[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"If you were a developer of your own game, what would you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 601.png (54KB, 588x588px) Image search: [Google]
601.png
54KB, 588x588px
"If you were a developer of your own game, what would you do?" Thread

Post what sort of content you'd use as a gimmick/players to get fucked with.

Me? I'd deliberately make fake unused content for dataminers for them to put pieces together. Maybe make 10 different variations of the game to spread it out for people to put the pieces together.
>>
>>383680784
I'd put unobtainable items like chris did in conker just to fuck with people.
>>
>>383680879
I'd work on a game for 20+ years
>>
I'd make a __fun__ game
>>
File: 1497038616610.jpg (617KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1497038616610.jpg
617KB, 1280x960px
pointless cosmetics. Everywhere.
>>
Idk if I'm misinterpreting the thread, but for game ideas:

Star Fox Assault 2: Make it a 3rd person shooter with big maps and a focus on vehicles and on-foot segments that mix the two and FOR FUCK'S SAKE CO OP. WHY DO WE HAVE NO CO OP STAR FOX? IT'S PERFECT FOR IT. Throw online multiplayer on it, replicate the Halo 3 experience and weapon balance and you've got a winner

Star Wars Episode 1 Racer: Literally just port the game to modern hardware, give it a fresh coat of paint, add more voices and sound effects, expand draw distance, put online multiplayer and local 4p multiplayer, push that fucker to market and literally watch your bank balance jump to 7 figures
>>
Nice datamining thread.
>>
>>383681429
This desu, nice ideas.
>>
>>383681496
Thanks friend, I've got tonnes of ideas for the Star Fox game, because I think rail shooters are a dead genre now and if Nintendo wants Star Fox to still be alive, they need to get with the times and making an arcadey shooter with vehicles would be cool on a Nintendo system.
Although, it looks like Splatoon 2 is going to fill a lot of the market space my Star Fox Assault 2 idea would occupy. Not a real problem, but I doubt it'll ever happen.

I'm currently working part-time on a game with a friend of mine which is a 2d open world thing. If you ever see a Star Fox game like this, it'd be my dream title. Don't hold your breath though, it'll likely never happen. Maybe when I git gud at gamedev I'll just make it and release the source code, multiplayer server code and everything free and distribute it here so Nintendo can't stop it.

The Star Wars one will probably never happen because disney and it's old as dicks now, but fuck it'd be great.
>>
>>383681968
>2D open world game
Tell me more. You sound like you know what's up.
>>
>>383681495
oh yeah i am going to mine YOUR data now
bend over
>>
Secret ending that unlocks when players put fake dataminied stuff together.
>>
>>383682092
Ah it's not actually my idea for the game, it's my friend's. He's been working professionally as a game dev for a few years and recently quit to work on it full time, and I'm a software engineer, but I hate my job and want to do the same but can't afford it.

The game is basically a whole world simulation, so people have factions, feelings, jobs, whatever all dynamically so that essentially none of that stuff is scripted and the game essentially makes itself as you play it. If there's a quest to deliver something, the idea is that it's actually got a purpose for the NPCs in the game.

We're very very early days still and building all the systems like the economy, combat, stealth, etc to try and make each of those components meaningful and interesting, but I'm worried that we're heading into dangerous territory where there's a bunch of stuff that's just not that fun and there's a lot of unknowns of what we need to make the game actually fun.

Personally, I have a dream game that's essentially Golden Sun meets Zelda + 4p CoOp. Lots of dungeon crawling and puzzles, but a big focus on combat.
>>
>>383682831
Contd.

What I actually want to make as a small indie studio is a FPS with block people essentially.

I know the market is saturated, but my personal goal for the game would be to make it that you build a gametype. So you start off and it asks you to create a starting weapon and all the weapons on the map (if you want that) and you choose everything, damage, clip size, reload speed, hitscan or bullet travel time, muzzle flash, body location damage, the more stats, the better.

From that, you'd start up a server with your gametype and get people to join in, play it a bit and tweak it if it needs it and the game would record the most popular gametypes and post them on a centralised splash screen. Essentially it's just tools to give players to recreate previous gametypes.
Wanna play Goldeneye's You Only Live Twice gametype with Golden Guns? Go ahead.
Wanna play shotty snipers like in halo? I got ya buddy.
Miss playing Halo Reach? No problem at all, just fit the blocks together and you're good to go.

I'd also like to make a map editor so you could recreate maps and then open up more on the weapons so you could start adding status effects with weapons. For example, if you an 8v8, the gametype is fire and ice, you spawn in as either a flamethrower or a freeze ray. If you hit someone on the other team with a flamethrower, they light on fire, but don't die. For them to die and you to get the kill, the other team needs to hit them with a freeze ray. Get hit by both, you die. But if your team's freeze ray hits you, you lose your "on fire" status.

Or Rainbow deathmatch, where each player gets a coloured gun and you have to be hit by every colour before you die and then everyone gets tagged by your colour and it's just last man standing.

Make it free-to-play, make it available through Unity Web Player, allow a guest option and people can literally just navigate to your site and start playing. No install time, no config needed, just navigate and load in.
>>
>>383683318
Contd.

I'd just try and keep everything as cheap as possible and try to make some money out of it by adding cosmetics for a low cost.

I really like the idea that you give the community as much power as possible and let them run wild with it, but then create some way to get really good content that people are really enjoying and showing it to your playerbase to surprise them with what someone has managed to get the game to do.

It doesn't need to be the best or most innovative, it literally just needs to be easy to play and show off a bunch of fun gametypes and maps.

I really believe that a lot of games focus too much on making new and "innovative" stuff for a game and trying to change it for no reason apart from "it hasn't been done before" and I think there's a lot to be said about "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

My personal dream game is a new IP, as I've said it's essentially Golden Sun meets Zelda.

I want dungeons like in both games, the 3D of Zelda, but the epic magic and Djinni in Golden Sun.

A hook I'd really like to make though, is multi-approach dungeons. Essentially it'd just be Zelda style dungeons with varying puzzles, but if you wanted to say "Hey, I'm this magic wielding demigod, why do I need to find a small key for this wooden door?" You should be able to do that. You should be able to choose to brute-force your way through the puzzles, but this comes at a cost. If you brute-force your way through, the boss is ready and waiting and more difficult to kill, but if you solve the puzzles and go through the dungeon, the boss isn't prepared and you'll be able to sneak up on it.

I also always wanted it to have lots of interaction between your magic and the world. So the water magic person could freeze stuff or put out fires, the fire magic guy can light the grass on fire ala-botw, earth guy can dig holes and throw around clumps of dirt, grow plants,etc and wind can whip up storms and push things around with wind
>>
>>383683846
Playing through botw was an amazing experience for me, because it did so much of what I've wanted my dream game to do, almost to the point where it's nearly the game I've dreamed of making, but I think botw caters to too many audiences and I'd try to keep my game unapologetic about it's difficulty.
Puzzles wouldn't be immediately obvious and you'd need to use almost all the tools you have at your disposal and I'd keep it less open and more formulaic so that I can know roughly what people have at what stages and really push the envelope on the puzzle parts of the game and be able to balance the enemies so that they're difficult and you die occasionally, but not to the point where they feel unfair.

The game wouldn't be about making it different for every player, it would be about making it a great experience once-through and if people come back to it in a year or 2 years, that'd be perfect.

The idea would be to make something you could franchise off of and make a few future titles that wouldn't need to change the base engine all that much, just add new content, new world, new art and maybe a few extra gameplay features and you're good to go.

That's more or less my idea, I've got a bunch of notes on it and thinking of a control scheme that allows the player to quickly select spells from a reasonably large list as well as keeping relatively fluid swordplay available at all times keeps me up at night.

God I hope I get to make any of these games.
Thanks for reading anon
>>
>>383683846
This is really, really thought out. I'm impressed. See where life takes you, but be sure to save this thread for reference. This is too good an idea to lose, anon.
>>
>>383684239
Haha thanks man, I've got a bunch of notes written in evernote, I'll take a screengrab of this too and add it to my archive.

If I ever make it, I'll try and add in a /v/ easter egg and post here regularly.
>>
>>383680784
I'd just make extremely challenging games based on a simple concept with lots of depth.
>Devil Daggers
>Super Hexagon
etc
>>
>>383684341
Good idea. If you do eventually get something rolling, let's hope it catches on /v/. May we meet again.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.