[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me /v/, what JRPG has the best character progression/customization

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: ffx-sphere-grid.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ffx-sphere-grid.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
Tell me /v/, what JRPG has the best character progression/customization system?

pic related?
>>
I liked Bravely Default's mix and match main and sub classes thing. I'm sure there are more comprehensive systems but it never really felt limiting after you unlocked a bunch of classes.
>>
I like my FF with easily exploited Job Systems, Tactics and Bravely Default are the best at that.

Something I want to vent about tho:

Equipement that gives you permanent Bonuses to the character if you wear it enough is a fucking horrible idea.
Instead of actually caring about Stat Weights and min maxing a character you will just sit on a piece of gear no matter how shitty it has become until you unlocked the Bonus then move on to the next one no matter if it's actually good for the character or not because stacking as many permanent Traits as possible is the best way to progress a character.

Fuck FFIX and Tales, this shit needs to stop.
>>
>>383591650
>Equipement that gives you permanent Bonuses to the character if you wear it enough is a fucking horrible idea.

I thought about mentioning this in the OP since I just finished Berseria, glad someone said it.
I think that system actually has some potential, but the way they did it in Tales is retarded
>>
File: f7bc32e2e4fa1ce5fd4e397555a0d0d4.jpg (585KB, 780x1588px) Image search: [Google]
f7bc32e2e4fa1ce5fd4e397555a0d0d4.jpg
585KB, 780x1588px
Objectively-speaking, it's Rune Factory 4. Every single thing you do has an associated skill, and every skill has at least 100 levels, while your actual level goes up to 50,000, which is fucking absurd, but you legitimately need numbers like that to take on endgame dungeons. Every single item(and I mean EVERY item) and piece of equipment can be customized with whatever effects you can think of, with the only limitation being your RP. It gives you complete control over almost every aspect of your character, and as such, it's really overwhelming, but also empowering once you understand how to make best use of each system you're given.

The Materia system is nice too, even if Materia choice becomes a little braindead at endgame.
>>
>>383591134
>gain 50 slvl
>spend the next hour mindless clicking around that thing

It would've been much improve by some kind of auto progress feature
>>
>>383591134
Sphere grid is literally the only redeeming feature of this absolute garbage bag of a game. I'm still mad teenage me bought a PS2 for that piece of shit.
>>
>>383591134
You misspelled worst, OP>
>>
>>383591134
It's like an Unisoft skill tree but worse to navigate. Great!!

I like the skill/class system from Fire Emblem Awakening
>>
>>383591134
FFTA
>>
>>383591134
>>383592674
I wasn't really a fan of the sphere grid. It did nothing to encourage experimentation or inventiveness. Despite being "open", it really ended up feeling relatively linear because you'd be a fucking idiot to invest in anything other than magic shit for Lulu or Yuna.

>>383591650
I liked where Bravely Default was going with its job system, but I also felt overwhelmed with way too many jobs to choose from and having to level the jobs up -- I felt I was being punished for experimentation unless I wanted to grind "lost" job levels.

I guess my favorite isn't necessarily a progression/customization, but I like the alternative in Fire Emblem. Instead of customizing your character, you customize your team, choosing the appropriate characters for the tactics you want to employ. Lots of opportunity for experimentation and you don't lose your investment in your characters.
>>
Is Bravely Second any good? I didn't like the first game all hat much except for the job system, but this thread made me hungry for more of that garbage.
>>
>>383595256
It's not as good as the first one, Edea is cute but otherwise the characters aren't as strong.

If you didn't like the first one the second one won't make you change your mind.
>>
>>383595256
You get wildly improved game mechanics in exchange for a shit story (even as far as JRPGs go) and a party with zero chemistry personality-wise.

If you think of it as an overpriced expansion as opposed to a sequel, it's well worth it.
>>
>>383595529
>>383595793
Alright, thanks.

I thought the characters were the weakest part in the first game. Can't believe it actually gets worse.
>>
>>383596248
The first one had anime protagonists.

The second one has deviantart protagonists oh and Edea who is so bored she can only talk about food.
>>
Tactics Ogre
>>
>>383596623
Nah, fuck its skill progression system.
>>
>>383591329
Default and especially Second have such a shitload of possible party compositions and build variety it's just hilarious.
You can absolutely break the game if you want to with shit like 3 yokai ghosts spamming meteor rain + auto-undo tank spamming soul cannon
>>
>>383592079
Never played in Run Factory, can i just jump into 4?
>>
>>383597717
I tried a level 20 run of this game so all my stats were dogshit, but if you equip limit breaker, prolong support, and prescience, you will have more defense than any boss can deal with and you null their damage.

Which I think is why so many end bosses know dispel.
>>
I want to see a game with progression like Fable 1 did, with the caveat that you can't max everything.

In Fable 1, your character's physical appearance changes based on the path you go. Strength build gives you a lot of muscle mass and Skill(equivalent to Dex) makes you tall and slender.

The problem with Fable 1 though was that once you've maxxed EVERYTHING, you're this tall behemoth of a man because of all of the physical attributes stack
>>
File: bdcc2440de013c544b96f85aeac9842f.jpg (113KB, 888x1170px) Image search: [Google]
bdcc2440de013c544b96f85aeac9842f.jpg
113KB, 888x1170px
>>383598142
You can definitely start with the 4th game, but keep in mind that it'll probably ruin every other game in the series for you, it's just that good. If you can you should start with 3, it has a lot more waifus but with less depth.
>>
>>383591134
Sphere grid was the shit

But Materia system was god-tier
>>
>>383599780
Materia was pretty interesting, but it made everyone too interchangable in combat.
>>
>>383591134
A friend of mine managed to arrive to the battle against Sin (where the legion and Yevon get beaten) without knowing anything about those spheres.
>>
>>383600039
And sphere grid somehow doesn't?
>>
>>383591650
>A black mage should just randomly understand new spells instead of learning to understand them with the help of a focus.
Nah it's a good mechanic.
>>
>>383591134
FF7
the idea of the materia system is basically unsurpassed in all vidya and I wish other games would pick it up too.

The actual implementation in FF7 has its problems, like this >>383600039, but which could be easily fixed by giving characters or weapons different slot setups or so.

next would be multi-classing like FFT/5, which is a staple everywhere, not just in vidya, but nevertheless it's one of the best systems.
>>
>>383600995
IIRC you can beat the game without touching the sphere grid. Idk how though
>>
>>383591134
Path of exile before they nerfed the shit out of the tree.
>>
trees>jobs>grids
>>
>>383597717
In Default you can just go all Valkyries and never get hit. I did the final boss and took pretty much no damage.

Haven't played Second yet so I might pick it up.
>>
>>383601497
Unless you use the alt Sphere grid in the remake most characters position in the grid heavily restricts the roll they can fill for like 80% of the game, unlike materia which pretty much makes most characters interchangeable from the get go
>>
>>383591134
Disgaea V. Unparalleled for me, I simply love the progression mechanics too much. They've spoiled me for any other game.

I think that the Disgaea series is definitive proof that the best way to make character progression/leveling fun is to make it exploitable as fuck.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.