[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was Shadow of Mordor so well-received? It's painfully

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 547265.jpg (995KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
547265.jpg
995KB, 1920x1080px
Why was Shadow of Mordor so well-received? It's painfully mediocre, and the open world is one of the least interesting or fun to explore that I've ever seen.

I'm playing through it now, and while the game isn't BAD, I feel like every single second is a struggle to keep playing as my finger itches closer and closer to the escape key.
>>
>>383828848
Emergent gameplay in the way you can create your own enemy or mind control him into serving you.

Which is at least innovative even if the execution is not necessarily the best.
>>
>>383828848
Nothing else came out around it

A small bucket of water in a desert appears as a oasis to a thirsty traveller
>>
>>383828848
"Painfully mediocre" among a pile of shit is the new "good" or at least "good enough".
>>
>>383829249
This. It was a bad year and even a less stinky pile of shit is better than the stinky pile of shit games put out around it
>>
>>383828848

The nemesis system is pretty much the major draw point of the game. The world is lacklustre and pretty small but I think it was held back by last gen consoles when it was developed. It's a fun romp though and you can get it dirt cheap now so it's worth trying. Definitely not worth full retail price though but honestly not many games nowadays are.
>>
>>383828848
I don't know either. It really is shite. Don't bother finishing it mate, it ends with a QTE final boss with Sauron. There you go. Don't need to play it now.
>>
>>383828848
That's because it is __fun_
>>
>>383828848
Dunno. I don't think a game can be considered good with batman combat.
>>
>>383828848
I watched a gameplay demo of the sequel. It looks like it'll scratch the "take over a giant fortress with a giant army" itch until Bannerlord comes out (aka never ever
>>
File: mordor.jpg (64KB, 630x349px) Image search: [Google]
mordor.jpg
64KB, 630x349px
>>383829712
>he thinks the Sauron fight was why people play the game

There are two types of players. The people that rushed to the end and were disappointed and the people that sunk a few hundred hours into playing with the nemesis system and probably never even saw the end of the game. The former hate the game, the latter loved it.
>>
yeah I sunk around 10 hours into it. it was fucking shite. the worst shit was the nemesis system. your combat gets interrupted by 3 cunts doing an annoying cut scene over and over.

The combat was face roll easy.
>>
>>383829249
This. It was also really graphically impressive for the time, because no one had their shit together at the start of the generation. Also a lot of normies don't really beat games, so they enjoy shit they can just wander around in aimlessly for an hour before their girlfriend makes them do something else.
>>
>>383831641
Im about 10 hours in and you cant really say the combat is easy when the majority of the enemy captains are still level 8s with easy vulnerablities.
I think the other anon was right about the way you play is ultimately how your experience is going to turn out.

If i was actually going to complain about something, the climbing mechanics suck, drops are hardly enjoyable, and the missions boil down to "kill orcs".
All of which seem to be greatly improved in the sequel.
>>
>>383831406
The nemesis system did nothing for me at all for two reasons. All of the orcs sound the same and have very few personality differences. And that when you kill orcs from the list, they respawn, so why should give a shit about giving this random orc a personality
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.