[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did some slav in his potato vodka shack create a more interesting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 514
Thread images: 48

File: underrail 2017-07-11 14-01-55-06.jpg (982KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
underrail 2017-07-11 14-01-55-06.jpg
982KB, 1920x1080px
How did some slav in his potato vodka shack create a more interesting cRPG than multi million dollar backed "veterans"?
>>
By not caring about pandering to the common casual who has never played a game before
Big budgets means big profits are required which means trying to get as many people as possible to buy it
>>
got some strong dejavu from this thread
>>
>>383585642
cRPGs live or die on story and mechanics. Money can't buy that; it's either someone having a brilliant idea about how to make a system or building off a long history of pen and paper RPGs and thinking about how you would improve them.
>>
>>383585642
>potato vodka
More like plum rakija, Americano.
>>
>>383585738
This guy knows.
>>
>>383585642
hi dev, stop shilling here.
>>
Slavs in general are better at game design. Too bad they are poor as shit and they games end up being a buggy mess most of the time.
>>
>>383585642
Some people really like the spreadsheet aspect of old games.
They enjoy the systems involved with a game far more than the game itself.
The are usually accountants or actuaries and enjoy charts and graphs far more than your average gaming enthusiast.
>>
>>383586608
He's made enough sales that he can outsource that shit anon.
>>
>>383586608
It's just the RPGeezers from the Codex shilling another one of their owns shitty game.
They are beginning to realize we aren't laughing with them about Grimoire and are moving on.
>>
>>383585642
slavs are magic and really good at making games for some reason
must be all those squats
>>
File: 1494604954902.jpg (36KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1494604954902.jpg
36KB, 400x400px
>>383586850
Just because I don't like the underrail dev shilling and le based slav retards, doesn't mean I hate RPGCodex
>>
>>383586692
>Slavs in general are better at game design
This.
Witchers, Stalkers, This war of mine, metro series, world of tanks, i could go on and on...
>>
>>383585738
The whole point of kickstarter games was bypassing that by directly getting funding for something a publisher wouldn't normally give a green light.
>>
Anyone know when the next Reboot Develop is? I always miss it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEewLWDpscA
>>
Is this worth playing if I already have Fallout 2, the Age of Decadence, Arcanum and Baldur's Gate 2 in my backlog?
>>
>>383586996
Kickstarter games still require pandering to all the people who actually backed them, which is still far more than Underrail sold
>>
>>383586991
could you really? Because that handful of mediocre crap is the entire list.
>>
>>383585738
This desu.
There is no any deeper reason really.
Game has to sell, so it panders to general audience, which is often America.
America being mix of a lot of races/culture/different people causes those game to be really bland and washed out to get as many people to play it as possible.
Also the difficulty has to be low so anyone can play it.
Games are mainstream and just a business now.
>>
>>383587105
Play Arcanum first, then play Underail
>>
>>383587105
It is very worth playing, and your backlog will keep growing endlessly anyway
By the way, you should start with Age of Decadence because it is very short for a cRPG (it really requires multiple playthroughs, but just one to see if you like the game's C&C style will be short)
>>
File: 1497187178252.jpg (15KB, 480x321px) Image search: [Google]
1497187178252.jpg
15KB, 480x321px
>>383585642
>psycho monk
>>
>>383587105
Sure. But you could also just start playing through your backlog. It's a good backlog, so why wait?
>>
>>383587183
Talos Principle, Serious Sam series, Pathologic, The Void, Cossacks series, Age of Pirates series, Pirates of the Caribbean, Death to Spies series.
>>
>>383586979
They are just a bunch of old timers yelling at us kids to get off their lawn.
there is no reason to hate them but the recent influx of them is apparent.
They will head back to their home once they feel they have showed us how smart they are.
>>
>>383587334
hey those actually not crap games unlike your other list.
>>
>>383587310
best fucking class is unarmed psy
>>
>>383587427
Not him
>>
What do you guys think of Inqusitor?
I know the stamina system is retarded, but if you just accept that you should chug potions instead of waiting for it to regen, it's quite fun
>>
>>383585642
i didn't like it after I had to actually think in combat when it was me vs 6 fucking guys cause lmao party system is for cucks
>>
UPDATE WHEN?
I WANT TO REPLAY BUT I WANT TO USE SPEARS
>>
>>383587641
>not being able to handle six guys
ADRENALINE SHOT
BURST!
BURST!
>>
>>383587734
>fireball them all because they're clustered
>they all have the fear effect and run away
>stealth up and wait for them to come back
>>
>>383587725
Replay it for fuck's sake. You know that the expansion still isn't close to release.
>>
>>383587734
I probably fucked my build or didn't have good enough armor or weapons or items or whatever and after that point I cba to try to grind that shit or restart
The place was that warehouse thing in the city hub that I needed to clear
>>
>>383587994
Do you mean the first real mission you get after clearing out rathounds and psybugs?
Just explore your surroundings m8, you can have a turret kill most of them
>>
>>383587641
You have grenades for a reason, use them.
Also there are fuckton of stun and immobilisation skills at your disposal.
>>
>>383587641
Trying to handle 10 enemies at once is Underrail at its best though
>>
>>383588097
I remeber grenades not being enough and I either got rushed by some fags or just sniped by a nigger with a sniper rifle
>>
File: falco.png (910KB, 712x861px) Image search: [Google]
falco.png
910KB, 712x861px
>>383586996
Kick starter brings all new problems with funding games.

An indie game tends to be free of deadlines, being tied to Kickstarter automatically expects you to set deadlines and keep to them.
This is why so many Kickstarter games fall short, miss deadlines and fade away. Because they can't possibly understand the time they need to make the game. They're a fucking indie dev, not a studio.
So being tied to a deadline automatically reduces the quality for an indie dev, whether it be omitted features or build quality in general.

Kickstarter should never be used to fund development of a game, it should be used to get a completed game into circulation.

There's no way an indie dev could know how much money they would need, plus there are plenty of examples of a dev actually getting the money and then going nuts because they don't actually need it to develop then realised they DID need it and can't meet dealines now.
>>
>>383587610
amazing. I wish I could actually play it with the combat fix. The writing, music and graphics are fucking amazing. It the thing I dreamed of after Diablo 2
>>
>>383588086
i don't remeber any turrets there, the mission I got stuck in was clearing warehouse for praetorian security
>>
>>383588314
Okay sorry, I thought you were talking about a way earlier mission. Carry on
>>
>>383588268
>the combat fix
The what now? Anyway, I enjoyed the combat as a mage guy just spamming spells and killing everything before it could even reach you like fucking Divine Divinity
>>
>>383587994
Almost anything can be killed with some preparation and good strategy. That being said, the warehouse quest is hard.

Bear traps can be placed even without any traps skill, and if you plant them near the entrance those who get stuck will block the way so you can burst/grenade/magic them to pieces.

If you had electronics, you could make a taser and stun them for very little AP. You can also use flashbangs to incapacitate in a pretty wide area, or molotovs that cover an even larger area and come with a 50% to set things on fire.
>>
Can someone posts a couple interesting classes for me to consider for my first play through? I don't play many crpgs but I got this in a humble bundle and I'm pretty excited since everyone says this game is very combat focused with a lot of viable classes
>>
>>383588874
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=843557165

Check the character build part.
>>
File: 1498360010633.png (591KB, 1442x5600px) Image search: [Google]
1498360010633.png
591KB, 1442x5600px
>>383588874
You can use these as templates, but feel free to mix and match ideas you see in different builds. Psi is especially very flexible, so don't worry about the one on this list being a tank. That's just one way to do it.
>>
>>383585642
>a more interesting cRPG
Because he didn't.
>>
>>383588874
If you like mage classes that obliterate everything from range you should go for psy
You have so many points left over from not needing any perception that you can even go full CON for the anti-glass cannon!
Also, IMO you should get at least some stealth on most builds because manually starting a combat encounter while stealthed guarantees you the first move
>>
>>383589292
>how did this guy make a more interesting cRPG than these veterans?
>because he didn't
That makes no sense grammatically or semantically
>>
>>383589326
>>383589119
>>383589095

Thanks for the info

I definitely want some magic and stealth so I can sneak around levels gimping enemies here and there.

What are the most important attributes to invest in other than stealth? I hear people talking about traps a lot, do you have to invest points to be good with those?
>>
>>383589746
>so I can sneak around levels gimping enemies here and there
That's really not what a psion is supposed to do in this game, you should go with daggers or snipers if you want to hit people and restealth
Mages are more like come out of stealth to get the first attack, and immediately nuke all enemies they can see as well as alert all others in the area
>>
>>383589746
If you'd like to use magic make sure you max will on character creation. Usually getting it up to 16 by the end of the game makes for a very powerful mage, but if you'd like to put those points to some other use, even the 10-12 range is good enough.

Get at least 6 agility for sprint, or 7 if you are serious about stealth and want to do more than just combat initiation. 7 agility allows you to get the Interloper feat later, which makes you move faster while in stealth and allows you to keep some MPs if you initiate combat while stealthed.

Mages also benefit from having good intelligence, since it helps with psi regen and also makes leveling crafting feats and hacking faster. Since those skills all have soft caps, this means with better intelligence you have some freedom to spread your points for these skills.

>do you have to invest points to be good with those?

Yes, if you want to use them as a core part of your strategy. Only the most basic traps can be placed without skills, and enemies can detect and disarm your traps if they have the skill themselves. Higher skill will make your traps harder to spot and harder to disarm. But, if you use explosive mines an alternative strategy is to not worry about them detecting your traps, but remote detonate them yourself with a ranged attack when they get close enough. In that case it's enough to have only as much skill as the trap itself needs, and you can boost it somewhat with items like Trapper's Belt.
>>
>>383585642
It's fun, but it's not perfect

1) Player becomes too powerful too fast
2) Differences between Normal and Hard difficulty are negligible
3) Repetitive gameplay
4) Same strategies needed for all enemies
>>
>>383589907
Well, that's not really true. Stealth and magic go well together. Psykers get like half a dozen different abilities that allow for easy restealth, unlike non-psi builds whose options for it are much more limited. A tranquility psyker popping in and out of stealth is a perfectly good concept.
>>
>>383587641
>not using molotovs
>not spamming grenades

nob
>>
>>383588243
How can one dude be so fucking stupid?
>>
>>383590762
>2) Differences between Normal and Hard difficulty are negligible

That has never been the case, but it especially isn't since the AI update. Hard difficulty gets you much less base HP, the difference in healing item cooldown length compared to normal is enormous, and the AI is noticeably smarter (for reference before the patch the enemies had the AI on every difficulty level that is used by easy now).

>4) Same strategies needed for all enemies
...what? Let's not even go far in the game, you'll have a really hard time if you try to use the same strategy for the enemies you encounter in the first two hours: rats, psi-bugs, bots and human raiders.
>>
>>383589119
UH i don't remember the UI looking like this? Did he release the expansion?
>>
>>383591492
That's not the game's UI, one anon decided to put this list together using the character build tool.

underrail dot info dot tm

It's fantastic if you want to plan out your entire build in advance, check synergies, etc.
>>
When is the expansion coming out? Is there a point to starting a run now?
>>
>>383591971
>When is the expansion coming out?
We don't know, probably before the end of the year. But it's anyone's guess, really.

>Is there a point to starting a run now?
Depends. Is this your first? If it is, how do you feel about replaying it in a few months for the expansion? Game has really good replayability, but if you are not the kind who likes to play a game more than one time, it's better to wait.

If you've played it before, Styg said that until he says otherwise, we should assume that there is enough time left for at least one more full playthrough. So in that case, go ahead.
>>
>>383592261
Yeah, it's my first run.
I don't mind replaying, I've gone through FO1/2 many times.
I'll give it a try then, thanks anon.
>>
>>383591448
Early game is the only stage where you need to be careful and know how your enemies's traits, but that progressively stops mattering later on, later on the game gives you way too many tools and power to dispose your enemies and their AI never changes, so ultimately you find the optimal way to do things in every situation and the only thing that matters is whether it's a single enemy or if they're packed. That's what happened during my full PSI build, once I got past the early game I found myself killing everyone and everything using the same tactics all the time.

I didn't know an AI patch was released though. It's been some time since I played this.
>>
>>383586991
world of tanks is trash
>>
>>383592479
The funniest thing I remember is getting that psi abilities that make your spells cost less AP and MP shortly after I got the stream of fire which procs as many times as it can with your AP
>>
>>383592762
>like up bunch of enemies near a door by bear trapping it
>barbecue time
>>
>>383592479
PSI is a special case though, since it has a natural counter to almost everything. It gives you spells that deal high mechanical damage, high elemental damage of every kind, damage that bypasses every armor, stuns, dazes, complete immunity to mental attacks, complete immunity to incapacitation/stun that can be activated while already under the effect, psi inhibition, freeze, burn, bleeding, blinding.

PSI can do pretty much everything except acid and bio. So if you play PSI you just have to figure out what works for the enemy you face, and then select the appropriate ability to counter it. Other builds don't have it this easy.
>>
>>383593184
The most fun I had was figuring out strategies to tackle large groups without letting them act even for a single trun.
>a feat can convert every single ability into a AOE one

That shit was crazy.
>>
>>383587734
>group of enemies
>stealth
>move behind them
>Cut Throat one of them
>turn on energy shield
>end my turn
>adrenaline shot
>sprint
>nothin personnel through them with my dagger with combined of 42% crit rate
>loot their corpses
>fade into darkness
>>
>>383593184
PSI turned the game into a cake walk, it didn't make a real difference in Hard because I almost always killed everyone before I got hit or got hit too few times to worry about, so the reduced base HP and healing never really affected me.

If other builds are more balanced then good, that gives me a reason to replay the game someday.
>>
>>383593652
Being creative with the fuckloads of toys given to you is what makes PSI fun. Sure you have everything you need, but they all depend on the same resource, so you still need to play smart in the limited window for action you have, or you'll be raped hard once your psi is depleted.

So in the end you trade one thing for something else.
>>
>>383585642
so is this the game skinnyfat neets play on their budget laptops?
>>
>>383585642
Because those "veterans" are exactly that. Old dried up sponges that live by not considering anything anymore. They're quite happy to release the same thing every single time expecting you to lap it up like a cum guzzler.

Money doesn't make good games, it can help make them into better games but it can't make good games.

I haven't played underrail yet, is it actually 'good'?
>>
>>383590762
I knew underrail was inspired by fallout, but it's THIS fucking similar???
>>
File: worm food.jpg (249KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
worm food.jpg
249KB, 1024x768px
>>383587183
>STALKER
>mediocre
get off this board and never return, people that unironically hate stalker need to be banned from this board permanently. no discussion.
>>
>>383594116
It is a very good game if you care about gameplay. But you know, proof of the pudding and all. If you are curious pirate it and give it a go.
>>
>>383585642
HOW THE FUCK DID YOU GET SO POWERFUL GODDAMMET

MY CHARACTER IS SHIT AND THE CROSSBOW IS SHIT
>>
>>383594658
Never used the crossbow, but unarmed with combat gloves and psychokinesis is amazing.
>>
>>383593975
Magic is versatility. Mages can always exist in their own bubbles as long as they dedicate theselves to it.
>>
Reminder that hacking is the most kino skill.
>>
>>383594658
>crossbow

Special bolts, my nigga. And stealth, since crossbow is pretty silent as far as weapons go.
>>
It's a shame he nerfed Depot.
Those tears were delicious.
>>
>>383587610
Cool writing but fairly boring gameplay mechanics and rpg system itself.
Still enjoyed it though.
>>
>>383595039
>>
>>383595039
I never get tired of watching this.
>>
>>383595179
>lock
Time to drop some spaghetti
>>
>>383585642
i sohuld have bought during sales.
>>
>>383595179
That raider leader guy has a line for when he spots you? I just stealthed in through the sidedoor and threw a fireball
>>
File: subarashii.jpg (48KB, 459x640px) Image search: [Google]
subarashii.jpg
48KB, 459x640px
>full psi build with 9CON
>tactical vest
>a few points into throwing
>feels like i'm controlling a boss instead of a simple playable character
Jesus fuck i love this game.
>>
>>383595439
Yeah. You can also demand to be taken to him when you go down the trap door.
>>
>>383594968
Everything is closed to one shorting me
>>
>>383595384
It's not that expensive to begin with, but there's always next sale.
>>
>>383595585
How far are you in the game? What are your skills?
>>
File: 1459835991074.jpg (30KB, 344x344px) Image search: [Google]
1459835991074.jpg
30KB, 344x344px
>>383595179
YOU CAN LOCK DOORS?
>>
>>383595819
If you have the right keycard.
>>
File: are you fucking kidding me.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
are you fucking kidding me.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>383595095
Those UR generals when it first came out were hilarious. SO many shitters getting bricked at Depot.
>>
>>383586996
This isn't what ends up happening at all. Instead of serving a board of shareholders and directors, you end up bending over backwards attempting to appease the impossible demands of entitled autists... Which is even worse because once some nerd has sunk money into your project he expects the end result to cater to his every desire.
>>
>>383595729
Close to the end I guess

Need kill that guy with the acid gang n' shieeet
>>
>>383595925

I don't understand how to reach a point where you can 1 shot everything sniping. When I tried a sniper build I was getting steamrolled, and all I could use was pistols since snipers don't show up until after Depot, which is kind of the point in the game that goes full bullshit on the difficult scale.
>>
>slavic people make good games on low budgets

When will this completely dogshit, untrue myth be put to rest?

I can count the number of halfway decent slav games on one hand compared the the hours it would take to count the number of good American and Japanese games made.
>>
File: negative-man.png (596KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
negative-man.png
596KB, 600x600px
>could never solve the mutagen puzzle
>could never finish because of this
>>
>>383589119
End game stat spreads are far more useful than the initial allocation since some stuff like chemistry and throwing you don't need too may points in for it to be useful
>>
>>383596862
The mutagen puzzle is optional, depending on your build you might not need it at all.
>>
>>383597031
It wasn't optional for me because the extra enemies made killing the boss impossible.
>>
>>383596392
By that late in the game you should already have at least a decent energy shield, and a good shield can cover your ass in most situations. What are you using? Do you have points in electronics?
>>
>>383587418
>Codexers are geezers
I'm 24 and I hate the Witcher 3 and all of your nu faggot RPGs. Underrail is a msterpiece you little shit.
>>
>>383597142
Well, if you are certain and still have it written down, we can try to solve it for you if you'd like.
>>
File: fugged yeah.jpg (119KB, 1342x899px) Image search: [Google]
fugged yeah.jpg
119KB, 1342x899px
>>383596862
:^)
>>
I just picked this up again after 2 years of not playing
turns out I'm at the caverns now and I don't remember shit
might just cheat shit up since I just want to get this game off my list and I don't want to restart anymore
>>
>>383598170
>forgetting what you were doing in the DC

Ouch. The wiki has a fairly good walkthrough if you need to refresh your memory.

Then pray to Tchort that you haven't left key quest items in some random container you no longer remember.
>>
File: Immagine.png (438KB, 1360x760px) Image search: [Google]
Immagine.png
438KB, 1360x760px
>>383597192
this
>>
>>383598803
That's a lot of wasted points. But if you are level 14 (you are level 14, right?), there is still time to salvage it. Can you show the rest? This screenshot doesn't have all of the skills you are leveling.

But first thing first, whatever you do, forget about Guns. You can juggle two combat skills, but keeping three, and none of them maxed, is a very bad idea.
>>
I really like this game and was having a blast up until Core City, where I did all the quests and realized that in order to advance the main quest I have to do arena matches until one of the oligarchs takes interest in me.

That a really questionable design decision imo. Locking the entire main quest behind what is essentially some filler combat encounters. These kind of arenas are part-and-parcel of rpgs and are usually filler for those who like disjointed combat encounters and gauntlets. I don't. I like my combat to have context that's why I usually avoid all sorts of arenas. It also feels out of character for a stealthy, low-profile, opportunistic character to risk his ass fighting for some dimes.

Too bad the game forces you to do this. Great game otherwise.
>>
>>383585642
that terminator avatar

can you play as a robot/cyborg ?
>>
>>383600716
No
The avatar you pick has no influence on anything whatsoever
>>
File: Immagine.png (201KB, 2708x1664px) Image search: [Google]
Immagine.png
201KB, 2708x1664px
>>383600073
yeah level 14

how do i save this trash build
>>
>>383600792
only boring ass meatbags ?
>>
>>383600340
It's pretty lame but it strikes me as more of a writing decision than a gameplay one.

>>383600716
Augs were planned at one point but cut due to lack of time
>>
>>383600716
Nope. Lore-wise it isn't out of question since mechanical body parts exist, but you can't get biomods in the game. Maybe one day in a sequel or something.
>>
>>383585642
Shit game.

Has no map.
>>
>>383601059
geh gud :v)
>>
>>383600340
i get a offer from the pretorian(?)

just make the quest with the train
>>
>>383598803
>>383600889
Wew lad, what was the concept there? Listen, this is the dreaded jack of all trades, so rerolling would be the easiest option.

But if you really want to keep this, we can try to figure out something. I have to leave now and by the time I return the thread will probably die, but take it to the /indie/ general on /vg/, that will hopefully still be alive. Tell them you don't want to reroll, so try to work with this.
>>
>>383596921
>Psi Empathy
>zero points in psi skills

What the fuck are you doing?
>>
File: 621797091_preview_Screenshot_10.png (240KB, 1359x767px) Image search: [Google]
621797091_preview_Screenshot_10.png
240KB, 1359x767px
>>383601059
>>
>>383600889
lmao it's time to reroll bub, social skills are useless (unless you want dat persuasion lore), 3 combat skills is retarded, combining psi can work only if it's specific shit like psycho/melee, hazmat crafting point dump wasted, dodge and evasion are useless late game with proper armor

basically pick skills at the start and keep maxing them out, you get punished for trying to pull jack-of-all-trades bullshit in this game
>>
>>383600889
>>383601627

also SEVEN INT and ALMOST NO POINTS IN CRAFTING? the FUCK WAS THE PLAN?
>>
>>383601528
It's been a little while since I played so I don't quite remember. I think I was curious what the pill did and just rolled with the consequences instead of scumming
>>
File: 1499404834586.gif (425KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
1499404834586.gif
425KB, 350x350px
>>383601801
mah master plan was about skill point

i remember fallout 1/2 be smart help with skill point so why now?

is a blind first walkthrough
>>
I still don't understand how to re-stealth during combat.
>>
>>383602572
I think you need to be outside of LoS
>>
>>383595931
>Instead of serving a board of shareholders and directors, you end up bending over backwards attempting to appease the impossible demands of entitled autists...

It's not even that but rather devs wanting to use the Kickstarter project as a launch platform for a franchise. Which once again translates into a safe bland game which you can easily build on top of. Obsidian is probably the primary offender with Pillars of Eternity with this shit.
>>
Pretty sure he was working on this as his dream game, hugely inspired by some of his favorite games and fiction in general. He didn't care about catering to everyone or making a lot of money, and warmly welcomed and supported those, who tried and enjoyed his dream game.
>>
>>383585642
tfw i missed the sale on underrail and ended up buying 10 different metroidvanias
>>
Nice, an Underrail thread. Reminds me to finish my play through. I always play those games for too long and then I need a break and getting back to it is hard. I'd say I'm late mid game now and it's been fun, definitely worth a few replays too
I'll wait until the DLC drops
>>
>>383602572
You need to reach a certain distance and amount of turns without being seen for it to work, don't know the exact numbers but I can pull it off reliably.
Or just use a flashbang, works instantly.
>>
>>383601247
Maybe it's possible without arena if your aligned with Prettorian or Coretech but I did all missions for JKK and was locked in with them so I had to do arena.
>>
>>383586697
>tfw accountant
>tfw hate useless complexity and number heavy games
>>
What caused the surface to become uninhabitable? Does it ever get explained? Did I miss some obvious point of introduction into the setting at the start?
>>
>>383603813
Who said the surface is uninhabitable?
>>
>>383587105
Yes.

However, all of these are pretty time-consuming games. As >>383587297 mentioned, Age of Decadence is technically the shortest in terms of beating it with an individual character but to get most out of the game you'll have to beat it with multiple ones to get the full picture of what's going on in the world. I have 290 hours logged on steam.
>>
The only shit Obsidian is Veteran about is releasing unfinished games and blaming their publisher
The entire fandomof that company always spout the same shit
>>
Is it possible to start Oculus questline with zero stealth?
>>
The biggest miss in underrail is the map and
YOU CANT RUN GODDAMET
>>
This might be a proper place to ask so I'll try. My underrail playthrough hit a wall because I can't get to the docks storage in one of the main missions. The options are to dress as the guard but it doesn't work since they check on you. The other way is to bribe the dockmaster for the key, but he won't talk to me because some dialog option before closed him from me for good.

So, what do? I have pretty much cleared every other shit in that game before that so it would be nice to be able to continue from there instead starting anew.
>>
>>383604735
Don't quite remember but can't you just lockpick the door and sneak past?
>>
File: spider1.png (132KB, 590x2512px) Image search: [Google]
spider1.png
132KB, 590x2512px
rate my char

first playthrough

i have no idea what i'm doing
>>
>>383591417
>fucking stupid?
You have to be quite sharp to swindle that many people.
>>
>>383604735
In RPGs it's always wise to keep a long backlog of savegames when shit like this happens. Due to the partially non-linear nature of these games game-breaking bugs are much more likely to occur than in other types of genres.

What kind of mission are you talking about? The Core City mission where you need to sneak inside to steal shield generators?
>>
File: IRIS_backup.png (83KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
IRIS_backup.png
83KB, 300x200px
>>383603813
If you restore IRIS (the AI) at the Arke power station you can talk to it to find out how events 200 years ago lead to the current shitfest. If you try to restore it without 130 hacking it will show a Windows bluescreen crash and become unusable.
>>
>>383606024
That's referring to the fall of old Biocorp.
>>
>>383604735

Come up from the tunnels underneath and either stealth around or kill everyone inside the warehouse.
Taking them all out has no effect on the rest of the world that I can see.
>>
>>383606105
It does add some context into the way the world worked before everyone went underground. It's inferred that Biocorp was one of the few corporations wealthy/influential enough to escape whatever happened on the surface, and that most of the humans of the Southern Underrail are descendants of those employees. There's a shitload of hidden lore in Deep Caverns if you know where to look.
>>
>>383585642
Because their mindset goal is not to cater to dudebro audience, they make video games the way they want and don't really give a fuck about broading audience.
>>
>>383605050
>>383605912

I can't believe this, I just went to check it for the lockpick option, but I just talked to the dockmaster and he didn't shun me anymore. Just bribed his ass and now I can progress the game again. Holy fuck, must've been fixed or something. Thanks anyways guys!
>>
>>383604735
There's a way to bypass the front door altogether. Check nearby sewers/warehouses.
>>
>>383606604
No it doesn't.
>>
>>383607060
It's called reading comprehension. It doesn't flat out tell you these things, you need to connect the dots with other pieces of information scattered in the Underrail. The Biocorp email network in the different labs (in the entire Underrail system as well as Deep Caverns) is overlooked by a lot of people.
>>
Can I get a quick rundown on this? What is the gameplay like?
>>
File: 1496960348745.jpg (29KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1496960348745.jpg
29KB, 400x400px
>>383585738
This

Vidya is a business and publishers expect their devs to play it safe with bland, homogenized products that won't turn off any potential consumers.
>>
>>383607356
No, you're being an idiot. The Underrail and Biocorp were well established for a long fucking time before the Hollow Earth Incident. The only thing you really discover of any consequence in the Residential Area emails is that Dude should be taken far more seriously.
>>
>>383587183
What are some good games in your opinion then?
>>
>>383605359
pls guys help i'm getting pwned in the arena

smg/sniper gun build
>>
>>383607809
Dark Souls
Skyrim
Zelda BotW
>>
>>383607471

Top down isometric CRPG in the likes of Fallout 1/2. Steep learning curve that brick walls you from progressing if you fuck up your build. The game has a lot of depth in terms of mechanics and lore.

>>383607628
>didn't read the emails in the various labs
And no shit Biocorp was around before Hollow Earth. You're not reading what I'm typing. There's much more information explaining Biocorp's dominance of the region before the Hollow Earth disaster.
>>
>>383586608
Why the fuck does he need to shill when his Steam sales money makes him, by Russian standards, a fucking oligarch? Man has enough dough to keep him in potatoes, vodka and 8 out of 10 in the Ukraine bitches for life.
>>
>>383587610
It's my favourite female-corpse-inventory Tetris game ever.
>>
File: 20161209013156_1.jpg (224KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
20161209013156_1.jpg
224KB, 1360x768px
>>383608159
There's nothing in the game that points to how Biocorp became a ruling power. In the earliest information we have, they were already well established.

You could always post some screenshots, but I know you won't.
>>
>>383608175
Oligarchs are very specific things, the Russian ones refer to all the new wealthy people coming out of the collapse of the Soviet Union
It doesn't just mean "any given rich person"
>>383608159
>Steep learning curve that brick walls you from progressing if you fuck up your build
Don't be too put off by this though, if you focus on a certain archetype of character you can always beat the game, it's just that people these days apparently love going crazy with their jacks of all trades because Skyrim taught them they could become great at everything
>>
>>383596473
Why would you limit yourself to pistols before getting a sniper rifle? That just sounds stupid. You also can buy the sniper rifle blueprint pretty much right after the tutorial so it shouldn't take you that long to have a rifle anyway.
>>
>>383585642
because multi million dollar backed veterans don't create crpg at all since it's a dead genre
>>
>>383587131
How is this possible when a project goal and idea is presented before. Anyone who dares back a project up already knows what he's getting himself into, so there is no pandering.
>>
>>383608550

Getting a sniper rifle before depot is fucking impossible and sniper builds can't use assault rifles without sacrificing vital stats.
>>
>>383608159
>Steep learning curve that brick walls you from progressing if you fuck up your build.
so it's a sugarcoated way to say the game is balanced like shit like all indie productions?
>>
>>383608605
Writing isn't set in stone the moment you fund a kickstarter project
In fact, everything is just a vague idea at that point
>>
>>383608727
>Getting a sniper rifle before depot is fucking impossible
False.
>sniper builds can't use assault rifles without sacrificing vital stats.
Still don't understand why you're ignoring SMGs.
>>
>>383608727
Gang Showdown can give you a few sniper rifles for free.
>>
>>383608850
Balanced like shit would imply certain builds are grossly overpowered, which isn't true. There are many viable builds to get through the game, but it's easy to screw up if you don't know what you're doing.
>>
Posting in an rpgcodex thread
>>
>>383608850
No, see
>>383608517
It is "unbalanced" in the regular cRPG way where the protagonist becomes stronger and acquires more abilities, which usually makes the endgame easier than the start
The problem is simply that people start out as, say, a sniper focused on stealth and then decide halfway through "you know what I wanna use crossbows and traps instead" and spread their points out
>>
>>383608926

Where the hell can I get an SMG before depot? All I find is the extremely rare assault rifle and endless pistols/crossbows/knives.

>>383609029

Doesn't gang showdown happen after depot?
>>
>>383608891
How can that be possible and how can people back something they have no solid grasp of what they are backing. Also, don't people know that what developers make is eventually going to be in their image, if you didn't like it (Because it was objectively bad) then that's another point.

Let's say for example Original Sin 2, people know what they are backing before the game even got into kickstarter, because not only the game had a prequel but because the plan and idea was already laid out, it's a CRPG with turn based combat, so people expect that.
>>
>>383609173
>Where the hell can I get an SMG before depot?
Merchants and enemies. Have you actually played an RPG before? You can get your first SMG right after leaving South Gate Station if you take Jack's delivery job.
>>
>>383602915
Well he did everything from scratch even the engine. Iirc took like seven or eight years before he put it to alpha.
>>
>>383609367

Who the fuck is Jack?
>>
>>383609204
It's about the difference in depth between small passion projects like this and something big like OS2
WIth OS2, the devs know they have to pander to millions of fans of wildly varying backgrounds so naturally they have to make some things more accessible and less mechanically deep
Underrail was basically designed to be a niche game and the dev doesn't care about reaching millions of people with it. Is it really that hard to understand niche games?
If you'd like an analogy: Just compare OS2 or any other of the kickstarted or AA games made in this recent cRPG revival to some really big AAA RPG like Mass Effect Andromeda
>>
>>383609483
Also, the most extreme example for niche games having more depth I can think of: Compare any Matrix wargame with any other strategy game whatsoever
>>
>>383609463
He's an NPC at SGS that gives you a quest. I think at least one of the raiders in the commons area of the GMS Compound even has an SMG. You should try actually playing the game some time, if you do a lot of your questions will be answered.
>>
>>383588243
Honestly, this. While I am guilty of backing projects that completely funded the development of a game, I feel like kickstarter should be used more as a source to finish a product and not begin it.

What really bugs me is when I see a project where it is clear there is no real work or planning put into it, and it is just "LOLZ WOULDNT THIS BE COOL!?!", and development hasn't even started yet, or what is shown is just preliminary stuff.
>>
>>383609173
You can also get a Jaguar SMG as a reward for finding the old geezers watch. He's just outside in the SGS tunnels.
>>
>>383595925
>only dealing 1.3k with a sniper
fyi, with the right build you can crit tchort for as much as 3k
>>
>>383608605
Stretch goals and different tiers could be added later, presumably.
>>
>>383609483
My main point isn't about the target audience of certain games which do exist. My point was putting faith on kickstarter and knowing solidly what you are getting, period.
>>
>>383607919
You're a weeaboo man child
>>
>>383610062
Sure, from a "I want to fund this game and know what I am getting" perspective, it kind of works (the game can still change a lot after funding is complete though)
The point of the discussion, however, was why this game has more depth
>>
>>383609858
That was recorded on my first encounter. When I did it again I was one-shotting Tchort. RNG on weapon damage my dude.
>>
>>383610186
there's plenty of ways to get your minimum damage over 2k

also it might actually be more useful with the update, I believe it's adding penetration damage in so it might be possible your 12.7 sniper can now shoot some bastard and the 2 guys hiding behind him
>>
>>383610358
You're forgetting that snipe (the ability) cannot crit, so it shouldn't be an indication of overall damage.
>>
>>383608850
Too much balancing is the cancer killing RPGs. Not every character is meant to do everything and if you try to make a character that can do everything you'll rightfully fail. A game that essentially completely ignores a character's stats and still allows him to succeed no matter his built is not an RPG any longer since the stats have become pointless. If some builds are weaker than others it's not an inherent problem but a challenge to beat the game in spite of it. If some builds are game-breakingly strong it's up to the player to game the system and find them and have a nice power trip. Too much balance is MMOish nonsense that ends up with a boring, streamlined, sluggish experience that plays the same no matter what kind of build you make.
>>
>>383610768
that said while there does not need to be a balance of power, there needs to be a balance of fun

take most d&d games, not only are melee characters less powerful than mages, they also have vastly less options and less gameplay overall. That's also bad game design
>>
>>383610942
How is that bad game design? You're a dumb warrior with an axe and nothing else, whereas a mage has hundreds of spells he can use.
>>
>>383611210
Yeah, exactly. One class has zero options, while the other has all the options.
>>
>>383610768
Rolling out patches that nerf classes or abilities in a single player game has to be the single most stupid thing possible in a patch
>>
>>383611210
if something is playable it needs to be fun to play
what you're saying is that you're so much of a complete and utter asshole you can't have fun unless you know other people aren't having fun
>>
>>383611391
Play decent games instead of shitty tabletop conversions.
>>
>>383611401
eh it depends, if a class has a skill that's bugged and instantly kills all enemies I'd want it patched
otherwise any victory with that class just feels hollow given your victory is guaranteed
>>
>>383611513
I'd call that a bug fix not a nerf
It gets stupid when you start nerfing classes because they don't do as much damage as other ones
>>
>>383610942
(prepared) Mages being more powerful (after they hit a certain level of experience) is canon with the lore. However, that doesn't mean that mages can't still be taken down, in fact, fantasy novels are filled with groups of adventurers taking down powerful mages - however, they often need to rely on trickery, and I don't see that as a bad thing.
What I absolutely don't like is the DBZ-ification of fighters in games, where fighters gain quasi-spell like abilities since it makes the game incredibly same-ish, since everyone ends up doing similar things. The mages shoot fireballs, the fighters shoot shockwaves out of their swords, etc.
I am absolutely in favour of a game having interesting melee combat, but it needs to make use of the options that melee combat offers (e.g. different weapon types requiring different positioning and offering different options to the player, etc.), but giving quasi magic powers to the fighters does not achieve anything and just looks stupid.
Not to mention that games that give the player a party on his hand are in most cases tactically more interesting so no matter what class your main character is you'll likely get to play a variety of characters anyway.
>>
File: 1496495437755.jpg (36KB, 770x487px) Image search: [Google]
1496495437755.jpg
36KB, 770x487px
>>383611417

1: Nobody is forcing you to play a dumb warrior
2: Different people have different ideas of what "fun" constitutes

If you want everything to be perfectly balanced you might as well play Pong. Imbalance adds unknown variables. Asymmetric maps add unique gameplay experiences. Things are naturally better when they're not mirror images of each other.
>>
>>383611672
>where fighters gain quasi-spell like abilities since it makes the game incredibly same-ish, since everyone ends up doing similar things
Or on the other side of this, mages basically becoming glorified archers using fireballs instead of arrows
Let's face it, it's impossible to make mages and warriors equally fun for everyone while also having them do equal amounts of damage
>>
>>383586991
>>383587334

Witchers (1 is fucking awful, 2 is very mediocre, 3 only survived because of massive amounts of hype)

This War of Mine (Shitty game, and the stand alone was even more retarded)

Metro series (HAAAAAAAAAA. Metro fucking BOMBED. Both games did. There's a reason everyone was surprised when a new one was announced, because no one asked for it.)

World of Tanks (Now you're just trolling, kid.)

Pathologic (Always been a shit meme game. Bombed fucking hard)

Age of Pirates (Shitty serious that no one knows about)

Pirates of the Caribbean (Literally only gets searched because of the movies)

Death to Spies (Again, have to be trolling. This series is complete fucking dog shit outside of "MUH HIDDEN GEMZ" threads)
>>
>>383611672
I'm in favor of making mages less powerful. Offering utility rather than turning them into time stopping gods instagibing whole armies. You don't have to turn your warriors into Gokus when your wizards aren't Gokus to begin with.
>>
File: 1499281454879.jpg (36KB, 400x396px) Image search: [Google]
1499281454879.jpg
36KB, 400x396px
>>383611960
>mages == wizards
This is why /v/ is not allowed to discuss tabletop games.
>>
>>383611939
So much effort for one shitpost.
>>
>>383612165
Shut the fuck up
>>
>>383612270
It's mostly true.
>>
>>383611672
problem is that a VAST majority of tabletop conversion melee gameplay comes down to
right click
wait until enemy dies

I was just mentioning this is terrible gameplay design, not just because fighters are weaker but also because they're not fun to play. While it isn't a perfect solution, I honestly prefer the DBZ abilities over having to watch your character (fail to) hit things
>>
>>383611889
>equally fun

That's only because retards like this >>383611672 exist.
>>
>>383611739
not saying warriors need to be as powerful as wizards, just as fun to play

besides I could think of a good number of reasons why a warrior would actually be the more powerful character than a wizard
>>
>>383612325
If you don't like how melee plays, why not just choose a different class? The fuck kind of logic is "I don't like thing, CHANGE IT! NO I DON'T WANT TO TRY OTHER THING!"
>>
the only problem I had with this game is oculus, it feels so incomplete, for example when you tell abram about that guy in depot A he doesnt do anything, is it a bug or cut content?
>>
>>383612535
>guy who spends years swinging an axe
vs
>guy who spends years mastering the elements
Yeah, I can totally see how a warrior is more powerful than a mage. The only reason someone would be a warrior is they're too stupid to be a mage. Fuck off.
>>
>>383612564
if you offer something as an option, it is your responsibility to make it a viable option

imagine if a game was made where you find out, halfway through the game, that the final boss is immune to all forms of magic
I somehow doubt you'd be happy with a "just reroll as a warrior dude"
>>
>>383612293
Next you're going to tell me warlocks are the same as mages.
>>
>>383612564
You can choose between gameplay and no gameplay. Maybe your whole design is shitty if you've got multiple ways to play but only one offers you something above cookie clicker?
>>
>>383611960
An unprepared mage is effortlessly killed by a high level warrior. I see absolutely no issue with mages being in theory time stopping gods if they are given the time to prepare and cast their spells. I do agree that mages need to be less of a human artillery though. I'd like to see spells requiring more preparation, ritual, etc. making mages less versatile and instantly able to deal damage and requiring the protection of summoned creatures, melee party members, etc.
>>
>>383612730
>3.5 babby upset that he can no longer shit on martial classes

Caster supremacy is over.
>>
File: 1487886068871.png (31KB, 170x158px) Image search: [Google]
1487886068871.png
31KB, 170x158px
>>383611960
>>383612165
>>383612270
>>383612293
>>383612309
>>383612325
>>383612397
>>383612535
>>383612564
>>383612730
>>383612795
>>383612809
>>383612825
>>383612847
>>383612849

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Stop derailing a rare Underrail thread with your autism fuck.
>>
>>383612730
knowledge does not imply control
take the best aeronautical engineer in the world, a man who's knowledge of aviation is superior to any other living person
then toss him out of an airplane

he'll know exactly how long it'll take for him to hit the ground
he'll know all the hundreds of ways he could in theory get a human to fly, if he had time and materials
he'll know all the forces involved

and yet, he's still exactly as dead as a particularly dim monkey tossed out of the same plane
>>
>>383612809
Anon, your autism doesn't really matter. It's nice that you play p&p games and know all these class differences, but most videogames have the trinity of STRfag, DEXfag, INTfag, and are pretty inconsistent about what they call the INTfag
You can't throw a shitfit every time someone talking about videogames uses mage and wizard interchangably
>>
>>383613006
That's a cute analogy you crafted there, but that anon said years "mastering" the elements, not "studying" them
>>
File: 1472907310751.jpg (127KB, 789x792px) Image search: [Google]
1472907310751.jpg
127KB, 789x792px
>>383612795
>offer someone cheese, sausage, and crackers
>"I DON'T LIKE CHEESE!!"
>"well there's also sau-"
>"NO I DON'T LIKE CHEESE CHANGE IT!! I DON'T CARE I DON'T CARE CHANGE IT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"
>>
>>383613030

>No WISfag

You have some seriously shitty taste in games.
>>
File: hurr.jpg (30KB, 259x174px) Image search: [Google]
hurr.jpg
30KB, 259x174px
>>383613126
>Food analogy
>>
>>383613126
more like
>offer someone cheese, sausage and crackers
>also the cheese is laced with arsenic
>you can't complain about this because there's also sausage and crackers
>>
>>383613216
Cool story, most games roll WIS into the mage class by having it give more MP and regen
I don't give a fuck how mad you are about this, feel free to impotently deny this is the state of videogames
>>
>>383613332
Nobody is forcing you to eat the cheese you dumb spic.
>>
>>383613030
>trying to shoehorn generic video game mechanics into D&D
No, YOU fuck off. This is the exact reason why /tg/ blacklists /v/ posters.
>>
>>383613503
>D&D
>/tg/
You're trying too hard.
>>
>>383613118
and mastery of the elements does not mean it is possible for a human master of the elements to be more dangerous than a master archer

say even at it's most powerful summoning the help of the elements requires rituals that take minutes to hours to complete
meanwhile the master archer can put 3 arrows through each separate eyesocket in the time it takes him to complete even half a ritual
>>
>>383613345
>because video games do that the rules and mechanics of Dungeons and Dragons suddenly change
How dumb can one anon be
>>
>>383585642
expac when?!
>>
Is this the thread where we post the funniest examples of mages being overpowered?
>Divine Divinity tutorial dungeon, big skeletons will wreck your shit in two hits if you're a fighter and there's dozens of them
>if you're a mage you can just spam the very first meteor spell you get with a 0.1s cooldown until the entire screen is dead

>Divinity 2
>by about the time you reach the second area, fucking magic missile has become incredibly powerful and is capable of annihilating every enemy that isn't a straight-up boss

>Dragon Age: Origins
>Arcane Warrior is better at tanking than a warrior while still being able to throw out OP mage spells
>>
>>383613503
we're talking about VIDEOGAMES here, not tabletop games
also D&D is a terrible tabletop
>>
File: NANI.png (1MB, 2708x1664px) Image search: [Google]
NANI.png
1MB, 2708x1664px
>>383607628
>>
>>383613645
Soon, jet-ski confirmed.
>>
>>383613642
>>383613503
We are neither on /tg/ nor talking about D&D
The guy who used mage and wizard interchangably was talking about balancing magic classes in video games, nothing more, nothing less
>>
File: NANI.png (1MB, 1352x760px) Image search: [Google]
NANI.png
1MB, 1352x760px
>>383613697
fucking paint
>>
File: aurora-6788456.jpg (438KB, 1575x1003px) Image search: [Google]
aurora-6788456.jpg
438KB, 1575x1003px
>>383586697
I know this feel.

But I'm not an accountant I am a cleric of the Kabbala and Gematria.
>>
>>383613748
He was talking about D&D you fucking autist, read the thread before jumping into an argument. Holy shit.
>>
>>383613836
>What I absolutely don't like is the DBZ-ification of fighters in games
>I'm in favor of making mages less powerful. Offering utility rather than turning them into time stopping gods instagibing whole armies. You don't have to turn your warriors into Gokus when your wizards aren't Gokus to begin with.
>>
>>383607628
I always found it hilarious just how many powerful characters can trace their origins to old Biocorp if you dig deep enough
>>
>>383613748
The whole conversation began because we were discussing D&D video games. Try to keep up.
>>
>>383613697
>>383613775
What point are you trying to make here?
>>
>>383604546
Yes. Stealth is good to have, but not strictly necessary.
>>
>>383585642
I've tried getting into the game twice, but it's a little tough to keep engaged. Any fun builds you'd recommend?
>>
>>383613975
while it can get quite expensive in required batteries, a high enough level stealth projector with appropriate stealth gear can get you through most of the quests
it's simply not feasible to use for combat encounters but you aren't playing a stealth character anyways
>>
>>383613939
>oh man I don't like how in D&D fighters get less options
>yep but I like even less how in other videogames the fighters just get spell-like abilities
>you know, they wouldn't need those if magewizards just got nerfed a bit
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE MAGE AND WIZARD ARE DIFFERENT IN D&D WHICH WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT ANYMORE
>>
>>383613775
where is this?
>>
>>383614045
If you like mages, you should go for a psion, he's the best wizard
>>
>>383613898
Before that post too Anon. I know you're an ADHD spaz incapable of putting the bare minimum of research into what you're discussing but it really makes you look stupid.
>>
>>383614045
Full psi with 9CON
You literally become a boss.
>>
File: NANI.png (1MB, 1360x746px) Image search: [Google]
NANI.png
1MB, 1360x746px
post yfw this happen

*spoiler*
>>
>>383614272
see
>>383614075
>>
>>383614045
Think of a character you'd like to rp as. Upload his picture as your new chars custom portrait.

Ideas:
Kenshiro (hand 2 hand)
Hunter S. Thompson (guns + drugs)
Yuri from Red Alert (psi)
>>
>>383614338
The initial post was complaining about warriors being less powerful than mages in D&D. There, I spoonfed you, not fuck off to your nintenbro thread.
>>
>>383614332
Blew my god damn mind. I had already visited that location and assumed it was another dead end.
>>
>>383614332
WHERE IS THIS
>>
>>383614287
>9 con

Doing it wrong. Stealth is far more important for psi users.
>>
>>383614429
And the OP was talking about Underrail, does that mean the discussion was about Underrail all along?
>REEEEEEEE YOU SPECIFICALLY MENTIONING THAT IT SHOULD BE DIFFERENT IN VIDEOGAMES HAVING NOTHING TO DO WITH D&D DOESN'T MEAN WE'RE TALKING ABOUT VIDEOGAMES HAVING NOTHING TO DO WITH D&D
>>
File: 1497000516649.png (231KB, 470x612px) Image search: [Google]
1497000516649.png
231KB, 470x612px
>>383614332
At that point i understood that this setting is way more interesting than i thought
>>
>>383614429
no you're wrong
the initial post didn't complain they were less powerful, it was that they were less fun and mechanically interesting
>>
>>383614332

On my first playhtrough I fucked up the quest by ratting out abram, I didn't know how much I have missed out on until the second run.
>>
>>383614539
Nope: >>383595521
>>
>>383614539
high con psi users are virtually immortal
and last stand is fantastic for tranquility
>>
>>383614637
Tranquility is much better than Psychosis. Ergo, not taking any damage is preferable to trying to tank with gimped HP.

>>383614664
Last Stand is fucking retarded and a complete waste of a feat, but at least you didn't suggest Thick Skull.
>>
>>383613783
this looks like some grade A(utism) vidya, is all that shit meaningful or it's like dorf fort where 99% of the stuff is either flavor text or has no gameplay effect?
>>
>>383615064
Huh, I thought it was possible to heal damage with the billions of healing syringes being thrown at you, but apparently I was wrong and it is impossible to ever heal up
>>
>>383615064
being able to, at the press of a button, regain your tranquility boost is more than worth the talent point
just make sure you end the fight in 3 turns (which as a psi-user, you friggin should)
>>
>>383613783
What pisses me off about Aurora is that there's no good sense of what everything is doing unless you look every single part up
Good luck designing a functional ship without having to look up what the different values for each single fucking component are there for
>>
>>383615242
Thanks for confirming you've never played the game.

>>383615245
A proper psi character should never be hit at all.
>>
>>383615158
There are a few ship modules that don't do anything yet but all of the numbers mean something significant. If your reload rate and your fire rate aren't synchronous for example you end up with a shitty magazine.
>>
>>383615334
there's always a chance one of your enemies gets in a good shot if he's hiding around a corner
>>
>>383615334
>Thanks for confirming you've never played the game.
u wot
>>
>>383615320
>Good luck designing a functional ship without having to look up what the different values for each single fucking component are there for
But that's what you're supposed to do.
>>
>>383602204
Wait a second, you thought Intelligence would increase the amount of skill points you get? I know that's how it was in Fallout, but haven't you read the stat descriptions? It tells you exactly what each stat governs and modifies. Nothing can change your sp gain, but your stats can make them worth more when spending on skills they govern.
>>
>>383615418
That's when you pop a hypo, stun everyone, and go back to stealth. Or you could properly scout the area beforehand.
>>
>>383615064
>Tranquility is much better than Psychosis.
Yep. No idea what that has to do with anything though.
>>
>>383585642
he actually played some video games in his lifetime
>>
>>383615334
>Thanks for confirming you've never played the game.
Sure you're in the right thread, anon?
>>
>>383615568
Not sure why you're pretending that psi is completely functionally useless when you lose your tranquility buff
Instead of going back to stealth, you can just stand there and quickly nuke the rest of the enemies who got a hit on you
>>
>>383615617
High CON means one thing, you expect to take damage.

A Tranquility build shouldn't take damage.

>>383615769
Even without Tranquility psi is much better than everything else.
>>
>>383615568
or you know, there's people that don't feel like playing a stealth character all the time and occasionally want to engage boss mode where they can walk into a group of enemies
high con helps with this, so does last stand for when your health hypos are on cd

it's a very powerful build, maybe not as powerful as stealth psi but still more than capable of finishing the game so why shouldn't someone be allowed to play it?
>>
All this talk of psi builds makes me want to roll one as my first playthrough. What's a good build for one?
>>
>>383614664
>tranq with Last Stand

Hey, not a bad idea. I instinctively hate the thought of making a high CON psi and then not picking psychosis, but this sounds fun. Only problem is that you get hit with burning or poison or something you are fucked when the ability ends You can take an antidote for poison and try to Cryo-Orb yourself to remove burning, but then that'd come with the threat of bleeding which you can't remove.
>>
>>383615869
>want to engage boss mode where they can walk into a group of enemies

Then they shouldn't go for a build that removes 25% of their total HP. Trying to tank with a psi build is retarded. It's like wanting to play as a sniper with 3 PER.
>>
>>383615917
depends on what type you enjoy most
you've got stealth builds, beefwall builds, psychic monks and even even a few hybrid psi-guns builds
>>
>>383615917
Do you want to play Tranquility or Psychosis?
>>
>>383585642
It really wasn't all that great anon.
>>
>>383616010
I played a high con psi character
I got through the entire game without a single reload

but I guess I was having badwrong fun
>>
>>383615956
generally speaking not every enemy can inflict those status's so you can prioritize the enemies that do, have backups for when things go wrong etc.
>>
>>383615334
>>383615858
>>383616010
Always Unique Totally Interesting Sometimes Mysterious
>>
>>383616036
>>383616045
What would be best for a psi-tank?
>>
some tip how to kill the acid gang?
>>
>>383616110
Yeah, playing on easy where your health is doubled would do that.
>>
File: divinity_original_sin_1920.0.jpg (1MB, 1920x1034px) Image search: [Google]
divinity_original_sin_1920.0.jpg
1MB, 1920x1034px
How did a couple dozen Belgium waffles make a better tactical RPG than final fantasy tactics, tactics ogre, and Xcom combined?
>>
>>383616378
Let's not overstate things here, anon.
They did have a lot of experience making amazing cRPGs though
>>
>>383616252
Shoot them until they die.
>>
>>383616378
Loved Div:OS, but the setting is kind of overused.
Real tired of this low tech fanstasy stuff.
>>
>>383616316
played on hard matey, which is why last stand was useful given the increased cooldown on health items
>>
>>383615064
>trying to tank with gimped HP
9CON still nests you such an immense shitton of HP you will be able to tank fairly well.
Ability to give yourself Tranquillity at any point of a fight is absolutely fantastic too.
>>
>>383616252
why kill them? what are repercussions of just letting them go?
>>
>>383616204
Yeas, but there are other problems. You can't know in advance if someone carries a molotov or not, then there are those ice fogs and toxic gas, if you stand in one you can either resist all of the damage, or you die. Risking everything on 1 HP is a pretty big risk.

But again, I can see it being fun. You'll be chugging hypos like crazy for the entire game though. And god help you if someone arrives late to the party and catches you with 1 HP. I assume your initiative is less than stellar.
>>
>>383616252
the solution to every problem in underrail is the same: toss a molotov in their general direction
>>
Playing a sniper was fun and all, but it really sucked in areas with like 30 enemies. I couldn't snipe enough of them fast enough.
>>
>>383616762
just invest in electronics for high quality energy shields and course don't use tranquility if doing so would kill you, but that's not a big deal if you think ahead
>>
>>383616713
Last Stand has a 10 turn cool down.
>>
>>383616939
If you activate Last Stand you expect encounter to end in 2 turns.
Your point?
>>
>>383616757
well, a bunch of bastards killed your buddies in a horrific fashion and you let their killers go
also actual spoilerOne of them survived, though horribly mutilated and is beyond pissed if you didn't kill them
>>
>>383616981
>use Last Stand to regain the Tranquility bonus
>get a paper cut and lose it again

Or you could have low/normal CON and get the same effect from a hypo with less cool down.
>>
>>383617018
oh fuck.
>>
>>383616762
it is pretty fun, hordes of enemies approach you, and you just laugh as you blow them up with your mind
and just when it looks like they got the victory you activate last stand for your overdrive mode

like another anon said: you feel like a god damn boss battle
>>
>>383585642
I would have liked this game more if it had ANY form of map and the ability to at least jog to places when you want to
>>
>>383617169
yeh, but that low con character would have been killed by the sniper bullet in one shot while the high con lives to last stand

and like everyone already said: you use last stand when you're sure you'll have a relative safe moment to heal up after it ends, either time it right when your health hypo comes off cooldown or when you're sure the battle will have ended

health hypos have a rather large cooldown in hard mode after all
>>
>>383617169
You gain immortality for 2 turns and Tranquility bonus so you can go absolutely apeshit on enemies with no regards to anyting.
Combined with increased healing item cooldowns on hard it's absolutely fantastic, by far one of the best feats in any harder encounter.
>>
File: underrail 2016-09-04 00-27-07-05.jpg (761KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
underrail 2016-09-04 00-27-07-05.jpg
761KB, 1920x1080px
>when you reach crawler territory as psi user
>>
File: Map-lu.png (202KB, 2250x2545px) Image search: [Google]
Map-lu.png
202KB, 2250x2545px
>>383617318
There are plenty of maps out there for brainlets though.
>>
>>383617318
There are trains and boats to fast travel, and tabi boots increase walking speed, so there's that.
>>
>>383617410
If you don't know how to prioritize targets you deserve to die.

>>383617420
>you can go absolutely apeshit on enemies

You can do that already with psi.

Stealth is obviously the superior playstyle, and combining it with psi makes it even better. It's fine if you don't want to use stealth, but don't try to advertise high CON psi as being better (or even a good tank when you can't wear metal armor).
>>
do either dodge or evasion have any use for stealth characters?
>>
>>383617758
>It's fine if you don't want to use stealth, but don't try to advertise high CON psi as being better
Not a single person has done this despite your autistic fueled rants. We try to keep telling you it's a personal preference thing but you're too occupied with your fidget spinner.
>>
>>383617534
I remember trying to find out if I had cleared everything in that very first cave area where you activate the outposts, cause I didn't remember whether there were any sidepaths I hadn't taken yet
Pulling up the 3D map was a giant mistake because it includes every connection and I didn't have the rocks cleared yet, so it was the most confusing thing I ever looked at
>>
>>383617758
I never said it was better, I simply said it's a fun build that's entirely possible to finish the game with

newsflash: this isn't a competitive game, it's singleplayer and as long as nobody is advertising a literal meme build you can't finish the game with there's nothing wrong

I played high con psi, I finished the game on hard without reloads, I had fun doing so and I'm telling other people it is possible for them to play like this as well
>>
>>383617795
Of course. A stealth character can't wear heavier armor without suffering a penalty to their stealth, and not even the best energy shield can stop everything, so dodge and evasion can make a difference. It helps that you already have the high agility, and there are many ways to further increase these skills, and both have one really useful feat.
>>
>>383617534
where the fuck is the junkyard
>>
>>383617936
>duh 9 con psi is literal god mode!!!!!!

Sure man.

>>383618102
>I finished the game on hard without reloads

Post proof.
>>
>>383617758
>You can do that already with psi.
Show me a way non-last stand psi can whistand any attacks thrown at him while maintaining tranquility bonus.
>>
I'm bad at this game. I don't know how anyone just rolls through it on hard when I struggle even on normal with what I assume is a decent build.
>>
>>383613783
fuck off filthy kike
>>
>>383616878
That's why you go stealth and plant 500 traps in the path the horde will approach.
>>
>>383618194
>duh 9 con psi is literal god mode!!!!!!
Again, no one said this you silly autismo. One poster kept referring to feeling like a video game boss because of the tanking/instant healing capabilities of Last Stand and that was it. Once you work on your social skills a little more you'll understand.
>>
>>383618194
Chill, dammit. They are right, that is a very viable build. High CON psychosis psi is also incredibly strong, but apparently tranquility works well too. It's good to see that there are many ways to play your wizard.
>>
>>383618291
Dodge and Evasion along with a good shield emitter.
>>
>>383618194
nobody said god mode you dipshit, you still have to pay attention to what you're doing like with every single thing in this game
what people said is that you're hard to kill and as a result you feel like a different sort of character
you can't walk into a group of 20 enemies without an energy shield and walk out without preparation but if a couple of punks ambush you on the street you can ignore the gunshot wound, turn around and blow up their heads with your mind
>>
>>383618448
Nowhere nearly as good as Last Stand and requires far more skill point investment.
>>
>>383618194
Do you have autism?
>>
>>383618436
Psychosis is inferior to Tranquility in every single way. In fact, anyone that advocates using Psychosis is a retard that only looks at pure damage numbers.

>>383618548
Attribute points are more important than skill points, and there's already enough skill points provided you don't waste shit on lockpicking/hacking or social skills.
>>
>>383618741
>waste
>lockpicking/hacking

alright, fun's over, you had a good run pretending you were decent at this game, but the gig's up
>>
>>383618741
>Attribute points are more important than skill points
With this statement alone you've invalidated anything you were trying to say.
Congratulations on being shit at the game.
>>
>>383618307
You just have to learn to use every resource you can. Seriously, no need to be economic with your adrenalines and caltrops.

For example if you have Opportunist, throwing a bunch of caltrops is enough to get you the 15% bonus. Keep an eye on possible feat and weapon combos like this, there are many of them.
>>
>>383585642
Underrail is boring though.
>>
>>383618832
Everyone that has a good grasp on character building dumps those skills. If you don't care about lore, or are on a second run, you don't need them at all.

>>383618983
I've been saying that 9 CON for a psi user is a waste. Those 6 points are better off somewhere else. My argument has been more consistent, and I guarantee I'm better at this game, games in general, and life than you could even dream about.
>>
>>383586996
kickstarter bypasses the publisher model which is

>look at what exists
>look at what's popular among those things
>assume that is a formula for success
>attempt to recreate that thing

its problem is it produces a lot of samey shit.

the kickstarter model removes the need to look at what exists. its model is more like this:

>come up with a pitch that will attract a lot of attention
>get people to comit
>attempt to create something that matches your attention grabbing pitch.

it's different, produces different results, and poses different challenges/problems. Part of its problem is it rewards over-promising.

I'm glad both methods exist.

there's also the classic indie dev method:

>believe something is cool
>try to make your version of that thing in your spare time with no real budget
>try to get that thing noticed

this has the potential to produce really interesting stuff. It can definitely also produce shit. The problem with it is that it takes a lot of time, abandoned projects are common, and the nature of process often means that the developer will only ever make one such game in his life.
>>
>>383619153
>I've been saying that 9 CON for a psi user is a waste
And you're still wrong. What now?
>>
File: 1434644700550.gif (848KB, 665x662px) Image search: [Google]
1434644700550.gif
848KB, 665x662px
>>383585642
>nearly 3 months without an update on the expansion
WHERE IS IT, STYGG? ARE YOU PULLING A CLEVE ON US?
>>
>>383619341
Nope. It's a waste because you don't need it. If you play properly, you won't be getting hit at all.
>>
>>383619153
>and I guarantee I'm better at this game, games in general, and life than you could even dream about.
also you graduated top of your navy seals class and are an expert in gorilla warfare
>>
>>383618448
dodge and evasion are capped at 60%
last stand is a total invincibility
try again
>>
>>383619425
yeah we all know how good you are at save scumming
>>
>>383619484
Uncanny Dodge makes you invincible against melee attacks, and any enemies that have close to 100% hit rate you can rush down easy. In practice enemies will only have about 10-15% chance to hit you.

Not to mention that more points in AGI instead of CON will give you a higher initiative and MP, which ultimately allow for more and better tactical options. High CON is just standing in one place absorbing damage.
>>
>>383619873
and as long as your health total stays above 0, there's no difference between getting hit and avoiding a hit
It's not like you can actually run out of health kits
>>
>>383620013
Tranquility you dumb fuck.
>>
>>383619153
This is some next level shitposting.
>>
>>383616230
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxG64b5SH_o

This should give you a general idea.
>>
>>383620040
and as long as you live through the fights it doesn't really matter all that much if you have tranquility 100% of the time or only 50%, after all your opening move is the most important part of every fight and that's where you're guaranteed to have tranquility

we're just playing the game, it's not a competition you know
>>
>>383619873
>Uncanny Dodge
Needs skill investment and only protects after 2 melee attacks.
Last Stand protects against any numbers of any type of attacks while giving you Tranquility, not to mention that actual high HP pool is way better than any %-based dodge skills unless you're some filthy casual playing the game with a constant save scumming.
Of two of them, Last Stand is a far better choice with a way larger amount of applicable situations.
>>
>>383620218
>your opening move is the most important part of every fight

Thank you for admitting that stealth is superior to retarded 9 CON, as stealth is the one thing that guarantees you the first move along with the ability to position yourself optimally.

>>383620263
You can't even read the skill description. Nice.
>>
>>383620356
You can have enough stealth to have the first move without having to go into AGI
>>
>>383620356
if you've invested in a decent energy shield, even if you lose the initiative on a few enemies you'll still be at max health
and if things really go south instantly you can always bravely run away
>>
File: 1479645043345s.jpg (2KB, 125x92px) Image search: [Google]
1479645043345s.jpg
2KB, 125x92px
>>383619360
comparing based stygg to cleve
>>
>>383620356
>You can't even read the skill description
No, i'm just not dumb enough to think that wasting an enormous amount of skill points to achieve far worse results is even worth of consideration. Last Stand is a superior choice of two and far more skill point-efficent, plain and simple.
>>
>>383585642
>make something like a hybrid psionic/guns character, think it's allright
>talk to everyone at the station, take some basic psionics
>go out with the main quest
>get destroyed by some rats
what am i doing wrong?
>>
>>383620659
You are not paying attention to the advice given to you. Rats are shit scared of fire.
>>
>>383620523
If you're going to use stealth you might as well have 9 AGI instead of 9 CON. Going up to 9 CON for a joke feat is a very bad decision.

>>383620538
Know what helps with running? AGI. Know what doesn't help with running? CON. You're almost agreeing with me at this point.

>>383620654
Last Stand is a joke feat, just like Doctor and Snooping. Go on the game's forums, post your build, and cry as everyone laughs at you.
>>
>>383620815
I don't have any fire, though
>>
>>383620931
those barrels you see lying around sometimes?
try shooting them
>>
>>383620843
You know, it's not my fault Last Stand is one of the best supporting psi feats, especially in comparison to any defensive alternative in the game. Go cry yourself into a corner.
>>
>always end up playing as stealth sniper in these games
>try to play as something else this time
>end up as stealth sniper anyway
I feel like the game forces you to do it since enemies have so much hp you have to pick a build that can one shot them or else you end up eating a bowl of grenades.

>>383617318
I wish you could zoom in on abram's map in the oculus base
>>
>>383620843
can't believe this guy is still mad that people don't play the game exactly like him
>>
>>383621013
The best players and the ones that come up with good, creative builds and reach out to new players all disagree with you.
>>
>>383620931
You can buy some grenades from Lucas, molotovs from Quinton, and flares from I forget whom. Exploding barrels work too. And very soon you'll be able to learn your first fire ability too, so just hang in there until then.

Have you learned Telekinetic Punch yet? That one also stuns. And Cryokinesis slows them down, so it's easier to force them to use up their APs to reach you.
>>
>>383621190
>The best players and the ones that come up with good, creative builds
Unfortunately you, a person advocating to dump a shitload of skill points into irrelevant skills, is not one of them.
>all disagree with you
Nerd Commando's video about similar build has 17k views and generally considered to be one of the best psi setups in the game.
Number of people giving a single fuck about your special snowflake build: 0 (zero).
>>
>>383585642
Legit question, how is this game?
>>
>>383621190
yeh I bet people coming up with creative builds would tell you not to play a certain entirely viable archetype because another archetype is better instead of trying to help you play the game how you want to play it
>>
>>383603026
>10 different metroidvanias
which ones
>>
>>383585642
The only build in that game I had fun with was Psycokenesis DEX Monk. You start off weak as shit, but by endgame your attacks cost fucking 5 AP each (meaning you can hit 10 times a round) and you do almost as much as a sledge build with a single hit. Expose Weakness takes care of high Mechanical resistance enemies.
>>
>>383621438
>Nerd Commando

This is the same dumbass that recommends grabbing Thick Skull when Locus of Control exists. Even if his videos weren't horrifically out of date, this alone shows that he has no idea what the fuck he's doing.
>>
>>383621438
Not him, but WILDAN made a build similar to his, a 10 AGI 10 WILL dodge/evasion tranquility psi with both Uncanny Dodge and Evasive Maneuvers but he also suggested going for high CON.

This build archetype is far from rare, and very enjoyable for people who like the freedom of movement and stealth. But I don't know what to make of anon sperging out like this. He needs to cool his head down.
>>
>>383621447
Do you like good gameplay, build variety that legitimately play different, exploration and combat?
>>
>>383621753
thick skull is useful early game when you don't have locus of control yet
>>
>>383621753
He recommends both.

>>383621849
WILDAN is the man, I used his expertise to help make my Thought Control Sniper.
>>
I'm not interested in Underrail.

Since no RPG is perfect, can someone give me a small list of things that are worthless? Like Charisma and Barter in Fallout 1 and New Vegas.

I like playing hacking and sneaky characters, is that viable?
>>
>>383621753
It doesn't matter who he is. He's well known, while nobody gives a shit about you and your special snowflake builds producing objectively worse results.
>>
>>383622040
It's also useful because it isn't limited to two turns with a long cooldown, and doesn't strip you from the opportunity to cast the best AoE crowd control spells.
>>
File: 1279850731648.gif (607KB, 300x222px) Image search: [Google]
1279850731648.gif
607KB, 300x222px
>>383622130
>not

now*
>>
>>383622130
barter is completely useless
the 2 conversation skills are mostly useless and only take them if you got spare points
stealth and hacking is HIGHLY viable
>>
File: !!!!!.jpg (258KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
!!!!!.jpg
258KB, 1280x960px
>>383585865
>>
>>383622032
Yes. Who doesn't?
>>
>>383622130
>I like playing hacking and sneaky characters, is that viable?

Yes, but you should still focus on some combat skill as well. You can max at least 8 skills with any build, so don't worry about not being able to do all three. Sometimes you'll have to fight, other times you'll be able to sneak, and yet other times you can do things like
>>383595039
>>383595179

Just don't expect to be able to do all of these every time.
>>
>>383622130
Everything is viable because of the Oddity exp system, even non-combat builds.

No skills are useless, but Persuasion, Intimidation and Mercantile are mediocre.
>>
File: Derailed.webm (664KB, 990x810px) Image search: [Google]
Derailed.webm
664KB, 990x810px
Totally fucking derailed
>>
was there supposed to be a followup to the jkk questline where the girl you work for at first disappears? there was no way to look into it or even tell her dad that it happened.

also was ezra one of the hollow earth scientists? I wish you could ask him more about biocorp.
>>
>>383622383
Well then, give it a go, because these are the things this game considered its priority.
>>
>>383622194
He's wrong. Not only are all his videos based on an earlier version of the game, some of his recommendations are baffling. He actually recommends fucking Doctor of all things.

Even you fucking dumbasses should recognize that Doctor is garbage.
>>
>>383622534
well, one of the things about underrail is that not all characters give away their lifestory

if Ezra is indeed an old Biocorp scientist he only survived this long because he kept his mouth absolutely shut so it wouldn't make sense for him to go telling you because you asked nicely

And no there's no follow up quest, you can sort of figure out what happened but there's no proof.
>>
>>383622537
Neat, thanks anon.
>>
>>383585642
>RECENT: Mixed

I am not so sure about your RPG anymore OP.
>>
>>383622794
check out the bad reviews, virtually all of them are claiming the game is to hard
it's a niche game, people who aren't part of that niche find the game, try it out and give it negative reviews
>>
What do you think about Copper dreams? I'm having a hard time shilling it
>>
>>383622794
This is exactly what I hate about the steam user reviews
Negative reviews are pretty much the perfect way to judge whether a game would be worth playing for you. But absolute fucking retards just look at the score and go "uuuuuh 81% positive? NO THANKS"
>>
>>383622534
>also was ezra one of the hollow earth scientists?

He wasn't. He was one of the highest ranking members in the entire Biocorp, one of the apexes.
>>
>>383621113
>>I feel like the game forces you to do it since enemies have so much hp you have to pick a build that can one shot them or else you end up eating a bowl of grenades.
Stealth sniper seems like the most OP way to go, but I always found going psi more fun because of all the wacky shit you can pull off, instead of using the same technique of stealth + one shotting everything
>>
>>383623169
stealth sniper is fantastically op right up until the moment you're dropped in an arena with carnifex
>>
>>383622048
Thought control sniper

Now that was a fun build to play...slow to start tho
>>
>>383622546
Doctor is far from garbage though. Finish a fight with barely any health left, hypos on cooldown, and your morphine running out. Only bandages can save you then, but they don't normally work if your health is under 40%.
>>
>>383623291
To be fair he shits on everyone.
>>
File: 1275306422320.jpg (35KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
1275306422320.jpg
35KB, 500x384px
Devs are slowly beginning to learn that turn based capitalizes on fun
>>
>>383623069
It will be either brilliant, or a failed experiment we can learn much from. No way to know which until they let us try the game though.
>>
>>383622534
Girl Disappearing?
fuck are you talking about man, are you derailed or something?
>>
>>383623339
Doctor is universally agreed to be bad. There is no debating this.
>>
File: 20170711172041_1.jpg (223KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
20170711172041_1.jpg
223KB, 1280x960px
>>383609858
how? I only did this much at level 22 with max points in guns and stealth.
>>
>>383587641
>i didn't like it after I had to actually think in combat

t. average millenial
>>
I always wondered why cRPG type games aren't more common among the autistic amateur gamedev underground. You can make one play decently with subpar assets and never need complex models anyway. Some number cruncher nerd could put the whole thing together with stock assets and babby's first modeling attempts. Instead people go for stuff like FPS games where shitty assets are a lot more noticable and you require many animations to make it not play like ass.
>>
>>383623094
he knew about the psimorphs which was one of the experiments the hollow earth scientists were doing

>>383623291
I just kept reloading until I won initiative and shit on him like usual
>>
>>383623505
Did you kill one of those critters just to see a big damage number you monster?
>>
>>383611939

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9MpsAftCDk
>>
>>383623494
I just told you a very plausible situation where it can be useful. Doctor removes the need to be extra careful with morphine. But alright.
>>
>>383623650
They require a shitload of good writing and thinking about decisions, maybe because of that?
>>
>>383623795
If you had to heal while morphine was in effect you effectively lost the encounter and should accept the impending death instead of taking one of the worst feats in the game.
>>
>>383623683
>he knew about the psimorphs which was one of the experiments the hollow earth scientists were doing

Yes, because he visited Hollow Earth and had the psimorph lab show him what they were working on. He didn't work on it himself. It was just a case of a boss checking on his employees.
>>
>>383621447
Much better than I expected. I expected a derivative Fallout clone. I found a game that is confident to carve it's own path and do a lot of things better than it's predecessors and modern equivalents.
>>
I haven't gotten too far yet (haven't played in a while but I think I got to the part where I have to go to junkyard's embassy or whatever)
when does that neural overload spell become better? some psi guide image said it's the best damge dealer but firestream and that icicle throwing spell far outdamage it
>>
File: 1471266709813.jpg (17KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1471266709813.jpg
17KB, 300x300px
>>383623650
Because the base required to make the game good is a quality combat system. This requires effort and the undertanding of the tabletop gaming mechanics cRPGs are based on.
Indie hipsters don't actually play good systems, don't understand math, don't understand what makes a system good and generally don't think in general because obviously emotional intelligence is more important than silly number crunching, that's for autists.
>>
>>383622498
the absolute madman
>>
>>383623962
>If you had to heal while morphine was in effect
Have you considered healing and THEN shooting the morphine? Don't be this fucking dense.
>>
>>383588243
What is the story on this image? Did the guy take 10k from kickstarter and use it on his hair?

What is the name?
>>
>>383624183
That is exactly what he did.
>>
>>383624140
Same thing applies if you take more than 50% of your total health while under the effects of morphine. Play better next time instead of wasting a feat on something easily preventable.
>>
>>383623826
To be clear, I didn't ask why we don't see more *good* cRPG style games, just why they aren't more popular as an attempt by amateurs. I see people involving themselves in massive projects and putting in months or years despite knowing they can't animate or make models, yet go on making some FPS or first person RPG.

Plus, if you scale it down, having a small game that is merely cRPG combat in a specific map seems fairly attainable. Something like making a single Fallout Tactics type level.
>>
Stealth snipers are boring. Real men play monks. It's Hard mode viable on Oddity, you need a few levels to get going.
>>
>huehue X made some money already, so why would X shill at this point their product
>>
>>383624240
Name of the dude/project?
>>
>>383624438
It's in the image and the filename. If you can't find it from there I don't know how to help you become literate.
>>
>>383624687
Yeah, found it. But there doesn't seem to be much about it other than an youtube video that just plays that same image and 4chan shitposting.

I was hoping for some outrage posts or articles somewhere. Guess not.
>>
>>383622534
>was there supposed to be a followup to the jkk questline where the girl you work for at first disappears? there was no way to look into it or even tell her dad that it happened.

If you press Ola about Vivian he tells you they whacked her. She's dead. It's a pretty cool quest. First they set up this character as a potential quirky waifu then they abruptly kill her off. Such is life in the Oligarchy.

It took me off guard. I tried starting a white knight rampage in JKK headquarter because of it but that gets you nowhere and also breaks the main questline.
>>
>>383624820
Why did they kill her? It really seems out of nowhere. What reason did they give?
>>
>>383625126
She was a Coretech spy. Ola warns you not to trust her before the last mission.
>>
>>383625126
That she was a spy working for one of the other factions. Which is definitely not impossible, since both factions admit to having spies during their own questlines.

But it also could be Ola just hated her guts.
>>
So, 9 AGI or 9 CON for a pure psi build?
>>
>>383625305
That's a strange combination. You are not going to use heavy armor?
>>
I'm playing a heavy armor assault rifle build right now for my first playthrough, but I also want to try a sniper build.

What are some important skills to go for beyond the obvious stuff like guns and stealth?
What weapon should I use when enemies get close, SMGs or do I go for a melee weapon?
>>
File: Capture.png (4KB, 192x211px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
4KB, 192x211px
>>383625305
Use this.
>>
>>383625442
Disregard that, I suck cocks. Reading carefully is hard.

>>383625305
Both are good. Don't worry about functionality, because they both are perfectly functional. Go with the one you'd like to pay more.
>>
>>383625532
Traps are important. Crafting is important for any build.

Definitely go with SMGs or pistols over a melee weapon. Just remember you need 5 strength for sniper rifles.
>>
>>383624091
it also requires a good understanding of the differences between tabletop and crpg's
truth is: there's not even a single tabletop game with mechanics adequate for use in videogames and trying to emulate them ends up in automatic failure
>>
>>383625828
>there's not even a single tabletop game with mechanics adequate for use in videogames

They're called war games son.
>>
>>383624009
is that stated in the game though?
>>
>>383626170
Yes.
>>
>>383595039
>>383595179
>wasting the xp
>>
>>383626438
He is not wasting anything, he plays on oddity.
>>
>>383625703
>Just remember you need 5 strength for sniper rifles
Does this apply for all sniper rifles or are there any that require more?
>>
>>383625532
I did stealth + sniper + smg + grenades in my playthrough. with the right setup you can shoot your sniper rifle twice in one turn, or burst with your smg twice and then a third time for free if you killed something.
>>
>>383626394
where? I read all of the emails in the hollow earth lab and it didn't mention anyone coming to visit.
>>
>>383626008
What, like War in the East?
>>
>>383626571
There's a single unique sniper rifle that requires 6, but you're better of sticking to a crafted pair instead.
>>
>>383626883
I was thinking more along the lines of Battletech or Warhammer but that works too.
>>
>>383626792
>J. Dyson: The apex technocrats have been paying us frequent visits during these few days. Parkinson said Kirill came to him the other day, Anton before that.
>>
>>383627103
the battletech tabletop game rules are garbage and no mechwarrior game has benefitted from trying to follow them.
>>
>>383625305
CON psi requires far less skill and perk investment, leaving much more space for additional skills and also giving you sheer survivability in any situation. Go with something like 9CON/4DEX/10WILL/8INT. This build is extremely good for hard difficulty with its increased cooldowns for healing items.

AGI psi is a weird-ass combination that forces you to invest in too many skills to be remotely useful unless you want to ditch lockpicking and hacking (which only moron will ever do) or crafting skills (even worse), plus requires at least two feats to get an actual bang for your buck.
>>
>>383627526
>unless you want to ditch lockpicking and hacking (which only moron will ever do)

Why do all the best builds ditch those skills then?

Unless you go full Al Fabet tier and feel the need to "get all da loot" lockpicking/hacking is useless from a gameplay perspective.
>>
>>383628215
builds that skip them are also useless from a gameplay perspective given you can easily finish the game with builds that incorporate them
>>
how good is a pistol build using sprint+blitz? I want to use the revolver you can steal from the depot guy, but I'm worried damage will be too low even with explosive ammo.
>>
>>383628378
Do you actually have an argument in favor of those skills or are you fine just shitposting?
>>
>>383585642
so many implications
>>
>>383628598
I seem to remember a ton of oddities being in locked containers
>>
>>383628431
Maybe wait until pistols get buffed in the next patch.

>>383628713
1. You can play on classic.
2. You can still reach max level on oddity with those skills dumped.
>>
>>383628598
you're locking yourself out of additional content when the goal of a build should be to maximize the number of content you can access
>>
>>383628598
You mean beyond opening up new routes or bypassing (direct) combat?

Seriously man, you are the weirdest minmaxer I have ever seen in these threads. I can't even tell what the fuck you want to achieve, because apparently you scoff at high damage, don't care about defense, and hate infiltration skills. So what the fuck ever do you even like?
>>
How much points do I put into Con, dodge and evasion for a sniper build?
>>
>>383627526
Last time I played, I was going with some PSI+ASSRIFLE build that could do basically everything. Picked every lock. passed every speech check, had more than enough money and crafted quality gear. All hard fights were dealt with through premeditation + telekinesis followed by bulletspam.
The build was based on taking out whole groups on the first round, then mopping up in the second.
The way I got around the skill issue was by dropping thermodynamics early on because the rifles were actually a better source of damage.
>>
>>383628868
The goal of a build is to beat the game.

>>383628947
Underrail is a combat oriented game, but if you want to avoid it then go stealth. Most alternate routes require keys instead of hacking or lockpicking. All those skills give you is some extra loot.
>>
>>383585642
Wasnt the game made by roaches ?
>>
>>383629254
It was made by a Serbian team.
>>
>>383586996
>The whole point of kickstarter games was bypassing the banks and venture capitalists by directly conning idiots for money for something you never really have to finish or meet the QC standards on a project a publisher wouldn't normally give a green light.
>>
>>383629254
That's mount and blade.
This was made by a serb.
>>
File: swat2_0.jpg (365KB, 1360x741px) Image search: [Google]
swat2_0.jpg
365KB, 1360x741px
>>383585642
Is your game from 1998?
>>
>>383628215
>Why do all the best builds ditch those skills then?
Dunno, i'm not autistic enough to ditch freedom of exploration and sometimes even additional options to traverse the locations to make some cumbersome, shitty build work.
>>
>>383629153
And any build with even minimal thought put into it can beat the game. So what is your problem?
>>
>>383629581
tfw people don't make games from 1998 anymore.
Feels bad man.
>>
>>383629627
Dumping lockpicking or hacking isn't a bad idea.

>any build with even minimal thought put into it can beat the game

This is obviously not true.
>>
>>383629153
>Underrail is a combat oriented game
It's an exploration-oriented games, and thanks to oddity system exploration is extremely rewarding, locking yourself out of additional loot and possibly oddities is the most ass-backwards way to play this game.
>>
>>383585642
I finished Underrail and Fallout 1.5 Resurrection last year and I haven't enjoyed games like that since. I would use all my free time to play them both as much as possible. I played Dark Souls 1 for the first time and liked it but I was far from being as obsessive about it.

I hope they made another great Fallout TC or Underrail 2.
>>
>>383629581
man, I want a SWAT 2... II.

it was cool if a bit ~tactical~
>>
>>383629751
you really do not need a minmaxed build to finish the game to the point you're actively locking yourself out of so much additional content

and given that you actually suggested going classic xp makes it perfectly clear nobody should listen to you, this post isn't for you it's for all the new players

this guy is doing it wrong, you play like he says and there's a good chance you'll dislike the game
>>
>>383629802
Are you stupid or something? Several oddities can only be gained through combat. I mean fuck, there's a whole character dedicated to making fun of the "loot is life" mindset. Don't go full Al Fabet.

>>383629916
Dumping lockpicking/hacking has nothing to do with minmaxing. In fact, suggesting that dumping them is retarded is at odds with the whole "you don't need to minmax" argument.
>>
>>383630216
And you can have combat builds that can do everything a combat build is supposed to do while still taking hacking and lockpicking. Again, your idea of minmaxing is idiotic. You can have infiltration skills. You can have crafting. You can have speech skills. And all of these allow you to still be insanely effective at combat.
>>
>>383630436
You're the only one talking about minmaxing. If all skills are ultimately optional, why is it wrong to call out a retard that says dumping some skills is a stupid thing to do?
>>
>>383630216
>Several oddities can only be gained through combat.
Absolutely insignificant compared to the number you gain through exploration.
And i'm not even talking about the amount of top-tier crafting materials you can find in locked containers.
Losing on lockpicking and hacking is never a good thing as it completely butchers exploration in exploration-heavy game.
>>
>>383630808
Crafting is optional. You don't need it to beat the game.

Also you can access 99% of the world without a single point in those skills. I suggest you actually try it sometime instead of playing the same character over and over again.
>>
>>383630747
Because there is a difference between "these skills are optional" and "no good build takes them". You went with the latter. It is a minmaxer's mentality, therefore I'm calling you a minmaxer, even if you are bad at it.
>>
>foundry murder quest
>discover the dungeon by going in the back entrance
>hide a gun in a container and then let myself be caught
>grab my gun and then kill the murderer with it
this was great
>>
>>383631023
I said the best builds dump them, which is true. You can still have a good or great build with those skills, but implying that it's stupid to dump them is empirically false.
>>
>>383631000
>Crafting is optional.
Your braindead minmaxing - even more so.
Suggesting something this autistic to new players is the single worst thing i saw in underrail threads, congratulations.
>>
>>383631282
If you tell new players it's stupid to dump certain skills, they'll always take them no matter what. That's much worse than the general advice of "everything is viable but you need to come up with a plan and stick to it."

You just need to accept the fact that I'm right and you're wrong. There's nothing wrong with dumping hacking or lockpicking.
>>
>>383631215
Care to give examples of those "best builds"?
>>
>>383605359
spajder to ty??
>>
>>383631201
>tfw evelyn doesn't seduce you if you're a girl
>>
i loved my psi monk playthrough but i really have to say power fist was too OP. i somehow ended up finding the lab with the fist somewhere mid game and never needed another weapon again. it gave you plus points to strength, it had incapacitation and electric damage. no weapon you could craft would come close to it. i'm pretty sure i pummeled tchort to death with the power fist too.
>>
>>383631453
Oh no, telling the players to enjoy the game to the fullest is never a bad idea.
Unnecessary, excessive minmaxing focused only around the combat in a game with great exploration and crafting aspect is laughable, thank fucking god you're just one autist and your objectively wrong opinion will never fuck up anyone else's playthrough.
>>
>>383631638
You're the only one obsessed with minmaxing my dude. Otherwise you wouldn't say lockpicking and hacking are essential.
>>
>>383631747
I'm not the one throwing exploration options for sheer combat functionality just to make my shitty-ass build work at least with constant savescumming, friend. Skill dumping is a typical sign of a minmaxing shitter, and you're a quite fucking awful at that to the boot.
Your opinion is wrong and harmful. You suck at the game and need a triple insurance to simply make your obtuse "builds" work. Deal with it.
Thread posts: 514
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.