[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Played it back in the day, enjoyed it but stopped for some reason.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 11

Played it back in the day, enjoyed it but stopped for some reason. Never finished it or got very far, is it worth getting on Steam?
>>
File: Oblivion modded.jpg (234KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Oblivion modded.jpg
234KB, 1600x900px
>>383572997
Yeah, it's really good with mods
>>
>>383572997
one of the last main quests was a tool to do so i cheated to speedrun it.
Overall the detail of some minor items placment towns and such give me the shivers at the time.
The sidequests had sence ...
Now compare that to skyrim and all you got is quantity over quality
>>
>>383573350
So you're saying oblivion is more about quality compared to skyrim quantity?
>>
>>383573426
Yes.
There are few dungeons that are not tied to a quest. In skyrim only few are and all are generic go in and go out near the exit.

Quests are more immersive and have sence ...
In skyrim you have many stupid decisions...: you must be a wearwolf to advance the storyline
of the warrior fraction(you earn their trust after 2 missions).
You become the archmage and all that is difrent ... you can sleep in the archmage quarters.

In oblivion there are many more flesh out places out of reach till you earn some people trust. You get the feeling you did achive something after each side sotryline.
That is my opinion.
>>
>>383573350
If you meant closing the oblivion gates you don't have to do it. All in all there are three games you have to go through in the main quest. The rest are optional.
>>
>>383574017
Seems decent, just what I need really.

I've been playing vanilla wow last few months and content wise it's been dead boring so I need something interesting...

What class to play? I was thinking just the generic imperial warrior, usually what I enjoy
>>
>>383574104
But at one point near every city a gate opens.
And i think you need to close them all.
>>383574017
Plus some quests comopared to skyrim are not "Up to your face" "do it now or i will stand here and w8" bullshit.
And for me skyrim was more to compare to a new Ubisoft game where you make a map then content to it than you make a world to fit specific content ... it all looks so empty.
>>
>>383574271
what class to play ... geesh ...
If you take a warror class it will be all the same quick in fight and laugh at the sight of danger.

Thief_> this game made me as the first time be happy to clean a whole mage library of its content, or steal a darn carrot.
I played this way for the long time, you might get frustrated of being discovered by accident, you will stratigize prepair and plot.

Mage- > its a bitch tyo play at first, you wont get why spells are so expensive till you get to the academy. There you will know how to combine every darn spell you can think off.

Combat sin not grand, a lot of sidestepping involved. but the grand thing is ... its your story...
I envy you coz i would like to erase my memory of the game and get into it once again.
>>
>>383573426
Not him, but no. Oblivion's main strength is the quests, compared to the other games at least. But one of Oblivion's weakest aspects is the fact that almost nothing in the world feels unique or well crafted. If exploration in Skyrim gets boring after 1 hour, in Oblivion it gets boring in 10 minutes.

And I consider Oblivion to be one of my favorite games of all time, but it is not a game that has more quality than quantity. It's a game that suffers from not having enough of it. If you want a well crafted world where you can just rush of into any direction and find neat unique things Oblivion is not that game.

>>383574315
>And i think you need to close them all.
Nope. You only need to close the Kvatch one, the Bruma one, and the final big Bruma one. All you get from closing gates from the other cities is ONE of their guards to help you in the final battle, which is pointless. All it really does is make it easier to keep Jauffre and Co alive so they can meander around Cloud Ruler Temple after the game is done.

>>383574271
Battlemage is pretty sweet in Oblivion due to the one button magic system.
>>
>>383574271
Oh and I advise you to not farm for lvl's.
Trust me.
Install the shivering isles pack.
Didnt play on mods so cant advise some good UI or play enchantment mods.
>>
>>383572997
Only if you download the uninstall and refund mod
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (61KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
61KB, 1280x720px
>>383574271
still hope you will find this guy early in the game
>>
>>383572997
shock spells are expensive but almost all daedra are weak to shock. it might get annoying but close every oblivion gate you find, the sigil stones are worth it
>>
>>383577552
THERE IS A OP strategy cheat ...
When you close a oblivion door save before that.
See waht stone you get and if you dont want it... load and try again.
At the end i was wearing simple cloths with elemental armor.
>simple cloths dont break
>>
File: 19201080wp.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
19201080wp.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>383572997
>>383575216
This

Don't play the game without some serious balancing mods installed imo. As you progress through the levels monsters scale fucking HORRENDOUSLY. Oblivion is probably the worst offender of health sponge mobs I've ever seen.

https://youtu.be/Vp4-9G47uF0?t=33m13s watch for a few minutes. this dude explains it better than me
>>
>>383572997
100% yes. Oblivion has hands-down the best quests in any elder scrolls game and IMO the best environment, even if it does look dated.

Make sure you install a leveling mod though since vanilla oblivion is 100% fucking retarded and WILL break the game for you if you're not careful. I suggest Oblivion XP.

There are plenty of other worthwhile mods if you're interested.
>>
>>383578201
>>383578297
just scale the dificulty down ...
the exp gain is ok(if you dont want master spells erly on)
>>
>>383577552
>>383577730
Did Oblivion have the whole "elemental defense also adds physical defense" thing?
I remember that enchanting with all 3 could give you serious physical protection.

Also, save some oblivion gates until lvl 25 or so, for the highest-tier stones.
>>
>>383578458
no

If you allow yourself to scale down difficulty whenever the game gets tough then why bother playing at all? Mods actually fix the difficulty and make the game enjoyable. Changing the difficulty whenever you want is a shy step away form just opening the console and killing enemies.
>>
>>383578297
>do sidequests instead of rushing down the MQ as some no-name lowbie
>by the time I start progressing the enemies are all 5x stronger than all the story NPCs
>battle of bruma becomes the bruma bloodbath
>>
>>383578781
Installing mods to make the game enjoyable/balanced is a shy step away from installing mods that make the game enjoyable/unbalanced.
>>
>>383578952
Which is why you install the right ones =^)

Yes you can break the game with mods but you can also fix it.

>>383578890
Something similar happened to me when I played the game before I knew about mods. Kvatch was overrun with frost astronachs that one shotted everyone.
>>
>>383578764
Yes, and it's better and cheaper than just enchanting with physical defense.

Oblivion gates could be hunted down to get sigil stones that would give you a free enchantment. One could stack them on different armor pieces to reach maximum armor v easily.
>>
Wish there was a oblivion co op ...
but it had to be created for the sole purose of a console:( so the problems start here.
>>
>>383574271
Breton + atronach birthsign

as much investment in alchemy as possible

don't fast travel

get spelldrinker and spell breaker/escutcheon of chorrol and laugh as things try to hurt you

get a million flax seeds from traveling between skingrad and kavatch and use them to make mana regen potions or damage health poisons

get free levels in alchemy and shitloads of gold by buying all the food you can find, making it into fatigue potions and selling them
>>
>>383579765
There is more than 1 person that played Oblivion?
>>
If you get it OP, please get the Auto Update leveled items and spells mod. OBSE mod that automatically updates any leveled quest reward items with the stronger versions as you level up. More effective enchantments too so your magic weapons dont burn themselves out in a few strikes.
>>
>>383578764
Yeah, elemental shields are glitched in cost. They act as shield + resist but are cheaper than regular protection

Using sigils of them on regular clothing is a nice way to get some of the highest armor ratings possible and elemental resists and you never have to repair the "armor" because it's just regular clothing
>>
>>383578297
>>383578201
Sounds good lads, what mods you recommend other than oblivion XP?
>>
>>383580607
they do dmg if somone hurts you too.

>>383580314
renember a day when i argued who would win ... me as a archer assasin ilusionist or my friend a ork warrior.
>>
>>383580827
Supreme Magicka Update gives a nice change to magic costs and power over the game. Although if you do use it make sure to turn off the magnitude XP option in the mod's configuation files if you're using Oblivion XP, since the option causes the skill to still grow between levels.
>>
>>383573205
Oblivion looks like THAT?
>>
>>383580428
So should I get this mod or the oblivion XP one?

Does that one you mentioned do anything else or..?

Likewise, never really used mods before, how to install them? It can be done thru steam right?
>>
>>383572997
See, I played it on the 360 and loved it. I have it on steam, but since it has no achievements, I wont touch it. I know I'm a piece of shit, but thats just the way I am now.
>>
>>383580930
It looks like shit when in motion though.
>>
>>383580967
>steam
Oh lord you have a lot to learn. I recommend on reading up some Oblivion modding tutorials (like how to use Oblivion Mod Manager) so you dont accidentally break your game.

Best to google a mod and read the description to see if it's for you.
>>
>>383577552
>Don't go to Kvatch
>Complete all the guild, daedra and side quests and explore the Imperial Province without any annoying gates spawning
Play /comfy/ OP, if you don't go to Kvatch you won't trigger the gates. Then when you are ready you can return to Kvatch power through the main quest.
>>
>>383580967
JUST PLAY THE GAME AND DONT HEAR OTHERS WHAT TO DO
That steals a lot from the expiriance
>>
>>383581072
Ya sorry never been big into modding at all...I don't have much idea on how to do any of that.

Sounds like I've got to learn tho, since the level scaling mods seems crucial for oblivion.
>>
>>383580967
Not through steam. Modding this game is a bit more pain in the ass than most and I don't expect you to do it either.

https://www.tesgeneral.com/oblivion-essentials
Follow this guide and any other guides you might find if you want to dive in to the hellhole called oblivion modding. It's hard but the end result is something unlike any other.
>>
>>383581176
You make it sound like unmodded Oblivion isn't a complete shitty experience.
>>
>>383580967
You use a mod manager to install and manage them. I personally like wrye bash

go take a look at nexus mods, you might just end up spending 6 hours collecting and configuring mods
>>
>>383580861
Ask the ork how much health/armor he has.
Take that & compare it against the best sneak-attack your stealth archer can make.
Debate solved.
>>
>>383581129
Be forewarned though,
>>383579103
>>383578890
>>
>>383581597
wanted to use a paralisis posion on him ... simple fight right ?
he was a ork vampire ;)
>>
File: IMG_0116.png (12KB, 243x243px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0116.png
12KB, 243x243px
>>383581797
>using poison without casting 100% weakness to poison first
>>
>>383582085
vs a warrior ? you dont have time for that
+ vampire will just resist posion and paralisis
>>
>>383580930
yes when you heavily mod it and ad PS effects to the screencap. In-game it doesn't though.
>>
File: Screenshot10291.jpg (656KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot10291.jpg
656KB, 1920x1080px
>>
File: Screenshot69786.jpg (494KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot69786.jpg
494KB, 1920x1080px
I just can't find any good texture and shader mods.
>>
>>383583740
ahhh.... the best kill...
And then looking at the guard sobbing with a cup of ale in his hand, over the death of his master.
>>
File: Screenshot16622.jpg (508KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot16622.jpg
508KB, 1920x1080px
>>
File: 1499255683763.jpg (98KB, 544x626px) Image search: [Google]
1499255683763.jpg
98KB, 544x626px
Yes. Fucking Oblivion has it's flaws, but it also has the best soundtrack out of all of the Elder scrolls games. fucking 10/10 music. Skyrim and morrowind had good music, but fucking oblivion has that masta piece that you all know and love.
>>
>>383581063
My oblivion looks fantastic in motion, its honestly very nice to look at. Its just characters and animations that are irredeemable shit
>>
>>383583740
>>383583927
>>383584007
>dude blue
>>
File: Screenshot70075.jpg (553KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot70075.jpg
553KB, 1920x1080px
>>383583930
Yeah, I wish there were more quests like this one. Or if they'd put more possible entrances in houses. Also, Thieves' Arsenal is great, makes it feel like a Thief game, but it would be much better if you could blow out candles and use physics to your advantage.
>>
>>383584190
Yeah, I should disable the palette.
>>
>>
>>383584909
Nice. Does this mod work with Open Cities Classic?
>>
>>383585059
yeah
>>
>>383584095
best music when traveling through the forrest on horse back. Fucking love that Beyond Skyrim: Bruma uses the same tune for their soundtrack
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.