[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Project M died for this Why are the character designs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 156
Thread images: 19

File: pixlr_20170410171618260.jpg (583KB, 1570x1570px) Image search: [Google]
pixlr_20170410171618260.jpg
583KB, 1570x1570px
>Project M died for this

Why are the character designs so terrible?
>>
wow cool overwatch fan characters
>>
Looks okay to me familia. What, you afraid of a black woman? The left Illuminati are taking over your video games?
>>
Why are you posting the old ashani, OP?
>>
>>383884135
the woman looks bland as dicks
space goat is cool though, even though spacies are cancer
>>
These characters look painfully generic.
It's like someone tried to make a Smash Bros game based around Functions™.
>>
File: bxv7iAyH_400x400.jpg (35KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
bxv7iAyH_400x400.jpg
35KB, 400x400px
>>383884496
>basing your characters off the autists who play Smash competitively
Is the Marth ripoff gonna look like Mew2King?

I also love
>Space animal is a fighting game archetype
Yeah, because character archetypes are based of their fucking appearance. These guys have no clue what they're doing, and they're game is gonna wind up being a shitty Melee clone with OW rejects.
>>
>>383884607
>Space goat looks cool
Looks like a scrapped concept for Rachet
>>
>>383884135
Looks like Battleborne
>>
>>383884135
Christ this artsyle

It's like every cartoony western game's visuals condensed

they should call the game League of WildWatch: Champions of the Realm
>>
>>383884135

I want to fuck that goat.
>>
>>383884135
im getting some major deja vu in this thread
>>
>>383884135
Those designs are so nothing, you could tell me those are overwatch, lol or battleborn characters and I wouldn't argue. They say nothing, in competitive games you want to see a character and understand how it will generally act.

If this is meant to appeal to smashbabies I don't get the design choice
>>
File: Wavedash-Raymer-Promo-Art.jpg (83KB, 750x400px) Image search: [Google]
Wavedash-Raymer-Promo-Art.jpg
83KB, 750x400px
>>383885282
What's the matter, you don't like Pharah Aran?
>>
>>383885395
She's supposed to be a Captain Falcon clone isn't she? I don't get it, she doesn't look like she'd fight like Falcon. Falcon is very in your face and powerful. His attitude and appearance both help convey that he's someone very confident in himself who would have a lot of flair in his moves.

This Ashani chick doesn't look like she'd fight like him at all.
>>
>>383884135
Battleborn / Paladins tier
>>
>>383885701
Hey now Battleborn is a bit harsh

Paladins is apt though, seems this will be the poor mans Smash
>>
>>383885634

captain falcon is a hyperbole character based on Nascar drivers and bombastic westerners, with a sprinkle of flamboyant wrestling star ala macho man randy savage

fuckin japs dude

also inb4 danika patrick
>>
>>383885634
Wait, she isn't the samus clone? Well that is even more confusing, nothing about her design conveys that

I also get why they are taking the archetypes so wholesale but seeing as these are moba designs with a tiny bit of nintendo I hope they mix it up somewhere. I know some don't want that but the game needs an identify of it's own.
>>
Wasn't there already Rivals of Aether or something?
>>
>>383885701
fuck you batttleborn had great character art
it's the game that was trash
>>
why is everything in america about self image? you don't need to see yourself in characters to enjoy them. fucking hell, get over yourselves
>>
File: LXP20027.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
LXP20027.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Literally nothing stopping you from playing Project M. People still make their own shit for it.

I just wish I could get the wizard Ganondorf from that Project Ganondorf to work. The guy just gives you the entire pack and just want to slap the wizard Ganondorf over the regular one
>>
>>383885905
No, Falcon is heavily inspired by Kamen Rider, it's even in his attack names. I'm referring to Smash Falcon btw who's more bombastic and in your face. F-Zero Falcon didn't get much of s personality till GX, and the cartoon, and both of those were after Smash.

>>383885947
Nah, this guy is the Samus clone, which is strange, cause I see him more as a GunKata close range fighter like Noel in Blazblue. Black chick is the Falcon clone. Goat is obviously notFox, and the lesbo ogre is the Heavyweight grappler, I think DK+Ganondorf. They're also teasing their notMarth lately, which I guess is supposed to be some sort of empress.

Dude made a list of the 8 archetypes in Fighting games in his vlog, and listed off a bunch of Smash-likes. So expect a notLink and a notJigglypuff/Peach soon enough. As well as a duo character a la Ice Climbers.

As an aside, can we talk about how cringe it is that they're basing their characters of "the Five Gods"? Blonde dude is Leffen, and Goat is Mango. I expect the other 3 will be portrayed in some way.
>>
>>383886058
Because appearently everyone who isn't white has low self esteem and can't stand seeing objectively the most beautiful race everywhere because it makes them feel bad that they're not as beautiful as whites.
This is the only logical conclusion.
>>
File: Raymer-Wavedash.jpg (82KB, 750x400px) Image search: [Google]
Raymer-Wavedash.jpg
82KB, 750x400px
>>383886419
Forgot pic
>>
>>383886486
>>383886419
He looks like some reject from Phantom Dust but slightly more colorful
>>
>>383886486
Looks like a Azure Striker Gunvolt fancharacter
>>
>>383886568
I think its their best character design, but I'm still not totally feeling it. The red coat and blonde hair give me a Vash vibe, but not in a good way. It's just too busy, and there's a lot of, "why is this here?" A large part of it is the shitty OW-like artstyle.
>>
>>383886486
Gigantic? Paladins? Wildstar? League?
>>
>>383884227
Nah, they don't have prosthetics. It's a rule for OverOC's they need prosthetics like 2hus need silly hats
>>
Rivals of Aether's aesthetic is 100 percent more unique, approachable and memorable then this.

Should have gone a Dota route when it was first made - copying characters color schemes, silhouettes and gameplay but giving them different names and fine tuned designs so that Smash players can recognize comparable playable characters rather then just giving everything the 'Battleborn/Overwatch/Paladins/' aesthetic.
>>
File: EMBLEM.jpg (22KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
EMBLEM.jpg
22KB, 256x256px
>>383884737
More than likely. Character designs be damned, if they don't have the tight controls and skill range to back it up, it won't matter. Nintendo puts a mirror sheen of polish on their games. A team of rookies getting the same quality would be catching lightning in a bottle.
>>
>character design should inform how they play
>inspired by the series that took a bunch of established characters and gave them crazy moves they dont even have in their own games

Yeah okay
>>
>>383886486
he's actually cool looking, but certainly doesn't look like he would play like any smash character.
>>
>>383886754
The worst part is them sticking so closely to Melee. You can see it in their homage characters to the pros. It's a complete and utter circlejerk, and that's what bugs me the most.

The platform fighter genre is VAST, and with a lot of untapped potential still. Why stick to Melee like gum, instead of just taking what worked there, and applying it in a new way to make something fresh?

Melee is far from perfect, it has a lot of poor mechanics not suited for competitive play. Which is where the whole "not a fighting game" argument comes from. If your goal is to make a competitive platform Fighter, then make THAT, don't make a Melee clone. The fact that they listed off a bunch of Smash character as fighting game archetypes shows how little they know about the actual genre. Many of the characters in Smash are very very poorly designed by and have a lot of filler and throwaway moves. Meanwhile, in arcade fighters, each and every move for a character is meticulously planned and designed to have synergy and balance.
>>
>Diversity
>Every character looks generic as fuck

How about going back to the old, cartoony fighting game kind of diversity?
Street Fighter 3 had more diversity in its cast than anything being released today, but nobody even considers this to be the case.
>>
>>383884135
>we have no confidence in our own skills and not a shred of creativity in us, that is why we have to rely on "DIVERSITY" to make characters
>>
>>383885995
There's several other Smash-clones out there, such as Rivals of Aether, Brawlhalla, Brawlout and others.
>>
>>383886720
It feels like they just have no idea what they are going for. They want to take some elements of smash design but then move it around. They want a simple art style but then add lots of detail to only some characters.

>>383886857
>>character design should inform how they play
Yes, you want people to get a good idea of what a character will be like from looks. A boxer being a projectile based zoner would just confuse people.

>bunch of established characters and gave them crazy moves they dont even have in their own games
No most is based on stuff, people even get annoyed when they get too far off like 4 ZS Samus. The little they do add usually fits with the character. I don't think any play wildly different than you would expect from their look.
>>
>>383886021
>giant muscle guy with a pinhead
>every woman looking Brianna Wu
>great character art
>>
>>383886754
>Nintendo puts a mirror sheen of polish on their games.
Not on melee.
>>
>>383887112
I didn't realize gameplay had come out for it yet, can you link it anon?
>>
File: rocketeers.jpg (811KB, 1892x629px) Image search: [Google]
rocketeers.jpg
811KB, 1892x629px
>>383885701
They all are pretty similar. There's literally no difference between the quality of designs between Overwatch, Paladins, Battleborn and Gigantic. Blizzard has slight edge over the others by having better modellers, riggers, animators and time/money to make them right.

Also, what's up with the flying rocketeers being always the most fun, coolest and lewdest class in the game?
>>
>>383887257
It's weird how you've convinced yourself Fox and Captain Falcon's moveset ever made sense for characters known for vehicular action. When I think Jigglypuff I think of the iconic way she would aggressively fall asleep into enemies for massive damage too.
>>
So what is it about these Smash clones that people never understand? Nobody gives a shit about your characters no matter how cool you think they are. At the end of the day Smash serves the exact same function as something like MvC or those Naruto games; it's fanservice and wanting to see Mario fight Mega Man, Ryu and Marth. If MvC was Function v Function then nobody would fucking care and it would've died in a couple of days. Now imagine instead of Functions it's a bunch of characters that look like shit with annoying voices that nobody wants to play.
>>
>>383887470
I played it at CEO anon. They won't have any gameplay footage out for a couple months still. Also, just look at all the Tweets and Vlogs he's put out.
>>
>>383887702
How "annoying melee" are we talking here? L-cancels?
>>
File: IMG_20170714_054259.jpg (167KB, 1080x1023px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170714_054259.jpg
167KB, 1080x1023px
>>383887673
MvC is function vs function though

Even the Producer said so
>>
>>383887673
I disagree slightly, good character design would still pull people in. I think the problem is more people will look at this and go why wouldn't I just play melee? But when you do change people go this is no longer a clone of the game I liked.

Look at Skullgirls, great designs (that brought huge attention to the game), solid gameplay but it failed to draw in the MvC crowd to a significant degree. When we talk about the FGC people see it as one group with people moving between, but it is really many groups with small overlap even between similar games.
>>
>>383887112
That's probably the most maddening part. Universal "mechanics" that are just an additional barrier beyond the inherent tools provided by the character don't seem to work for me in this particular genre, especially the retarded shit like wavedashes, L-cancels and shit. It's like K-style in GunZ: why do I have to tweak my fingers learning these excessively complex glitches to remain competitive? Why can't I just use my character's tools on top of the simple core mechanics of the game to be competitive?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEA9QSM1BUU
>>
>>383888201
No, but wavedashing is in if you hadn't guessed. Also, no high/low blocking. This is something I pointed out to them as a problem, so if they're smart, they'll change it.

Basically, if you want a Project M that won't get shut down by Nintendo, but with the Nintendo characters being replaced by uninspired OC in a space setting, then this is the game for you.
>>
>>383887595
>pick one move for puff instead of the light, balloon-like way she gets around, thr slaps, punches, and rolling she does in most move, etc
Falcon lools like an action hero, so he fights like one. Fox looks small and speedy with some tech stuff since he is a space pilot, so he moves quick, attacks fast and weak, and has lasers and reflectors.
>>
>>383888520
The "Melee or bust" crowd is, in my opinion, part of what's holding this genre back. Just because it's an ur-example of the genre doesn't mean everything that follows it must hew exactly to it.
>>
>>383884135
It's not diversity if you just flip its spectrum on its side. I don't even mind it much but at least be honest.
>>
>>383888573
>Also, no high/low blocking. This is something I pointed out to them as a problem, so if they're smart, they'll change it.

So, your idea of "expanding the platform fighter genre" is really just "make it more like traditional fighters." Sounds lame to me, anon.

I'd rather they make a good standalone successor to melee than get overly experimental and fuck it up.
>>
>>383888694
Similar issue with SF right now, the (what would seem to be) majority vocally dislike it yet refuse to move on and support other games. They want a good SF game and only that thus they drag the whole community down with them. People care more about these games than the basic mechanics and structure, being a melee or SF player specifically is part of their identity.

There are only 2 ways I see to solve this

1- just get super lucky with a new completely idea
2- Get an established super popular IP, which is exactly what Dragon Ball Fighters Z has done

Which also leads me to a theory this is/was an attempt to get riot to pick them up like rising thunder
>>
>>383888923
>Successor to Melee
at least 4 of those already exist.
Brawl
Smash 4
Project M
Rivals of Aether

If your goal is to make a competitive platform fight, you need to look beyond Smash Bros.

Look at the Capcom fighters, the ArcSys fighters, and other platform fighters like Jump Ultimate Stars, and the one that started the genre, the Outfoxies.

Smash was made to be a Brawler, not a 1v1 fighter, so you need to take a step back and see which Smash mechanics are downright detrimental toward competition, and why arcade fighters are designed the way they are.

The things that make Smash great are:
-The simplicity of inputs making it easy to learn and pick up new mains.
-The momentum and engine making for intense gameplay and allowing for natural combo break
-the freedom of movement, focus on aerial combat, and the stage playing a role, by being more than a backdrop.

Platform fighters have a lot of potential, if your goal is to make a competitive one, then don't clone the Brawler, take influence from it and make something new.
>>
>>383889086
>2- Get an established super popular IP, which is exactly what Dragon Ball Fighters Z has done
As much as I am excited for Dragon Ball Fighter Z, and for how cool I think it is that it's being made.
It kind of bothers me still. We've had Guilty Gear for all these years and people just kept nonchalantly pushing it aside even when people tried their best to show what the games had to offer. But now that it's "Dragon Ball!" it's all of a sudden already super amazing from the very beginning, instantly, without question.

Like fuck. But I guess that's to be expected, really. But still.
>>
>>383888923
>I'd rather they make a good standalone successor to melee than get overly experimental and fuck it up.
I don't want Melee 3.0. I'm a traditional fighter player, but I don't want to deal with a bullshit execution barrier like wavedashing or L-cancel or any other extreme high-level mechanics that are required to be considered "decent" like ledge cancels and shit. I don't mind if the game slows down a little as well; people love Melee because it's arguably the "fastest" game in the series, but that only tightens the execution requirements.

Melee is just too oppressive as a game.
>>
>>383889318
Guilty Gear is its own thing. DBFZ is Dragon Ball: Marvel Edition. Marvel is dying after this EVO (no one is going to play MvC:I), so DBFZ showed up at the absolute perfect time to take its place.
>>
>>383889347
Consider Smash 4.
>>
>>383889347
A fast game like Melee can work if you build the game to be that fast. Just look at DBFZ and Guilty Gear XX and Blazblue.

You're gonna have to scrap all the bullshit pro mechanics first though. Like, Wavedashing works in Tekken cause Tekken is slow as fuck.
>>
File: 1439734243784.png (344KB, 622x749px) Image search: [Google]
1439734243784.png
344KB, 622x749px
>>383889347
>bullshit execution barrier
This is literally every good video game ever.
>>
>>383889436
It looks like Guilty Gear with assists.
If they had straight up made Guilty Gear with assists people would still just disregard it as a filthy "anime fighter" and it wouldn't have gotten any more recognition than before.
>>
File: PS_cover_art.png (993KB, 800x915px) Image search: [Google]
PS_cover_art.png
993KB, 800x915px
>>383889286
>Look at the Capcom fighters
If you make me a platform fighter in the style of Power Stone, you have no idea how happy I'd be.
>>
>>383887292
Compared to Brawlhalla and PSAS, it shines like a diamond.
>>
>>383889318
It's how it always works. Not saying every small get deserves to be bigger, but a lot of the time what is popular is more this hit at the right time.

Of course other elements carry the games, SF designs are great (even if the modeling isn't) and Nintendo has the best catalog of classic designs.
>>
>>383887112
You're just shit. Melee's mechanics are fine, and there's a reason people still play it. The"not a fighting game" crowd are similar, - they're shit at the game and need to validate themselves. Kill yourself.
>>
>>383889494

None of the games you listed are even half as fast as melee
>>
>>383889754
No, the old guard still plays it. The numbers have been dwindling for players.
>>
>>383884135
These characters look like trash.
Like, actual trash.
Hack into Blizzard's headquarters and check their recycle bins, and these guys are in there.
>>
>>383889805
You have clearly never seen high level GG or Marvel.
>>
>>383889286

Brawl and smash 4 don't have highly competitive mechanics (in my opinion)

PM can't be streamed, is dead and will never reach mainstream status

Rivals was too experimental and its gameplay suffers as a result (again my opinion)

So yes, I would like a true Melee-like game that is able to grow into the future and be independent from Nintendo. But that's just me.

>>383889347
>I don't want to deal with a bullshit execution barrier like wavedashing

Don't ever reply to me ever again.
>>
File: odZEV.png (301KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
odZEV.png
301KB, 450x600px
>>383889754
>game is good if you're good at it
When did fighting games become this bad?
>>
>>383889839
I don't even play Overwatch but Blizzard really has better character designs. I can recognize that much. Even if they make crappy bait and witch gender politics for controversy and crap.
>>
>>383889920
No they play into the same moba models that a lot of western pc games seem to. They just did it well but even then there are some rejects making it in now like osiris.
>>
>>383884135
>Black characters
>Overwatch OC designs

Same old shit different year this is why Western games suck. No originality no creativity and to think outside the box. Just basically copy and paste.
>>
>>383884135
>two attempts at successors to Melee
>one is filled with furries
>the other is filled with muh diversity
>>
>>383889882

Or maybe you're just wrong, have you ever thought of that ?
>>
>>383889805
They definitely are. If we're talking about engine speed, they definitely are. APM isn't an accurate way to measure either, as you gotta do at least twice the number of inputs in Melee to do what you can do in GG thanks to L-Canceling. Melee was simply not competently made. That's why directly copying it if you wanna make a competitive fighter fucking stupid. Playing a videogame shouldn't give you arthritis at the age of 30, yet simultaneously ban the Hitbox or whatever it was called cause it makes the bullshit much easier to do now.
>>
>>383889897
>I would like a true Melee-like game that is able to grow into the future and be independent from Nintendo
See that just isn't going to work. If the game is too rigid to melee it becomes pointless and no one will bother playing it over melee. Changing anything up even in minor ways will alienate a certain set of people.

Even on points many agree need addressed in melee changing that will upset some.
>>
>>383890068
Or maybe you're just wrong, have you ever thought of that ?
>>
>>383890068
I have, and came to tbe conclusion that I'm not because I have played all the games in question and watched them played competitively as well. Seems YOU are wrong.
>>
>>383889286
Rivals, Brawl, and Sm4sh are regressive as fuck and take away a lot more than they add.
>>
>>383889897
If you wanna play Melee, then play Melee? Why make a clone of a game that already exists and has way more appeal thanks to being an established brand?

You're much better off making something new and original to captivate a new audience.

A Melee clone has LESS of a future than Melee, and still won't be supported by Nintendo. Did that ever cross your mind?
>>
>>383889897
>PM can't be streamed
Twitch dot tv is the only site ever. Be sure to keep up that prime subscription, goy.

>>383890310
>I don't get it! Street Fighter 3 is, like, exactly the same as Street Fighter 2! What's the point, duh?
>>
>>383889805
They really are though. As in, the games are.
The action on the controllers may not be, but that is really and truthfully aside the point. Ideally we wouldn't even be using controllers but telepathically controlling the games with our minds as an extension of our bodies.
That may sound silly but the idea is sound. Games should be a test of our minds and how we can apply that to the movements of the game. I don't even mind Melee personally and would even prefer to play Melee over most other fighting games. But you can't seriously claim that the mess required for the inputs need to be a necessity. Let alone a desirable trait for a "fast game".

For as long as the number of meaningful actions on screen, in the game itself, are up there. The number of inputs needed to do them are completely irrelevant.
>>
>>383890363
>Street Fighter 3 is, like, exactly the same as Street Fighter 2
But it isn't, it made small changes and that was enough to alienate most of the playerbase. Even brand recognition couldn't save it till it had been dead for years and became the hipster game of choice to pretend to play.

Fighting games are volatile, small changes have big implications. You make a melee clone with a little bit different that can be enough of a change for a huge amount to reject it, without brand to fall back on.
>>
>>383890116
>>383890395
The APM is probably the main issue I have with Melee. People who hold it up as part of what makes Melee so deep don't realize that there's better ways of making your game more meaningfully complex.
>>
>>383890306
>Sm4sh
>regressive
Can't take this post seriously, man. It is so much better at all levels than Melee. Enjoy L-cancelling every time you jump, 6 useable characters with only 2 being truly great, and fucking awful air dodge and ledge mechanics.
>>
>>383890608
I like Street Fighter 3, but "scrub the entire roster except for Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li and Akuma" was not a small change.
>>
File: X7MaE.jpg (55KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
X7MaE.jpg
55KB, 640x480px
>>383890363
SF3 is totally different from 2, are you stupid? It's also an established franchise with iconic characters. This is a new IP.

This would be the same as someone making a direct clone of SF Third Strike with OC characters and trying to push it on the competitive scene cause TS is dead.

And guess what, people have tried shit like that, with much better execution than these Wavedash guys, and they failed.
>>
>>383890027
They openly admit to taking a lowest-common-denominator approach to character design: it looks like fucking hot garbage
>>
>>383890674
It's not better than Melee, better than Brawl sure, and it does improve on Melee is some ways, but there are many things in it that make it vastly inferior to it.
>>
>>383890363
SF3 is wildly different from 2, and 4 is nothing like 3. 3 is barely played because of this, and despite being "slower, more defensive, and more casual" according to 3's fans, 4 was hugely successful, far more than 3 ever was. Kind of like how Melee fans claim the same about Smash 4. The difference is that SF3 fans didn't actively try to destroy the comp scene for 4 or verbally abuse its players mid match at events...
>>
>>383890869
Like lower APM for similar results and better balance? Or due to having more content on all fronts?
>>
>>383884135
Is this Wildstar? It looks like Wildstar
>>
>>383890734
>"scrub the entire roster except for Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li and Akuma" was not a small change.
No it was the mechanical changes that killed the game

But even then you prove my point, just not having the characters is enough to piss some off. So we have a new Marth even if he is incredibly similar won't cut it
>>
>>383890969
The removal of momentum, the slower engine, the increased ease of recovery, and the hightened focus on defensive play due to shields getting buffed are all massive negatives for 4. Also, the dumb fucking rage mechanic.
>>
>>383890869
way better than Melee, and I love melee.
>>
>>383891265
>>383891323
Oh wait I thought you guys were talking about PM
I retract my statement
too different of a game to even be compared, and I prefer Melee
>>
>>383884135
Just like my shovelware PS2 platformers!
>>
>>383890674
>awful air dodge
It's so much better than Smash 4's. Check this out: If you air dodge into the ground, you get a little scoot of speed. You can use it on platforms as well. It really gives you a lot of options. Very fun. The directional airdodge can also be used to mix up recoveries, which brings me to my second point:
>awful [...] ledge mechanics
Smash 4 ledges are magnetic! You barely have to have any accuracy at all to snap to them. It makes going off-stage uninteresting and safe. You also can't hog the ledge, meaning there are less options for dealing with opponents off-stage, making the punishment for going off-stage. Sure, Melee doesn't have the best mechanics when it comes to ledge camping, but Smash 4's is one step forward, two steps back. That's regression.
As for your other points about characters and L-cancelling, I play PM lol.
>>
File: 1450977924234.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1450977924234.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>383891587
>making the punishment for going off-stage
*like a slap on the wrist
>>
>>383891265
So you are in the camp described here >>383890912

"muh slow, muh defense, fucking Smash4 reeeeee"
>>
>>383884737
>Is the Marth ripoff gonna look like Mew2King?
that would be great though
>skinny balding guy with glasses
>his story is that he's just some nerd that got a sword
>Travis Touchdown but M2K
>>
>>383891587
Directional airdodge and wavedashing has been awful since day one, you finding out about it years later and pretending to lile it won't change that.

I won't even bother with your ledge nonsense. Ledge guarding has always been a shit mechanic. Magnetic ledges are meh, but the heightened revocery abilities and ledge trumping makes offstage gameplay far more viable and consistent. Off stage is not out of play, it is just a more dangerous part of the game. More time spent playing is better. Off stage gameplay should be encouraged.

You argue like a kid who was told to enjoy Melee, not somebody would played it on release.
>>
>>383884135
>muh diversity
Jesus christ I fucking hate these retards.
Diversity isn't some scapegoat you can pull out of your ass to excuse shitty character design and say it's suddenly good now.
But it makes sense that guys who only ever modified an existing game don't know jack shit about making an actually good game themselves.
>>
>>383891826
How does that dispute the argument either of us put forth in any way?

Those are legitimate problems with Smash 4, no need to get butthurt over it.
>>
>>383891901
If they had any creativity they would do this, but instead the Marth clone is some sort of empress with a fancy sword.
>>
>>383892158
>Those are legitimate problems
Not him, but they aren't. They are things YOU don't like, and clearly something others do like.
>>
>>383892245
It's inferior design that makes the game much simpler and more boring to play.

In the same way people complained about the lowered execution barrier in SFV.
>>
>>383892158
Nah, they aren't problems, bit keep prentending they are.

>butthurt
Says the guy desperately trying to defend a dying game by trying to tear down its successor.
>>
>>383892418
>It's inferior design that makes the game much simpler and more boring to play.
It factually isn't. It isbthe same way peoplw conplained about the changes from SF2 to SF3, or SF3 to SF4. This is why nobody likes Meleefags.
>>
>>383892103
>Directional airdodge and wavedashing has been awful since day one,
Is that it? It's nice to hear your opinion, but an argument would be preferable. I actually was playing Smash 64 before Melee came out. I though the air dodge was a cool addition right from the start, even if I didn't know about wavedashing for a while.
>the heightened revocery(sic) abilities and ledge trumping makes offstage gameplay far more viable and consistent.
What is inconsistent about Melee's? If you're facing the ledge and you touch it, you grab it. If someone is on the ledge, you can't grab it. In fact, Melee's hitboxes for grabbing the ledge are much tighter and to what one would expect, so I argue that Melee has a more coherent and consistent ledge.
>Off stage is not out of play, it is just a more dangerous part of the game.
This is true of Melee, yes.
>>
>>383889625
Last Fight
>>
File: tsundere.png (17KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
tsundere.png
17KB, 200x200px
>>383892232
Is she a pretty empress?
>>
>>383884135
god it looks so fucking shit
>>
>>383892420
I genuinely don't give a fuck. I haven't played in Melee in ages, and I don't keep up with the competitive scene for either. I've moved over to Blazblue, Xrd, and sm looking forward to DBZ. In fact, I play more Smash 4 doubles online with my buddy. But whenever I go back to Melee or PM, I always have a lot more fun with it. Trying to play Smash 4 competitively just constantly reminds me how flawed the game is in terms of design. There's just a lot of bullshit in Smash 4, that's how I would describe it. Going from Blazblue to a round of Smash 4, and the contrast is fucking stark.
>>
>>383892418
>It's inferior design
No it isn't, you could say it is poorly implemented but a more defensive slow platform fighter can work

>In the same way people complained about the lowered execution barrier in SFV.
You mean the same way people complained SF4 is slow and defensive, despit ebeing considered a classic now
>>
>>383892513
They haven't shown her, but given their track record with the two females they've shown so far, I wouldn't hold my breath for a decent waifu.
>>
>>383892651
It can work, but it doesn't make it better. Melee is a lot more engaging and stimulating, and has a much higher skill ceiling.

I'm not arguing that Smash 4 is a bad game, cause it's not. I quite like it in fact, but it's certainly not better than Melee.
>>
File: 1498731520650.jpg (90KB, 500x571px) Image search: [Google]
1498731520650.jpg
90KB, 500x571px
>>383890052
That says a lot about the people who care about smash
>>
>>383892807
>but it doesn't make it better
Why? Cause it's not melee. If we judge everything on how like melee it is then no game will compete

>engaging and stimulating, and has a much higher skill ceiling.
Again lets look at SF4, slower and more defensive yet better in those regards than SFV. But SF3 players looked at 4 and went fuck that it lacks all the nuances 3 had, meanwhile the SF2 player sit behind them doing the same
>>
>>383893106
Lowered Skill ceiling, emphasis on defensive play, rage mechanic unfair, recovery too easy. All these factors lower the skill gap.

Lowered skill gap = less competitive
Less competitive = inferior to Melee

Capiche?
>>
File: IMG_3012.jpg (125KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3012.jpg
125KB, 600x600px
What does this have to do with Smash Brothers?
>>
>>383893491
It's a soulless smash clone
>>
>>383893491
It's made by Melee fanboys.
>>
>>383884135

>Generic orc
>ugly goat
>Overwatch girl

Yeah those designs are nothing special. 75% of Fighting games are just character designs.

They should probably just hired some Japanese or foreign artist, since this is generic as shit Western trash.
>>
>>383893317
>Lowered skill gap = less competitive
This is not true. Tekken 7 has made many things easier than 6 or TT2 while also adding stuff like rage arts. Yet 7 is the more widely played game reaching higher success competitively than either finally breaking 1k evo entrants.

We could make a game where everything has to be done frame perfect while doing continuous pretzel motions. Would be a wider skill gap, not a good game tho.

>emphasis on defensive play
Again here goes your autism, there is a different focus than melee so bad.
>>
>>383893779
Why are you so defensive about all this. I'm obviously not gonna convince you, and you seem to be taking everything I say way too personally rather than providing a proper argument or simply ignoring what I say and moving on with your life.

I'm not even gonna bother, cause all your posts devolve into "waa, quit disliking what I like!!" and personal attacks. Get a grip dude.
>>
File: 164de75d3fb77b308a50c5ae144b0b9d.jpg (441KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
164de75d3fb77b308a50c5ae144b0b9d.jpg
441KB, 900x1200px
>>383893741
Everyone should hire asian artists
>>
Project M is a MULTICULTURAL, MULTIETHNIC open world game made up of various religions and customs from all over the world.

FACT
>>
>>383893741
The orc isn't even generic. A generic orc would have looked better.
>>
>>383884496
>anon says he doesnt like a design
>well what are you, RAYYYCISSS?1!
Every fucking time. Cant you kids just stay on tumblr?
>>
File: wow-its-fucking-nothing.jpg (27KB, 290x350px) Image search: [Google]
wow-its-fucking-nothing.jpg
27KB, 290x350px
>>383884135
>nigh-textureless hyper geometric sci fi armour design

Unless you're deliberately aping 80s sci fi aesthetic, end this fucking meme. It doesn't look good.
>>
>>383891826
Nice argument, you fucking retard.
>>
>>383884135
Making a Smash game without smash characters is retarded. Also those designs are atrocious, from the faces to the outfits.
>>
Holy fucking shit I can't people think you must l cancel every time lol. Good shield drift di my dude.

Good job spacing peach out as Cap with a single hit nair.
>>
>>383891657
>What is cherrypicking
>>
>>383884135
Not gonna lie, those look fucking awful.
Wouldn't play a game with great mechanics if it meant I had to look at those monstrosities all the time.
>>
>>383886731
>League?
funny

I thought League myself.
>>
>>383895747
What people do when they try to deny that 90% of the game is like that.
>>
>>383897021
It's like they never understood that fighting games are all in the characters. Diversity? The fuck is that? It's all in the waifus, all successful fighting games have many hot waifus. Even ARMS understood this. It's the easiest way to reach a large crowd.
>>
>>383884135
>everyone is wearing some variation of bland futuristic armor
>>
>>383884135
>spend millions of dollars making a game for a very niche sub subsection of Smash autists

So, how many copies do you reckon this piece of shit will sell?
>>
>>383893741
>implying overdesigned character with weird outfit is better
It is
>>
>>383899148
With those designs? 40k at best. At $60 a pop, they're not even gonna come close to breaking even.
>>
>>383886101
>that microridley
pathetic
>>
>>383899461
2big4smash
>>
File: 3D_sprite_rotation_Ghastly.gif (164KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
3D_sprite_rotation_Ghastly.gif
164KB, 256x256px
>>383885395
At the least the yellow plastic band do add some contrast to her character. The general silhouette contrast is terrible as fuck, everywhere.

There is actually a good chance that at some point in the late alpha, they will realize they keep designing stuff that blends together, due extremely overlapping color ranges for the palletes, and the same "sharp edges" wannabe western comic style everywhere.
>>
>>383899640
You'd think that, but they're emulating Smash which has a lot of samey shit.
>>
>>383884135
>iconic shapes, approachable styles and appealing characters
>Big shapes, recognizable silhouettes, more simplistic color choices
I admit that these are pretty good design principles to adhere to. But to be blunt, I don't think these characters succeed in that almost at all.

Getting iconic and recognizable silhouettes is pretty damn hard, so I won't even fault them for that. But even looking at the complete designs nothing about them stand out. If you're reading this, take it to heart because I am not just bullshitting just to shit on the project itself. They don't stand out.
If you were to show this to people not familiar with the project I am pretty sure that they would think that they're characters games already out as opposed to characters from an upcoming game in development. They do little to nothing to stand on their own and event he most iconic features (relatively speaking) of the designs, relatively speaking, are only reminiscent of the actually iconic features of older already recognized characters. I am not saying you necessarily harped other characters intentionally, but once again, to be blunt. That's pretty irrelevant to whether or not others will perceive it as such or not.
>>
>>383900626
They'll look at your characters and think of other characters as opposed to the characters you have designed. A quick glance of the characters doesn't even make them stand out in a way that gives the game itself its own identity and if you squint your eyes they could even easily look like characters from a completely different game.
I'd honestly even go as far as to critique the colour design by itself. Simplistic colour choices can often be really good to make striking and recognizable designs. And by the look of it the characters do have colours that relatively speaking to the other characters, stand out. But looking at each character individually it's by far the neutral non-colour colours that stand out. Blacks, whites, silvers, greys, browns, and beige. These are not striking colours. And when they dominate the actually characterizing colours to this extent they drown them out.

But that's not all. Even disregarding the simple quantity of the colours and the imbalance therein. I'd really point to the distribution of the colours as well. It's to be frank, a little bit all over the place. It's not just say, silver and purple. But it's silver broken off by purple, then broken off by white, then broken off by purple, only to be broken off by black, only to be broken off again. See my point? It's in a way similar to the whole "lines, lines, lines" deal with lineart, but with colour. Less is often more and this honestly most likely just detracts from what the impact the designs would otherwise deliver.
>>
>>383900693
Take Megaman for instance. Initially just a plain two colours. But most importantly, the colour is broken off evenly over the full size of the design, and also importantly, only in a few places in total even so. You can easily say that is just a result of the hardware limitations from the first games, but that really isn't all there is to it. Even later with redesigns of Megaman in future instalments and spinoffs they never went overboard. Not even in the tokusatsu and cyber inspired ZX and EXE franchises. And there are good reasons for that.

Cape comics can also be a good study for colour balance with their many iconic costume designs. You should notice that even when the characters don't have many colours they're very careful with breaking up the colour but they're still typically relatively restrained with it. Of course, you could once again argue that's a result of limitations of the medium, to leave designs easier to ink and print. But that'd honestly be dismissing the artistic integrity of the artists while also exaggerating the limitations of the medium. Spider-Man, Superman, Batman, and characters like the Hulk. You'll notice common traits like belts, capes, and other things to break up the colour, in addition to, and this is fairly important. Not many other things breaking up the colour. Even iconic designs like Spider-Man that had lines all over the design, kept the striking balance between red and blue and did not allow for the lines to dominate the design. It's one of the main reasons for why Superman and Batman kept their trunks for so long. And it's why most of the designs still retain prominent belts even when they actually got rid of them. There is a lot that can be learned here.
Thread posts: 156
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.