[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, /v/... Is AM2R the best side-scrolling Metroid? Will the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: coverart-1280x800.jpg (764KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
coverart-1280x800.jpg
764KB, 1280x800px
So, /v/... Is AM2R the best side-scrolling Metroid? Will the official remake be better?
>>
>>383544776
Pretty sure that's still Super Metroid, OP.

Fusion and Zero Mission couldn't top it, and those were actually made by Nintendo. As such, I doubt a re-make made by a third party dev could top it.
>>
Super Metroid is slightly better than AM2R. The remake will be worse than Fusion because lol Mercury Engine.
>>
File: ENLIGHTMENT.jpg (19KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
ENLIGHTMENT.jpg
19KB, 512x288px
>>383544916
>Pretty sure that's still Super Metroid, OP.

I think Zero Mission is better
>>
It's the best side-scrolling Metroid romhack.

>Will the official remake be better?
It can't be worse
>>
The official 2D Metroid ranking list is:

>Super Metroid
>AM2R
>Zero Mission
>Metroid (NES)
>Fusion
>Metroid 2 (GB)

No idea where SR is going to land, but it can't be worse than original Metroid 2. Hopefully it's better than Fusion, but we'll have to see.
>>
>>383545018
O, MY RUBBER NEN...!!
>>
>>383545225
>It can't be worse
Yes it can, it ALWAYS can.
>>
>>383545337
>Metroid (NES) ahead of Fusion

C'mon, man. The original is terrible.
>>
>>383545607
Not really no.

Visuals I'll give you, but the exploration is great. It's not nearly as closed off as Fusion is.
>>
>>383544776
AM2R is better than the first two games, but worse than Super, Fusion, and Zero Mission. Samus Returns will likely rank similarly.
>>
>>383544776
AM2R is the worst 2D Metroid game since Metroid II (although it's still solid).
>>
>>383545337
I agree with this list except for Metroid 1 above Fusion-- really nigga?
>>
>>383545337
>AM2R
>official 2D Metroid
>>
>>383544776
Mediocre maps, mediocre boss battles, mismatched soundtrack, mismatched artstyle. AM2R is good, especially for a fangame, but calling it the best in the series is pure delusion.
>>
File: AM2R_ending_3.png (179KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
AM2R_ending_3.png
179KB, 640x480px
>>383544776
Literally just finished this game for the first time.

I dont know if its the hype or finishing it but as of right now mi 2D Metroid top comes as this:

-AM2R
-Zero Mission
-Fussion
-II RoS
-Metroid

Im scared now that MSR wont be as good as AM2R.
>>
>>383547328
All 2D metroids have mediocre bosses including Super. It doesn't help that super has aged like crap and is a floaty piece of shit by today's standards.

Castlevania does everything metroid does, but better while SOTN has aged like fine wine.
>>
>>383547613
samus looks way off model there
>>
File: 31-03-2016 16.59.18.jpg (300KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
31-03-2016 16.59.18.jpg
300KB, 1280x720px
>>383547613
Forgot Super Metroid, just trow it in between Zero and Fusion.
>>
>>383544776
I still prefer SM, but AM2R is right behind it
>>
>>383547645
SOTN looks terrible with its 3D and the inverted castle has always been shit.
Calling it better than SM is pure delusion.
>>
>>383547645
AM2R's bosses were mediocre even by Metroid standards. And Super isn't floaty, the game simply has vertical momentum (which allows it to have vertical level design, something that every later Metroid game lacks). If you're going to complain Super, complain about the control scheme or the map system.

And Castlevania fails to take any of the deeper lessons from Metroid's level design.
>>
>>383547645
SotN has pitifully easy bosses though. CotM is the only Castlevania that can come close to Super Metroid. Speaking of Metroid, Fusion has mostly great bosses.
>>
>>383548117
Not him but what's wrong with Super's map system?
>>
>>383548265
There's no real indication where the doors/entrances to each room is just by looking at the map and you can't view the map for other areas without visiting that area. Also there are a number of missile tanks that aren't visible on the map, as well as some squares on the map containing two items. It's a fairly minor flaw, something you won't really care about on your umpteenth playthrough but I can imagine it would be frustrating for newer players.
>>
>>383548819
I don't know man. I played it just like 3 months ago and I felt pretty fine with all of those things. Maybe you're talking about "modern" gamers here or something.
>>
>>383548117
>AM2R's bosses were mediocre even by Metroid standards
AM2R has good bosses but have you played Zero Metroid? Holy shit. The series standard is sort of in the gutter.
>>
>>383544776
>unironically asking this question.
>>
>>383544776
>Will the official remake be better?
>2.5d
Hell no.
>>
>>383549178
Nah, that anon is correct as far as the unmarked (stacked) powerups are concerned. Super would certainly benefit from being able to cycle through area maps like the GBA metroids as well. Maridia is extremely confusing to a new player with all of its one-way doors/sandtraps and the elevator tube that bisects "deep maridia" where Draygon is. Throw "y cant metroid break glass tubes" into the mix and you have a frustrated gaymer, modern or not.

To metroidfags like myself that were able to figure it out with dedicated childhood autism it doesn't seem like an issue, but I can see others having issues with it that would be solved with a more detailed map system.

>>383548117
I agree, Igavanias only seem to inherit level design on the superficial level from SM. Despite having sprawling castle layouts they lack the nonlinearity and style of progression that super has. Hacks (particularly Hyper Metroid) and AM2R (the OC area - also a water area with a detailed map hmm rly mak u think) have recaptured the deeper lessons in addition to self-contained aspects of great level design.
>>
>Metroid thread that's actually about the game
>Not about samus's body
This thread will die while there are 6 eceleb threads in the catalog, and it's fucking tragic.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.