[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just got one of these about a week ago, and I can honestly say

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 269
Thread images: 34

File: steam_controller.jpg (175KB, 1245x700px) Image search: [Google]
steam_controller.jpg
175KB, 1245x700px
Just got one of these about a week ago, and I can honestly say that it has completely ruined any other controller for me. It's simply THAT good that I refuse to use anything else.

Seriously, how is this thing so underappreciated? This is arguably the most revolutionary controller concept since the dualshock, yet relatively few people use it. Those touch pads make aiming way easier and more precise than regular thumbsticks and, while still not comparable to a mouse, you get to have the comfort of using a controller and still have decent aiming capabilities. Then, the level of customizability offered by this controller is insane. The touch pads even have different modules (d-pad, trackpad, thumbstick, etc.), along with configurable deadzones and so on.

IMO, this should be new standard for controllers.

What does /v/ think of it?
>>
>>383612152

Welcome to the master race.

Though I wish I could get the dpad to feel right
>>
>>383612152
it's an abomination with basically 3 analog sticks, no d-pad and too few buttons
they tried to hard to copy the x360 controller instead of making real progress
>>
>>383612152

What the left pad for? I mean you got your analog stick there so why not just make it a dpad alone or another analog stick with dpad
>>
>>383612152

How well does that work for M+KB only games? Can you play games like Deus Ex that used half the keyboard with it
>>
>>383612152
Then why do i have buyers remorse.
This controller is garbage.
Buttons literally broke down after 2 weeks of use.
>>
>>383613304
>What the left pad for?

It's a tactile panel it can substitute a mouse
>>
>>383613667

Isn't that what the right pad is for? I mean you don't need 2 fucking pads since you only need 1 mouse
>>
>>383613304
It can be configured to act as a d-pad, stick, trackpad, scroll wheel and more. It can even be used as an 8-way d-pad, and it can be both touch and pressed, so it gives a total of 16 buttons. On top of that, you can set it to change from, let's say trackpad to d-pad when you have another button pressed (example: you hold down a trigger and it goes from a stick used to move around, to a dpad used to select weapons).

Also, the trackpad is very comfy for playing fps games.
>>
File: 1428002238149-3.jpg (10KB, 379x451px) Image search: [Google]
1428002238149-3.jpg
10KB, 379x451px
>Expect it to be another retarded Steam Controller thread
>The OP actually had good tastes
>Mfw
Welcome to the club famballa. You're never going to want to play a console ever again.

Trackpads really could stand to be a new standard but whoever comes out of the gate next gen with them would be pretty much guaranteed to lose IMO. People REEEEEEE to hard at change no matter how objectively superior it is.
As far as less massively earthshaking overhauls gyro aiming absolutely needs to become a standard in all console games and so does having backpaddles.
>>
>>383613958
>>383612152
Don't listen to these idiots, don't buy this garbage.
>>
>>383613304
Left pad takes advantage of the versatility of the trackpads because the right one is always relegated to aiming.
It can be a normal dpad, or 4 buttons, but it can also be a radial menu with like up to 20 buttons (a godsend for RPGs) or a quick menu that can have up to 16, I've used both for menu side stuff and gameplay side stuff, in mouse games you can bind one trackpad to mouse and one trackpad to mouse in a specific region (IE the ability window in RTS/ASSFAGGOTS), it can also do surprisingly good joystick movement, but there's times when you want trackpad movement and times where you want stick movement, they both work better for different things and sometimes the trackpad is better taken advantage of as a shitload of buttons.

Biggest downside of the controller is the stick can't be traded out for a dpad or 4 buttons. One second your playing a game that couldn't work without the stick, the next your playing a game where it's a vestigial tumor on the controller. It's a bit of an unfortunate pickle IMO.
>>
>>383613495
Yes. I've been using it in all sort of games, lots of them being PC exclusives and not so controller-friendly (example: Witcher 1, Gothic series, System Shock) and it handles them really well. The only games I'd advise against playing with this controller are: strategy games, MOBAs, flight/space sims and fast-paced fps like Quake, Unreal Tournament, Painkiller and others.
>>
File: 1391636659403.jpg (133KB, 684x690px) Image search: [Google]
1391636659403.jpg
133KB, 684x690px
>>383614249
>Analog Anal Anguish
My favorite part about Steam Controller threads
>>
>>383613958
>>383612152
Has viral marketing gotten so good that its hard to spot now?
>>
>>383614524
I hate Valve and steam and pirate all of my games.
Its the best fucking controller I've ever used. Get fucked retard.
>>
It's fine, but I hate the d-pad on this thing. I just cant feel it properly
>>
File: 1410223677754.gif (460KB, 257x200px) Image search: [Google]
1410223677754.gif
460KB, 257x200px
>>383614351
>mfw performing in the top half of the team in the TF2 party /v/an with a Steam Controller
The whole "Can't play multiplayer shooters" thing really only rings true at high level play. It's more than competent at the level of the average /v/irgin plays at.
>>
Where's the right stick for camera?
>>
>>383613958
>so does having backpaddles
So much this. Why in the name of fuck hasn't this happened yet? I use a Razer Raiju for PS4 and Xbox Elite for Xbone and those extra back buttons really make a world of difference. Vanilla controllers just seem garbage now.
>>
How the fuck do I use steam gamepad with emulators so that they see it as proper gamepad?
>>
It's fantastic for many games

I tried to use it with an emulator for around five minutes before I nearly threw it out the window though. There's no way to play platformers well on it
>>
>>383614617
So tell me again why you're using a track pad controller to aim at things instead of a mouse?
>>
File: 1362249323544.jpg (109KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1362249323544.jpg
109KB, 800x600px
>>383614834
>Mfw I found out you have to take your thumb off the aiming stick to jump in DOOM 2016 on console
How is it honestly acceptable that you have to sacrifice control to access 2/3rds of the buttons on a controller in 2017?
>>
>>383614815
You use the trackpad
>>
>>383614983
How good is it on a scale from laptop to 10?
>>
>>383612152
I think the trackpads are pretty gimmicky to be honest and are only applicable in very rare occasions. Don't get me wrong, I think joysticks are shit, I just think that at least for first person shooters a joystick is better than a fucking trackpad. Aside from that, the gyro and the back buttons make it god-tier for racing games. Still prefer xbone/dualshit controllers though.
>>
>>383614946
Because a game like GTA or Sleeping dogs features shooting but feels like ass on a keyboard because of the driving/pretty much everything but the shooting.
I also have real aiming for ranged attacking in Dark Souls, a game I'd never play with a keyboard. And proper aiming in Nier Automata, another game I'd be retarded to play with a keyboard.
Also I can play games like FTL and Dragon Age leaned back and relaxed properly.

It has it's uses, then you start to prefer to all other forms of input and find yourself up at 3 oclock in the morning trying to figure out a Warcraft 3 configuration for the sport of it.
>>
>30posts
>12 IP's
the state of OP's life. go back to making best GTA threads loser
>>
>>383614946
Not him, but what kind of question is that? I want to play games from my couch on a PC connected to my TV. The Steam is definitely not as precise as a mouse, but it's miles better than a regular controller. So, comfort + practicality.
>>
>>383612152

Fuck yeah man! I had this controller and plan on buying another one.. It works so well for many different games and I feel that common controllers have failed to do what Steam has done with this controller. I did not get to use mine as much as I wished to.. but from the time I did use it, I felt that it was innovative af.. and worked well for a wide array of games.
>>
>>383615079
10. There's a few key differences.
>No heat from the laptop ruining the trackpad for continued use like a laptop trackpad has
>Sensitivity. Steam Controller skins put something over the trackpad and I was really confused how that would work, I tried using the trackpad with it under my shirt and my thumb over my shirt and it detected it no problem
>Haptic feedback gives you an amazing sense of where you are and what you are doing with the trackpad
>>
It's subpar for most games compared to my DS4, but it's perfect for desktop internet browsing.
>>
File: 1366896591262.jpg (84KB, 348x505px) Image search: [Google]
1366896591262.jpg
84KB, 348x505px
>>383615621
>Dude trackpads in the middle of the controller and gyro sans haptics is totally the same thing
>>
>>383614930
Dead Cells works decently enough with it. Still not as smooth as a Dualshock since the face buttons are so goddamn tiny and using the analogue stick for movement sucks.
>>
File: 1392443073993.jpg (5KB, 96x125px) Image search: [Google]
1392443073993.jpg
5KB, 96x125px
Lets get this out of the way now before the retards who parrot this descend upon us:

Anybody who wants to replace a trackpad with a dpad on the Steam Controller is a big fucking idiot who doesn't understand how to get good use out of the thing.
>>
>>383612152
it was alright, but i didn't feel like dicking with custom controller profiles for every game. i still use it occasionally for driving stuff with the gyro though.
>>
>>383614815
You can set the right pad to act as a thumb stick if you like.

>>383615079
It's akin to a high quality laptop trackpad I guess, but it has a much nicer feel to it because of its positioning and size and how easy it is to move your thumb on it.

Not the best player to show-off, but here's an example of camera movement in a relatively fast-paced fps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BEDKHEQ7ZY
>>
File: 1488264182629.jpg (29KB, 500x394px) Image search: [Google]
1488264182629.jpg
29KB, 500x394px
>>383616035
>Doom 2016
>Mfw
The fucking model Steam Controller game basically. It plays so damn well with IDs premade config.
>>
>>383614852
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH3Wz9qPyc0
>>
>>383615683
I don't have to browse through 500 custom controller configs to find the one that's the least awkward with the Dualshock. The SC Needs a custom controller interface for every non 2D game, else it defaults to X360 controls and those work poorly with the touchpads and poor face button placements.
>>
>>383614852
Running it through Steam worked for CEMU
>BOTW on PC
>Don't have to sacrifice Gyro controls
Marvelous
>>
>>383614946

You use the trackpad with mouse input and high acceleration in trackball mode.

You then use the gryo to fine tune it.

Works fantastic.
>>
>>383615085
>I just think that at least for first person shooters a joystick is better than a fucking trackpad
How? Seriously, I'm curious.. cause I've went from stick to track pad and it's been an immense improvement on my precision.
>>
>>383615904

I just want the ridges on the left trackpad to be more noticable.

I've got in in no-click mode with increased deadzone.

Hell I made the directions click different amount of haptics but its not right. I love it for just about everything else.
>>
>>383612152
Fuck off gaben, no one wants your shitty controller.
>>
File: 1485723359430.jpg (319KB, 858x802px) Image search: [Google]
1485723359430.jpg
319KB, 858x802px
Wasn't there a Revision 2 coming?
My friend advised me not to buy it yet because of that.

I got a gift card on my birthday for a local electronics store a week ago, should've probably bought it before I started Tomb Raider. If I'm gonna buy it now there's nothing to use it for.
>>
Has anyone tried this controller with RTS games? That's the only thing I'm interested in,. playing games like Planet Coaster on my couch with a controller.
>>
2 weeks with the controller and the trackpad still feels awkward for me I can't aim for shit with that thing and can't move the camera in a comfy way
>>
>>383616315
>Put what you want on the backpaddles
>Default to mouse, or mouse joystick if simultaneous mouse+keyboard and controller input isn't available.
>Adjust the rotation to your liking (once you get this down it's roughly the same for literally every game)
2.5 steps to play any game with controller support in no time flat (Because the middle one is almost always taken care of for you).
There's a premade controller config you can set to any game. So if it has controller support but doesn't have it preset on the page like some games do you can do it yourself in 5 seconds flat.

PC games require a bit more work because of course they do.. But even then it can be negligible (Got one Diablo style game working? You have them all working just save that config and export it to the cloud or whatever the fuck they have you do)

If you really want to base your config off of somebody else's for PC games there's usually 2-3 configs with people actually using them. Those are 9/10 the worthwhile ones though it's better to just take something like a quick menu they did all of the work of setting up and then changing everything easy to your liking.
>>
>>383613958
I have sweaty hands, like alot. Is that an issue with the trackpads? Is there a non-steam driver, or do I have to use Steam in all my legal but DRM-free games?
>>
>>383616495
Im not arguing that the trackpad is a good dpad (for movement, for literally every modern game that just uses the dpad as 4 buttons the trackpad is just as competent as a normal dpad)

I'm arguing that it would be retarded to take away the functionality of that trackpad just to accommodate playing 2D platformers.
>>
>>383612152
Pain in the ass to configure at first, pure bliss afterwards, playing Nier Automata on this is pure fucking joy.
Also a great remote.
>>
>>383616978
You have to run it through Steam unfortunately.

Can't comment definitively about the sweaty hands thing.
>>
>>383617050

>firing the pods with the gyro

fucking great.
>>
>>383616786
Have you played with the rotation setting of the camera pad at all anon? It's pretty crucial
>>
>>383617050
there wasn't already a preset for it?
>>
I feel like this controller makes my hands sweaty for some reason. I also have a PS4, and that controller doesn't give me any issues like that. Is it just me or is anyone experiencing this?
>>
>>383617368
Nier Automata is one of the trickier games to configure IMO. It requires mid gameplay configure shifting because the camera mode that works best for 3rd person literally doesn't in top down/sidescroller segments. So like one second I need one camera and then I hit hack as 9S and I need the other.

I ended up putting the button to switch between the two on the left bumper and moving my pod ability to the backpaddle
>>
File: Screenshot_20170605-172117.png (264KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170605-172117.png
264KB, 720x1280px
>>383615329
That's like 2 posts per person you dumb fuck
>>
>>383617521
I do. I think it's the matte material.
>>
>>383616634
RTS games are the ones I have the most trouble adjusting to. Tried it with Starcraft 2 and AoE 2. It's ok for casual play I guess, but way slower than m+kb.

Here are some vids if you wanna see it in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3Cs-ThG3Ck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf4nl1o7s0A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iGYfdLVlNQ
>>
>>383616786
Try using the gyro along with trackpad.
>>
>>383616323
>>383616232
Alright I'll try. Thanks
>>
>>383613005
>no d-pad
Why does it need a d-pad? The case is already completely handled by standard controllers. There is no game in existence that needs both precise d-pad and precise analog/mouse input. No handheld controller had precise analog input unless you made a trackball mod, that's the whole point of the steam controller.

>too few buttons
It has two more buttons than the standard controller arrangement every console manufacturer uses now. What the fuck.

>they tried to hard to copy the x360 controller instead of making real progress

You want a d-pad to forfeit the potential of two track pads, yet bitch about not enough "real progress". And of course it uses the 360 layout, PC games are fucking designed for the 360 controller. Did you want a controller just for games that don't exist?

Overall, you can call the steam controller bad. But you can't deny that its the best idiot filter ever. I instantly know who's a retard when they offer their opinion on it.
>>
>>383615085
No way, the trackpads are far and away better than analog sticks for 1st person aim, they're not even in the same league. They're somewhat limited without the trackpad + gyro combo, but even if you don't use the gyro trackpads are much, much better provided the game supports mouse input and you're using them in Mouse mode with appropriate settings (sensitivity, friction, etc.).

If we had trackpads instead of joysticks from the get go console autoaim wouldn't be a thing. They're actually good enough to legitimately aim with once you have a bit of practice, though not as good as a mouse of course.
>>
>>383612152
>Not as accurate as a mouse
>No physical feedback from analogue sticks

It's the worst of both worlds, I knew it would be DOA and I was right.
>>
>>383617841
>It has two more buttons than the standard controller arrangement every console manufacturer uses now. What the fuck.
And the triggers can be like 3 buttons total (limited use but still). And mode shifting. And you can set up a trackpad to be up to 20 buttons at one time.

I wont lie that I'd kill for an extra backpaddle set but you're right it objectively has more buttons than a normal controller
>>
>>383612152
DONT fall for the meme. I did and it was the worst gaming purchase in the last 5 years. It feels cheap as fuck. Imagine sticking two laptop trackpads on a madcatz controller and boom you have this. It's terrible. No really.
>>
>>383618076
>Steam Controller
>No physical feedback
Every single button. Including the analog stick. Has haptic feedback support.
>>
>>383616978
My hands get really sweaty after a few hours and I have no problem with it. You can use it in any game, even without adding it to Steam as of recently. Look around, there are videos on yt on how to configure it.
>>
>>383618136
>I get my opinions from youtubers: the post
>>
>>383613005
You honestly don't need the D-pad for anything that isn't fightan. The controller works pretty well for 2D platformers since all you need is Left/Right and a trackpad can just about handle that and I've played a few 2D platformers with it already with no difficulty.
I do think that the stick doesn't work well with the ergonomics of the controller though and is about as awkward to use for most 3D games as the D-Pad on the 360 controller is for most 2D games.
Steam controller is definitely my favorite controller in terms of being so fully featured though.
>>
>>383616890
The fact that you have to do any of this to get it working, and it's still not as good as a 360 controller for 90% of Steam games really says something. You can trick out a scooter with parts and lights all you want, it's still going to lose to a street bike in any race.
>>
>>383618263
I own one. I tried it out for a month and couldn't believe how shit it was.

>spend 2 hours trying to set up configurations
>jump into game
>get absolutely owned
>camera going everywhere
>super jittery
>drop controller
>smashes left side
>controller resets lose configurations
>>
>>383618553
Are you retarded by any chance?
>>
>>383618136
To each his own, I guess. I personally think this is the best 60 euros I've spent this year.
>>
>>383618560
no you will regret it unless you are dedication to practice with it non stop for 4 months. Even then you will want to go back to an xb controller.
>>
>same letters as xbox controller

but why
>>
File: 1356676066213.jpg (165KB, 542x530px) Image search: [Google]
1356676066213.jpg
165KB, 542x530px
>>383618657
>Didn't even look at the link
This is the intelligence level of the people who naysay the steam controller
>>
>>383618625
No. Just when I use a controller I usually just want it to work and not have go full autismo and practice with it for 6 months to get anywhere near comfortable.
>>
>>383618560
Yes!
>>
File: 1364786243776.png (103KB, 289x273px) Image search: [Google]
1364786243776.png
103KB, 289x273px
>>383618536
>The fact that you have to do any of this to get it working
>I bought a controller all about customization and I'm upset that I need to get it working
>and it's still not as good as a 360 controller for 90% of Steam games really says something
Give me a single piece of proof for your retarded claim.
>You can trick out a scooter with parts and lights all you want, it's still going to lose to a street bike in any race.
Literally worse than any food analogy I have ever seen. I'm sure you "Street bike" is a 150 dollar Xbone elite controller.
>>
>>383618738
oh so its spam.
>>
>>383618657
>edication to practice with it non stop for 4 months
What the fuck? Are you one of these idiots who cant learn how to use a goddamn controller? Looks like you'd struggle even with a NES pad
>>
>>383618667
Because people have become accustomed to them.
>>
the haptic feedback on the trackpad was so bad
>>
File: 1494548802151.gif (246KB, 212x199px) Image search: [Google]
1494548802151.gif
246KB, 212x199px
>>383618937
God you really see the unintelligent underbelly of this website in these threads
>>
>>383618890
This isnt a controller tho. Its a laptop trackpad tacked onto a 5 dollar piece of plastic.
>>
>>383618560
No.
>>
>>383615079
10, it's literally like using a track ball
>>
File: 1336963238919.jpg (322KB, 792x825px) Image search: [Google]
1336963238919.jpg
322KB, 792x825px
>>383619030
>"I get my opinions from youtubers"
>>
>>383619082
Except significantly better. You're gonna scare people away something like that.
>>
>>383618347
I would have still preferred the beta model layout (the left stick replaced with 4 buttons mirroring the ABXY buttons as UDLR)
>>
>>383619114
See thats your only argument, go back to your r/steamcontroller and circlejerk eachother because of your denial to admit its a piece of shit.
>>
>>383619253
but it works well and we like it
>>
>>383615085
>I just think that at least for first person shooters a joystick is better than a fucking trackpad.
you've never used the steam controller then, it's way better
>>
>>383619216
Think about how many times you wouldn't be able to use the trackpad for 16/20 button quick and radial menus if the pad was relegated to only movement.
>>
>>383619253
At least I have an argument of my own :^)
>>
>>383615198
>And proper aiming in Nier Automata, another game I'd be retarded to play with a keyboard.
Bullshit. Automata is one of about 5 million games that doesn't support simultaneous KBM and Controller messages, you get no real advantage using the SC to play it.
>>
File: 1438717777773.jpg (215KB, 565x678px) Image search: [Google]
1438717777773.jpg
215KB, 565x678px
It's alright. Don't really do much couch gaming with it though, if I am it's usually with a 360 controller and adapter. Anything that I can't play with that I just use the mouse and keyboard at the desk.

I've never really wanted to play anything I can't use a gamepad with on the couch anyway.
>>
>>383618560
Maybe
>>
>>383619487
But that's fucking false because
>Gyro
>Trackpad using mouse joystick (especially since Nier's stick sensitivity goes so fucking high) is still inherently more accurate than a stick
Keep trying retard.
>>
>>383612152
I bought it and tried it for dark souls 3.

It was awful and I haven't used it since.
>>
>>383619323
I only use my left pad for movement, with the click being configured to jump.

If I ever needed to use an SC-driven radial menu (not that I ever have) I would map it to the right pad and I would have one of the grips activate it.
>>
>>383612152
It's bretty gud, but I still find myself using good old X360 for shit like twin shooters and some third person games I can't for the life of me configure properly.
>>
>>383619586
Gyro+Mouse Joystick is better than a joystick but not much. It isn't enough to save aiming in Nier A, especially because sensitivity notwithstanding the camera is soupy and swishy with fuck-awful acceleration.
>>
>>383619627
Every RPG and several other PC games would control significantly worse with your proposed change.

It needs to be stick/dpad interchangeable.
>>
File: 1423262945575.png (226KB, 620x670px) Image search: [Google]
1423262945575.png
226KB, 620x670px
>>383619724
>but not much
You haven't tried it, clearly. If you think that a stick comes even close to the trackpads even in a game where the trackpad has unideal support. Especially with gyro added into the mix.
>>
>>383619742
...what? You can configure anything however, that's the beauty of the left pad.

The point is, the pad can function comfortably as an analogue stick, but it sucks as a d-pad. So having an extra analogue stick is stupid, because 99% of the time it's just being used as an awkward, shitty d-pad.

Better to give it an actual d-pad. The advantage to the button-based d-pad is just left-handed symmetry.
>>
>>383619987
If there's no stick then the left pad is relegated to movement in every single game where you have control over a character in a 3D space.
It's honestly a pretty retarded idea anon.
There's a reason it didn't make it into the final product.

The pads are significantly more than a glorified stick for pretty much every SC user that isn't you.
>>
File: 1362844820794.png (213KB, 445x465px) Image search: [Google]
1362844820794.png
213KB, 445x465px
>>383619987
>We need to incorporate a input method only used in 20 year old genre's in our controller that's about moving towards the future.
Dpads are shit. Don't ruin the Steam Controller to give it one.
>>
>>383619862
Of course I've tried it dipshit, I only use a Steam Controller and I own Automata. The Steam Controller offers virtually no advantages for aiming, at least not in any meaningful or practical sense, especially given how little the game actually relies on aiming (even in hard mode). And I say that as someone whose first experience with Automata was the PS4 demo, where I didn't have the option of using anything other than actual joysticks. At the end of the day, SC didn't improve my aim or response time.

Meanwhile, Mouse Joystick mode is completely unusable for aiming during the ubiquitous 2D segments, meaning you need to configure a second absolute-reference layout for when you're in twin-stick mode and swap manually between them all the damn time.

It's not a good game for SC use. It's passable but it's hardly an example you should use for where the SC shines.
>>
>>383620262
>The Steam Controller offers virtually no advantages for aiming
Post discarded
>>
>>383620262
>Meanwhile, Mouse Joystick mode is completely unusable for aiming during the ubiquitous 2D segments
Because you can set up multiple control schemes with the camera styles you need and change them on the fly with a button press you big fucking retard.
>>
>>383618560

Do people still fall for this shit?
>>
was thinking about getting this one. I want to play rpgs in bed.
>>
>>383617532

What I did was simple

Just have the right trackpad both activate the fire button and change from mouse joystick to joystick move when clicked.

so in 3rd person mode if I click an outer edge it turns the camera around while firing the gun, but if the game goes 2D or bullet hell, then wherever I click the pad, I end up shooting in that direction.
>>
>>383620443
That's something it will knock out of the park especially well. Radial and quick menus are a godsend for all them buttons.

You will probably be doing a considerable amount of configuring per game if we're talking CRPGs, something to keep in mind.
>>
>>383612152
Goddamnit Gabe, quit siphoning shekels from my wallet! You've already taken all my money!
>>
>>383620136
>There's a reason it didn't make it into the final product
Because scrubs and fuckups couldn't handle learning to use the pad for movement and bitched about having to. That's actual fact, by the way. The stick was slapped on at the end because Polygon-tier reviewers pissed themselves over how "awkward" it was to not have sticks.

Not because anyone, anywhere, ever, said "I like the 360 controller but I wish that the d-pad that was being used for inventory functions had like, 24 directions instead of just 4!"

>b-but what if I want to put menu functions on the left pad?
Then do it. You can set it up to use those functions when you hold left-grip or whatever. It's not like you're using your left thumb to navigate your radial menu WHILE using the analogue stick anyway, you only have one left thumb. In fact it's probably faster and more accurate to do that than to switch your thumb from stick to pad and back to stick.
>>
File: 1499706634168.jpg (218KB, 899x1342px) Image search: [Google]
1499706634168.jpg
218KB, 899x1342px
>>383618667
Because some games that has QTEs still uses Xbox letters for gamepad support. Using the Wii U pro controller for Metal Gear Rising's QTE was the most annoying shit
>>
>>383620703
>That's actual fact, by the way.
Lets see an actual source, by the way.

>b-but what if I want to put menu functions on the left pad?
Wrong. People bind GAMEPLAY BUTTTONS onto the trackpad. Not things I'd want behind a mode shift.
Just because you use the Steam controller in a way that barely anybody who owns it does doesn't mean Valve is going to ruin the controller to cater to your needs
>>
Version 2 when? I'm sure a revised version would fix many of the problems people have with it.
>>
>>383620405
Yeah, meaning you have to constantly switch between them and keep track of which one is active. Which is what I said. That's annoying.

Oh, and get a third one set up for the rail-shooter flight segments, too.

>>383620541
I tried this, but I hated having to keep the pad clicked in all the time in 2D mode, especially during the long shmup segments like the giant sea worm thing. I wound up doing an activator binding switch using RG that switched the controller to 2D mode
>>
File: how2scNier2.jpg (221KB, 1284x1450px) Image search: [Google]
how2scNier2.jpg
221KB, 1284x1450px
>>383620262

>second absolute-reference layout for when you're in twin-stick mode and swap manually between them all the damn time.

Or you can not be retarded and do what I did here
>>
>>383620856
Name a game where you have more than 4 gameplay buttons bound to the left trackpad.

I'm genuinely curious to know what you think is "standard"
>>
>>383621049
Then you don't have mouse joystick mode and so the controller is functionally identical to any standard XInput controller when it comes to 3D aiming.
>>
Alright, say I'd buy it and needed to configure these following functions for an FPS:

Forward
Back
Strafe left
Strafe right
Lean left
Lean right
Crouch
Prone
Sneak
Sprint
ADS
Fire
Reload
Throw grenade
Cycle grenades
Select weapon
Select firing mode
Drop weapon
Flashlight
Use button
Binoculars
Heal
Objective

How would you do it? Cause it seems like too many actions and not enough buttons (at least coming from a m+kb). Can I do all of the above fast enough with a Steam controller? Is doing something like running, jumping turning around and then landing a headshot, then going prone and reloading, too hard to do?
>>
The majority of the time I'm using a controller is for a d-pad though. If it had one instead of a left touch pad, it would be great for me. I know it's not meant for platformers and stuff, but I still feel like a d-pad to go through menus would be better than what the touchpad could do.
I want the right joystick replaced by a touchpad and I want gyro controls and those handle buttons, but not at the cost of losing the d-pad.
>>
>>383621117
Dragon Age Origins and pretty much every PC RPG I have ever played
Every PC shooter with a shitload of weapons on you like HL2 and classic DOOM
MMOs
LITERALLY any game that can't be covered with just the 4 face buttons and the backpaddles

You're retarded my guy.
>>
>>383621426
>If it had one instead of a left touch pad, it would be great for me
And nobody else.
>>
>>383616978
>Is that an issue with the trackpads?
No, from what I can tell.
>Is there a non-steam driver, or do I have to use Steam in all my legal but DRM-free games?
The controller works in some basic way by emulating some kb/mouse functions without Steam, but essentially yes you need to use Steam with it to do anything really useful with it. Non-Steam games and applications work fine though, you can even share profiles IIRC.
>>
>>383621213
Right gyro and trackpad don't fundamentally have more accuracy or anything you big fucking mook
>>
>>383621681
Yep. There's profiles for CEMU and other emulators through Steam
>>
>>383621628
How good is the left touchpad, though? Lacking the d-pad makes it useless for so many games just to have some fancy item switch with he left d-pad? I just don't feel like this thing needs two touchpads for any reason for games. The right one is glorious, I've used this controller before and I liked that part. It's in the perfect spot and not some meme shit like the Dualshock 4's touch pad. But I never saw a use for the left touch pad. I tried the controller using XCOM 2 and even as a completely mouse-based games with lots of selections, the left touchpad was still completely ignored.
>>
>>383621423
ez. You can set up all sorts of cool configurations - like special zones that you can hold which open further selections, press-actions and touch-actions, sub-selection-menus, etc

"mode shifting" is REALLY useful
>>
>>383617841
>>383618347
a dpad is required by a lot of games (due to precision and lack of real buttons) and could have been in place of the useless analog stick that is only used by people who don't like the trackpads (aka don't like the controller in the first place)

>It has two more buttons than the standard controller
not really desu
more buttons would have been good so multiple actions don't have to be bound to the same key on pc
>>
File: IvOlXQP.png-.png (150KB, 629x542px) Image search: [Google]
IvOlXQP.png-.png
150KB, 629x542px
convince me not to do this
>>
>>383621824
>with he left d-pad
with the left touchpad I meant
>>
>>383621213

If I want mouse joystick mode I just stop clicking the pad

I rebound the fire button in automata to the left trigger and have the gyro activate when I softpull it so I can look around. Full pull to fire.

>>383621423
You know all those little tricks console devs do to fit so many controls onto a tiny xinput pad? You can recreate them with it. Shit like, holding crounch for 1/4 of a second instead of tapping sends you into crouch, etc.

say you have the right trackpad to aim, instead of just having one button, the thumbstick click, available on that thumb, you could get different results based on where on the trackpad you click.

Its not gonna be 100% the same and muscle memory needs to be built, but there are inventive ways around alot of issues.
>>
>>383621824
>Lacking the d-pad makes it useless for so many games
Literally just 2D platformers. It works equally well as a normal dpad in every modern game that just uses it as 4 extra buttons.
>How good is the left touchpad, though?
Shitloads and shitloads of functionality would be lost. The controller would be effectively worthless to the people who use it.
>>
>>383622003
I'll take your word for the second point, but I know for a fact it's useless for fighting games too.
>>
>>383621856
If you're a cheap bastard it's guaranteed to go on sale for 35 again. But otherwise no it's a good move.
>>
File: 1446776471285.jpg (220KB, 1000x1184px) Image search: [Google]
1446776471285.jpg
220KB, 1000x1184px
I really like the steam controller, but I almost never use it because of the poor implementation. I really want one of the console makers to copy it so developers will be forced to make games that support the design properly. I can think of almost no games where I would want analog over the right track pad. I would even be satisfied if PS4 developers would simply start using the gyro. I simply can not enjoy an analog shooting game after I've gotten use to PC. Gyro is significantly better and subjectively more fun.
>>
>>383621856

it was literally just on sale you dolt

wait until christmas or something
>>
>>383621423
>Forward
>Back
>Strafe left
>Strafe right
Left pad configuration for movement, with
>Sneak
built in to the inner-ring binding so you can move more slowly by moving less far out on the pad (or use the analogue stick if you like)

>Lean Left
>Lean Right
I'd use whichever gyro axis I wasn't using for aim assist combined with the Aim/Iron Sights button for these. So I could twist the controller left while pressing aim to lean left.

>Crouch
>Prone
Click and double-click of the left bumper. Many games actually have a cycle-prone function built in for this anyway.

>Sprint
I like right bumper for this
>ADS
Left trigger
>Fire
Right trigger
>Reload
I like B button for this
>Throw grenade
I like Y button for this
>Use button
I like X button for this

Also, is there no jump button in this game? I'd bind it to left pad click.

>Cycle weapon
stick/pad right
>Cycle grenades
stick/pad up
>Cycle firing mode
stick/pad left
>Drop weapon
stick/pad down

>Flashlight
left grip
>Binoculars
right grip
>objective
back button

Also pause on start button

>heal
I guess A button. If you're using the stick instead of the left trackpad, I'd put heal on left-stick-click and jump on A.
>>
>trackpad controller
>still whines about mobile gaming with touch controls

Isn't the steam controller a glorified touch pad for gaming? I highly doubt its any better than shitty touch screens,
>>
>>383621423
Imagine having "shift" keys. so your abxy can also have a cdqr etc. That's just one way of doing it- there are lots of options. Usually the community made configs work great
>>
>>383621824
I love the left one because I can put weapon wheels, quick save menus and gamma control in Thief, Save state functions in emulators, all that shit.

It needs better ridges so you know where your thumb is for dpad use.

Hell, just a dpad attachment would be all I'd really add
>>
>>383622094
It has a ton of use in PC games like RPGs where you need a shitload of buttons.
I can turn the left trackpad into a radial menu with 20 buttons on it. That's just one thing of a shitload it can do.
>>
>>383622204
Do you use it for TW3? that's the only reason I play it on kb/m is because I hate radial menus. Is it easy to just bind the signs in certain directions?
>>
>>383622163
Smartphone have
>No feedback of any sort so your hands slide away from the buttons
That's always been the reason smartphone gaming is so shite.
Steam controller had feedback for the trackpads, on top of it being a real, tangible thing.
>>
File: 2022180574.jpg (28KB, 608x373px) Image search: [Google]
2022180574.jpg
28KB, 608x373px
whether you like it or not, valve did put a lot of thought into its design. They went through something like 30 revisions.

also holy fuck, what sort of magic did they use to have such a great battery life? It's a mystery
>>
>>383622302
Why you hate radial menus?

If it wasn't for them games wouldn't be finally moving past Halo's two weapon limit.

Hate it when a port is shit and I have to navigate it with a mouse though.
>>
>>383621525
>Every PC shooter with a shitload of weapons on you like HL2 and classic DOOM
I guess you and I are very different. I run hand-made weapon wheels on my right pad; hold grip and the right pad becomes the weapon wheel. That's actually how nu-Doom does it by default for XInput (hold the weapon swap button to turn your right stick into your weapon wheel), because you don't want to have to come to a standstill to change your weapons.

I can't imagine having to stop moving while switching weapons. Especially in Doom I/II.

That's the other thing about the left pad not being for movement; you can reach over with your right thumb and get the left stick (like an XInput D-pad), but getting the left pad is much trickier.
>>
>>383622161
>is there no jump button in this game?
Sorry, I forgot about that one.
>>
>>383622462
energy-efficient components and no integrated always-on led flashlight
>>
>>383622575
I hate having to bring up a full screen menu to switch something when I could have just pressed a keybaord button. I understand why they're there, and I'm grateful for them because DOOM didn't end up being a shitty two weapon game, but I still like to just press a button (or maybe part of a touch pad if the Steam controller is so great) and switch to the thing.
>>
>>383622094
Supposedly the left touchpad is usable as a "D-pad" if you make it so it's purely touch driven and add haptic feedback for each one of the 4 directions, then you swipe around and drag your thumb across. I don't play 2D platformers or fighters though, so I've never used it that way. All I basically do with it is menu navigation.
>>
>>383622302
I picked up and very promptly put down Witcher 3 so I have a very limited experience with it.

If there's an individual key for each sign on PC (im not sure) then yes you could turn the trackpad into a radial or quick menu of 5(?) buttons that activate the signs without pausing the game like the controller radial. Or if the buttons only activate that as your current witcher sign, then just bind the "use sign" button to wherever you see fit". If you want to get real fancy you might be able to bind switching to the right sign and activating the sign to each button on the radial so when you click it, it does both, but I can't promising anything there
>>
Will buying one make Dark Souls hard again?
>>
>>383618173
No. You don't even know what haptic means.
>>
>>383622161
>Y to throw grenade
How do you move, aim and press Y without clawing the controller?
>>
>>383622161
You should take advantage of the two stage trigger for aiming and firing to free up one more button.
>>
>>383622853
LITERALLY every single button on the SC has haptic. It's just hidden.

The fucking face buttons have haptic for shit sake. The sticks does too.
>>
>>383622606
So it's basically STALKER. Except I don't recall STALKER having a heal button (but it's been a while).

If so, and it has access to like 9 weapon keys, you could also configure right grip and left grip to be mode shifts, so RG makes the right pad your weapon selector, LG makes it your grenade selector, and then use stick up and stick right to be your flashlight and binoculars. If you swap weapons a lot that'd probably be more efficient.
>>
File: 1358134284258.gif (3MB, 459x459px) Image search: [Google]
1358134284258.gif
3MB, 459x459px
>>383622897
Not him but holy shit that's genius.
>>
>>383622795
One huge concern for me is that many games switch between keyboard and controller mode. So what I know will happen in a lot of games is that the UI will keep flickering, saying "X - JUMP" every time I press the joystick or button, but if I bind the touchpad to a keyboard key it will say "SPACE - JUMP" or something. Also, some games outright cut all inputs when you switch between keyobard and controllers, until you release and press again.
This would completely fuck the Steam controller's ability to have both true analog and other x-input support while being able to bind keys and mouse movements to shit.
Any way around this?
>>
>>383622795
as I mentioned above, I found it worked great for nidhogg, which isn't exactly a floaty game.

>>383622892
well, you could always put grenade-throw as a combination of two of the back buttons, or a full depress of a trigger, or a push-in of the joystick, or if you want to look retarded you could set it so shaking the controller throws one... lots of options
>>
>>383622892
Are you aiming while throwing grenades a lot? If so, then you could always put grenades on left bumper and move crouch/prone to Y.
>>
>>383622897
I don't like to do that because a lot of games slow your aim or move speed down when holding the sights button and if you tie sights and shooting to the same button you can't move and fire at full speed freely.

Grabbing the last two shooters I played for reference, it would be totally shit in both Warframe and D44M.
>>
>>383621856
wait for a sale or a game+controller deal, faggot
>>
>>383623067
Unfortunately for games that don't support both you need to pick one or the other. Which is a bit shit certainly but you have to remember that until the controller was created there was no reason to allow that in games. Support in recent years has gotten better but you'll always have issues like Japanese games lagging behind the trends on PC.
>>
>>383622783
Well then what you could do is make an invisible weapon wheel that only activates when you click the right pad.

So when your thumb is on the trackpad, its just a mouse, but when you click it and you know where to click it, you'll switch weapons.

I'm gonna upload a video of how my thief setup works.
>>
>>383623081
>you could set it so shaking the controller throws one
Not really.

I mean, you could, I guess, but if you look at my layout I'm using gyro for aim and gyro tilt commands for the Lean functions so there's not really any further bindable elements.
>>
I love the steam controller I just hate that I can't have my binds/profiles active unless I have that overlay on that fucks with my framerate
>>
>>383622962
The game I had in mind was Far Cry 1, where you can do all that I mentioned except healing (you have a heal button in the other Far Crys though). I'd like to play STALKER with it some time too. And yeah, that cycling through weapons and stuff with the stick doesn't seem too efficient when you're mid-fight... I'll probably have to go with mode shifting.
>>
>>383622943
Learn what that word means, idiot.
>>
>>383623243
That does make sense. I guess I haven't tried it on enough games to realize the potential problems.
>>
>>383623335
That shouldn't be necessary for TW3 since I can just bind a direction to a keyboard key and just memorize where it was. My only concern is all this >>383623067
I can't remember what TW3 does if you switch between controller and mouse, but I know the UI changes. However, I also know the game so well that I could just hide all of the button UI really.
>>
>>383612152
>it's another steam trying to recoup their losses by shilling their crap thread
>>
>>383623378

THIS. FUCK BIG PICTURE.

I hope to fucking god that whatever steam update valve is cooking up involves unshitting big picture.

The only thing legitimately dogshit about having a steam controller is having to deal with buggy pic picture bullshit.
>>
>>383623378
What would be awesome is something with most of the steam controller functionality that's designed to just replace the keyboard while you use the mouse. It would get back back into a lot of games and I like using an analog for movement
>>
File: 1476527630866.jpg (31KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1476527630866.jpg
31KB, 400x300px
>2017
>still can't have multiple shift-panels on the same panel using different shift-keys
fucking gaben I swear to god
>>
>>383623345
didn't they fix it so you can use more than 2 axis at once? Because iirc you couldn't have both "steering" and "pointing" going at the same time. but it was just software preventing that
>>
>>383623124
I throw grenades through windows and semi-opened doors quite often, so aiming is important for me.
>>
>>383623519
Like a Wii nunchuck with more functionality
>>
>>383623516
I don't have a Steam controller, but you don't have to use Big Picture for it. I can use all my Logitech controller rebind features through Steam, and it works as long as Steam is loaded. Desktop or Big Picture mode.
Unless you're saying you want a controller UI that isn't shit, in which case I do agree there. I wish it was just a simple scroll menu for stuff, I really hate the bloated tile shit and it's a nightmare to grab my wireless keyboard/mouse and want to minimize a game with Big Picture running.
>>
>>383623501

I've played my gog copy, you have to set a setting that forces the game to only show one type of controls.
>>
>>383623516
>>383623378
I could have sworn the SC worked without big picture running now. Maybe its just for games that don't have any overlays like the control scheme shifting or radial menus. But I've definitely played games with the Steam Controller without big picture open.
>>
>>383623067
>Also, some games outright cut all inputs when you switch between keyobard and controllers, until you release and press again.
This is the worst thing ever. Mouse-like Joystick works for it, or if the game really needs mouselook more than analogue movement (like Vanquish) you can just bind everything, including the movement inputs, to keyboard commands.

But that really does fuck up on-screen prompts and QTEs (especially in Vanquish. Oh fuck does it ever.)

>So what I know will happen in a lot of games is that the UI will keep flickering, saying "X - JUMP" every time I press the joystick or button
You know what's totally embarrasing? In BOTH Portal games the Steam Controller actually does this in a really glaring way: the portal colors flip. Since LMB/RMB become RT/LT (swapped) on your standard porting from mouse to controller, the aiming reticle in Portal has the colors switched. And if you use the SC, it's something of a crap-shoot which color portal will come out as a result.

Granted, it got fixed when Valve added native SC support to Portal, but it was still funny that the issue of "tooltip flickering" didn't even occur to them when it literally broke gameplay in their most recently developed title which they used to demo the hardware.
>>
>>383623504
If this is a shill thread then it's kinda sad that shills are having a deeper discussion than most threads on /v/
>>
>>383622840
It will make it easier.
>>
>>383623757
Well to be fair it's kind of like being stronger than a baby. Like, congratulations, you did it, but you didnt do much
>>
>>383623702
I have a steam controller, BPM is a great idea but their stable branch is not stable enough.

Hell. All those crashes people were having with Nier Automata? same bug's been plaguing SBPM for fucking ever.

And AMD fixed their driver first, of all the fucking bizzaro shit that's happened in the past two years, that takes the cake.
>>
>>383623741
Let's just hope more games have more seamless keyboard to controller switching. I used to compliment the UI switching automatically as a great feature, but now I can see how it could suck. Perhaps games should have an option in the menu to manually set it, with an optional "auto" setting.
>>
>the back panel acts as a button and as the cover for the batteries

glorious design. I bet the dude who drew that out is pretty proud of it

>>383623912
I just wish that the navigation was more intuitive. It needs a UI overhaul along with performance.
>>
>>383622163
It fixes several issues with touchscreen controls, or rather the issues are completely absent due to the design itself:
>your fingers aren't covering part of the screen
>it has haptic feedback
>not only that, but the touchpads are tangible things, so you can actually feel their edges

>>383623067
Yeah that's an issue. Flickering does happen, though it never really bothered me. I don't care about the control popups after I know how to play.

Games which don't support simultaneous inputs exist as well, in that case you do indeed have to choose one or the other. You would generally either use Mouse Joystick (which is inferior) instead of Mouse for camera control or you bind the controller as mouse/kb. Do note that the controller can emulate analog input by using keyboard bindings and pulsing them automatically, based on your real analog input. So depending on the game you might not actually lose analog-like control in practice. It's basically like tapping a keyboard button in order to move slowly, except it's done automatically for you while you just use the stick.
>>
>>383623635
It was because the software only knows how to map an "analogue" input as a two-axis output for common-sense reasons. No game on PC "supports" gyro, so you either have to send mouse messages or analogue stick messages as your only sources of analogue output... and both of those are two-axis outputs being fed a 3-axis input.

But it does have (and it always has had) the "lean bindings", which are button-press messages sent when the controller is tilted far enough along the unused axis (actually, it may only ever be along the roll axis; I'm not sure, I just always used yaw as my mouse input axis rather than roll).
>>
File: Deliberating.gif (2MB, 316x213px) Image search: [Google]
Deliberating.gif
2MB, 316x213px
>I was supposed to go out and look at who's hiring in my town today
>We never have good Steam Controller threads like
>Mfw
>>
>>383624021
For shits and giggles, I might try out the analog emulation thing with my Logitech controller. Steam gives you those options for any controller now and I can't imagine the joystick between the Steam controller and this Logitech one being much different.
>>
>>383624173
>>We never have good Steam Controller threads like this*
>>
>>383624173
Your parents are ashamed of you, and your father can't stand to look you in the eye.
>>
>>383623951
The correct way to do it, honestly, is a menu setting for "on-screen tips" which lets you set KB/M, XInput, DualShock, and maybe even Nintendo controller prompts.

I know a lot of people with DS4s who bitch about "Press B" prompts, for instance. And even native Steam Controller support won't fix what amounts to the exact same issue for people with Logitech G13s or whatever those VR controller/mouse hybrid devices are now.
>>
>>383624078
huh, that makes sense
>>
>>383612152
>mouse and keyboard outclasses it for shooters and strategy game (yes, you can use m&k on a couch)
>has no dpad or analog stick to speak of
What the fuck is the point of it?
>>
>>383624208
Analog emulation is fucking hilarious but also completely unusable in any game where you can see your character.
>>
>>383623741
>>383623067

What I do is have one action set for xinput stuff and when I need precision, when I hold down the left trigger it switches to a keyboard mode.
>>
>>383623984
>the back panel acts as a button and as the cover for the batteries
It's two buttons.

And the design of the controller is great from a functionality perspective but whoever actually drew up the hardware spec should off himself

>the back panel that covers the circuitboard is literally just a sticker
>the edges get caught under the slider-based battery ejectors because the batteries are inside the controller handles and need a spring-loaded contraption to be ejected

I love the SC's design but the build quality itself is shit.
>>
>>383624208
They probably aren't very different, I'd expect that to work the same if there aren't any bugs/glitches. I never used the feature myself, I kind of always went with the Mouse Joystick approach to solving the problem. I mean the games which tend to do this are usually console-ish games designed with a stick in mind, so even if you give up the superior Mouse setting for camera they still tend to work well if they allow you to set the sensitivity appropriately.

For some reason Mouse Joystick won't let you configure sensitivity and tells you to do it in-game, which is actually annoying if you want to have 2 different (pad + gyro) Mouse Joystick outputs but with different sensitivities.
>>
>>383624269
This was a me and my therapist thing. I'm not disappointing my parents anymore than I do on a daily basis because I didn't tell them my plans today.
>>
i like the thing. i own two. i use them and 2 wii u pro pads with my big tv and steam link in the living room. but the face buttons are not great and playing any kind of button masher like senran kagura just isnt comfortable with those shitty face buttons. they're round and small, they need to be big and flat
>>
>>383624328
>>has no dpad or analog stick to speak of

wow
>>
>>383624421
I need the precision all the time in a game like Vanquish. There is no "it's time to actually aim now" moment in gameplay, it's ALWAYS time to actually aim now.
>>
>>383617649
This does seem nice. I could definitely see myself playing with this.
>>
>>383624465
>>the back panel that covers the circuitboard is literally just a sticker
>>the edges get caught under the slider-based battery ejectors because the batteries are inside the controller handles and need a spring-loaded contraption to be ejected
>I love the SC's design but the build quality itself is shit.

have had 0 issues with this. Steam controller is made in america. You are making up things to be upset about, the two things you stated are not issues in any way
>>
>>383624293
That would be nice. though I'm pretty used to it anyway. One single day I was playing DMC HD with a PS3 controller, Mad Max with an Xbox-like controller, and Smash Bros. with a Wii U controller and didn't fuck me up at all.
>>
>>383624465
The design is all public, right? Like valve wants people to make compatible parts an shells and stuff
>>
How good is gyro aiming? I saw that demo for it for MGS5 and it looked pretty good. Would you prefer that over the touchpad? I've only ever used gyro aiming in a Splatoon testfire and briefly for BOTW on Wii U.
I'm not talking about online shooters, I'll still sit at my desk for those. But for slower paced games with shooting, gyro controls on the couch might not be too bad. I can't use sticks to aim any more, I don't know how I put up with that for years as a consolefag and I only just barely accept it in for bow aiming in Zelda because the Wii U gameplad has one minute of battery life and the touchscreen has no features.
I'm glad stick aiming is dying and I hope Metroid Prime 4 makes full use of the gyro controls. Sorry I flew off topic a bit here.
>>
File: 1415424461962.png (102KB, 280x246px) Image search: [Google]
1415424461962.png
102KB, 280x246px
>>383624587
This touches down on the biggest fault of the Steam Controller IMO. Personally I love the buttons, have beaten Bayonetta and other action games slamming them tiny shits, and i would be sad to see them go to something more dualshockey
HOWEVER, the controller is all about catering to you preferences on the software side. But when you get to the hardware side everything is rigid and a lot of Steam owners just wish that it had buttons more to their preference.

Interchangeable parts are the future of the controller. It's gotta be, no real other way to solve some of the issues the controller faces like "do we keep the stick or add a dpad/4 face buttons?" and the normies will never come if they can't fall back on the twinstick that they recognize, if they wanted to they could with interchangeable parts.
>>
>>383612152
The buttons are in the wrong place.
>>
File: SteamControllerBacking.png (832KB, 816x612px) Image search: [Google]
SteamControllerBacking.png
832KB, 816x612px
>>383624676
>Steam controller is made in america.
Well if that isn't the ringing endorsement of the century, I don't know what is. I guess I can leave it in the pile with my American-made car and American-made washing machine back in 1967 when that was a point of pride and not a source of concern.

>You are making up things to be upset about, the two things you stated are not issues in any way
I get that it's not gonna happen to 100% of controllers 100% of the time but it is absolutely an issue. Here's a photo of mine.

I use the flat pick on a pair of nail clippers to hold the sticker down when I insert a battery on that side until the ejector clip comes down far enough over it to not peel it up.
>>
>>383612152
>revolutionary controller concept since the dualshock

>Sony1: "Okay we're using the SNES controller with double the bumper buttons, what else is Nintendo doing?"
>Sony2: "They've got an analog stick now."
>Sony1: "Great! Double that too!"
>Sony2: "And some rumble pack thing?"
>Sony1: "Double everything!"

revolutionary
>>
>>383625057
>How good is gyro aiming?
If you have experience with Nintendo's or Sony's gyro is pretty well blows that away.
>Highly customizable, sensitivity and everything you can imagine can be changed to your liking
>You can use haptic feedback to essentially "click" the controller and it gives you a much better sense of what you're doing and how hard you're doing it. This one's really hard to describe but it enhances the gyro a lot more than you might think.
>You can choose you you want it to activate so it doesn't need to be always on (removing the nightmare of re-centering yourself after you flick hard to the side to get a twitch reaction on something or just adjusting yourself without your characters reticle flying everywhere.) the most common 3 solutions I find are binding gyro activation to the aim down sight button, binding it to touching the aiming track pad (not clicking it down), and if you have a backpaddle button not in use binding it's activation there.
>Would you prefer that over the touchpad?
They both work in tandem. Trackpad is better for sweeping large movements and the gyro handles fine aiming better.

Yeah dude the WiiU ruined me. I don't want to buy a console that's going to make me aim like a gyro-less barbarian.
>>
File: 0711171720.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
0711171720.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>383625057

Gryo aiming is god tier.

Excuse the shitty footage.

First menu is something that only comes up on the left touch pad when I hold down the start button for 1/4 second, weapon wheel otherwise.

Gyro enables when I pull on analog part of right trigger, as firing arrows is the only time itsneeded.

I don't like gyro leaning, but if I hold down the left trigger, I can lean around and up and down, kind like how some console shooters do their leaning systems, like Wolfenstein New Order and alien isolation.
>>
>>383625721
It's not so much that the Wii U killed me, it's that I became a PCfag and couldn't stand stick aiming anymore and I was surprised how much I liked it in Splatoon and Zelda. It's especially surprising because I found the aiming to be rather clunky in Skyward Sword and PS3's SIXAXIS was awful, maybe the tech is that much better now. I can't believe I'm actually asking for motion controls.
>>
>>383625560
I suppose the SNES copied the Sega Genesis too, since it had buttons and all...
>>
>>383625825
Shit, you can make a custom UI for it too? So I could just ignore TW3's game-interrupting sigh switching menu and put the signs on my own thing down there? Would be neat.
>>
>>383626041
The techs much better now basically. Sixaxis and wiimotes didnt sent input as constantly or something
>>
Agreed.
>>
>>383626263

Only issue is that it needs the big picture overlay, and it can be finicky.
>>
File: lyin tometa.png (15KB, 340x421px) Image search: [Google]
lyin tometa.png
15KB, 340x421px
>>383612152
Let's be honest, OP.
Had it for a week.
Just a retarded touchpad in a form of a joypad.

Pros:
>Too many buttens
For real, I don't know why everybody is so afraid of adding a couple more buttons on a joypad. Pretty comfy.
>Nice tf2 jingle
>...

Cons:
>Not a joypad
Every device recognizes it as a touchpad.
Works only in pair with steam launched and a keyboard mapper
>Works only in pair with steam launched
Srsly
>Haptic feedback is just touchpad knocking you fingertips
It doesn't vibrate, it just knocks from time to time. I don't get it.
Same shit they used in vive controllers touchpad. I didn't get it either.

So yeeeeah... not a big fan of it.
>>
>>383627814
>Not a joypad
>Every device recognizes it as a touchpad.
>Works only in pair with steam launched and a keyboard mapper
What the fuck are you on about?
>>
>>383627814
>Works only in pair with steam launched and a keyboard mapper
What? You need Steam, yes, you don't need any other "keyboard mapper" beyond that. You can configure it to show up as either kb/mouse, a controller or both at the same time.
>>
File: NuDoomSteamController.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
NuDoomSteamController.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>383625825
>Gyro aiming is god tier
Combining gyro aim with trackball mouse aim is absolutely where it's at.

Gyro is not very good for fast turns but it's excellent for gentle nudges. Together your thumb and wrist can almost approximate what you do with a mouse.

It takes practice, but it winds up being really responsive.
>>
>>383628052
>It takes practice, but it winds up being really responsive.
Yeah, this. Best part is that you get the basics really quick, it takes almost no time at all to get to the point where you're way better than using an analog stick, skill beyond that is just getting closer to a mouse.
>>
File: 0711171804.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
0711171804.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>383628052

I love the fact that I can play OG doom and binding heavy PC games on a damn controller.

Just showing how Nier works for me.
>>
Revision 2 when?
>>
File: inkling-boy-blue.png (17KB, 251x251px) Image search: [Google]
inkling-boy-blue.png
17KB, 251x251px
>>383619862
>Especially with gyro
Fite me fgt!
>>
>>383628190
>moving with the stick
yuck. I don't get how you do it.

Being unable to jump with the same thumb I move with drives me nuts. One finger movement, that's where it's at. Closest a controller can get to WASD+Space.

My little D44M clip is like 90% aiming while jumping.
>>
>>383612152
You try motion controls for fps? It's fucking amazing how easy it is for accurate headshots. Feels almost like cheating tbqh
>>
>>383613731
the only difference between them is the left one has big a dumb + shape on it
>>
>>383628312
Stick and gyro is the only way to make stick tolerable. And its because it removes stick aiming from the equation as much as possiblr
>>
>>383628468

I'm too beholden to your standard gamepad layouts. I usually put jump on a paddle.
>>
It's not the absolute definitive only controller you'll ever use (needs dpad), but gyro + touchpad aim is extremely fast and accurate compared to twin sticks and i play every controller focused game that has shooting/aiming with it and have a great time.
>>
>>383628645
Unless I need more-than-XInput commands my go-to is to make the grips be LS click and RS click.

It makes doing ults a lot more reliable in games like TFD where you have to click both sticks at once to do it, though.
>>
>>383628601
That big dumb plus shape is invaluable for trackpad movement.

Sucks as a dpad guide though
>>
>>383628528
how heavy do you have the accel set?
>>
>>383629489
Hopefully for the second revision they change trackpads to have circle outline grooves like the earlier incarnations with little d-pad like "notches" on the eight corners of the trackpads representing the eight directions.
>>
>>383630142
2nd revison will probably have modular control units. I want a paddle to twist! Warlords & breakout isn't the same without it
>>
>>383630142
The circle outlines were abandoned because
1. They were on both but only helped with trsckpad movement
2. The "edge" of the stick in trackpad movement changes on a game by game basis and is pretty muxh assired to not be where the circles are, same thing with the deadzone circle. So everything the circles would do i covered by the haptic but better
3. Without the plus sign tgeres no way to reliably orient your direction and the middle of the plus sign gives the same affect as the deadzone circle. So literally no functionality was lost in the redesign of that pad. Only gained.
>>
>>383614351
>fast-paced fps like Quake, Unreal Tournament, Painkiller and others.
But it's actually excellent for those kind of games (provided you don't play against M+KB users, of course)
What are you talking about?
The steam controller makes even instagib viable and fun as fuck, even though it would be 100% unplayable on an analog stick controller.
>>
>>383612152
it's really fucking awful

if I could replace the track pads with analog sticks and fix the shape so I didn't need to claw grip this shit I would. like what the fuck, I shouldn't need to overextend my thumbs to access the most vital part of a game pad
>>
File: 1364759182359.jpg (20KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1364759182359.jpg
20KB, 500x333px
>>383631037
>Claw grip
>Steam controller
Why are they always so stupid?
Why do they always discredit themselves in the first post?
>>
>>383631230
it might a problem on your end, I dunno
>>
>>383621846
What are you even talking about? The analog stick does one job and does it well, that's movement, especially in games which actually expect one. Using the left trackpad for something as basic as movement is a huge waste since it's way more flexible and fully featured. Wasting it on basic movement is just bad.
>>
I'd get this if it had better support outside of steam. Plenty of games come out on their own launcher these days.
>>
>>383633607
>Plenty of games come out on their own launcher these days.
What days, the 90s? Are you a time traveler?
>>
>>383633607
you mean publishers
>>
>>383633879
Yeah this.
>>
>valve drones are still shilling this garbage
>>
>>383634079
I hate Valve and don't think they deserve most of the success they've gotten and have done pretty shit things with the success overall.
Pirate all of your games instead of buying on Steam. Buy on literally anything else if you're a buyfag. By all means. Fuck Gabe. Fuck Valve. Fuck Steam.

But this controller? It's good shit and if you own a gaming PC I genuinely consider it to be as must-have as a having a MK+B and a standard controller. It's one of the only things modern Valve has done right.
>>
>>383634079
seems to work well enough for me :^). And like half the time it's half off - it's a great deal for 25 burger vouchers. It's close to peak controller - it just needs a dial-type thing for paddle games
>>
>>383634437
they've been doing some great stuff with VR. You can really tell that a third of their employees are working on VR stuff; the new vive knuckle controllers are amazing. Plus they support the revive project, which gets oculus-only games running on the vive.

still, could be a better company. But it's important to give credit when they do good
>>
>>383612152
where can i get a good saturn USB controller
>>
>>383613958
Uh, the ps4 controller has a trackpad and it's utterly useless. I just don't see the point.
>>
>>383634941
God there's always at least one.

Fuck you. And your half baked opinion.
>>
>>383617597
you should be a mathematician, mongoloid
Thread posts: 269
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.