[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

To someone who has never played a Final Fantasy game before 14,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: unnamed.png (33KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
33KB, 300x300px
To someone who has never played a Final Fantasy game before 14, what are some good Final Fantasy games to try out? For reference I really like the magitek aspect of Final Fantasy, and I think dragoons are neat.

Also this is NOT a Final Fantasy 14 thread.
>>
>>383732669
If you like the Magitek and can deal with Sprites; 6 is the best. 4 is still my favorite in terms of story and characters (And has the most iconic dragoon) 5 has by far the best job system.
>>
V is my personal favorite but VII is the best place to start if you can handle the early 3D graphics.
>>
>>383732669

IX is my favorite.
>>
>>383732669
FF14 is such a major departure from the rest of the essential FF that it's hard to pin down what is considered "good". FFVI is the best (or in the states it was called FF III until the PS1 version because fuck localization). FFV has a great job system, like >>383732870 said. FFIV (FFII U.S.) has a great story, with memorable characters (though 6 is totally on par). FFVII is the one that PS fans are in LOVE with (and it's a pretty okay game, but it's absolutely rotten with aged graphics, silly plot, dramatic villain, and linear path (until the last chapter when you have access to Chocobreeding). FFVIII is grindy, dull, and almost completely without merit, FFIX is like a direct Sequel to the writing from FFIV, and the jobs from FFVI, and has a look that is very proto-Team Fortress. FFX is well liked by PS fans as a return to form for the series (FFVII form, that is. So linear, and on rails all the way til the end.), FFXII may be the closest to 14 feeling-wise, but with a party instead of 1 character to control. FF13 is almost completely unfamiliar to me, so I couldn't tell you a thing about it/them.
>>
>>383732669
7 and 10 are the best followed by Tactics. Then you have arguably good FFs 9, 12, 6. Then you have the hipster 8 which is arguably not good but is still pretty good. 13 sucks and the old games are probably eh.

There's also loads of spin-offs which are usually okay.
>>
>>383732669
Five is absolutely based if you like customizing characters. It's also the debut of a lot of fun jobs like Blue Mage.
>>
>>383735981
>and the old games are probably eh.
Kill yourself and fuck off back to plebbit, your garbage post and blatant reddit spacing give you away.
Seriously I hope you get shanked by a random nigger on the street.
>>
File: 1458733010751.jpg (52KB, 716x724px) Image search: [Google]
1458733010751.jpg
52KB, 716x724px
>>383735981
>old games are probably eh.
ur a meme
>>
>>383736264
>>383736364
I've always thought that, I played Dragon Warrior when I was a kid instead of that crap.
>>
File: 1468807333818.png (219KB, 664x520px) Image search: [Google]
1468807333818.png
219KB, 664x520px
>>383736590
>I've always been a retard with shit taste
Doesn't really help your case here buddy.
>>
>>383736590
>Dragon Warrior
>Warrior
Seriously kill yourself, you're so blatantly fucking new it hurts, get raped by niggers with aids.
>>
>>383736725
It used to be called that you fucking autist. Lmao holy shit calm down.

>>383736698
No, you had the shit taste. FF only got good when Square started pouring everything they had into the games.
>>
File: Pity (You).png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Pity (You).png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>383737056
This is your last, cherish it. In the meantime better count your days since you will not know the day or the hour, but you WILL get skinned alive and decapitated.
>>
>>383732669
Play FF4, FF5, and FF9 if you like dragoons
>>
>>383732669
XV is the newest, so I wouldn't start there.
XIII is better in comparison, which it's hard to play because it's repetitive.

IX is my favorite, I recommend PC so you can speed up the combat time.
XII has a remaster that came out if you would like to show Squeenix we will part with our money for nostalgia, or emulate it, regardless, it's good.
X because it's slightly better than XIII.
VII because it was this babbys first FF
>>
>>383734102
>FFVIII
>grindy, dull, and almost completely without merit

>Dat opening FMV
>GF boosting
>Dollett mission
>Edea fights
>Balaamb garden vs Galbadia
>Ultimecias castle and final boss phase
>Ragnarok
>Getting Eden and Ultima Weapon
>ZANTETSUKEN
>the entire OST

Okay anon.
>>
>>383732669
6 would be right up your alley if you like Magitek, I think 12 might also have some magitek aspects as well.

My personal favorite FF's though are FF1, 3, 5 and tactics series, along with bravely default and second, mostly because they all have classes and class changing which I absolutely adore

7 and 12 are also rather nice, and while I haven't played 9 at all, I've also heard many people praise it as well.

I think the only game to really avoid would be FF2, but that's mostly because it has an entirely odd and very different system of combat compared to the others, but it had its own charm to it so that combat spun off into the SaGa series, if I recall correct.
>>
>>383738281
8 is just SaGa wearing a Final Fantasy skin. The decision to make the entire combat system a resource management (in pseudo real time) minigame shoots any sort of replay value in the foot.

>FMV
>FMVs
>canned scenes, leading into more FMVs

just watch "The Spirits Within" again, anon.
>>
Play I, IV, VI, and VII. Skip the rest.
>>
>>383735981
>>383737056
>Thinks VII is anything more than "eh"
>Doesnt think V or VI is worth playing

Nigga, youre going full retard
>>
>>383732669
V, IX, X and XII probably have the better game-play mechanics IMO. A lot of the FF games just don't have anything interesting going for them unless you enjoy the plot/setting or just like turn based type combat. VII materia system looks good on the surface but it's pretty shallow and VIII is really tedious and obnoxious.

Personally if you enjoy 14 then I think XII will be your best and safest bet.
>>
6 or 7 if you want the sci-fi in a fantasy setting
12 if you want the mmo style combat
If you like the overall themes and tropes try them in release order after.
>>
>>383735981
This guys got it, but 13 is 'okay' and of the old ones, 1 is worth playing just to analze the old school gameplay. It doesn't hold up from a replay standpoint, but if you go in blind the sense of exploration and simple story is still excellent.
>>
>>383732870
>deal with sprites
What the ever-loving fuck has happened to /v/?
>>
>>383732669
IX, XII, VIII is pretty fucking great.
>>
>>383741652
/vr/ became a thing and it made normal /v/ go full autismo and think the past didn't have things worth looking at.
>>
>>383742209
No, /vr/ was formed and everyone over the age of 14 left.
except me and you
>>
File: Ingus-Dragoon.png (74KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
Ingus-Dragoon.png
74KB, 240x240px
3 was my first FF game and I enjoyed it, although it's been years since I've actually played it and the opinion seems to be that 3 isn't very good, so I dunno if you should actually play it. You can make an entire party of Dragoons in that after one of the bosses.

4 was also pretty cool. Kain is a pretty cool Dragoon.
>>
>>383732669

The Garlean Empire is mostly a copy of the Gestahlian Empire from FFVI. That's where all the Magitek stuff comes from. So consider starting there. Be sure to play/emulate the original SNES version(which was called Final Fantasy III in the west), not that shitty Steam port.

The parts related to the Garleans/Magitek that aren't from VI are from XII, such as the armor designs. XII just had a HD remaster released which looks pretty good, and plays somewhat like FFXIV, so that's another option of you want something more familiar.
>>
Four Heroes of Light worth checking out?
>>
>>383736364
Judging by today's standards, the older FFs games (we'll say pre-PS1 for the sake of this discussion) are really bad.

When evaluating a game's quality, the time the game was made must be considered. When evaluating how much enjoyment one is likely to get out of a game, the time the game made was irrelevant. With that said, I always suggest people start from the beginning so they appreciate what each new game adds/changes.
>>
>>383732870
are you me ?
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.