[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Overwatch a good competitive game? Too casual? Are there

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

File: overmeme.jpg (99KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
overmeme.jpg
99KB, 600x315px
Is Overwatch a good competitive game? Too casual?

Are there any good competitive games out there?
>>
>Are there any good competitive games out there?
Yes, games you're good at. Bad competitive games are games you're bad at.
>>
>Is Overwatch a good competitive game
Name 3 mechanics that take longer than 5 minutes to master. The game has zero depth and the only way to improve is by synergising with team-mates.
Yes but they're all dead.
>>
>>383684474
Fighting Games.
>>
>>383684474
not enough heros

there are only like 12 heros and the rest aren't used and blizz thinks adding more heros in bulk is a dumb idea. Maybe if we had like 40 heros where only 25 where in use we could go ot the 3 heros a year style but right now the game is boring as fuck because you have to play the same character again and again.

Or they could fix defense hero

>mfw jeff thinks balance > fun
>>
>>383684474
Rocket League.
>>
>>383684550
No doubt a lot of people will suck at competitive games the first time around.

I'd like to find a game to invest and gitgud in.

Overwatch was my first choice as a game to really get competitive about but it seems shallow all in all, not a bad game but not a great competitive game.

Anyone know how much better the game is in a full stack or 5 man as opposed to randoms/duo.
>>
File: 1466819677346.jpg (145KB, 576x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1466819677346.jpg
145KB, 576x1024px
>>383684550
>heh i hope everyone (you)s my witty, laconic reply! fbpb lmao!!
>>
>>383684601
Yeah shit does feel shallow. Decently designed and well polished, as many blizz titles are, but lacking depth.

I'm seriously surprised how much they're pushing for a competitive scene. It's obviously as casual team shooter.
>>
>>383684670
Jeff should be fired of any design position, and should be just PR at this point.

Also OP, I think the game is dying for the competitive playerbase, but I have no facts to back up my claim.
>>
>>383684814
Play Duel on Quake Champions or Reflex. You're going to get your shit pushed in for a long time, and if you're willing to learn you'll improve.
>>
>>383684918
he doesn't design the game alone he is just the guy who also gets to be infront of the camera. Getting rid of jeff would literally change nothing.
>>
>>383684670
Spot on my nigga.

Support gets old so fast because of this, tank as well.

15:DPS (Roadhog is not a tank tank)
4:Tanks
5:Support (Zen and Symm are hybrids so 3 really...)

Shit is so repetitive.

As stupid as this may sound, somthing in the realm of DOTA2's numbers and mechanics but in a first person environment would be great imo.
>>
>>383684971
You sure?
It doesn't sound like it's the case when you read his latest statement about the balance situation of OW, but you may be right.
>>
File: meme.jpg (17KB, 320x265px) Image search: [Google]
meme.jpg
17KB, 320x265px
>>383684474
The games competitive is broken. Its not mast around personal skill its based on if your team wins or not which means if you're playing alone your rank may not reflect your skill.

Like personally i'm in high plat but i've played in 1v1s and 3v3s against diamonds and masters and utterly destroyed them.

If you want to play competitive seriously this is not a game for that. The higher tiers of competitive are filled with people who were just carried by people lucky enough to be friends with someone in a higher ranking.
>>
>>383684932
I LOVE quake champions. Used to play area as a kiddo.

However the active player base seems to be dwindling down and there are many complaints about it in it's current state.

I played it non-stop during the beta. I was last for the first few games but then I was obviously getting better picking up mechanics here and there.
>>
>>383685052
his latest statement literally says what I just said and he even says that people will think otherwise because he gets to go in front of the camera. Like he literally predicts your post and he talks about that first before even talking about his thoughts on the balance situation so people don't miss it.

lmao what the fuck bro
>>
>>383684971
Yeah, he's just the spokesperson for the game. He's said in an interview that they have a clash of ideas occasionally and he doesn't get the final say , people have to agree on concepts as whole.
>>
File: social-share.jpg (203KB, 1200x628px) Image search: [Google]
social-share.jpg
203KB, 1200x628px
>>383685025
Hello anon
>>
>>383685087
This is how I feel and what I keep telling people, but I then get told to stop blaming your team and that I'm the one to improve on.

Like fuck me, how can I even tell I'm doing well or above/below average? There's not even a scoreboard in the game.
>>
>>383684670
More heroes just makes the roster more redudent than it already is. What the game needs is an actually well-designed hero selection with distinct characters. Currently the game is just a boring FPS with superfluous skills tacked onto shootan mans with tons of overlap.
>>
>>383685207
I'm happy to try and game once. But I wanna get invested in a game with a strong and large community.

Isn't battleborn ded? :^(
>>
>>383685307
your first sentence gets btfo if they just do your second sentence which I don't think was ever in question in how they would do adding more heros.

lel
>>
>>383685087
>If you want to play competitive seriously this is not a game for that.
This

>The games competitive is broken. Its not mast around personal skill its based on if your team wins or not
nigga what?
>>
>>383685352
Beyond dead lel
>>
>>383685443
He was saying the games competitive is broken since its not based around personal skill like some other games are.
>>
>>383685352
>>
>>383685398
>well-designed hero roster
>Good characters thrown on top of a sloppy as fuck of pile of pre-existing characters

No it doesn't.
>>
File: 1498730104305.png (189KB, 500x593px) Image search: [Google]
1498730104305.png
189KB, 500x593px
So I've really found a few that tickle my fancy.

StarCraft 2 I play with mates constantly and just love it.

I'm torn between a MOBA to play. As much as the meme here is that they suck I'd Like to give one a real shot in a competitive sense.

I've been playing Heros of the Storm casually this past week. It's great that you can just get into the action without any significant grind.

Every hero feels useful at every part of the game. And some of the other things they've done(Talents for Items, teamshare exp) actually seem to work really well as opposed to completely making the game casual.

Problem being is that if I did ever wanna get serious in a game I feel that I should Invest my time into DOTA2 as it's a much more robust game. Free heros, constant events, beautiful graphics, huge community, deep mechanical and strategical skill required.

Shit just seems a bit boring and games last too long imo. So I'm torn.

/blogrant
>>
File: lelouch-and-his-geass.png (234KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
lelouch-and-his-geass.png
234KB, 640x448px
>>383684474
Overwatch has no depth

>>383684727
This.
Probably the best competetive game to come out in a decade.
It's so true, in the sense that shows who is truly skilled by introducing gameplay mechanics that you dont see often.
Someone who is good at fighting games will probably be atleast average at all the other similar fighting games.
Someone who is good at FPS games will probably be atleast average at all the other similar FPS games.
However, Rocket League sets every single one who starts the game at 0.
Everyone has to learn it by himself and figure out the insane depths all alone.
You could argue that racing games or divegrass games help but that really isnt the case.
Easy to pick up and hard to master, the perfect competetive game.

I've seen Quake 3 player throw hissyfits because they realized they only achieved their skill through muscle memory.
>>
>>383685923
Op fag here.

Yeah I totally agree. Usually I ruin my mates at any vidia we play, but fuck my ass, I can't do shit in this game.

It's seriously good.
>>
File: image.jpg (631KB, 684x1000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
631KB, 684x1000px
>>383684474
It's a good competitive game. It's pretty complex, and /v/ downplays that, which is likely due to tunnel vision. Having good aim and getting kills is like 33% of what makes someone a good team mate. Decision making (playing smart, knowing when to switch, knowing when your role is needed, "taking one for the team"), knowing how to push, mitigate damage, rely on other people's abilities, awareness, etc. It's a delicate balance that gets overshadowed by
>wow nerf Roadhog
>nerf Ana
>Sombra a shit
>gg Hanzo/Widow 4 throwing
>WOW WHERES MY TEEEEAM???
>>
>>383686018
Yeah I can see that part of the game, no doubt.

Always play the role that's needed, ensure my position allows for my to deal out DPS/heals with reasonable cover and constantly communicating and synchronizing ults.

However too many people in the game still don't do this shit, so it makes it all for naught and means that I lost because of no fault of my own but because of an asshat who doesn't care about the game. If I lose I game I want feedback on why I fucked up.

In a Moba I can see how well I'm doing with stats, In rocket league I can see how well I'm doing with personal score, Quake = Frags, StarCraft = LOTS of stats. Overwatch all I get are medals and arbitrary numbers.

My win rate on Overwatch is determined by the people who I play alongside more than what my personal skill level is.

I understand team games are simply like this, but Overwatch is considerably more so.
>>
I can't feel the chemistry behind the characters. It worked so well in TF2, but here it's just bland.
>>
File: 1446453285903.jpg (31KB, 552x440px) Image search: [Google]
1446453285903.jpg
31KB, 552x440px
>>383684474

>Is Overwatch a good competitive game? Too casual?

There is nothing competitive about Overwatch. It's a shooter designed for people who are terrible at shooters or don't actually like them

Games like Quake or UT
>high skill ceiling
>clear demarcation between players that are good or bad
>individual has to take responsibility

Overwatch
>skill ceiling capped at coordinated press Q simulator
>designed so that if you fuck up tremendously then you just blame everything on your team mates
>>
>>383686650
All of the characters feel like heartless reskins of other assets that were haphazardly forced together. Even in the videos I don't feel like any of them really mesh well together.
>>
paladins
>>
Game is dying, so no.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.