[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think of dead cells? Why was it overshadowed by the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 13

File: 468px.jpg (27KB, 468x372px) Image search: [Google]
468px.jpg
27KB, 468x372px
What do you think of dead cells?
Why was it overshadowed by the colorless bug game?
>>
>>383571868
It's pretty fun but could use some more content.
I'm hoping that some of the weaker items could be buffed since some of them seem much worse than others.
>>
File: into the trash.png (183KB, 569x535px) Image search: [Google]
into the trash.png
183KB, 569x535px
Bug game isn't in early access
>>
>>383571868
>Why was it overshadowed by the colorless bug game?
It was finished and released earlier.
It's also not a roguelike, so even comparing them doesn't make sense.
>>
Is throwing all my points into balanced blade as it is the starter weapon a good strategy?
>>
>>383571868

random generation absolutely ruins any substance or soul games like this could have

i bought it and refunded it in about 45 minutes. also they did one of the things i hate the absolute most in game development

>you have literally hundreds of games to look at regarding how you should design certain things
>you still fail, for what reason? ignorance or laziness?
the character is in the middle of the screen in DC instead of about 1/3 from the bottom of the screen. this is fucking tremendously irritating/bad and ruined the entire game for me. why did they make this mistake? how many side scrolling games exist to fucking look at?
>>
>>383572231
No.
It's best to invest in health and cash return right off the bat. Then focus on just unlocking everything one by one after you max those out.
>>
Best early access game I played.
Top notch movement, combat, visuals and music.

While it does lack a bit of content after you finish the boss and clear all the areas a couple of times, they are updating super fast and consistently so I'd recommend it for anyone who likes the style.
>>
File: 50cal.jpg (122KB, 720x699px) Image search: [Google]
50cal.jpg
122KB, 720x699px
>>383572486
Health do you think the flask or maximum health?
Never uses the flask as every death is some sort of insta-gib but more maximum health would be nice, can you upgrade that?
>>
>>383572320
The level design/generation is very vertical, you don't want to have to look down every time you drop a floor in a fast paced game like this.
>>
>>383572058
>>383572131
>>383572229
What bug game?
>>
It's pretty cool but the content is lacking a bit.

The Watcher can be trivial or impossible depending on how lucky you were in your weapons drop. Doesn't help that it's bugged.

Combat is excellent but some weapons are objectively shit. Why even use shields? And arrows should come off if you hit the enemy with your melee weapon.

Last area released is great but it takes about as long to just go the normal way and you don't get worst gear.
>>
>>383572715
The flask. Cash return at the max is the most important though, that will carry your future runs in case you die.
You have to rely on scrolls for health. I advise always buying scrolls whenever possible. Always get some health, but try to focus on either strength or skills, trying to balance both isn't the optimal strategy at the moment.
>>
>>383572816
Wuppo.
>>
>>383571868
I'd assume because it's not as good.
>>
>>383572816
Hollpw Knight

I played both and while I like HK best both games are clearly different
>>
>>383572815
? i'm not sure what point you think you're making

character in center of screen bad. it's something you test early on and it's somtehing you realize is bad and go another direction. nothing relating to the level design has any impact on it being a bad choice and ultimately why i refunded the game

hollow knight is a very vertical game too, his default position is like 20% up the screen and the screen doesn't track/center on him (another bad issue with DC)
>>
>>383572880
Where's the new area, I assume after Ossuary>Depths?
>>
>>383572914
You should focus on health of strength. No need to upgrade skill if you've got a choice.

Skills are mainly useful for their effect, not their damage. Like burning your enemies so your sword can do double damages.
>>
>>383571868
Colorless bug game used less memes and maketing buzzwords.
>it's a Dark Souls roguelike xD
>>
>>383572971
What is the big point with Hollow Knight? Played the first "map" i get from that bug but damn it is so depressive to look at. I think I am not far in yet.
>>
>>383572229
Neither of them is a roguelike.
>>
>>383573048
Ossuary has been made harder and leads to the Black Bridge or the new area, which has a tweest.
>>
>>383573001
But HK isn't has fast paced and you look down a lot before making jumps.
>>
>>383573181
kill shit and explore and get cool powers and kill more shit

it's metroid but with bugs it's great
>>
>>383573181
It's a competent game from start to finish with a neat artstyle and atmosphere, and it's quite a long game.
>>
File: 1493965500862.jpg (109KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1493965500862.jpg
109KB, 720x960px
Just unlocked the vine ability last night.
What does the sarcophagus do, are they unlocked next?
>>
>>383573238
then make the game less fast paced

if there are errors in design fix them. dont use other errors in the design to excuse errors in the design. lol.

DC isn't good largely because the camera follows the hero 100% and the camera does not do this in any well known 2d side scroller BECAUSE IT IS BAD.
>>
>>383573329
you teleport to another specific nearby sarcophagus
>>
>>383573331
That's no "error in the design", it's a deliberate choice and it makes total sense in a game where stuff happens both above and below you all the time.
>>
>>383573331
I'm pretty sure no one but you is asshurt about the camera.
>>
>>383572971
>>383573181
>>383572229
Just got the true ending for hollow knight.

Do not buy this game. I barely enjoyed it the whole way through. I am a long time player of castlevania and metroid games. This shit is so uninspired, so dull that the actual gameplay is a complete slog to play through. The game is piss easy and I never lost geo and even the last boss Radiance is easy as fuck.

The story is a straight up rip from dark souls.

>lol the king held the void at bay by using a hollow knight to absorb the light
>lol you are the chosen und-er hollow knight and for the true ending must seal the light away and break the cycle

What else can I say really? The art style is awful.

Do you like Symphony of the Night? Well this is that game instead of the awesome sprite artwork you are alucard if he was made by a tumblr artist. The entire game I was wondering why everyone was shilling this game and this is my theory.

It's the undertale retards who never played a vania game before so this is their first step in the genre so it's SOOOO unique because its "underrated", except the actual combat is floaty garbage and you never feel satisfied killing enemies.

This game is cancer and if you like this game. Kill yourself. You are a worthless mongoloid who enjoys half baked indie games with recycled ideas from Miyazaki. It's boring. Fuck you.
>>
>>383573308
>>383573312

It just feels clunky after Shovel Knight :( Guess I give it a proper try if I can find a way to continue, the dark cave seems like the best bet.
>>
>>383573529
>That's no "error in the design", it's a deliberate choice

it's a deliberate incorrect choice which makes the experience far worse and is costing them a deluge of sales
>>
>>383573730
Damn that is brutal. Might be why I felt it was bit meh, I seen to much Symphony of the Night and played some at friends houses.
>>
>>383573730
I enjoyed it greatly, shame you didn't.
>>
>>383571868

Not as cool as Fox Hound
>>
>>383573761
Lol autist.

Is there even one review, good or bad, that mentions the camera?
>>
>>383573853
t.undertale babbie

Kill yourself
>>
>>383571868
My problems with the game:
skill spamming trivializes most of the game, I haven't played the new area but there needs to be more enemies that pursue you more aggressively so you can't just spam skills off a 2 foot ledge 100% safely
I'd like a defensive skill to use with my cursed sword, like a very brief temporary invincibility or something idk
I'd like for you to be able to look down when you hold down, the game incentivizes dive attacks and punishes you for not diving down tall areas so you sometimes dive straight into a spike pit without being able to react
I don't see how long the game could go on, upgrades can get out of hand when its 40% every time iirc. also the game's length is getting a little long as is (~40-60 mins to beat the boss or something?), and I'm not sure I'd enjoy it being longer
Timed doors/challenge rooms needs to have a better reward, like with a scroll or something

>>383573761
>deluge
lol
>>
>>383573730
Was posting this copypasta your goal all along OP? Should have probably used your anime avatar with it.
>>
>>383573730
i didn't find it easy, but i hated the amount of platforming with the unforgiving nature of the game combined with the amount of backtracking due to the scarce save points.
>>
>>383573946
I don't get what you hope to achieve by shitposting about a game that's objectively good. I'd say its biggest flaw is that it's not very original in the powers it gives your character but I can get past ir if the game use them well, which it does
>>
>>383574024
What the fuck are you even talking about, I literally wrote this 2 days ago. Fuck off hollow cuckold.
>>
>>383573956
You can move the camera around with the right analog stick.
>>
>>383574112
>objectively good

Is absolutely brain dead with a shit art design, piss easy combat, floaty controls and a story straight up ripped from the souls games. You are a braindead sape.
>>
>>383574160
i play on keyboard, can't be bothered to take out my gamepad
>>
>>383573909
consider this one. do you rely on reviewers to tell you what to think? just so you understand, i've been gaming longer than any reviewer you follow and i have more clout.

PS: have written reviews professionally before. camera and random generation ruin the game. There's a reason dead cells isn't being talked about despite its fantastic presentation

but hey, rather than admit it might have a fatal flaw, better suck the game's dick :)
>>
>>383574225
>>383574160
but it's good that they acknowledged it i guess
>>
>>383573730
So much text for such weak b8.
3/10 for effort.
>>
>>383574318
it got you :^)
>>
>>383574252
So the game has a fatal flaw that apparently no reviewer, including Steam reviews or "pros" mention as a dealbreaker. Clearly, it's a conspiracy. Must be them shills again.
>>
>>383574318
>>383574353
>someone has an opinion on a game and writes an actual thought out, coherent post explaining why it's shit
>b-b-ait

Are you fucking retards serious? Are you actually mental?
>>
>>383574192
Well if HK is shit that's great news cause that means the industry is setting up some amazing standards for the years to come.
>>
>>383574459
No it isn't really, because HK isn't unique at all. It's showing that people will literally eat up a derivative SoTN that has dark souls mechanics because gamers are brain dead sapes who don't understand shit. Like yourself.
>>
>>383574517
Oh yeah, I agree, it's not unique, but nothing wrong with trying to do a good game instead of an unique one. And I think they succeeded in that.
>>
>>383574192
Castlevania games aren't any harder.
In what way are the controls "floaty", the whole thing is responsive as fuck.
Kill yourself.
>>
File: muh reviews.png (465KB, 1013x2129px) Image search: [Google]
muh reviews.png
465KB, 1013x2129px
>>383574406
>I need reviewers to decide my opinions for me because I'm not confident making calls myself on what is good and bad!

you lose go away
>>
>>383574448
>memes like "floaty controls"
>thought out post
Pick one.
>>
>>383571868
It's EA the fuck do you want?
>>
>>383574589
But it isn't good either. The actual combat, platforming and boss fights are absolutely awful. It isn't satisfying at all to hit shit. The gameplay which is the driving force of these games is a shitty castlevania rip off and it doesn't even do it well.

>>383574590
Castlevania games are definitely harder than this trite. The floaty controls with the jumping is no precise, it's weighted down by it's art design. The combat itself is literally brain dead easy and the actual mechanics don't require any thinking or planning.

>>383574675
It does have it though, the movement is extremely unappealing.
>>
>>383574645
Half of thoses are talking about stuttering, which is a performance issue and not what you were talking about.

People complaining about the camera movement itself don't seem to consider that big of a deal in general. Still, I can see why that bother you, but you overestimate how it impacts the game.
>>
>>383574737
>The floaty controls with the jumpin
Controls are pin-point precise.
>The combat itself is literally brain dead easy
Just like Castlevania then.
>>
>>383574917
KEK, go play any of the older castlevanias or just boot up Rondo of Blood and tell me that it is as easy as HK. I mean SoTN is fucking easy as shit but it's still more challenging that hollow knight.

They are precise, but the actual movement is awful. Actual combat and interacting with enemies is boring as hell.
>>
>>383574737
>The actual combat, platforming and boss fights are absolutely awful. It isn't satisfying at all to hit shit.
I disagree. I'lm leave it at that since you'll continue to say your opinion while I'll say mine and clearly we're not going to convince the other.

I hope the content update this month is nice.
>>
>>383574901
i'm not overestimating anything. i've played a hundred times more 2d sidescrollers than you. a cursory search reveals it's an issue and people don't like it

>muh reviews

you honestly aren't fit to speak to me if you don't have confidence in your own words. Let me explain something very slowly: Anything I can tell you is better than any reviewer can tell you, because you cannot find a single reviewer who is honest like i am and has played every single genre of existing games at high level.

>muh reviewers

fucking girls, trannies, and 20 year olds. somehow they have a better opinion than me, gaming since 1986, professional level gamer, retail game work, and professional writer in the past as well

kill yourself. dead cells' camera ruins the game (on top of the random generation which ruins the game first)
>>
>>383573730
How does it compare to Ori? I was gonna buy it but I went with Dead Cells instead.
>>
>>383575054
It's embarrassing that it took me this long to see I bit the bait.

Anyway anyone tried the Darkness yet?
>>
>>383574998
I played the GBA ones. They're not any more challenging.
>They are precise, but the actual movement is awful.
The fuck is that even supposed to mean?
>Actual combat and interacting with enemies is boring as hell.
The feedback you get from hitting enemies is very satisfying. If you want to complain about bad combat pick La Mulana or something.
>>
>>383575209
>get utterly told
>respond as if you aren't feeling completely blown away

yeah suck my dick little faggot. muh reviews. muh reviews. i rely on 20 year old trannies with purple hair to tell me what games are good muh reviews.
>>
>>383575274
>he's_going_all_out.jpg
>>
>>383575313
can't have your own opinions on what is bad about a game's design after playing games, writing about them, and even making them for almost 30 years

better rely on some 21 year old lefitst university dropout with no degree and blue hair and gauged ears to tell me what is good and bad about the game!

because you know, reviews! reviews!!!
>>
File: CAT_JOY_OK_HAND.png (212KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
CAT_JOY_OK_HAND.png
212KB, 480x480px
>>383575368
sure thing autist
>>
>>383575118
I didn't play it, looks like shit honestly.

>>383575260
I died 3 times in HK. 3. And I got the true ending. 1 death was from radiance. You can actually die in castlevania pretty regularly and you probably played aria of sorrow or some other easy shit. Castlevania as a whole is harder than HK even at it's easiest it's harder than HK.

The movement, combat is fine as is. But the implementation of it leaves a lot to be desired. When you shoot things with samus or use a whip it feels visceral. You enjoy hitting enemies, in HK you get some weak sound effect and it takes out all tension of the game. Metroid and Vania have atmosphere going for it with an amazing art direction, not this shitty tumblr garbage that is in this game.
>>
Is there any bow worth using besides the Infinite Arrows one? All the others are practically worthlesses on any Elite monsters, which are the one you try to avoid.
>>
>>383575485
>oh no, i got btfo!
>better post meme images

you're fat and ugly and have no friends in real life
>>
File: CUATE.png (147KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
CUATE.png
147KB, 480x480px
>>383575554
sure thing autist
>>
File: 20170709222525_1.jpg (178KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170709222525_1.jpg
178KB, 1920x1080px
>>383573730
Yet the game is actually good, it stands up with other great metroidvanias like La-Mulana and Rabi-Ribi as some of the genres best.
>>
>>383575543
I only like the infantry bow and the heavy crossbow thing, also the throwing knives but that's not really a bow but its similar
I don't like how arrows get stuck in enemies until you kill them, but sometimes you get skills which makes enemies drop those stuck arrows
I had a run with an amulet that makes you invisible after a few seconds and the heavy crossbow works really well with it, and at high strength it crushes most enemies
>>
>>383575764
It isn't though. It's extremely mediocre and is uninspired. Like what are you even talking about honestly. The combat is floaty garbage and nothing is satisfying in game to accomplish. The music is generic and the art style is some tumblr shit. Even putting HK in the same sentences as La-mulana is shamful as fuck.
>>
>>383576010
Backgrounds are god tier, only the sprites are kinda meh.
>>
>>383576126
I mean obviously they put effort in the art design, but it feels wasted because it looks ugly.

This is more appealing than HK by miles.
>>
>>383576010
>>383576361
Sounds like you are just being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian, outside of the soundtrack being nothing special all of your complaints don't have any ground to them.
>>
>>383576421
I liked the soundtrack, it was atmospheric and fitting. Some pieces like the Hornet theme was really memorable.
>>
>>383576421
I'm not being contrarian, I buy games and want to actively enjoy them. I don't search for reasons to hate them. But I genuinely did not enjoy a second of HKs story, gameplay or level design. I hated it. Some bosses were cool, but it was just so piss easy I didn't even once feel like I was challenged at all. Even at the coliseum.
>>
>>383576421
oh look it's a little kid who thinks the word "contrarian" means "has own opinion"

im same guy who was dissing dead cells earlier in the thread and i have more gaming clout, experience, have been paid more for game shit, and i understand and know games better than all of you

hollow knight sucks why the fuck do i want to play a 2d game with one move i can do to start and depressing art?

"oh, let me unlock double jump for the 57 thousandth time in a metroidvania" NO THANKS, START ME WITH FUCKING DOUBLE JUMP, THE ONE THING DEAD CELLS DID RIGHT AT LEAST
>>
>>383571868
Colorless bug game is completed.
Dead cells is in early access and currently 20% done.
>>
File: Steam games.png (12KB, 232x73px) Image search: [Google]
Steam games.png
12KB, 232x73px
>>383576705
>I understand and know games better than all of you
>doesn't understand progression in a game at all
sure you do
Besides you don't even need the double jump to progress through the game, it's completely optional and hidden in an optional area.
>>
From what I've already played its largely uninteresting.
RNG areas are unappealing, I like to explore areas defined by their unique landmarks, not their backgrounds.
Combat is nice until you realize slow weapons are a liability.
Movement at least feels responsive enough.
And lastly dark souls punish system in a game where learning on the fly is impossible. As if I didn't already have enough of it, gotta have it here as well.
>>
>>383576984
>steam account value is some indicator of how much you understand games

LOL you werent fucking even alive during the 16 bit era were you

dont even ansewr i know the answer
>>
I like the animations of the game, but the difficulty is a bit RNG dependant. I guess I'll give the developers props in the fact that if you get fucked by RNG you straight up die, the game is relatively fast either way.
>>
File: 24dH3gx.png (210KB, 616x258px) Image search: [Google]
24dH3gx.png
210KB, 616x258px
>>383571868
because hollow knight have cute waifus
and dead cells is pixel art meme shit
>>
>>383577208
But I was, I beat more old games back then and I still play them now. Someone with actual taste knows that the time when a game came out doesn't matter on how it plays. You don't even like every genre either.
>>
>>383577391
At least dead cells has good combat. That character was boring. LOL LET ME DIG OUT AND SUCK YOUR HOLLOW COCK WOW YOU ARE A WARRIOR, died in a boss fight later on.

Like seriously? Why are the npcs interactions directly ripped from dark souls. What the fuck were they thinking.
>>
>>383577208
Neither were you Mr. NoCapitalsOrPunctuation.
>>
>>383577447
>Someone with actual taste knows that the time when a game came out doesn't matter on how it plays.

except it matters massively and newer games are by far more fun to play than older games, generally speaking

bluh bluh muh video games you're wrong your opinions are bad i'm tired bye
>>
>>383577509
>everything in a game has to 100% original to be good
I could write an entire book about things in Dark Souls that aren't original.
You know how many things it took from Berserk right?
>>383577559
>newer games are by far more fun to play than older games, generally speaking
It's not even worth saying anything else at this point.
>>
>>383577559
>here's my stupid uneducated opinion, now let me say bye before you can call me out on it
>>
>>383577637
And? I love berserk. But that is another medium. Who gives a fuck, it isn't a 1 to 1 ratio steal. Some of the tone is taken, but the story is completely different, just the bleak outlook is retained. Who cares?

I'm talking about the dark souls story and how it plays out specifically through npcs and the endings.

Ending 1 you light the flame.

Ending 2 you embrace the dark

Ending 3 you extinguish the flame and let the cycle die

This shit is so blatant it's actually absurd. Like how can you defend this? Games take ideas from film all the time. So fucking what?
>>
>>383577661
He was parodying you.
>>
>>383577637
>It's not even worth saying anything else at this point.

it's really not because it'd take some effort for you to contradict that, which you aren't willing to put in because you know it'd be wasted, frivolous effort, backing a point you don't believe to be true

you know as well as i do that games are generally better now it isn't even close

i was fuckin there kid, half the shit that used to come out was shovelware
>>
>>383577776
>half the shit that used to come out was shovelware
More than half the shit that comes out now is shovelware too, your point?
>>
File: cattle.jpg (167KB, 680x453px) Image search: [Google]
cattle.jpg
167KB, 680x453px
BACK TO DEAD CELLS
How do I become cheese?
>>
>>383577930
honestly if you weren't around in the 80s/early 90s your opinion on this isn't relevant or wanted

you have no idea the crapshoot that trying/buying games used to actually be, you really cannot fathom
>>
>>383577754
The only ending DS and HK have in common is the first ending, where both protagonists sacrifice themselves to save their world/kingdom. Tho I think HK implies that the Vessel manages to permanently seal Radiance.

Ending 2 of HK is the same as 1 except Hornet's in there.

Ending 3 you kill the source of the infection, no ties to any DS ending as far as I remember since your character dies too.
>>
>>383578169
Ending 3 is the dark souls 3 true ending, you end the cycle by sacrificing yourself. It's blatant.

End cycle, perpetuate cycle. Etc. It's a direct rip.
>>
>>383578049
Look at his arguments shifting before our eyes! Now it's apparently about storefronts.
>>
File: 1470684869810.jpg (81KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1470684869810.jpg
81KB, 960x540px
>>383576010
>>383576705
I dont know anon, the "uninspired" complaint seems kind of nitpicky.
The combat is its own entirely as well as the level design and enemies.
If it was truly just completely uninspired then it would be basically like an expansion pack on whatever metroidvania you consider it equal in general quality.
And honestly I consider it at least around super metroid quality so that makes it good to me
>>
>>383578236
But that's not what happens in dark souls 3 you retard
>>
>>383578236
Except there's no cycle in HK, it's just a god trying to spread an infection, the Hollow Knight was flawed so the stuff leaked out, and your MC is not so the infection is definitely sealed.

And if I remember right DS3's ending had you extinguish the Fire to become Lord of hollows or some shit. Clearly different result.
>>
>>383578284
>that post represents an argument shifting

you know it's funny you kids who come here can't even argue, discuss or converse anymore, you say the exact same shit, like "shifting goalposts" when the goalposts shifted exactly 0 fucking microns. hilarious.
>>
>>383575118
oris's probably a bit harder, but it's much lower on the combat. bosses are a huge part of hollow knight.
>>
>>383578397
My bad I meant the true ending when you extinguish yourself allowing the world to run with dark. And yes there is a cycle, it's fucking blatant dude. The hollow knight keeps it at bay, without the main character it would spread until another one could take his place, by the hollowness of his soul he could take it down and keep it within himself. That is a cycle. The infection and radiance would spread unless a perfect vessel could contain it. The Hollow Knight boss is basically gwynn, same hollowed out enemy who is a shell of his former glory, who you put down to either take his place or end the cycle. It's dark souls. Even the npc interactions is like dark souls how there is mechanisms to complete quest lines for them and if you don't interact with them at specific times the quest will fail and you won't see it's conclusion.

Not to mention the death mechanic is like hollowing in itself.
>>
>>383578429
You started talking about game quality, then blatantly shifted to their availability. You don't have an argument anymore.
>>
>>383578305
It's uninspired because it literally steals ideas and mechanics from successful games hidden in a tumblr art style. Thats uninspired because it doesn't do anything new, or copies well.
>>
>>383578635
alright you caught me.
i was just pretending to be retarded.
thanks for the (You)s, sucker
>>
>>383578397
That's also wrong, both the hollow knight and the player character are vessels, the infection would still find a way out of the player character eventually and the events would need to be redone. (unless it's the hornet version, in which case the black egg temple can't be reopened due to the seal being inside of it, the infection would still spread however)
The true end ends it completely however, the infection is completely gone because the source is gone.
>>383578598
It's heavily implied the true ending of dark souls 3 doesn't end the cycle at all, the fire will come back eventually.
>>
>>383575054
>(on top of the random generation which ruins the game first)
I understand you're likely in a bad mood, but as someone at least looking into making a game, I am curious.
Why is that a bad thing? Or is it just the way dead cells handles it thats bad?
>>
>>383578692
It's not heavily implied at all, that's an interpretation. The idea is though that you allow yourself to turn to dust to eliminate the flame. Which had never been done before. It can either end the cycle, or it will begin again. But it did end either way, even for a time.

Which is gonna be the caveat in HK 2, and radiance comes back or some bullshit.
>>
>>383578698
random generation is always a bad thing for 2d games, whose gameplay is ultra-reliant on good design of each individual screen to make the adventure interesting, compelling, fair, and fun

with random generated shit it will always lack at least 2 of those components

it also directly hinders game design, you certainly can't have a true "metroidvania" with random generation, because then things have to be made general-purpose instead of being able to design excellent memorable areas like the broken staircase leading to dracula in SOTN.
>>
>>383578831
> But it did end either way, even for a time.
But that's literally the exact same thing as the dark lord ending in Dark Souls 1 and 2.
>>
>>383578667
I wasnt arguing against it being uninspired though, nor questioning that.
I was saying that it doesnt matter.
Super Mario Galaxy 2 is fucking uninspired as shit, yet its god damn great.
If you have criticisms about the combat itself and level design among other things, then that will be worth listening to.
>>
>>383578692
>the infection would still find a way out of the player character eventually and the events would need to be redone.
I dunno about that. There's a shot in the ending where you can see the Vessel's eyes turning yellow from Radiance and progressively reverting to black. The Hollow Knight however still has yellow eyes, and he's clearly called flawed by some npc.

I'm so fucking tired of people calling everything a cycle because the MC has to do something that's been done before.
>>
>>383578896
No it fucking isn't. The only one who breaks the cycle is the main character once he assembles the crown. Nothing is accomplished in Dark Souls 2. It's just the player character breaks the curse but still lives forever. He alone cures himself but no cycle is broken.

>>383578960
I do think the combat is awful, it doesn't feel right to combat enemies. The sprites don't interact too well and the enemies attack patterns isn't well thought out. The map itself is also a slog, traversing it is a pain in the ass and sucks the fun out of the game, the combat and this problem go hand in hand.

Also Galaxy 2 isn't uninspired, it's unoriginal considering it isn't the first 3d mario game, but it innovated on that gameplay and had different mechanics. There is no innovation here.
>>
>>383579049
How many times has a hollow knight been replaced? Honestly it's a fucking cycle. Maybe you didn't understand the story well enough but that is whats happening. Saying it isn't a copy of dark souls is disingenuous at best.
>>
>>383579081
>He alone cures himself but no cycle is broken.
Exactly, which is what happens in Dark Souls 3 too.
>>
>>383571868
I would play it if it didn't stutter every 2 seconds
>>
>>383579142
No it isn't, at fucking all. The main character allows the entire world to be absorbed by dark, that isn't him living forever or breaking the curse for himself. No that's him hitting the rest button not just walking off knowing that he is no longer undead. Do you not understand the story or something?
>>
>>383579141
>How many times has a hollow knight been replaced?
One time.

By you. Assuming you picked that ending.
>>
>>383579081
>The sprites don't interact too well and the enemies attack patterns isn't well thought out.
Care to elaborate for someone who thought the opposite when playing through the game?
>>
>talk about dark souls a lot with a friend since the first game
>we agree that these worlds seem to have short ages of brilliance, and then a long drawn out decline
>it seems like there is more suffering in the souls worlds than happiness, and it would be better if the world just ended instead of dredging up horrible beasts time and time again
>we are both so excited to maybe be able to end the fire in DS3
>get that ending
>you can actually fucking end it!!! we saved them!!! no more suffering!
>that last line about the fire flickering in the distance

NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>383579201
You are talking about the wrong Dark Souls 2 ending however.
>>
>>383579308
I'm talking about the canonical dark souls 2 ending. And even then the other endings have no interaction with the flame. So nothing gets resolved.

>>383579272
Just doesn't feel right at all, you do too much damage, the enemies are easy to hit, they are floaty and overall don't feel threatening. It just isn't well done.

>>383579241
Ok now if you took his place another one would eventually have to take yours. That's the system in place. Saying it isn't dark souls is stupid as fuck. Sorry man.
>>
>>383579421
That is all fair enough but how about the other part, namely what about the attack patterns is wrong?
>>
>>383571868
>overshadowed
it was in the top 30 during Steam sales

side note: I fucking hate cursed chests, their rewards are lame
>>
>>383579421
>no interaction with the flame
That in itself is enough already with how dark souls works.
>>
>>383579532
>a skill upgrade, random weapon/skill, and a large gem is lame
You're crazy. 10 enemies is nothing for all that.
>>
File: 1493949883027.jpg (49KB, 497x500px) Image search: [Google]
1493949883027.jpg
49KB, 497x500px
>>383579291
You can never end it, without fire everything will just be dark like that one area in ds3, the world and monsters will always be there.
>>
>>383579598
Especially if you have the kunai/lightning whip and can just avoid enemies
>>
>>383579521
Ok let's take of the enemies the axe enemy in the coliseum. He throws an axe if you are far, but up close he strikes, but the start up is so slow that it's completely predictable. All boss attack patterns are also easy to read beyond the first 30 seconds. Not to mention they stop doing things to give you time to heal. Just feels too easy.

>>383579576
No it isn't, it's a side story. It is one character becoming immortal and breaking the curse. But it's not a victory because he's the only one. That's real closure.
>>
>>383579421
>Ok now if you took his place another one would eventually have to take yours
Source?
>>
>>383579683
Extrapolate the story. The hollow knight shows that you cannot contain the infection for long. So what happens if you take his place?
>>
>>383579657
there weren't any monsters before, it was at least a neutral existence
>>
>>383579657
>>383579742
Monsters only existed because the flame allowed them too. If both ended at the same time nothing would exist. And either it restarts again with the age of gods, or nothing forever.
>>
>>383579664
>Just feels too easy.
I must say I have nary experienced a metroidvania with too much harder combat than this one.
In other words, I clearly have not found the hard ones. What ones would you recommend that are properly difficult?
>>
>>383579081
>The map itself is also a slog, traversing it is a pain in the ass and sucks the fun out of the game, the combat and this problem go hand in hand.
It's like you need to criticise something for the sake of criticising something, so you just lie through your teeth.
Hollow Knight actually puts some thought into making backtracking more pleasant.
>>
>>383579795
La Mulana is pretty difficult
>>
>>383579795
Rondo of Blood, but it's not a metroid game. Even SoTN enemies can be a threat until you get stronger, and even then bosses are unpredictable at times. They look better too and feel better.
>>
>>383579740
The Hollow Knight is said to be flawed by a NPC, I forgot who.

Ending implies it's fine, infected bugs have yellow eyes, just like HK. Your character don't (watch the ending cinematic).
>>
>>383579793
>If both ended at the same time nothing would exist. And either it restarts again with the age of gods, or nothing forever.

it restarts with the age of dragons. in that way, we always missed the entire "alive" part of the souls universe, which was the world of the dragons

and along with the dragons there are...dregs i guess...human-like things
>>
>>383579953
Ok, he is flawed and? He doesn't have the eyes, but what happens from 10 years from that point? 20?
>>
>>383575054
You might want to tone it down, Icycalm, this isn't your private hugbox.
>>
>>383580050
>expecting me to know your livejournal or youtube or myspace person or whatever it is
>>
>>383579598
Maybe it changed, I played more before the elemental update and everytime i was getting a shit skill
>>
>>383580017
Sound like you're sticking to your headcanon instead of what's in the game.
>>
>>383580186
Lol now who doesn't know his history.
>>
>>383580294
It definitely changed
>>
>>383580345
the history of video games has fuck all to do with your little internet parasite kardashian culture
>>
>>383580331
Not really man, considering the structure of the ending is like dark souls as well. It's "open" to interpretation because you don't know if it was instant that the hollow knight became corrupted, or gradual. If we are going by dark souls logic, probably gradual. Shit maybe the yellow eyes was to foreshadow the transformation and loss of self of the main character? I mean it really is just like kindling the flame.
Thread posts: 159
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.