[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Always loved the 2D metroid games but never really dabbled with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

File: file.png (863KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
863KB, 1920x1080px
Always loved the 2D metroid games but never really dabbled with the 3d ones. Downloading this for Dolphin right now, got my GCN controller all ready.

How does it hold up?
>>
Amazing. I played it for the first time about a year ago, and played it a second time immediately after.
It's as perfect as you can get to a 3D crossover. Sure the aiming is kind of a hassle, but you definitely get used to it.
Some people hated the scanning, but I thought it was a pretty neat mechanic for adding more storyline.

Fuck what Jontron says, definitely in my top 5. Metroid Prime 2, not so much....
>>
>>383788502
Well.
>>
>>383788502
Do you like tank controls and reading? I like it
>>
>>383788502
It's objectively the best way to play it. Remember, it's not really an fps. It's an adventure game which just happens to have shooting. You'll use the lock-on for nearly all combat. It's Space-Zelda.
>>
>>383788502
This game doesn't control like your modern FPS, but you'll get use to it.

Other than that, the game still looks stunning and it's probably the most atmospheric game to ever have existed.

It's kind of linear though.
>>
>>383788676
I love Prime 1 over 2 but I would like some of the abilities from 2 in 1 like the screw ball.

I do hate prime 2's suit
>>
Downloading the trilogy right now on wii u
>>
>>383788872
How's the Wiimote aiming in Trilogy's Prime 1 and 2? I did play Prime 3 when it came out and I gound the aiming okay, but that was only because you didn't need to change beams mid-fight.
>>
File: 1454678471270.jpg (1MB, 1000x1499px) Image search: [Google]
1454678471270.jpg
1MB, 1000x1499px
>>383788502
Prime holds up extremely well. Controls may take some time to get used to, but when you get the hang of it, it really is great.
>>
>FPS
>one analog stick
>platforming
>backtracking is a mess due to the above
>scanning brings pacing to a grinding halt every other room
>mostly mediocre designs

It does have some incredible atmosphere at points, with an incredible score, but the game's always been massively overrated to me.

http://webmshare.com/play/3ynRj
>>
>>383789092
>momo

Fucking gross dude
>>
>>383789302
who?
>>
If I wanted to play the Metroid Prime trilogy through emulation, do I go GCN originals with gamepad or Wii ports with actual Wiimote and nunchuck?
>>
PAL or NTSC?
>>
>>383790839
NTSC
>>
>>383789937
Going with the GCN controls on emulator is probably the safest, of course with Prime 3 you don't have a choice since it was a wii title to begin with.
If you can set it up properly it's probably fine tho, a friend of mine couldn't get into Prime until the Wii rerelease.
>>
>>383790839
The earliest NTSC release is a lot easier to break, but for the casual playthrough you're probably better off with PAL, some oversights like a boss its music literally not playing properly got fixed and because of scan text changes that would come to later NTSC releases it's also the "canon" version.

NTSC was honestly borderline unfinished, even if it makes it way more fun to speedrun.
>>
>>383791551
Said boss music:
https://www.metroid2002.com/version_differences_flaahgra.php
>>
>>383791551
>NTSC was honestly borderline unfinished
Let's not get stupid, here.
>>
I really like metroid games
>>
File: file.png (41KB, 267x986px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
41KB, 267x986px
>>383792320
Just look up the amount of version differences that are just fixes for stuff straight up missing, disappearing or working incorrectly entirely, especially when there were only about 2-3 months between NTSC and NTSC-J, they must've been suffering under extreme deadline pressure, no surprise considering the length of development.

The NTSC version is still a great game but it's full of "if only we had a bit more time" kinda issues.
>>
>>383794372
>The top of the Arboretum Runic Gate is blocked [with an invisible wall] in the Japanese, European, Australian, North American 0-01 and North American Player's Choice versions of the game.
Right off the bat a negative change. Like I said,
>borderline unfinished
>Let's not get stupid, here
>>
>>383789041
Everyone says it's shit but I personally can't imagine going back to a GameCube controller for prime one and two, once you get used to it it's 100 times better
>>
>>383789041
Too easy. Going back and replaying 1 was way easier than I remembered in the first place, couldn't imagine doing it with free aim and enjoying it.
>>
>>383794372
The NTSC-U version is far superior, save for a few crash/softlock bugs.
The only one you'd run into without knowing is the Phazon Elite softlock.
>>
>>383791551
the scan text changes are the worst part
the original NTSC lore was way cooler
>>
File: Light Suit.png (2MB, 1920x866px) Image search: [Google]
Light Suit.png
2MB, 1920x866px
Can somebody please post comparison screenshots of how the original Prime looked at 60Hz on GC and how it looks emulated and upscaled on Dolphin?

I'm joining the PC master race soon and I want to see how much better it'll look
>>
>>383795118
It ran 480p, like the rest of the gamecube games. I'm sure it'd be easier to find screenshots of the original game than emulated and enhanced ones.

Looks great regardless because it was well stylized.
>>
Been playing the prime trilogy on dolphin with my wiimote. Looks and runs great. Been having lots of fun but been getting lost easily looking to progress. Just picked up the water suit.
>>
>>383794497
>Ice Shriekers stop spawning for no reason
>Omega Pirate forgets to break out of its container if you don't let it happen in the cutscene
>All narration is gone
>Your menu doesn't show your collection% or time played
>Fission and Hunter Metroids straight up missing in several sections
>Shot reflections on Metroid Prime are missing their sound effects
>Flaaghra's music loops the first part over and over
>Prime phase 2's music never plays if you skip the cutscene (Only JP fixed this though, PAL got it again for some reason)
>Ice Beam is missing particle effects
>Grapple Beam acquisition has no animation

Those are well beyond the scope of just sequence break patching and well into the realm of polishing phases being cut short.

>>383794943
I agree that the original was cooler but considering the entire game revolves around opening the barrier, it was probably a leftover of an old version of the plot where the barrier wasn't as big of an issue. It's less interesting but a metroid, being a magic energy manipulating being to begin with, piercing the barrier while the space pirates can't is a lot more probable and probably felt better to the writers.

Like either a slightly bigger plothole with more interesting lore or a smaller one with less interesting lore? In retrospect it's easy to say the old one was more fun for players but from the writers their pov it might feel a lot different.

>>383794907
How? No one is gonna be scan dash jumping to Space Jump Boots on their first playthrough. Genuinely curious what people prefer about it for a vanilla playthrough.
>>
File: 1493628843433.jpg (10KB, 208x200px) Image search: [Google]
1493628843433.jpg
10KB, 208x200px
>>383795725
>water suit.
>>
>>383795921
For a vanilla playthrough I suppose it's fine, but I wouldn't want to be gimped like that.
>>
>>383795975
I was assuming this was in response to the person playing on emulator so I figured switching to NTSC if the casual playthrough motivated you to speedrun was a matter of just downloading another ISO.
Guess it's more sketchy if you get it on console tho with region locking and stuff forcing you to get a mod or second console.
>>
>>383795921
>Omega Pirate forgets to break out of its container if you don't let it happen in the cutscene
I just got done watching that and I'm not sure I see it. It clearly breaks out.
>All narration is gone
This is a good thing.
>Your menu doesn't show your collection% or time played
These are showed at the main menu, no? Like in Super Metroid.
Everything else is most certainly an issue with polish. So it's not unfinished, it is plagued with a lack of polish.
>>
>>383795921
You have to be pretty hot on the trigger to make that happen.
>>
>>383796384
I agree with the narration being unnecessary but I meant it as an argument in favor of arguing they forgot a lot of stuff the first time.

As for the Omega Pirate, in NTSC if you skip the scene it will start the fight in its sleeping in tube pose, and its AI wont start until you damage it.
https://www.metroid2002.com/boss_tricks_omega_pirate_sleeping.php

But ye I guess it's a difference of opinion on what constitutes "unfinished"
I work in software development and these kind of issues plague my mind like nothing else when our releases contain this kinda stuff, but I suppose to a lot of people they're considered negligible.
>>
>>383788787
So is it better to emulate the GC or Wii version?

Is it worth to invest some time to emulate the wiimote on a steam controller?
>>
File: metroid death animation.gif (143KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
metroid death animation.gif
143KB, 300x300px
speed runs are pretty fun but FUCK wallcralls
>>
>>383788502
>How does it hold up?

Your progress is constantly marred by having to scan shit to collect all the game's lore, and sometimes to open hatches or activate something. It's an incredibly shitty mechanic that never should have been introduced.

Do yourself a favor and download a game save that already has all the log data collected so you don't have to bother with most of it.
https://www.gamefaqs.com/gamecube/447244-metroid-prime/saves
>>
>>383800086
The circumstances in which you have to scan stuff to progress are fairly rare. Lore is there for its own sake, if you don't want it then don't bother with it.
>>
>>383798019
It doesn't really matter, just know that normal difficulty in wii= Easy and veteran is the real normal mode.
>>
>>383794497

The other anon is right. The earliest prints of the NTSC-U version are an obvious beta. The game randomly locks-up.
>>
>>383800817
>are an obvious beta
I don't think you understand what a beta video game looks like.
>>
>>383800306
>Lore is there for its own sake

You have to scan it to unlock game features. It's not entirely optional.
>>
>>383801025
Only bonus shit like the secret ending and a few art galleries. It's no different to getting 100% in any other game.
>>
>>383800997

Obviously you have no idea what you're talking about, or you're being a contrarian troll. Fuck off and stop derailing the thread.
>>
>>383801529
I was a beta tester from 2009-2011. So yeah. Granted Nintendo isn't the same as Ubisoft.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTEn14TsK0s
>>
>>383795921
it's not just the changed prime/pirate lore, they changed all the chozo lore too and made it way less interesting
the retconned prime lore actually hinted at the main enemy and gameplay mechanics of the boss as well, so removing that for the sake of plot convenience feels way more egregious to me than it would otherwise for just not being as cool
the fact that I still remember that bit well enough so many years later to actually be disappointed in its removal speaks volumes, same with the chozo stuff
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.