[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has there literally EVER been a game with a good "crafting"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_9079.jpg (80KB, 354x473px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9079.jpg
80KB, 354x473px
Has there literally EVER been a game with a good "crafting" mechanic?
>>
Minecraft
>>
Rust
>>
>>383587118
Atelier totori
>>
>>383587118
mineycrafta
>>
Vagrant story
>>
>>383587308
>no way to find recipes except googling or guessing
nope
>>
I honestly think minecraft's is (or at least was, haven't played in quite some time) pretty on-point
I suppose it's the fact that you can craft items in any number by putting stacks on the crafting table, frankly my only complaint on games with crafting systems tends to be when you have to manually craft items single-turn even though you want to make a fuckton of it

What are some games with explicitly bad crating systems?
>>
>>383587118
runescape
>>
>>383587118
Ragnarok
Terraria
Aion had a great crafting system for a mmo, too bad the drop rates fucked everything over.
>>
>>383587536
I love building brown bricks with minecrap
>>
Factorio
Then again crafting to craft better is the entire focus.
>>
The Atelier games generally handle it pretty well, which is good because crafting is the core of the game.

It generally just comes down to whether the crafting is an intended part of the main gameplay loop from the start or just some bullshit thing they tack on to force you to grind for shit. Most crafting systems wind up being the latter.
>>
>>383587118
Life
>>
>>383587931
Really jogs my noggin senpai
>>
>>383587609
git gud
>>
I am literally a person
>>
>>383587609
>vanilla minecraft.
>>
File: 1497979315673.jpg (39KB, 604x388px) Image search: [Google]
1497979315673.jpg
39KB, 604x388px
>>383587416
>play Rorona
>do some ALCHEMY SHIT
>it takes in-game days
>miss important character events because I wasn't playing with a faq

Fuck that shit.
>>
Has there ever been one as baffling as tempering in Legend of Mana?
>>
>>383587383
Old Rust? This shit is broken as fuck right now famalam

t. 2k hours
>>
>>383587569
YES
>>
>>383588315

There's a reason why Rorona's the one game in the series they've straight-up gone back to and remade. Later games (including Rorona plus) are much less dumb about that shit.
>>
Final Fantasy 14 has an excellent crafting system.
>>
>>383587118
The entire Atelier franchise is focused around crafting, so it makes sense that they also have the best item creation systems you'll find in video games.

Also, Star Ocean 2.
>>
What do you even want out of a crafting system?
>>
>>383587118
Path of exile
>>
>>383589585
Crafting.
>>
Last of us
>>
I really WANT a game to come up with an excellent crafting system because the idea of it is cool, it has never been implemented well.
>>
Intuitively placing items in the shape of a sword and having it actually make a sword in Minecraft was pretty good.

I don't really engage with crafting systems though, so that's all I can say.
>>
>>383589585
Ingredients that logically contribute to the finished product, and being able to change ingredients to change the finished product. Many ingredients of varying difficulty to obtain. Items to create that aren't just padding bullshit like +1 to your ammo pouch. And crafting itself should be more than just picking a product from a list.
>>
>>383589815
Why haven't you played Atelier?
>>
>>383587665
This. It's absolute perfection.
>>
>>383589929
because I cant keep track of every game to exist ever, but I will check it out.
>>
>>383589585
Speaking of ARPGs: Bad drop insurance and control over your gearing.

>I need +1 to skeleton skills, and ice resists on a left pauldron
>either grind for hours with no guarantees or just farm seal blubber and lich titties and build an a decent one.
>>
I've always wanted to do a fantasy game/mmo where the cooking is very complex and the gun maintenance as well.

Not just click on recipe = food, you pick your ingredients, you can cut up a meat to individual slices, you cook them as long as you consider appropriate (monhun anyone?) and season etc. Water/flour and all kinds of interactions.

Great chance to fuck it up and produce something dangerous form a bacteria point of view etc.

Gunplay with complete disassembly, cleaning, potential for individual pins breaking, etc. If your gun breaks during a shootout, and you have space/time, you can go ahead and play armorer, but normally you'd have to go sidearm or pick up something off the ground. Then back at base in peace and gaslight you can start working on it at your pace.

I'm kind of going to force cooking at my tabletop D&D game after reading dungeon meshi. I did before that too, but now it's going to be pronounced.
>>
>>383589890
Do you want to physically assemble your crafts?
>>
>>383589689
Yeah poe has a great crafting system:

step 1: get rich
step 2: just buy the item instead because it's cheaper than making it
>>
>>383590270
clearly you dont know about crafting recipes and how to abuse them.
>>
>>383590327
Well if all you're after is a +1 fire wand I guess it's good.
>>
>>383590257
I'm saying there should be interaction in the crafting system beyond just picking out the crafted item from a list. Atelier has the elements and alchemy skills and newer games have the cauldron system, Rune Factory has simple minigames in Frontier and Oceans.
>>
File: 1364786243776.png (103KB, 289x273px) Image search: [Google]
1364786243776.png
103KB, 289x273px
Crafting was pretty much intentionally be designed to be frustrating, unfun, and job-like so that the economies of MMO's would function properly. It's inherently not meant to be fun though some degree of satisfaction can be derived from it.

Any dev putting an extensive crafting system into their single player game, even a fucking RPG, is trash tier in my opinion. In the case of RPGs I'm more talking DA:I's armor crafting being necessary for high level gear and less about Origins crafting potions, traps, or poisons
>>
>>383587118
Looking at this image makes me physically uncomfortable.
>>
The best possible crafting system is having an abstract "resources" meter that you can use as currency in some sort of crafting shop.
>>
>>383587118
Crafting is stupid because there's no gameplay involved. The only input by the gamer is select a few items on a menu and pressing a button. It's basically sheet gaming.
Unless an AAA game come up with something better that actually consider more advanced player input I'm afraid we will be stuck with this shitty system that plagues games nowadays.
>>
>>383587118
FFV.

It's so good it breaks the game.
>>
>>383591692
Several examples in this thread have been given of games that have more to the crafting than that.
>>
Is there any crafting system more stressful than Dragon Quest VIII alchemy without a guide? All these powerful items you might never see if you've wasted rare ingredients put a huge pressure on me
>>
File: file.png (456KB, 652x368px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
456KB, 652x368px
I think that with crafting and cooking, it should be a focus on characters interacting with each other with them making something in a way that makes sense like how Vanillaware's "recipes" actually make sense with the ingredients and the end dish.

The end result should give the player something that they cannot obtain from shops with added scenes from (hopefully) their favorite characters.
>>
>>383587118
Eve Online
far better system than whatever atrocious profession garbage you find in themeparks with PVE loot dungeons
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.