[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>get hired by a game studio >get sent to work on a project

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: evil within.jpg (61KB, 500x554px) Image search: [Google]
evil within.jpg
61KB, 500x554px
>get hired by a game studio
>get sent to work on a project for a horror game
>love horror, so I'm interested already
>get to meet the team, find out their horror game is pvp focused, with an aesthetic similar to The Evil Within
>horror pvp game

Is there even a market for this or is this studio just fucking retarded? How the fuck would horror pvp even work? Pvp means you can fight, being able to fight and kill other people means it isn't gonna be scary at all.
>>
FEAR 1 was GOAT.

If you make it engaging like FEAR 1 then it has a chance. If you make it shit like that Jason game then no.

You should have your team play FEAR 1 on lan
>>
>>383858953
could characters use weapons besides guns in that game, because these can, one looks like a cenobite ripoff and uses chains on hooks as weapons
>>
>>383858838
I'm assuming it'd work something like Dead By Daylight.
>>
PvP like spooky vs normies? Or 4v4 shooter? A 5v5 MOBA featuring iconic horror mascots? A 1v4 Evolve but the monster does spooky shit with always forced first person view? A 1v1 horror where you counterspook the other? I can't think of any real way to make shit good so try to do a good job on whatever you're assigned to for use on your resume I guess.
>>
There are tons of asymmetric PVP horror games. At least 4. Maybe 5.
Horror does not necessarily equal scary.
>>
>>383859335
picture more like gears of war or quake champions with melee and ranged weapons and the characters are both humans and weird monster shit
>>
>>383859493
This mentality is why horror in video games have been ruined. Horror absolutely should equal scary. PvP makes it inherently not scary. Think of any horror movie, would Friday the 13th be scary if everyone could fight Jason and actually win?
>>
>>383858838
Know what it honestly remind me of?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxcM3nCsglA
I couldn't help but laugh.

If you treat horror as a joke then that will it become, a fucking joke. If you have any power whatsoever (and assuming this is even for real and not a copypasta that I fell for) I would highly suggest that you tell them to either make a real horror game with *maybe* a multiplayer mode on the side once you complete the base game or just to can the idea outright. It isn't horror if it isn't scary.
>>
>>383859689
I'm not disagreeing, but that's just how it is these days.
A more appropriate label would be 'horror themed' I suppose.
>>
File: nosgoth.jpg (35KB, 560x330px) Image search: [Google]
nosgoth.jpg
35KB, 560x330px
>>383859580
Sounds like Nosgoth.
So you're right, it won't be much of a horror game, but it can still be a horror THEMED game.
>>
>>383860035
that game sucked though
>>
>>383859580
I don't think this type of stuff can catch on with large appeal. We all know reasons so no point listing them. I always thought a lot of grab attacks monsters use could be pretty spooky if always kept in first person. I think it's a shame when the camera needs to go into third person. Try to get bot support because this kind of game dies quickly and without bots it becomes a hard sell to future customers. Maybe be the bot guy I don't know.
>>
>>383860035
May just be me here but a "horror themed game" sound fucking boring to me compare to a normal decent game. More so if they are charging full price for it. Less freedom of what they can do. Basically a Halloween themed game at that point.
>>
>>383860134
Hey Nosgoth was really cool and fun... for, a while.
>>
>>383860035
Nosgoth is about as much horror as Evolve is. It's just asymmetrical and it has monsters in it, that's it. That's not horror.
>>
>>383861029
Both those games have much more of a horror theme than similar games. Look at Nosgoth compared to Gears of War, or Evolve compared to Monster Hunter
>>
>>383858838
I've had a few ideas in the past that might work, the biggest problems are balance issues and keeping the gameplay exciting by not having something so formulaic so players can stay on their toes and aren't really sure what to expect.
>>
Well Dead by Daylight and Friday the 13th : The Game, are pretty much Horror PvP games and they are really popular these days so I can see what your studio is trying to do.
>>
>>383859221
sounds gay as fuck
Jump ship
>>
>>383861570
Monster hunter isn't pvp, that's a terrible comparison. The monsters in evolve are aliens, anyway.

I would argue Gears of War has a much more horror-focused theme, my dude. It's a constant grind against an unending assault of monsters that can infect your friends and family. Nosgoth hardly focuses on the horror aspects, it literally just puts you into an arena to shoot monsters with crossbows and pistols. Gears of war has atmosphere, story, all the good stuff.
>>
>>383858838
Condemned 2 had the best horror pvp I've ever played. Whatever mode it was where one team hides the evidence and the other team storms the house, that shit was rad as hell. The game did shadows differently so turning up the brightness of your monitor didn't do shit and the only way to see enemies hiding in corners was to use your flashlight. I still have nightmares of the pig mask
>>
>>383862682
First time I played the pvp in Gears I couldn't even tell if I was playing as a locust or a human. Both teams are just 4 big dudes with guns.
Nosgoth vampires at least have horror elements. They swoop out of the sky and drag you away, they pounce out of the shadows if you get separated from the group, they disguise themselves as humans so you can't trust anyone. GoW on the other hand is two teams shooting each other.
>>
>>383858953
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlgsmZHVXt4
>>
>>383864243
Oh, totally forgot about the multi in GoW. Yeah, the multi is pretty dry.
>>
>>383864331
> the way the shots sync up with the music
terrific
>>
>>383860035
Vamps would always dominate unless you got crafty with hunters, or a team full of bigguys4u shieldbearers. OP, you may want to listen to >>383858953 nonetheless. Get your creative juices flowing, make the map spoopy for both sides is one way I can think of, but no dice with how to make it horror.
>>
Actually, removing all ability for players to interact with the opponents in any meaningful way is why spooky house walk sims are absolutely fucking terrible. Look to Amnesia and Outlast for prominent examples. Totally dull, almost meaningless games. What you want is to make fighting the opponent even more worrying than running and hiding. You want combat to be slow, weak and somewhat awkward for the player. Otherwise you remove all tension by having all scenarios devolve into run down the hall, get caught, load, don't get caught, victory screen. Condemned is a lot fucking scarier than almost any other horror game i've played. F.E.A.R was terrifying when I first played it but since then has just become a fun shooter with really solid gunplay.
>>
>>383864891
The vampires were stronger, but what was cool about the human classes was they benefited much more from teamwork. However as we all know, good teamwork is a precious commodity among internet randos.
>>
Classically competitive pvp and horror just don't mix. That's why all the half decent multiplayer games that try for horror elements, from Left 4 Dead to Friday the 13th, have the humans trying to achieve a goal and the monster(s) trying to stop the humans.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.