[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get into horror games, but sudden noises and visuals

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: horror.png (46KB, 461x461px) Image search: [Google]
horror.png
46KB, 461x461px
I want to get into horror games, but sudden noises and visuals scare the shit out of me. Is there any trick to get through this? Maybe play while drunk or something?
>>
My friend says when he anticipates something about to scare him, he looks a bit to the right (or left) off screen.

And I guess.. don't use headphones?
>>
>>383771218
Die on purpose a couple of times and then you realize there's not really a threat. In most games you'll also realize how utterly incompetent the things after you are.
>>
>>383771218
>sudden noises and visuals scare the shit out of me
that's the point
>>
>>383771218
>I really like swimming
>But I don't want to get wet
>>
Play horror games which don't rely on those, like Resident Evil, Fatal Frame and Silent Hill.
>>
>>383771218
>I really like cheeseburgers
>but I hate digesting food
>>
>>383771218
I saw you shit yourself in the danganronpa thread

Basically if the horror game you're playing is reliant on jumpscares, then it's a bad horror game. Good horror games rely on atmosphere and invoking a sense of morbid curiosity in the player.
But yeah, if you're really this much of a pussy, you can just play some kind of light-hearted music on the background. That defeats the purpose though since audio is an important part of horror.
What games did you set your sights on?
>>
>>383771218
>but sudden noises and visuals scare the shit out of me
Then face your fucking fear bitch, and overcome it. I dunno, play Outlast, for example.
>>
>>383771437
No, jumpscares are a retarded, godawful excuse for horror. Jumpscares are not horror, and games like outlast are trash.
Look for atmospheric horror games. Silent Hill 1, 2, 3 are good examples of this.
>>
>>383771806
Don't. Outlast is actually a pretty bad game, at least the first one. It's built up to be a LPer bait.
>>
>>383771218
Play System Shock 2
>>
>>383771849
SIlent Hill is full of jumpscares.
>>
>>383771849
>being scared isn't the point of horror games
???
>>
File: 1443152913958.png (1MB, 1125x1168px) Image search: [Google]
1443152913958.png
1MB, 1125x1168px
>>383771849
>have the same outlook on horror
>play pretty much everything horror in the PS2 library
>and then the xbox and GC library
>and then everything derivative of that
>run out of horror games to play
>switch to RPGmaker horror games like Witch's House, Mogeko Castle, Mikoto Nikki, etc
>most of them were actually pretty good, and their short length prevents the premise from getting stale
I'm afraid it's a downward slope. What will I play when I run out of those?
>>
>>383771930
>one and a half per game

Compared to Dead Space where every monster encounter is set up like a jumpscare?
>>
>>383771793
Silent Hill 2 audio design was tits.

Get goosebumps just from wandering around an apartment.

>BANG BANG BANG
>SHIT SOMETHINGS AFTER ME
>Nope, it's just the music.
>>
>>383771950
Jump "scares" aren't scary, they are briefly shocking.
>>
>>383772697
OP said they scare him.
>>
>>383772991
OP needs a new spine.
>>
What was the name of that vid where the jap is doing a tour of his house that constantly loops and the house gets more decayed each time?
>>
>>383772991
They shock him.
>>
>>383773156
What the shit
I'm really really interested now
>>
File: SH PC Guide 3-2017 update_2.png (2MB, 1300x4835px) Image search: [Google]
SH PC Guide 3-2017 update_2.png
2MB, 1300x4835px
>>383771218
No son, playing shit while drunk or high is NEVER a good idea.

I assume you just don't wanna play an endless jumpscare fests like 99% of the modern games? In that case, you want Silent Hill 1-4. Here's the SH PC Guide to help you get them running on modern systems, and then the DL links:

SH1 NTSC DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH3 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

If someone's once again new to this PC gaming stuff: Use a program like DaemonTools Lite to mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" fix works as a no-cd crack as well, and is included in the pack.
in case you experience issues saving the game / not being able to edit the disp.ini, make sure the files aren't set to "Read Only", and run the game as Administrator.
If SH2 happens to fail to launch (black screen), close it and restart it. It should get fixed and run fine eventually.

>General Protips
-Play in release order.
-Never below Normal difficulties.
-Adjust down the in-game Brightness.
-Crank up volume.
-Don't try to kill everything. Turn off the torch & run / sneak.
-Replaying each of the games is highly recommended.
>>
>>383774273
that guy is... disturbingly prepared
But yeah, Silent Hill games are an absolute must play.
>>
>>383771218
Get into meditation.
>>
>>383774273
These, REmake, Fatal Frames and AoM:DC are some of the creepiest games you can get. They really get under your skin at best.
>>
>>383771849
Jumpscares for the sake of being jumpscares(as in, scaring you for no reason at the wrong times) are stupid, but being scared out of something scary coming out when you least expect it and/or when the tension is right is a core concept at the base of fear, dismissing scarejumps entirely is retarded.
When done well, jumpscares are ok and even a good component of horror games, especially if the game is not only made by them and is also accompanied by a horror fearing atmosphere.
Also, not everyone gets scared by the same things, and a horror game made entirely without jumpscares is flatout boring, there is no way to build tension(gameplay wise) if you already know nothing will scare you suddenly, no matter how good the story and atmosphere is.
>inb4 you might not know that there is no jumpscares until you play it til the end
in that case, you just end up deluded, as you build up tension on your own(since the game did not do it for you) expecting something the game won't deliver.

tl;dr:
>X is bad for horror games, Y is how it should be, and i dont care if people are scared by either X, Y, Z, or a combination of all because the way I get scared is the only one that counts
Fuck off
>>
>>383773156
link, somebody?
>>
>>383773156
uhh
P.T?
>>
>>383773156
>>383773964
>>383775576

this it?
https://www.youtube.co/watch?v=qWXnt2Z2D1E
>>
>>383771218
if its plastered with jump scares, youre playing a shitty game. play a good one and it becomes a non-issue
>>
>>383776021
oh, i know about him
thanks btw <3
>>
>>383771865
It's a very cool game. Immersive and tense gameplay, good level design, and it reeks of atmosphere. Where else you can explore a huge fucking insane asylum, rundown and dilapidating, overrun with murderous inmates and where, on top of all that, some crazy occult/scientific shit has been happening?
I replayed this game for so many times just because I'm an enormous sucker for Asylum themes in horror (games and movies both).
>>
>>383771218
For the record Resident Evil games have a theme going on where you're supposed to be scared at the start and grow stronger and overcome your fears later. Also try Alan Wake. I used to be afraid of the dark but after playing that game it stopped completely.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.