[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Oldfag here (28) I assume most here are university age. Just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

File: Super-Mario-Pixel-04.jpg (36KB, 694x1152px) Image search: [Google]
Super-Mario-Pixel-04.jpg
36KB, 694x1152px
Oldfag here (28) I assume most here are university age. Just curious did you go back and replay the retro classics like Mario, Zelda etc? When you seen the classic Mario pixels do you think "Fuck yeah I remember playing that game" or was your Mario Metal Gear Solid or something?

Feels bad getting old
>>
>>383717369
i've always had more fondness for DOOM and the like, if only because they're still fun and aren't too easy or short, and easy to mod to boot.
>>
>oldfag
>28
>>
>>383717369
yeah my Mario was Halo
>>
By oldfag do you mean you've been browsing the site a while? OR do you mean that 28 years is "old?"
>>
Sonic is my Mario, I guess. I do try to play the classics, when getting into a new franchise. For example, I went back and played FE1 and 2 after playing 6 and 8...and Awakening.
>>
>>383718216
28 is old to still be on 4chan (I assume)
>>
>>383717369
29 here been on the site since 2006 (thanks Godhand)
While I grew up on third and fourth gen consoles I eventually went back to consoles like Atari VCS and Sega master system to play some of the forgotten games of ye olde with mixed results.
My real problem is a grew up a console/arcade fag so I have a problem going back to PC games that I missed so I missed out on a lot.
>>
My version of that is Mario 64 Mario. Played the hell out of that game, and it is still great today. Didnt play the classic Marios until later.
>>
>>383717369
27 here anon. I went back to replay the original Super Mario Bros and several others which I never finished when younger.

I actually prefer older games. Punch Out and its ilk and Link's Awakening was a huge breath of fresh air. I don't know how people can find modern graphics appealing for so long. After so many years of keeping up to date with the latest games, playing some of the old stuff was really refreshing.

Link's Awakening is actually my favourite game now since I played it first earlier this year.
>>
>>383717369
>Oldfag here (28)

Christ.
>>
20 here. My first games were Mario World in SNES and Captain Comic for PC, so I don't mind pixel graphics at all.
>>
>>383718582
28 is too old to be on /v/, /a/, [s4s], /sci/, /b/, /qa/, /pol/, /bant/, or /lit/ at least.
>>
>>383718582
I just turned 40. There's plenty of older gamers here. But I can understand why you would think that because the board is full of immature kiddies.
>>
>>383718939
played links awakening dx as a kid. it is a fantastic game. i prefer it over shit like tp and ss easily.
>>
>>383717369
oldfag doesn't mean you're physically old you cringey autistic faggot
>>
>i just turned 35

war has changed
>>
>>383719045
>the board is full of immature kiddies.
Preach it brutha.
>>
>>383719069
Haven't played SS but with you on TP. I haven't been really engaged with most games stories, never mind Zeldas. But Link's Awakening genuinely made me melancholy at the end seeing the small cast of characters vanish. Was awful. Fact is, I went straight back after to replay it. No regrets, was just as much of a delight to play second time than first.

I think something else is, as dumb as it may sound, the simple graphics help my imagination.

When I see Dark Souls in action its visually stunning. The bosses look amazing and horrifying. Then after a few moments, I then think "Huh why doesn't the dragon just turn around and butt me off the cliff?" Or "Why doesn't the ten foot knight just boot me while I'm chopping his face up". The attacks become pretty sterile and things which I'd hope to see aren't there, its just robotic.

The simplicity of graphics of the old games let me imagine stuff. Like when Link is fighting the Armos Knight, I could imagine Link fighting a 15 foot juggernaut of a monster, despite the thing just bopping along, sword swings and such. Despite the boss just hopping at me.

I dunno but, less turned out to be more for me after coming back from modern games.
>>
I'm 20 and have most fond memories from my PS2
>>
>>383719721
>as dumb as it may sound, the simple graphics help my imagination.

why would you think that sounds dumb its supported by fact even casual observation proves it true
>>
>>383719806
Cause a lot of people in their early 20s and teens think graphics are the dogs bollix and look at a pixelated game as eh. I mean sure, Warcraft 1 looks pretty beh.

But the "clean" graphics of the old 2-d Zeldas are nice and imaginative. Most of the old games are. I still think there is a good market there for the mainstream outside of indie for it, it just needs more quality attention.
>>
>>383719989
you should go back and play ALTTP instead of links awakening
>>
>>383719721
yeah, i really prefer the more simple visuals, too. i think thats why breath of the wild is such a breath of fresh air from tp and ss, it didnt try to be all realistic and dark. it is fun, colorful, and still beautiful and advanced. nintendo will always have a special place in my heart as long as they keep pushing out fun and colorful games like botw, mario odyssey, splatoon, etc. we need more games like this that arent overly gritty and realistic.
>>
>>383720295
Funny you should say, I did. Decided to stick to my green tunic and run of the mill master sword for thematic purposes. I loved it.
>>
>calling yourself an oldfag when you aren't even a wizard yet
Jesus.
>>
>>383717369

I'm 22 and I love old games mostly the classics from the 8 bits and 16 bits era. N64 and psx is a little too ugly for me nowadays though.

Just recently I beat the Ninja Gaiden trilogy for the nes. I'm feel rather proud honestly. NG3 was hard as balls.
>>
>>383717369
im 23 and my first console was nes
>>
>>383720465
>>383720295
okay then you should go play E.V.O. or secret of mana.

I consider myself one of the people on /v/ with the best taste. I know this sounds absurd but I'm pretty sure it's true. At this point, it's hard to recommend video games for the master system, nes, etc, because they're so antiquated. I feel there's not much value in telling people to go back so far anymore, even with the graphics situation. 16-bit was a sweet spot.
>>
>>383720880
I will check them out for sure.

On the retro note, I only recently (as in January) played Super Mario RPG on the VC for the first time. It was by far the best game I've played in a long time and best Mario RPG by a fair margin.

I thought the blocky look would get hard on the eyes and the pacing would be shite. Nope.

Great story, characters and pacing was just spot on. Lots of cute cast members like Not-Wario being as dense as a plank.

>what is this water coming from her eyes?
>she is crying sir
>>
>>383720880
Everyone thinks they have the best taste, anon, but that doesn't mean it's true.
However, I'll admit I agree that E.V.O. is a genuinely great game, so you can't be all that bad.
>>
>>383721785
>Everyone thinks they have the best taste, anon, but that doesn't mean it's true.

other people don't have my mental faculties
>>
>>383717369
I'm 19, and I haven't really went back to play the old stuff yet. When I emulate games I just don't feel the urgency to play them unlike stuff I've bought. I'll get to them eventually, but I have plenty of more current era games I've missed that I'd like to play first.
>>
>>383717369
>Oldfag here (28)
That's not what oldfag means newfag
>I assume most here are university age.
lol
>>
File: JI-guy.jpg (84KB, 480x319px) Image search: [Google]
JI-guy.jpg
84KB, 480x319px
>>383717369
I basically only play old shit at this point. Emulating is so much easier and there is a fuck ton of games on a fuck ton of consoles I never played. The newest console i own is the fucking ps2. I always say "maybe I'll finally but a new console" but I just see the library and feel it's never worth it. I have to say the switch seems promising if it lives up to what is currently promised.
>>
>>383721854
In the land of /v/, the half-good taste man is king?
>>
>>383717369
I was more of a Sega kid.
>>
I feel that way when playing old Metroid games, whether it is Super, Zero Mission, or Fusion.
>>
>>383717369
I'm 21 but my first system was the SNES, so I remember Super Mario Allstars, SMW, DKC, and Yoshi's Island very fondly. The N64 was more of a defining console for me though, as I played the hell out of SM64, DK64, both Banjos, and Diddy Kong Racing. I grew up with a fairly limited selection of games, but I definitely appreciate 16 bit, and even 8 bit graphics. I basically went through the SNES, N64, XBox, GBA, and GameCube in my early years. Had a lot of fun, and I've recently acquired a PS1 and PS2 to play stuff I missed out on as a kid since I didn't have those. Since about 2011 I've been kind of a Sony person, and I've recently fallen back in love with Nintendo, which is ironic because I was the biggest Xbot on the planet from 01-10. I wish we could go back to 4th gen though, it was a simpler time, and I realize there was a lot of shovelware, but the average "good" game seemed like it had so much genuine love put into it. Even the shovelware seemed to have more charm. That being said, I don't mind new games at all, and a good new game is still a good game.
>>
>>383717369
I only play retro games. However I don't give a fuck to what people consider classics.
>>
No I don't play any games past n64 and I'm 21
>>
File: 1458510845331.jpg (104KB, 557x605px) Image search: [Google]
1458510845331.jpg
104KB, 557x605px
26, grew up with access to both a Sega and a Nintendo. Sonic 1 was the first game I ever played and learned to get good at while age 3 or something but the next few years had me getting more experience with Super Mario World and then Super Mario All Stars and then Sonic 2 and 3 after those. I probably had about the most "classic" kind of vidya upbringing you could possibly get. There were some other games inbetween them all too of course, but those Sonic and Mario games were the ones I played the absolute most of in my early years.
>>
File: 1460348427278.png (115KB, 415x292px) Image search: [Google]
1460348427278.png
115KB, 415x292px
>>383724497
>and then Sonic 2 and 3

>when you collect the Emeralds and get the super sonic message
>none of your friends know about it
>when you show them
>>
>>383717369
I'm 34. I grew up playing fucking Tetris on a calculator until I got a gameboy.
>>
I'm 25 and I play a healthy mix of old and new. This is because it doesn't matter what I play if it helps me avoid thinking about my life and how I have to grow up and change because my future looks bleak no matter how I look at it
>>
>>383724949
Sadly I never did get all the emeralds back at the time. I never cared for the special stages in any Sonic game.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.