looks like a clusterfuck, then nobody is going to watch. Furthermore, the other points really play out with how fun a game can be to watch. If there's a skill ceiling or flow chart play style to the competitive mode, then it's just going to get really stagnant after a while.
>>
>>383900093
>>383900196
They made a musical of it now.
>>
>>383900267
>no demos/replays
>no modding
>no in-game server browser
Those are pretty terrible too. If you can't reasonably set up practice matches and games with other people outside of the server's queue, then it's pointless.

>When BF3's Battlelog came out, barely anyone took issue, why would did the players accept this shit?
Didn't everyone here sperg out over the battlelog browse bullshit?
>>
File: 41Q9NQZZ5ZL.jpg (32KB, 328x475px) Image search: [Google]
41Q9NQZZ5ZL.jpg
32KB, 328x475px
>>383900196
Yeah. Yesterday I watched Defending Your Life, I felt very good.
I don't know, something about the movies from this period, it gives me a really nice vibe.
Nostalgia, perhaps, but is very confortable.

>>383900415
Really? Movie or play?
>>
>>383899917

There has definitely been an increased trend in the last 7 years or so to make every game the new esports tentpole upon release. The best competitive scenes are the ones that grow organically; they feature players with the most devotion and heart toward the game they are competitive in. When you force a game as an esport, you just wind up with a practically soulless spe rival and equally boring teams and players.

That being said, it can't go back to the way it was. Companies know that if they can establish a foothold in the new esports scene, it secures long term interest in their game, an additional revenue stream, and potential for sequels to perform well.

I mean, I competed in MLG for H1 before every kid started putting MLG in his username. I was watching street fighter tournaments during the dark ages. It's just a different world now, in some ways for better (increased interest, legitimacy, and money) and in many ways for worse.
>>
>>383900481
Stage production.

> I only know this bc gf told me it didn't win any Tony's
>>
>>383899917
Name one game that meets your standards. Protip: Starcraft and Quake do not.

Also, ults don't work like that in OW. Just saying.
>>
>>383899917
Quake and CSGO are pretty flowchart and don't have any broadcasting tools. Healing items and powerups are for casuals.
>>
>>383899917
except literally any game out there can be an esport if there's a prize pool
for example, if there was a 10 million dollar prize pool for Kirby air ride people would form teams and play that shit just as hard and competitively as DotA
>>
>>383901852
>>>383901852
>>>>383900356
>>I get your point, but look at something like melee that's been a favourite esport for a decade or so, and it violates rules 1 and 3
Sequel to Air Ride never ever
Such a fun local coop game
>>
>>383902027
Goddamn my browser is acting up, ignore the rest there
>>
>>383899917
>cough overwatch cough
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.