[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which one's the better way to experience the Prime trilogy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 183
Thread images: 23

File: metroid.png (254KB, 333x488px) Image search: [Google]
metroid.png
254KB, 333x488px
Which one's the better way to experience the Prime trilogy for the first time?
>>
tfw really want to replay these after 4 was announced but holding out hope for a switch version
>>
I only played the Trilogy, but the controls are really nice for it.
>>
Original, gamecube controller is way better than wagglin.
>>
>>383843093
Unironically the trilogy version. Aiming is pretty much the only thing the wii did well
>>
Can you play the third one with a GameCube controller? I've only played the first two on the GameCube.
>>
>>383843271
>the switch needs games
>prime trilogy could use another remake
>more people should be excited for prime 4

If they don't do this then Nintendo is retarded.
>>
Trilogy is a good way to go about playing all three entirety, but Prime 1 lacks some visual effects like the arm cannon charging since they don't work well with the Wii Remote controls, which are actually pretty decent. A lot of sequence breaking was removed as well, but that's not really a malus if it's your first time.

Prime 2 I think is mostly intact. No real difference between standalone Prime 3 and the Trilogy iteration.
>>
>>383843501
The IR sensor on the Wii was great for aiming. Wii motion+ controls kinda sucked for it in SS, but now new gyro controls aren't bad, at least from what I've played on Wii U. Don't have a Switch yet, but I hope Prime 4 uses the gyro for aiming.
>>
>>383843558
no
>>
The Trilogy is arguably the best way to play, however for your first play through I really would advise the original versions.
>>
I heard the trilogy used inferior scan logs from the European version, but I don't know what the difference between versions is.
>>
>>383843093
Original releases.

They gutted some of the graphical touches out of the Trilogy re-release and the controls aren't really worth it at all. So unless you want a substandard experience without some of the neat immersive graphical touches... Play the originals.

http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Metroid_Prime_version_differences

>>383843501
only corruption was designed around it. It's merely tacked onto the rest.
>>
Original of the first one has the better menu music.
>>
>>383843608
they used gyro for federation force and it was pretty cool
>>
>>383843601
Prime is also missing that nice water effect when you move through water, for absolutely no reason. I never played the GameCube version, but it looked nice in videos.
>>
>>383843715
>It's merely tacked onto the rest.
Its a good addition though. I mean I would also like if they added the prime 2 scanning to prime 1
>>
>>383843093
What about the third option? Emulation?
>>
>>383843814
>Its a good addition though
Not worth the gimped up graphics and morphball casualization.

Not to mention game balance changes to stuff like the Spider Guardian and Boost Guardian in Prime 2. They nerfed them.

>>383843946
Emulation still asks you to pick which version you play you dumbass.
>>
>>383843997
>Not worth the gimped up graphics and morphball casualization.
Gameplay >>> Graphics any day for me.
>>
>>383844064
But the gameplay is the same because the games aside from 3 weren't designed for that aiming scheme.

You don't actually have more fun with the waggle controls because they aren't leveraged in any way whatsoever that could improve the experience.
>>
I love the GC originals, and I already have MP 1 and 3, but I wanted the trilogy anyways, but fuck its fucking expensive as hell.

>tfw I remember seeing it in stores for the normal 60usd back when it came out but I didn't feel like buying it back then

Fuck
>>
>>383843093
Trilogy. All three games in one box plus superior control scheme.
>>
>>383844154
>waggle controls
yeah, you faggot probably also call mouse on PC "waggle", fucking faggot. Keep using your anique analog stick with terrible accuracy.
>>
>>383844154
>>But the gameplay is the same because the games aside from 3 weren't designed for that aiming scheme
That doesn't mean aiming adds nothing to it. Its more engaging.
>You don't actually have more fun with the waggle controls
I genuinely do. I like aiming more
>>
File: 1447550423828.jpg (20KB, 512x523px) Image search: [Google]
1447550423828.jpg
20KB, 512x523px
>>383843601
Isn't Prime 2 easier than it's gamecube iteration in Trilogy?
>>
>>383844154
I'd prefer 1:1 any time aiming over tanky, Hold r and stop moving to aim controls. The original two play jist as well, but the controls in Trilogy vastly improved them, whether you like motion controls or not.
>>
>>383844229
>wanted the trilogy
then fucking buy it on Wii U. Was 10 bucks once more during E3.
>>
Is it weird that I've played just about every Metroid game except for the Prime series because they're first person instead of side view?
>>
>>383844338
It is, but it also includes Hyper mode.
>>
>>383844229
I bought Muramasa instead. Told myself I already owned all three Prime titles.

Mild regret on that, but I'm also the biggest defender of classic GCN Primes in this current thread. So... Yeah.

>>383844315
No it's not, because the enemies weren't designed around it and don't behave in ways that make the aiming advantageous.

>>383844339
Don't get me wrong. Corruptions controls are immaculate. It's just that there's zero reason to paste them onto games that weren't designed for it.

>>383844447
Hyper Mode is Hard Mode with the label rubbed off.
>>
>>383844487
>No it's not, because the enemies weren't designed around it and don't behave in ways that make the aiming advantageous.
Look I am not saying the aiming is as good as it is in prime 3 where the game is designed around it or it is as good as it could be.
I am just saying it is an improvement over just "lock on" "fire"
>>
>>383844404
It's not weird, it's autistic.
>>
>>383844404
Not really. The Prime games lack the interesting movement mechanics of the side scrollers, which makes the whole backtracking thing less appealing. They're still fantastic games with a lot of love put into them to expand the Metroid universe.
>>
>>383844404
I love the prime games but that is totally fine. If you absolutely can't stand FPS or you mainly play Metroid for the platforming you won#t get much out of prime.
>>
>>383844604
>I am just saying it is an improvement over just "lock on" "fire"
But it isn't. Because it's not any more enjoyable to use when the game was designed for lock-on and fire.

You're entitled to personal opinions, but I think you're basically being stupid about this.
>>
>>383844154
>You don't actually have more fun even if you say you do
Only on /v/
>>
>>383844771
Look I replay the metroid series every six months on average. I have played through these games countless times now. I am telling you I like the trilogy aiming more
>>
>>383844780
There's absolutely nothing in the first two prime games that rewards or encourages free-aim.
>>
>>383844771
>it's not any more enjoyable to use
Shitty opinion.
>You're entitled to personal opinions, but I think you're basically being stupid about this.
Retarded hypocrite with a shitty opinion.

Fuck off.
>>
>>383844771
No more stupid than the guy saying NUH UH, NUH UH.
>>
>>383844865
Good for you guy. You don't have any valid reasons other than "cuz I said so" so, it's hardly a compelling argument.
>>
>>383844962
>You don't have any valid reasons other than "cuz I said so"
Neither do you, nigga.
>>
>>383844982
My reasons are clearly stated repeatedly:

The original controls are what the first two games are built around and the "best" experience is playing the way they were designed to be played.
>>
>>383843093
After playing 3, I really thought Gamecube. But my friend and I played through the Wii version of Prime 1 and then tried to do 2 afterwards, and it was a big step back. Just felt so slow and unwieldy. Only thing you're missing in the Prime Trilogy is the ice beam doesn't cause ice to crystallize on your arm gun when you charge it up which, while super cool, is a small price to pay. Also, I think you can carry over your scan log from playthrough to playthrough on Wii, to make it easier to scan everything.

I think you still get the Fusion suit on Wii by beating MP1, but I don't know if they implemented the NES Metroid that you could play on the GCN version by connection Fusion.
>>
Trilogy has Prime 1 and 2 in 16/9, so there is that.
>>
>>383844962
You can run and gun while moving and aiming around the screen, high or lowwhile the gcn version makes that impossible.
Alternativally, you can aim at one enemy and still fire at another on screen, and make use of splash damage from a charge shot.
Fuck off you retard.
>>
>>383843721
That's true. That menu music was godly.
>>
File: 1493064222420.jpg (196KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1493064222420.jpg
196KB, 1024x768px
>>383844881
Literally before the tutorial even ends and you fight the first boss.

Avoiding the Parasite queen shields is way more engaging.
>>
>>383845095
That's just casualized for casuals :^^^^^^^^^^) I'm kidding, but he probably won't be when he says some shit like that.
>>
File: 1498776319584.jpg (39KB, 394x360px) Image search: [Google]
1498776319584.jpg
39KB, 394x360px
free aim is better than stop moving and aim. this is the ultimate opinion and the correct one.
>>
>>383845095
>You can run and gun while moving and aiming around the screen
Which won't be particularly exciting or engaging because the enemy movement and attacks are designed around lock and strafe. It probably even breaks some enemies and makes them trivial.
>Alternatively, you can aim at one enemy and still fire at another on screen, and make use of splash damage from a charge shot
What and you're incapable of rapidly changing lock-on targets in the original? Gimme a break.

>>383845161
That's probably the only boss in the first two games to actually benefit from it. That design feels like it would be at home in Prime 3 and is the only one that's really like that.
>>
>>383845205
Actually, playing as the developers intended is the ultimate opinion.

A team of dozens of people slaved away for thousands of combined hours to tune the game for a specific control scheme. The only right way to play is the dev's way.
>>
>>383844404
yeah dude youre like so weird haha!
>>
>>383845567
who do you think added motion controls to the first two games retard?
>>
>>383845460
>That's probably the only boss in the first two games to actually benefit from it.
What about Flaahgra shooting the reflectors. I mean there is essentially a timer challenge. Way better if you can move and aim and snipe the reflector buttons
What about Thardus. I mean the entire point is that you have to aim the correct rock. If you are good enough you can get a bunch of shots while he is rolling. And you have to evade while you do that so you need to aim and shoot

Seriously I am just going mentally through the game and I can think of nothing but moments were it is advantageous.

Can you stop being so stupid?
>>
>>383845704
They were tacked on after the entire game was designed.

You're a fucking retard.
>>
>>383843093
Trilogy
>>
>>383845757
by the developers who designed the games
>>
>>383843093

I have the gamecube versions and the trilogy versions.

The gamecube ones have really awkward tank controls, and the combat isn't as good. However, as some have mentioned, it has more visual effects on the arm cannon, and it technically is the classic way to play the game. You can get used to the controls eventually but don't expect to be immediately comfortable or immersed.

The Wii versions are slightly easier; play on Veteran as this is a carbon copy of the GC's Normal difficulty. The Wii's "Normal" is a new babbymode difficulty. Control wise I have become used to this version and prefer it over the originals, though I did not feel this way at first. Once you get comfortable with the aiming controls this game plays almost like a PC FPS and it is extremely fun to play. The boss battles are more interesting, and looking around areas for secrets or enemies is a lot easier. Having to stand still to look around in the Gamecube games is suffering compared to this.

TL;DR if you are a purist, do the Gamecube versions, but the Wii versions are much more enjoyable to play overall and they are all on one disc.
>>
>>383845751
>What about Flaahgra shooting the reflectors
Piss easy with lock-on
>Way better if you can move and aim and snipe the reflector buttons
You mean way easier. Effectively casualizing it.
> I mean the entire point is that you have to aim the correct rock
Which you can lock-onto when you use the appropriate visor.
> If you are good enough you can get a bunch of shots while he is rolling.
Still possible with traditional controls.
>advantageous.
I -literally- never said it wasn't advantageous. Just that it's better to play the original way the game was designed around.
>>
>>383845460
>probably

Oh Christ, you haven't even played the Wii versions and you're sitting here bitching about them.
>>
>>383845926
With absolutely no tweaks to the first two games and their designs.

Prime 1 classic controls? Thousands of hours of professional game devs tweaking and tuning the experience and enemies.

Prime 1 Waggle controls? A quick copy paste of a control scheme and a removal of certain graphical effects.

No comparison to be had.
>>
>>383845957
I think you have never even played the Prime series.

This is the weirdest bait I have ever engaged in
>>
>>383843093
pointer aiming is miles above tank controls

ignore meme spewing idiots like
>>383843427
>>
>>383845964
I don't need to play them to know which version is better. It's not like I don't know how Prime 3 controlled.

>>383846062
Jokes on you, I'm a high level prime fan. Even got the Prime 3 Samus figma on pre-order. Spent my childhood on Metroid fansites.
>>
File: 1477425096326.jpg (65KB, 297x300px) Image search: [Google]
1477425096326.jpg
65KB, 297x300px
Was it about Metroid that always attracts these hyper-autists to these threads?
This fucking guy.
>>
>>383845932
>the combat isn't as good
What are you talking about?
Switching weapons/visor in the Trilogy is annoying, and you'll enable the crosshair-lock because lock-on and freeaim is ass.

I agree that the GC controls are weird but you'll adapt fast. You don't have to look around that much anyways since you can lock on to almost anything
>>
>>383846153
No, but you do need to play 1 and 2 with the Wii controls to know whether the Wii controls affect combat against the enemies in 1 and 2 the way you think it does, you mongoloid. You're talking out of your ass about something you have zero experience with.
>>
File: 1498781730089.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1498781730089.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>383846153
>I don't need to play them to know which version is better.
>Jokes on you, I'm a high level prime fan.
>>
>>383846389
>No, but you do need to play 1 and 2 with the Wii controls to know whether the Wii controls affect combat against the enemies in 1 and 2 the way you think it does
No I don't. I'm intimately familiar with both games and the control scheme. Most enemies are designed to be dodged with dashes and left-right strafing while locked on. Removing the limitations of the old style will make some enemies even less challenging or interesting without adding any serious improvement to enjoyability.
>zero experience with.
I've 100% completed the whole trilogy several times. I know my shit.
>>
File: 52733.jpg (19KB, 350x231px) Image search: [Google]
52733.jpg
19KB, 350x231px
>>383846513
>inferior graphics
>nerfed bosses
>casualized morphball puzzlesspring ball
>worthless free-aim that serves to do nothing but break some of the enemy and boss designs

Fuck you too. Ignorant idiot.
>>
>>383846624
>played the gamecube games
>thinks this equates 1:1 with experience with the wii versions

You're a special kind of stupid. Keep pretending your invalid opinions are valid. Go play the Trilogy versions quick then come back and have a conversation when you actually have any idea about what you're pretending to have any idea about.
>>
File: 1343368039070.jpg (6KB, 200x291px) Image search: [Google]
1343368039070.jpg
6KB, 200x291px
Prime 2 on Dolphin isn't loading most of the world textures! I'm floating with my ship, dead moth dude & the door.
Send help!
>>
>>383846987
Did they alter any of the enemy movement, AI or attack patterns? No? Then I don't need to test the new controls out. I know how it would be. I know how the enemies behave.

Try and undermine me all you want, but I know what I'm talking about.
>>
>>383846845
>>inferior graphics
Not the point of the discussion and we have been over it.

This is literally just about wiimote aiming vs gamecube controller aiming

Stop being a retard

Unless you are an original dev of prime 1 and 2 and you were fired before the trilogy because of your autism your posts are absolutely insane

Even worse that you admit you have never played the trilogy version of 1 and 2.
>>
>>383847067
>i can use my imagination to pretend what it might be like to play the game, and that's basically the same thing

Fuck you Mr. Rogers, come talk when you get back from the Land of Make-Believe.
>>
>>383847492
>Not the point of the discussion
It's perfectly valid and you're clearly biased if you want to discount it from discussion when it's one of the biggest differences between the two versions.
>This is literally just about wiimote aiming vs gamecube controller aiming
No, it's about which version is preferable. Read the fucking OP

>>383847514
How about this:
>I have an intimiate understanding of all the enemy AI and attack patterns and concluded that free-aim would only serve to make the game less engaging and easier without any tangible benefits.

Sorry that your autism can't cope with this.
>>
>>383843093
If we've learned anything from this thread, it's that you should probably play the trilogy versions at some point. Otherwise you'll risk developing extreme autism and arguing over the internet about things you know nothing about
>>
>>383847724
>It's perfectly valid and you're clearly biased if you want to discount it from discussion when it's one of the biggest differences between the two versions.
No. I already admitted those things in the very first replies and I said I value gameplay over graphics.
>No, it's about which version is preferable.
Not anymore. Sorry. A huge autist changed the topic.
>>
>>383847749
>Logged almost 500 combined hours in the Prime series
>Know nothing

Yeah fuckin' right kiddo.

>>383847798
>No. I already admitted those things in the very first replies
Irrelevant. This discussion doesn't revolve around you.
>A huge autist changed the topic.
The topic has remained the same, all that's happening is babies who can't into facts of game design would rather argue than accept some potential uncomfortable truths about their preferences.
>>
>>383843093
Wii controls was how it was meant to be played
>>
>>383847724
You're the kind of person who would read some gun magazines and watch a few documentaries and play Call of Duty 2 and then tell veterans that you know exactly what it was like to go to war.
>>
>>383843579
I don't think you can port the entire Prime 3 without motion controls without remaking some areas and gameplay ideas from the scratch
>>
>>383848031
Now you are just poking the autist.
>>
>>383848031
Prime 1/2 GCN
>designed by dozens of professionals, boss and enemy AI and attack and movement patterns tweaked and adjusted to fit the original controls

Prime 1/2 Wii
>Free-aim controls tacked on, no adjustments to AI and attack or movement patterns to compensate

You can say one way is better than the other, but there's only ONE way it was meant to played.
>>
>>383848213
There's a million miles of difference between noguns retards playing theorycraft and an obsessive fan who's played the games to exhaustion having an opinion about a control scheme.

Remember, it's not like I haven't played Corruption. I've actually played Corruption more than Prime 2. Dat Hyper Mode difficulty.
>>
>>383843093
Trilogy
>>
>>383848319
Corruption isn't Metroid Prime 1 and 2 though. They're different games, actually.
>>
>>383848214
Switch has a gyroscope anon. There's very little that wouldn't work. Just needs some tweaks for those bits that ask you to rotate your wiimote 90 degrees or whatever. Just simple sensitivity adjustments so that a less exaggerated gyro gesture can accomplish the same thing.
>>
>>383844296
Dude, waggle is literally what everyone called Wii's motion controls when it was in it's short heyday. Do you not remember?
>>
File: 1477240843394.webm (3MB, 784x432px) Image search: [Google]
1477240843394.webm
3MB, 784x432px
Here is the gamecube version.
>>
>>383848406
>Corruption isn't Metroid Prime 1 and 2 though
Are you even keeping track of the discussion? I'm familiar with Corruptions controls. That's the whole point of that post. I know how corruption controls and I know all three games games inside and out. So it's not a magical leap of faith or idiocy to claim that I know which I prefer without trying the Trilogy versions. I know Prime 1/2 well enough to know how the two would interact.
>>
File: 1499360353172.webm (3MB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
1499360353172.webm
3MB, 768x432px
>>383848536
And here is the Wii Version.
>>
>>383843093
Trilogy but turn off free aim during lock on and set the difficulty to Veteran.
>>
>>383848536
>>383848619
>Polygon plays Doom.webm
Get the fuck out of here with your exaggerated retard examples. This is the MSpaint comic of video evidence.
>>
>>383848645
Literally just searched for the first videos I could find on gamecube

Ignore the difference in skill level. In fact you are all about that you can imagine entire systems without having ever played them. So just imagine your own skill level and in which you would do better.
>>
>>383848636
This might be a better answer. Constant free-aim without ruining the enemy AI and attack pattern designs.

QoL for exploration and scanning combined with developer intented experiences during combat.
>>
>>383848754
>I could find on gamecube
**youtube
>>
>>383848754
>in which you would do better.
Again, it's not about which control scheme works better in a vacuum. It's about how the games were fucking designed.
>>
>>383848857
>It's about how the games were fucking designed.
Then the entire prime series is shit because the series was designed for 2d and not 3d.
>>
>>383848475
waggle refers more specifically to tacked on motion controls where you waggle the remote to do something that could just as easily be done by a button press. Wii Sports tennis and Mario Galaxy have waggle controls. Things like Prime 3 and Red Steel 2 don't. Here's a source:

https://www.giantbomb.com/waggle/3015-1035/
>>
>>383848475
>this meme exists, so even though it's wrong I must regurgitate it
>>
>>383848940
>Things like Prime 3 and Red Steel 2 don't.
Prime 3 also had waggle on top of the aiming though.

You are still right.
>>
>>383848940
You're an idiot and any motion control whatsoever is considered to be waggle. There's a specific kind of gesture that's also called a waggle, but colloquially, waggle means motion controls.
>>
>>383843093

Wii Version, free aiming controls are fantastic, only prime 3 has any unnecessary waggle. Plus native widescreen.
>>
File: Reggie_Shrug.jpg (45KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Reggie_Shrug.jpg
45KB, 640x480px
I've been meaning to go back to Echoes and try it again. I played the first Prime and my god I loved it. After that, I was really looking forward to Echoes. Than, I get it around release and hate the fuck out of it. Everything just felt so much more annoying and tedious as fuck. I especially hated the hell out of the dark world. Though, that might be just my teenage self being frustrated with it. Is it worth a revisit?
>>
>>383849191
Definitely. You must've been in a really weird mood.
>>
>>383849191
>Is it worth a revisit?
Yes. A common thing Prime fans say is that when they come back to Prime 2, many find it preferable to Prime 1 and award it the status of "best Prime game"

Try it. I'm still on the fence about my favorite among the three because of Prime 2.
>>
>>383848940
>could just as easily be done by a button press

yeah show me free aiming and movement in the GC game
it's a worse control scheme meant to make up for the GC's lack of twin sticks and the Wii ver fixes it
>>
>>383843709

>Trilogy best versions
>but play the not as good versions your first time

for what purpose? Why not just play it all the trilogy version?
>>
>>383848547
But you haven't actually experienced how they interact, so it's still speculation and imagination.
>>
>>383849016
>any motion control whatsoever is considered to be waggle

this isn't true, and I'd ask that you google the term and verify the definition. I've already linked to a page defining it, but you're free to compare it with other websites

>>383849323
I specifically cite prime 3 as an example where the term 'waggle controls' doesn't apply
>>
>>383849440
I don't need to experience it.

I'll have more freedom in movement and that's going to make dodging attacks even easier. Certain enemies like Sheegoths and Grenchlers will be easier too. It will make the game easier and less engaging.
>>
>>383849406
Small things. Like the menu screens are missing
I know that sounds like nothing but that way you have the complete experience.

I mean you are going to replay them at some point anyway
So might as well play the gamecube version first and then later when you feel like replaying them play the trilogy.
>>
>>383849510
Google isn't the arbiter of human language or conversation.

Get the fuck out.
>>
>>383849575

First person game with the wii controls I thought just felt so much better than using any controller based system though.
>>
>>383844339
>I'd prefer 1:1 any time aiming over tanky, Hold r and stop moving to aim controls.
Neither of those controls is used in either version of Prime.

Prime originally used lock-on to focus the recticle on an enemy, essentially Z-targeting.

Wii Prime ALSO uses this lock on scheme, except now you have to point the reticle at ... the exact center of the screen. Sometimes there are variations, like shoot off center targets, or maybe prediction motion slightly for faster enemies (never really need to do this).

Maybe if you use the advanced controls, forge the lock on and play it like an fps. Maybe. The wiimote never felt right to me for this.
>>
>>383849565
But you don't know how engaging it will be until you sit down and see how engaged you are. It's all about how one feels in the moment.
>>
>>383843093
>Which one's the better way to experience the Prime trilogy for the first time?

There's a simple axiom to keep in mind when it comes to Nintendo and re-releases: Every new revision deducts content due to censorship, changes content due to censorship, or shoehorns retarded gimmicks to boost sales for Nintendo's latest hardware failure ... or all of the above.

Metroid Prime is no exception.
>>
File: define waggle controls.png (32KB, 682x563px) Image search: [Google]
define waggle controls.png
32KB, 682x563px
>>383849648
I wasn't asking you to ask google's opinion. I was suggesting that you use google to find examples of usage and websites where they define the term. In fact, google doesn't offer a definition for it or related terms. Pic related
>>
>>383849825
>First person game with the wii controls I thought just felt so much better than using any controller based system though.
Except that the Prime 1/2 controls aren't comparable to other controller based systems since you control your movement with only one stick and leave most of the X/Y axis stuff to the lock-on.
>>
>>383849870
>But you don't know how engaging it will be until you sit down and see how engaged you are
If it's easier, it's less engaging.

The Prime 3 control scheme makes the games easier when applied to games not designed around it. This is where my developer intent argument comes in. They intended for a certain level of challenge and the waggle controls damage that.
>>
>>383849952
None of those google results matter either.

Waggle = motion controls. Live with it.
>>
>>383848536
This person is functionally retarded.
>>
>>383850051
You are literally talking about a game you haven't played.
Fuck you man.
>>
File: 1499275171470.jpg (12KB, 229x190px) Image search: [Google]
1499275171470.jpg
12KB, 229x190px
Prime Trilogy feels great with the Wiimote controls. Shame that the console with the best setup for FPS hardly got any.
>>
File: Dk_thumbs_up.jpg (7KB, 246x205px) Image search: [Google]
Dk_thumbs_up.jpg
7KB, 246x205px
>>383849278
>>383849295
Alright. I'll go and give it another shot one of these days. I luckily still have my old gamecube to play it.
>>
Can you play them with a tiny deadzone? I don't feel like hooking up my Wii U to play them and would rather use a mouse.
>>
>>383849016
>any motion control whatsoever is considered to be waggle
Aiming and to a lesser degree gyro-axes are not waggle.
Waggle is having to use the motion sensors as a button. It is fucking annoying as hell.
Aiming with the Wiimote is not waggle, is not bad, and is an acceptable couch substitute for a mouse.
>>
>>383850130
I've played all the games and I've used all the control schemes. Trilogy is inferior on a couple levels:
>Inferior challenge
>Inferior graphics
Sorry you can't handle that.
>>
>>383850236
Aiming with the wiimote is shit because you need to point offscreen to turn.
>>
File: On Dolphin 5.0.png (1MB, 1776x992px) Image search: [Google]
On Dolphin 5.0.png
1MB, 1776x992px
Halp!
>>
>>383850051
Devs aren't infallible though. What they intended isn't always what's best, so that would be a faulty argument even if you had the experience with the game to make it.
>>
>>383850119
I think for terms like 'waggle controls', usage on internet forums is a pretty major indicator of what it means. I'd go as far as to say usage on internet forums and gaming websites is the arbiter of the meaning of this particular term, and as far as I've seen it's almost always used to refer to a strict subset of motion controls. Until you show me widespread examples where it refers to all motion controls, I'll remain unconvinced
>>
>>383850140
Wii U and Switch are equal and possibly superior for FPS.

Gyro aiming is god tier.

>>383850462
>Devs aren't infallible though. What they intended isn't always what's best
Except in the cases of incredibly talented developers like Retro who have done nothing but release critically acclaimed masterpieces.
>>
>>383850569
Good track record ≠ infallible. Platinum Games still pooped out Star Fox Zero. A bunch of Banjo-Kazooie devs still took a hot, steaming Yooka-Laylee. From what I heard, Nintendo had to come in and tell Retro how to do some things better.
>>
>>383850924
>Platinum Games still pooped out Star Fox Zero.
And we can all collectively blame Miyamoto in combination with Japanese social ethics. Anybody who blames Platinum for Zero is retarded. They were brought in at a later stage of development to try and save it.

>From what I heard, Nintendo had to come in and tell Retro how to do some things better.
Of course they did, but that's just one of the studio's strengths. Other studios have to fly blind. Retro has one of the most talented and respected game developers of all time on speed dial.
>>
>>383844771
Didn't you literally admit that you haven't even played the Wii versions? If anything you're the stupid one here.
>>
I played Prime 1 and 2 to completion on the GC and enjoyed them. I dropped Prime 3 after only an hour into it. It's boring and bland.

Should I replay the trilogy and play Prime 3 to the end?
>>
File: 1317872190782.jpg (468KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1317872190782.jpg
468KB, 1024x1024px
https://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/960329-metroid-prime-trilogy/saves

download the first save there, and you'll have access to the entire content of the Trilogy, I mean, I think you can't even get those anymore because NINTENDO WFC is permanently offline so yeah

the pointer controls work fine for all 3 games, the Trilogy version of Prime 1 is missing a couple visual effects, which is a bit of a bummer, but definetly not a deal breaker

Trilogy has some neat shit to unlock with the tokens system, as well as having native widescreen, so all that's left is making sure you're playing on the appropriate difficulty settings (I'm sure someone has alreayd talked on this thread about... Trilogy Prime 2's Hard mode being Prime 2's Normal, was it? it's something like that), anyways, that's the only info you should look up on before starting your playthrough
>>
Objectively the trilogy version due to native 16:9 and progressive scan if you're on original hardware. The aiming is also leaps and bounds better.
>>
File: 1317623651750.jpg (49KB, 300x465px) Image search: [Google]
1317623651750.jpg
49KB, 300x465px
>>383845957
>Piss easy with lock-on
>You mean way easier. Effectively casualizing it.
>Which you can lock-onto when you use the appropriate visor.
so, we're agreed that the Trilogy is the better way to play Prime 1 and 2 then

inb4 you defend hold lock on+spam A
>>
>>383851710

Is it possible to get that save file on the Wii U Trilogy or is that only for emulation?
>>
File: 1280997546560.jpg (171KB, 448x480px) Image search: [Google]
1280997546560.jpg
171KB, 448x480px
>>383843093
>1 and 2 use waggle well and never shoves them in your face
>3 suddenly turns it into a gimmick and takes every opportunity to remind you that motion controls are a thing

definitely jarring if you're playing the trilogy from start to finish.
>>
>>383852246
just go into the vwii and swap out the files. the eshop version is just a forwarder to the vwii
>>
File: 1441841405622.jpg (21KB, 466x359px) Image search: [Google]
1441841405622.jpg
21KB, 466x359px
Emulate 1.0 of the originals. Tank controls are fine when you stop trying to play it like an FPS and 1.0 has a lot of fun sequence breaks that lead to awesome replayability.
>>
>>383843093
how hard would it be to make a 360 controller profile for dolphin that let me effectively emulate the shitty pointing gimmick with two sticks? I enjoyed the first Prime fucking forever ago when it came out, playing with those awful single-stick-shooter controls, but I'm not sure I could go back to that now to replay them and even though I have a wiimote I can connect easily enough I sure as fuck don't want to do it that way
>>
>>383851419
Might as well. The Wii waggle, for all of its shortcomings in pretty much every other game, makes 1 & 2 a lot more engaging and, dare I say, fun.

Finish 3 just to set yourself up for 4
>>
trilogy, the "devs intention" is irrelevant when the free aiming feels much better to play. you think retro wouldn't have make it control like a regular fps if the gamecube had a regular controller?
>>
>>383843093

Both controls are good

Trilogy because it's literally the only good time motion controls are fucking used correctly
>>
Is the trilogy version of MP1 based on the original NA version or the gimped yuro/player's choice version?
>>
>>383853564
>you think retro wouldn't have make it control like a regular fps if the gamecube had a regular controller?
But it they didn't and it wasn't.

So they had to adapt and the design reflects it.
>>
>>383855212
Europe port
They also changed a few lore pieces in MP1 regarding the worm or the actual metroid prime
>>
>>383851080
>star fox zero was bad because they had nintendo helping them
>having nintendo helping them was one of retro's strengths

And he's gone full retard.
>>
>>383858329
Do other studios get to consult with Nintendo on a daily basis?

This is nothing but a strength. Metroid Prime was great because Nintendo helped them make it great. But trying to separate Retro from their supports with Nintendo is retarded. Part of the Retro "package" is that Nintendo factor.
>>
>>383849295

Would I be best off playing 1 then 2 and forgoing the rest? I REALLY don't want to play motion controls.
>>
>>383858719
No. Prime 3 is one of the best motion control games ever. It's the argument for them having potential.

Like full stop. Play it. The controls work well. It's mostly just for aiming and couple immersive door opening type things. Turning a knob left or pumping a lever a couple times. It's more of that good ol' Prime stuff. Some people like it the least, but it's still a great game.
>>
>>383858519
But that strength is the reason Star Fox Zero is bad?
>>
>>383852887

Sequence breaks? I mean I get what they are but in this context?
>>
>>383858719
the motion controls are great and you should try them before writing them off, unless of course you don't have access to a wiimote
>>
>>383858915
No. Miyamoto is what made Starfox bad. He's past his prime and needs to retire. Because he's such a legend, people aren't able to properly tell him when an idea is bad.

But Retro benefited from please pardon the pun but "Prime Era" Miyamoto. His successes with Starfox 64, OoT and others were much more recent at the time. His still "had it". Anyways, beyodn that, Miyamoto wasn't there for many of Retro's other successes, but that Nintendo factor was.
>>
>>383858989
>>383858881

Alright, I am hearing you too pretty loud and clear.

Though Let me ask either of you (or anyone else) if you played CoD 3 on the Wii and how those controls feel in comparison. That informed a lot of my experiences of how good motion controls on FPS felt.

It didn't feel good.

I got tendinitis is what I am saying. Though that is my fault from excessive vidya exertion, playing Tennis and Baseball, and learning to mb
>>
Trilogy has censored dialog, can't unlock the original metroid, is missing effects ie graphics are actually worse, prime 3 doesn't have the wifi extras so you'll never 100% the game.

I mean it's a nice package and likely cheaper but the superior revisions are the individual releases.
>>
>>383853480
>waggle
>mp 1 or 2
>>
>>383844338
I think they really only fixed Quadraxis' broken ass
>>
File: Emperor_ing.png (2MB, 1920x868px) Image search: [Google]
Emperor_ing.png
2MB, 1920x868px
>emperor ing on hyper mode
free me from this terror
>>
>>383859523
Haven't played cod 3 so I can't say, but if I had to guess I'd say retro did a better job than whatever shovelware studio handled the cod 3 wii port

>I got tendinitis is what I am saying
well then I wouldn't blame you for finding standard controls more comfortable. Playing the prime games with motion controls does involve a bunch of wrist movement
>>
>>383849895
>shitposting a mp trilogy thread
why?
>>
File: darksuitwardrobemalfunction.jpg (209KB, 1024x1647px) Image search: [Google]
darksuitwardrobemalfunction.jpg
209KB, 1024x1647px
>>383860379
I just beat it the other day, phase one is easiest spamming annihilator on the tentacles and light beam charges on the core. Missiles for tentacles and regular charges for the core when you run out of ammo.
Phase 2 is basically use all your power bombs and phase 3 just throws beam ammo at you so just focus on dodging and waiting until he's weak to light and go ham.
>>
>>383860379
+ super missiling the core phase one can be real easy to fuck up and right there it's gonna cost you the most
>>
File: 1498021844609.jpg (931KB, 1024x724px) Image search: [Google]
1498021844609.jpg
931KB, 1024x724px
I'm playing trilogy version on the Dolphin emulator. It has a steady framerate and works surprisingly well on keyboard and mouse. I beat the first Prime on this and the GameCube, and I'm preferring the emulator version. Play that if you got the pc that can handle it
>>
>>383858927
You can get the double jump as the first upgrade with ease in the 1.0 version. This rewrites the order you need to do things. You can get the plasma beam (usually obtained as the second last major upgrade) the minute you get the wave beam
>>
>>383843501
>Aiming is pretty much the only thing the wii did well
Except for the fact that the Wii's "protogyro" is terrible. It's really slow at detecting movement and that's why pretty much no matter what you do it's going to be jittery.

People unironically trying to defend the Wii on /v/ is the funniest shit. The WiiU gamepad, 3DS, Vita, Switch everything, Steam Controller, and Dualshock 4 all have better motion control technology than the Wii. Fuck off.
>>
>>383862534
bump
>>
>>383863042
Metroid Prime doesn't use gyro at all.
>>
>>383864984
The wii motion sensor shit that led to gyro eventually. They all use that to aim. And it murders your wrists and doesn't even have the major benefits of real gyro like precision aiming and snap movements.
>>
>>383846845
how does the free aim breaks the designs?
>>
>>383850448
kek
>>
>>383843093
Separate games as you're not forced to use shitty waggle controls
>>
>>383862579

Thanks for the insight.
>>
>>383860379
Apparently you can wreck his phase 1 with the screw attack and some timing.
>>
>>383843093
Prime is absolute trash that killed the series. Fuck off.
Thread posts: 183
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.