[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any good reason for their consoles all being extremely

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_2135.jpg (36KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2135.jpg
36KB, 400x400px
Is there any good reason for their consoles all being extremely underpowered? The Switch is weaker than tablets from years ago.
>>
>>383540721
They're more interested in providing novel hardware/software than pushing the limits of tech
Nintendo has always been about making a lot from a little
Just look at how the gameboy was inspired by punching buttons on a calculator
Sometimes they fuck up tho
>>
>>383540721
considering it can do what the pc and home consoles cant gives it a 1-up. now, as long as they can supply a steady stream of games, itll be better.
>>
>>383540721
The only tablets more powerful than the Switch use the exact same SoC that it does, and they're only more powerful before it starts throttling. The Tegra X1 is the most powerful consumer mobile-based chip there is, at least until Nvidia releasing a new one
>>
Its to cover up the fact that Nintendo programmers/artists work slow as fuck and their massive lack of employees compared to other devs of their size. This is why BoTH would've looked the exact same if it came out on PS4.
>>
>>383541568
I don't think Nintendo's low budget development is a secret. As long as developers keep going under and/or going mobile, it's hard to fault them for. If they have a business model that works, what's wrong with it
>>
>>383540721

>Is there any good reason for their consoles all being extremely underpowered?

Nintendos bottom line. They care about maximum profit. Why sell something powerful when you can sell something cheaply made and rake in the dough based on nostalgia and family friendliness.
>>
>>383540721
>The Switch is weaker than tablets from years ago.
That's literally false and you know fucking know that. >>383541496

The only thing they could've done to make it stronger was wait for Tegra X2 and even then, you're literally delaying the product for marginally better performance. There's no point. If they wanted to sell the Switch as a hybrid console they were gonna have to go with X1 since it was the most powerful SoC during development of the console and it would have been more cost effective anyway. I can't say I'm not disappointed about performance but I'm glad the hybrid concept was done so well that I'm willing to forgive it.
>>
>SNES
>extremely underpowered

>N64
>extremely underpowered

>Gamecube
>extremely underpowered
>>
>Yokoi articulated his philosophy of "Lateral Thinking of Withered Technology" (枯れた技術の水平思考, "Kareta Gijutsu no Suihei Shikō") (also translated as "Lateral Thinking with Seasoned Technology") in the book, Yokoi Gunpei Game House (横井軍平ゲーム館 Yokoi Gunpei Gēmu-kan), which consists of a collection of interviews. "Withered technology" in this context refers to a mature technology which is cheap and well understood. "Lateral thinking" refers to finding radical new ways of using such technology. Yokoi held that toys and games do not necessarily require cutting edge technology; novel and fun gameplay are more important. In the interview he suggested that expensive cutting edge technology can get in the way of developing a new product.[9]

They've been following Yokoi's philosophy since around the time he died.
>>
Part of the reason comes from Gunpei Yokoi's legacy (he was the designer of the nes, game and watches, game boy, and several other early nintendo hardware), as it was his philosophy that it's better to sell and develop for a cheaper system that's not top of the line rather than using expensive cutting edge technology.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.