[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

One of the few unanswered questions of Dark Souls lore... Why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 11

File: Laddersmith_Gilligan.png (1MB, 767x764px) Image search: [Google]
Laddersmith_Gilligan.png
1MB, 767x764px
One of the few unanswered questions of Dark Souls lore...

Why was he at the Profaned Capital, and how did he get there?
>>
Any DaS lore outside the first game isn't worth consideration.
>>
File: micoo.png (168KB, 542x520px) Image search: [Google]
micoo.png
168KB, 542x520px
>>383860263
Who cares, Dark Souls 2 was fucking shit.

The real question is what happened in Yaharguul.
>>
Because the director of dark souls 2 co directed 3 and he wanted to make his fanfiction cannon by shoving as much shit from it in the main series as possible
>>
I guess he got sent to the painted world at some point, built that giant fucking ladder so baby pontiff could escape . Then I guess he continued helping him out when Pontiff found the profaned capital and built more ladders until death from exhaustion?
>>
he climbed there ya dofus
>>
Well lets exam the fact shall we, there's loads of treasure and shit at the profaned capital, Gilligan is a greedy sack of shit. As to how?
F U C K I N G L A D D E R S
U
C
K
I
N
G

L
A
D
D
E
R
S
>>
>>383860415
Insight overload.
>>
>>383860415
Were the glowing people touched by the moon spirit!?

FUCK I need more eyes
>>
>game designers put random shit from previous games in
>most likely as a joke or just for HEY REMEMBER THE PREVIOUS GAME?
>players think there is some greater meaning possibly leading to the meaning of life
every time
>>
>>383860454
You literally have it backwards. Muh Miyazaki drank too much of his own Kool-Aid and stuffed as much DaS1 into it as he could fit. More DaS2 would have actually saved the abortion that was DaS3.
>>
>>383860263
Because the idiots who like Dark Souls are the world's easiest to impress people, that's how he got there, same as everything else that shouldn't be in the game like Ornstein's shit or the Storm Ruler.
>>
What was the point of dark souls 3
>>
>>383861680
DaS2's DLC ended on somewhat good situations (Considering the typical endings). Naturally, Miyazaki had to fuck everything up for his Grimdark fetish.
Also blatant Bamco greed.
>>
>>383860263
He was selling ladders. He got there by climbing ladders.
>>
1) He just wanted to sell ladders
2) By using his ladders
>>
>>383860927
You are an idiot. It's hardly Miyazaki's game. He joined as director for DaS3 when The Old Hunters dlc was finished and during the few months of its development. Most ideas where implemented by Tanimura and Okano.
>>
>>383860263
>Why was he at the Profaned Capital, and how did he get there?
to steal all that loot
>>
>>383860263
He was tryna climb shit, why else would a ladder guy be there?
>>
>>383862260
Meanwhile, DaS3 only has maybe three sets from DaS2, one secondary NPC as a corpse, and no lore representation outside of an off-hand item description, which is made even worse considering fucking vanilla DaS2 had a better story than DaS3 with DLCs added.
>>
>>383862000
Wasnt Das2 ending like sit on the throne and reignite the flame or turns off the light because MC got meme'd into 'finding another way'?. In the end is not much different from Das1, is either reignite the flame or start a dark age
>>
>>383863124
DaS2 has similar endings with different meanings, considering the Chosen Undead and BotC have different goals.
DaS2 throne ending is accepting that the curse has fucked you beyond repair, but that you can still help others by taking the Throne. DaS2 leaving ending is setting out to find a more permanent cure, since you're no longer hollowing, and that means there's a way to beat the cycle.
>>
>>383860927
This for certain.

I can't tell if people are either stupid or just have genuinely shitty opinions, but a lot things were resolved in DS2 in a better way than the were in 3, which also leads into WHY were they unresolved in 3? It's fucking stupid.

The chaos was a perfect example. The Ivory King and Alsanna's defeat of the chaos was so much more interesting and complete than the trash DS3 turned it into. In fact, it makes literally zero sense for the chaos to even exist in ds3. It all leads back into the muh time is convoluted meme, which is just the most hack thing Miyazaki could've done.

DS3 was a fucking mistake.
>>
>>383860415

Everyone knows DaS2 was shit.

Even the devs. That's why Drangleic is reduced to being a shithole land of hollows in DS3
>>
>>383860263
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk9tlgjIaSE
>>
How did he pick up such a massive ladder?
>>
>>383864917
Fuck you fag, not clicking your video.
>>
>>383864893
Drangleic isn't in DaS3
>>
>demon souls
i don't even care if background story even exists all i know is that i kill demons so the maiden can put that tree to sleep
>dark souls
everybody is trying as hard as possible to pull together a story and will use locations of items for there shit
>dark souls 2
I don't even care at this point and trying to figure anything out just makes me less interested
>dark souls 3
Didnt even read one line of dialogue or listen to anything just ran through the game and did something else. Took me six months to realize the main character isn't even an undead and thats only because a friend was talking to me about it.
>>
>>383865148

It's Londor
>>
>>383860263
People die in this game when they life has no meaning i guess, so his life always had a meaning because people need ladders, like Creighton, he liked murdering people so he lived quite long too. Just a theory tho.
>>
>>383865186
mind blown
>>
File: 3f2.jpg (33KB, 341x354px) Image search: [Google]
3f2.jpg
33KB, 341x354px
>>383865186
Please stop.
>>
>>383865473
A game theory thanks for reading
>>
>>383865592

>he didn't know
>>
File: 14c.jpg (27KB, 600x733px) Image search: [Google]
14c.jpg
27KB, 600x733px
>>383864893
>Everyone knows DaS2 was shit

Don't mind me, just over here wrapping up my second playthrough of Dark Souls 1 wishing I had half the crowd control balances from Dark Souls 2's combat.
>>
File: UFFFXIV_Minfilia.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
UFFFXIV_Minfilia.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>383865725
>He thinks Drangleic, a vast kingdom spanning conceivably over two others, is a ruined city flood in a cave
You feeling okay, Anon?
>>
>>383865725
Explain
>>
>>383865186
Are you legit stupid?

Drangleic is Drang.
>>
>>383865890
>>383865884
>>383865903

Drangleic is a place that calls to hollows. In the DS2 intro with the old firekeepers, we're told that "they all end up here, the ones like you" in reference to us being undead. Undead all end up here? Wow. If you don't immediately dismiss DS2 as unrelated trash, this should immediately become compelling.
We arrive in Drangleic without really knowing why. The DS2 intro cinematic says we're drawn in "like a moth drawn to flame."
If undead really are drawn here, then once they arrive and hollow, it becomes a land of hollows, does it not?
What if the loss of information of the outside world beyond Drangleic is not due to a vast expanse of time? What if it is due to the memory loss of becoming hollow? The theme of losing oneself is extremely pervasive in DS2, and when you pair that with the notion that Drangleic is filled with hollowing undead who don't know how they got there, it's really quite simple to see how the outside world gets lost.
Drangleic is a "walled off land, far to the North." Londor is "at world's end... as far as one can go."
The banner shown in the trailer bears the same symbol as that found on the winged knight armor. I've a strong suspicion that there's a connection between the angelic faith and Londor, as I've attempted to explore more in this thread. While a stretch, the winged knight banner is very similar to Drangleic's banner, albeit some winged creature rather than dragons.
A hollow gem, described as "plentiful in Londor," "peers into the essence of its wielder." Not proof of anything, but oddly deliberate wordplay that links Londor and Drangleic.
The Pale Shades of Londor, assassins of the Sable Church, use manikin claws. In DS2, manikin claws are described as "claws used by manikins of Harvest Valley." Cue the Harvest Valley windmill tie-in here.
>>
>>383866209
Furthermore, the manikin claws in DS2 have an extremely odd description, which I'll provide in full below:
Claws used by the manikins of Harvest Valley. The peculiar art of puppetry is a vestige of the two lost lands. The Queen, entranced by poison, used it to beckon unknowing souls to the defiled valley.
Now, you might be tempted to attribute any overlap to the notion that LOTS of lands are converging, so if they use some from DS2, then whatever. But before you do that, realize that the Dreg Heap is where lands have converged, and Londor lies beyond the Dreg Heap, at "world's end."
Finally, if you're just not willing to allow DS2 into canon, I entreat you to name a more appropriate "land of hollows" than Drangleic.
>>
>>383866209
>>383866245
Nigga Drangleic is flat out mentioned in DaS3 as Drang, a really fucking far off place from Anor Londo (As opposed to New Londo being on Anor's doorstep) where Sully got mercs to help him take over. It's one of the few things DaS3 brings up about DaS2, because Miyazaki couldn't handle the fact that his new storylines sucked ass in comparison.
>>
>>383866434
Drang isn't Drangleic. Are you retarded?
>>
>>383866645
>Drang Armor is literally the Llewellyn Set
Are you?
>>
>>383866645
Drang is Drangleic, that's obvious.
What is important is that the land is known to be connected to the linking of the fire and that DS3 never explicitly calls the place "Drangleic", only "Drang".
>>
>>383866869

>Drang is Drangleic, that's obvious.
>Anor Londo is New Londo, that's obvious.
>Undead Burg is Undead Settlement, that's obvious.
>>
>>383860263
Dark Souls 2 doesn't have a bad story, well accept the part where you have to kill four of the strongest beings alive because of rubble. but the combat I just hated because it felt really delayed.
>>
>>383867076
>accept
Except*
>>
>>383867076

>Why didn't they just bash down to the door to the kiln of the First Flame?
>>
>>383867069
Drang is definitely Drangleic.

The Drang armor in the game is the Llewellyn set, which belonged to the foreman guy in Drangleic castle.
>>
>>383867069
>Anor Londo is New Londo, that's obvious.
>Undead Burg is Undead Settlement, that's obvious.
Except for the fact that these things are demonstrably untrue. We have items from Drangleic and Drang to compare, and they're fucking identical.
>>
>>383867076
>the combat I just hated because it felt really delayed.

This is the one complaint I will never understand. Feels much less delayed than Dark Souls 1.
>>
>>383867290

>The Pale Shades of Londor, assassins of the Sable Church, use manikin claws. In DS2, manikin claws are described as "claws used by manikins of Harvest Valley." Cue the Harvest Valley windmill tie-in here.
>>
>>383865903
I had legit no idea. Wow.
>>
>>383867387
Holy fuck bro you may have something. Those Pale shad bros also have a second weapon.

This is none other than the Morion Blade, also which was in none other than motherfucking demon fucking god damn souls.

A gnarled, thorny large sword of black quartz.

"Forged from the soul of the Demon "Storm King," it is actually the marrow of the storm beasts.
These beasts take pleasure in the wielder's peril, and in these situations, the blade's attack power is greatly increased."

HOLY FUCK

In DS3 they resemble the church of londor, the DEMON PRINCE WAS THE KING OF LONDOR!!!!
>>
>>383867702
https://gameguru.one/could-londor-have-been-located-in-drangleic/
>>
>>383864893
Like Astora? Like Londor?
>>
>>383860415
mergo used micalosh to create a new physical body since his natural one was a failure, he did this by using the bodies of the villagers of yaharguul but it wasnt enough so he sent the bag men to yharnam to abduct more people to use, eventually he succeeded and mergo was reborn unto the earth
>>
>>383867856
Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait.

The Moonlight greatsword is a dragon's blade right? Seathe the fuckin' scaleless anyfuckinone?

Well, the sable "church" of londor with "assassins".

Well hear me out, HEAR ME FUCKIN' OUT!

Ludwig...

Londor...

Serious nig, serious! Church hunters, church assassins!

Moonlight mother fucking dragon sword.

BLOODBORNE confirmed motherfuckin' sequel! Holy jesus fucking christ.
>>
Do you think there's a reason to make a DeS sequel?
>>
>>383868946
FS are burnt out from souls.
>its 10th anniversary is in two years
fucking hell, /v/.
>>
>>383868590
Mergo was an invisible baby nigga.

He was the son of Oedon the invisible, you know the big muthafucka from Bloodborne? Fuckin blood good bitch.

Well, when you kills his Wet nurse ain't fuckin' nobody gonna help that lil' baby. So he fuckin' died. and you take his fucking imbelical cord nigga.

That is what happened.

Yarghuul was just looking for hosts for the knightmare until they fookin' died. Micolash was just the latest nigga to host that mothafuckin' freakshow nigga.
>>
>>383860263
>How did he get there?
He made a ladder
>>
>>383869046
What else are they good for?
>>
>>383869258
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FromSoftware_video_games
>>
By the magic of fanservice
>>
>>383869323
I wouldn't want to play any of these games.
>>
>>383869152
Kill yourself
>>
>>383869479
see>>383869694
>>
>>383869859
I'm sorry that I'm not into shit games.
>>
>>383869859
see>>383869694
>>
>>383869694

>Kill yourself

Let's delute these words here for a second nigga...

Chikage, Bloodlust, Yoshimitsu, Grave pimp nito mothafucka.

You know what these things have in common? They all dead nigga, you can kill yourself with them.

And they was in all the games nigga I am tellin' you. You got the dead, the unfuckin' dead in yarghuul you know what I'm sayin' those fuckin nugga as priest ressurectin the dead man.

All those niggas. They was the people that killed themselves ya naw what I'm sayin nikka!

You know what this all means right?

Endless continuity, prepare to die? More like kill your mothafuckin' self.

Fucking sequels man, they are all together BLOODBORE IS DARK SOULS AND THEY ALL DEMON SOULS mothafucka' holy fuckin' shit.
>>
>>383869972
>>383869859
Why are you telling people to read my completely unrelated post
>>383869984
Kill yourself
>>
>>383870474

>Endless continuity

What did I say muthafucka, i was right!
>>
Is the sarcophagus at the Cemetery of Ash, Nito's?
>>
>>383860384
This this this
>>
From the perspective of the Way of White, what are the alignments of the Lords and the Gods?
>>
>>383870834
I don't remember seeing one big enough for him.
Even if there was one it was probably for Yhorm.
>>
>>383872012
>From the perspective of people who want to sustain the age of fire, what are the alignments of other people who want to sustain the age of fire?
>>
>>383872678
What did Nito, Fina, or Velka do to sustain the Age of Fire?
>>
>>383873554
Attempt to not die.
>>
>>383872012
>>383873554
I don't think they ever stopped being cool with each other
>>
Profaned Flame is Chaos, right?

> Forbidden/profane
> Burnt its subjects
> Independent of First Flame
> Was harnessed to kill/imprison Gods in Anor Londo
> Corrupts even the purest intentions (Old Ivory King)
>>
>>383860263
>Look I made this funny gesture! How should we give it to the player?
>Just take some model from DaS2 and slap it on them.
>>
>>383863124
Staying on the throne in DaS2 can lead to either of DaS endings. Leaving the throne means a different thing here.
>>
>>383867076
> Tavel to physical ends of the world to ring two bells just to open a hatch
>>
>>383875161
Yeah entering Sen's fortress was dumb but you can actually avoid the bells if you just shoot the giant.
>>
>>383875668
wot
>>
>>383866209
>Drangleic is a place that calls to hollows.
Only because of the Emerald Herald. The land itself doesn't call out to anything anymore than any other land does. She's just been around "For aeons beyond remembrance," and no one outside of Drangleic even knows who she is, so of course they would just think hollows are drawn to it.
>>
>>383860739
I want to believe that tentacle moon spirit came down and sat them down and said "I'm gonna give you fucks some insight" and they misinterpreted the word insight as inside sight, and how do you see? With your eyes.

So they were a bunch of dumbasses who sewed eyeballs to their brains and injected themselves with space STDs that turned people into aliens or werewolves or giant centipede creatures.
>>
>>383860263
Isn't everyone an Undead in this game? How come bosses and NPCs don't respawn when killed?
>>
>>383866245
The Manikins were made by the Prince of Alken and the Princess of Venn, just like the Bell Keepers. Alken and Venn are the lands the claws are talking about. Queen Mytha then used the power in the poison to call those creatures to Harvest Valley. It has nothing to do with Londor.

How do people look into the lore and just completely disregard huge chunks of it to create moronic theories like these?
>>
>>383876382
Well sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiit
Not gonna lie i wish i didnt read this
>>
>>383875161
That actually has a purpose though. The bells signify to the giant that someone worthy of the trial is ready to move on. In Dark Souls 2 getting the souls just makes some rocks vanish.
>>
>>383875796
Just talking about bells Anon.
>>
>>383868634
>>
>>383876819
I've seen the Sen's gate skip but never shooting the giant to get him to open the gates.
>>
>>383867076
>>383876763
You need the souls to prove to Nashandra and the Emerald Herald that you're capable of becoming the next Monarch. The rubble being there is inconsequential to the story, it's just a gameplay element.
>>
>>383876925
>The rubble being there is inconsequential to the story, it's just a gameplay element
Right, which is fucking stupid, because in Dark Souls the Sen's Gate giant is both a story AND a gameplay element.
>>
>>383876763
>getting the souls just makes some rocks vanish.
Actually it makes a door open, which I guess is somehow completely different from making a portcullis open.
>>
>>383877034
How is it stupid if the complaint is about story, which the rocks clearly don't have anything to do with.
>>
Wow, DaS3 and "muh miyazaki" fans were BTFO hard in this thread
What happened?
>>
>>383867367
wrong, the "delay" in darksouls one only applies when you swing your fuckhuge sword, after it connects you can start up another slow swing or move around, dodge, etc.
in ds2 everything just feels like your fighting in syrup, this combined with the "throw 50 enemies in one zone" mentality that makes fights drag on is why it feels slower.

The "combat" isn't slower than DS1 but the look and feel of it definitely is.
>>
>>383876906
It's a fairly rare thing, it requires some setup because you need to have a greatbow before entering Sen's.
>>
>>383864849

Ditto. Ds2 is better than 3. They shit on it as if they only played 3. Babby's first souls game syndrome i guess
>>
>>383866209
You missed one crucial detail

The motivation of being drawn there was because of vendrick and his bastard wife

Vendrick because he wants to see the world succeed, and nashandra because she wants to use you
>>
>>383877904
>Vendrick because he wants to see the world succeed

Funny definition of success. But I guess Aldia was twisting him with his theories.
>>
>>383878834
not an argument.

if a point is so bad you should be able to disprove it easily with facts to back you up.

also
>look and feeling behind actions in a game don't exist
go be dishonest on some other part of the internet mate.
>>
>>383860263

Better question: where the fuck did aldia go
>>
>>383872012
This is really just a shot in the dark, so feel free to change what you like.
Gwyn - LG
The Witch of Izalith - LG
Gwyndolin - LN
The Four Knights - LN
Gwynevere - NG
Flann - NG
Nito - N
Gwyn's Firstborn - NE
Velka - NE
Fina - CN

Begs an interesting question. Why do we know next to nothing about Nito? Even the Pygmy is more fleshed out.
>>
>>383879531
>the mother of Chaos itself
>lawful
>>
>>383879725
Not like she did it on purpose. Everything she did was intended to keep the status quo.
>>
>>383860923
>game designers create a vast and detailed world with a whole backstory
>dipshits act like it's stupid to auto-complete some satisfying meaning into a work of fiction that has doesn't physically exist and can therefor mean pretty much anything you assign to it within reason
every time
>>
File: 1476318237142.jpg (56KB, 500x528px) Image search: [Google]
1476318237142.jpg
56KB, 500x528px
>>383860263
>Why was he at the Profaned Capital, and how did he get there?

>At the close of the Age of Fire, as the world ends and all lands converge upon themselves

fucking retarded
>>
To think, DS2 would be free from so much backlash (excluding soul memory and ADP) if only they had put a solid wall there instead of chest high rubble.
>>
File: shit lore.jpg (298KB, 824x1184px) Image search: [Google]
shit lore.jpg
298KB, 824x1184px
>>383867076
Shit lore
>>
>>383880758
http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/search:site/q/unknown%20origin
>>
>>383867076
>why didn't you ask the Maiden in Black to help you immediately
>>
DS1>DS2>>>>DS3
>>
>>383877490
>this combined with the "throw 50 enemies in one zone" mentality that makes fights drag on is why it feels slower.
We're talking about 2, not 3.
>>
>>383879725
She tried to recreate the first flame, the demons were unintentionally created
>>
>>383876852
What movie was this again?
>>
>>383881346
Black Dynamite
>>
>>383867367
I think its more of a mouse/keyboard issue. Lots of people were telling me that.
>>
>>383876382

You take their souls
>>
>>383876382
I've never understood this either. I get that the Lords and shit like demons and dragons are probably not undead, but then why the fuck is Laddersmith Gilligan lying stone cold wasted in the Profaned Capitol? Surely he was an undead as well... and all the people's whose ashes we find.

Is there an actual lore explanation for this?
>>
File: dark souls 3.png (615KB, 710x706px) Image search: [Google]
dark souls 3.png
615KB, 710x706px
DaS2 had issues, but DaS3 is a fucking mess.
>>
>>383881581

for some reason I have the feeling that it's more impactful when you kill them, because they go from having way more souls than a usual thing to a thing with no souls. but its mostly just because gameplay says so.
>>
>>383866209
>Londor is "at world's end... as far as one can go."
The Ringed City isn't Londor you fucking sperg
>>
Bloodborne > Demon's Souls > Dark Souls 2 (with dlc) > Dark Souls 3 (with last dlc) > Dark Souls 1
>>
File: 1483874191384.jpg (168KB, 1155x934px) Image search: [Google]
1483874191384.jpg
168KB, 1155x934px
>>383860263

In the dark soul 2
>Get the ladder
In the dark soul 3
>Get the Gestures

A shit character
>>
>>383883685
if there's one truth in life, it's that ds2 is absolutely inferior to ds1
>>
Why wasn't Drangleic Castle visible from the Slave Knight Gael boss room? I could see the castle from DS3 and Anor Londo but not Drangleic Castle.
>>
>>383884573
The complete lack of fucks they gave in 2 is amazing.
>>
>>383880975
>you can do the same for 1 & 3 but criticism against this series is only valid if it's against 2
>>
>people hating on Miyazaki-sama
What the frick, I remember like it was yesterday when we drank a beer together and discussed grim dark bridge dragons
Now excuse me, I need to delay another stream to pay for my wife's daughter's alimony
Thread posts: 136
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.