[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

UPDATE SOON MY DUDES what are you planning on doing when

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 12

File: Dwarf.jpg (7KB, 211x228px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarf.jpg
7KB, 211x228px
UPDATE SOON MY DUDES

what are you planning on doing when it comes out?
>>
>>383530429
I'm going to try and play fortress mode, realize I'm too autistic to make a base "perfect" enough for my liking and then quit until the next update.
>>
>>383530538
>wanting your fort to be perfect.

Just make a barbarian hut village and launch raids on your enemies. Since that is now something you will be able to do. Send soldiers off of the fort site to attack other people.
>>
What is changing? Anything significant?
>>
File: 1496646616415.png (38KB, 444x440px) Image search: [Google]
1496646616415.png
38KB, 444x440px
>>383530673
>he doesn't start with 7 miners and create a grand design before summer
>>
>>383530759
>Send soldiers out to attack sites
>Artifacts will be a big deal, can be stolen, captured, placed under guard, negotiated for, ect
>Player and NPCs can have secret identities and do spy stuff, usually to look for artifacts.
>Kobold sites will be fleshed out and have traps and shit.
>You will be able to decide what specific animal groups and entity can use i.e. make a civ that only domesticates reptiles if you want to.
>NPC adventurers that will go on quests just like the player, and will track people and artifacts down by questioning peasants. So if you have, say, a stolen artifact sword, and a peasant sees you heading south, NPC hunters could use that info to find you.
>>
2x2 embark, not (primarily) for speed but because I like the constraint
mined-out veins will be the twisty hallways of my fortress, with various sized and shaped rooms off of these
taffer's tileset, unless I get bored and look for something I like better
>>
>no myths yet
not interested
>>
>>383530819
I usually start with 5 miners. I have 1 lumberjack/carpenter/fruit collector/guy who can count, and 1 general purpose worker who makes beds, doors, and booze.
>>
>>383531157
>So if you have, say, a stolen artifact sword, and a peasant sees you heading south, NPC hunters could use that info to find you.

This makes me so erect you have no idea. Imagine wandering from town to town with your treasured legendary weapon, doing odd jobs and mingling with the locals for a few days before having to head off because packs of roving bounty hunters are constantly on your trail, looking to take the artifact off of your still-warm corpse. It'd be so fucking cool to play that.
>>
Fuck moods.
>>
>>383532140
Finding yourself cornered, disguising yourself and giving them false directions of where you saw the artifact last. But maybe they see through your ruse and attack!
>>
>>383530429
gonna wait a month after until the new update isnt broken
>>
>>383532531
And eventually you fight them off.
And you fight more hunters off.
And some more.
and more...

And then.

You lose some sleep

Your body is mangled

You try to keep running

but you cant run forever

all hope is lost

you finally give up.

And throw yourself into a lava. because fuck those fuckers
>>
>>383532531
>>383532919
It would be cool if you could craft a fake, and so by some combination of your skill at forgery and their lack of perception or familiarity with the artifact, they agree to buy it from you (or just let you live) and you send others after them.

I think from what I've skimmed about the artifact arc this would be possible too, given there seems to be stuff regarding where the artifact was last seen and false information
>>
>>383532919
Or

>Find yourself in a small hamlet on the other side of the world.
>Invent a new identity as Urist Fisherman
>hide the sword in a secret lair
>live a quiet life, find a woman, settle down and have kids.
>one day be killed in a goblin attack
>with your last dying breath, tell your eldest son the location of the legendary sword.
>the saga begins anew.
>>
>>383530429
Gonna keep playing 40d and 0.34. since tantrum spirals were removed in 0.40 the game has just become trivially easy and too much fps death
>>
>>383532601
This guy knows what's up. Remember that update where trees were dropping exploding fruit and the map was being covered with hundreds of invisible babies?
Wait until maybe the 5th hotfix
>>
>>383534224
>the map was being covered with hundreds of invisible babies?

you're gonna need to elaborate friend
>>
Is it still just the one guy working on this?
>>
>>383531157
>Send soldiers out to attack sites
For what purpose? Do they bring back loot or something?
>>
>>383534542
isn't it two? one guy and his brother
>>
>>383534632
Yes. You can also rescue kidnapped children.
>>
I like the premise of this game but I kind of don't want to start playing in the beta, before it's finally released.
I really like the aspect of controlling so many toons and creating your own adventures it's nice and interesting
>>
Playing Rimworld, a much better designed game with actual features versus the bloat of DF.
>>
>>383534408
Look in dfg archives around July 2014 to get some keks, there was a bug where every baby in the world was appearing on your unit list killing fps.
>>
>>383534856
Is Rimworld still complete bullshit that tries to fuck you over at every turn?

If not, maybe I'll give it another chance.
>>
>>383534707
His brother is essentially an ideas guy and caretaker for the dev. He goes and buys Doritos & cat food and is toady's friend.
>>
I always stagnate around the time I start and need my military (first few gob invasions)
What should I try at this point to hold interest, frends?
>>
>>383534736
>toons
Where did this come from? Second time today, and I can only imagine someone with downs saying this
>>
>>383534965
RW is fun but it's just dice roll for random events. DF at least has a reason for why things happen but DF is less about fort mode and more about being a fantasy world generator these days.
>>
>>383530429
fuck off with your undertale bullshit
>>
>>383530429

So what you are saying is that i can be PROACTIVE about elf genocide?

Let's go
>>
Im thinking of actually playing it for real as my autism tolerance has grown a bit more lately due to ss13 shenanigans.

Any tips you guys can give to a newfag qould be apreciated.
>>
>>383534829
>Beta
Mate it's still in alpha. We'll be in beta probably some time in the 2020's.
That feel when you'll probably die before v1.0
>>
>>383535375
Follow the quick start guide, use the wiki, jump in.
DF isn't even hard, casuals just freak out about "muh gfx" and can't handle not having a mouse UI
>>
>>383535165
Did you quote the wrong post?
>>
>>383535375
Losing is fun

Embarquing with an army of doggos who you eventually turn into either mittens/lunch/war doggos is perfectly acceptable
>>
>>383535538
The UI is absolute shit though, cant blame anyone for not wanting to play it because its all just ascii graphics.
>>
>>383535375
bring along some turkeys, make them nest boxes, disallow eggs as food in the kitchen menu and in any food stockpile you have
Let them be until you have a turkey population explosion, then take eggs/butcher occasionally after a year or so, making sure to keep at least a male and some females. Lots of food and leather.
>>
>>383535645
>because its all just ascii graphics.
That's what makes it so great
>>
>>383535645
the ascii graphics isnt the bad part, its that the menuing is layed out kind of fucky until you memorize where everything is
but then its eazy
>>
>>383535645
what is a tileset???
>>
>>383535645
UI is fine, just learn the hot keys.

The only shitty menu is the military one really. DFhack adds search options and filters to all of the others.
>>
People are understandably desperate for DF formula games. Why hasn't any big publisher dug into this clearly profitable gold mine yet?

Imagine this with good production values.

It's like they hate money
>>
>>383536287
There are a lot. Rimworld's already made a ton of money.
>>
>>383536287
Its because said "people" wants a game that's vast as ocean but as deep as a puddle.
They just want a sand box with pretty things and dumb shit to do, instead of actual simulations and actual difficulty.
>>
>>383535645
I've found that the ascii graphics are more enjoyable than the disgusting tilesets I've tried. Somehow, my brain fills in the gaps of the symbol, after I've inspected what it is and how it behaves a few times. But the little square image that's supposed to be a dwarf or a kobold or whatever? it just comes off as really ugly.

So, at first sure it's off-putting. But I think it works really well if you're willing to put in the time. Also, an ascii-like tileset beyond vanilla is helpful.

>>383536287
I remember reading some AAA studio offering a very hefty sum to Toady. They're aware, but the risk and overhead is just too high. It's profitable, but for anyone big enough to be called a big publisher, they're out for minimal investment and an unrealistically yuuuuge return on it. They're short-sighted, and unwilling to spend the years it would take to get it close to correct when they could just shovel out more guaranteed shit.
>>
>>383536287
To quote some other anon

"It's funny (but true) that you graph complexity vs success for this type of game, it's complete upward trend.

People who want to take Dwarf Fortress and strip out shit to make it appealing and approachable don't realize that they're stripping out why people play the games."
>>
>>383536287
There are a lot of decent clones but only Rimworld is decent. (even if still a lot less good IMO)
>>
>>383530429
How soon?
Also, dwarf wrestler adventure mode.
>>
>>383536895
this month maybe
>>
>>383536493
Pretty much this. They're are dozens of titles that tried to be "DF but better" and they've nearly all been scams and cash grabs. Rimworld is the only one that's come even remotely close. It's got the difficulty and micro management focus and more mods than you can poke a stick at but as a df player I prefer having a fort of 200 than managing 5 ppl in a colony. Rw doesn't have zlvls either.

Some failed df-clones off the top of my head
>Towns
>Gnomoria
>Spacebase df-9
>Game of dwarves
>Craft the world
>Dwarves!?
Did I miss any?
>>
>>383536287
I'd be happy as fuck with even a dungeon keeper 3.

What the fuck,
>>
>>383537070
dk3 got turned into a gemshit mobile game
>>
>Adds dumb bloat that lags the game up rather than working on meaningful features like dwarvern economy
No thanks.
>>
File: 2-male-cats[1].jpg (163KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2-male-cats[1].jpg
163KB, 1600x1200px
>>383530429
>>
>>383537280
okay, I laughed
>>
>>383537257
I'm waiting on economy update too and I'm also annoyed he's making fort mode easier and laggier
>>
>>383537280
lmao
>>
>>383531157
>>Send soldiers out to attack sites
NOICE
>>
File: 1450538637249.png (208KB, 410x453px) Image search: [Google]
1450538637249.png
208KB, 410x453px
>>383537280
>2 male cats

nlmao
>>
>>383537280
Lmao
>>
>>383537257
>dumb bloat that lags the game
Did he ever fix the massive amounts of trolls spawning under dark fortresses that turn the game into a slideshow as soon as you go near them?
>>
I want weaponized works of literature
>dwarf gets inspired, writes The Vampire Elite Who Rule Nearby_Hamlet
>sell it to caravan
>hear travelers discussing it years later in the tavern
>hear news of revolt in Nearby_Hamlet
>>
>>383539123
More like
>legendary writer writes a book explaining why greed is to be seen as a high ideal and law is something to be looked down on
>its disseminated into the kingdom
>ancap revolution
>>
>>383538775
Isn't that more of problem of Goblins being immortal (as in ageless). So they never die and eventually you get thousands of them stuffed in evil zones.
>>
>>383537257
>not liking worldbuilding and wanting DF to be Plebworld
>>
>>383539646
With the weirdly extensive personal and societal values system that Toady's put in, I feel like the only thing preventing this from happening is books being able to change people's opinions.
>>
>>383537280
I don't get it, you can't even control feline toons in the game?
>>
>>383540672
With the way procedural generation goes though, far more likely would be some random shit that inspires a civ to start wearing only turkey leather, or make eating a crime

>>383540792
>toons
just why is this a thing. Am I the only one who sees this and imagines a paste-eating hand sniffer?
>>
>>383540087
It's trolls specifically, tons of them spawn and they all have different civilized jobs but they never do anything but sit around in a cave. So many of them spawn that the game starts chugging if you get anywhere near them.
>>
So is fort mode actually integrated into the world, or does it still fake all it's interactions between the two.
>>
someone show me a video that'll teach the basics of dorf fortress
>>
>>383541087
Eve online players use it a lot, there's a small crossover of the two communities.
>>
>>383543286
It's actually integrated and the integration is getting better with every update.
>>
>>383543286
Integrated, getting better with every update, but it's making the game easier though
>>
>>383543286
Integration is underway, yeah. For example, armies will travel from their origin site to the fortress when war is declared, or wandering adventurers will stop at your tavern.

>>383543370
Honestly you'd be better off learning through trial and error. Tutorial videos always turn out boring and cause people to think there's only one right way to play the game. Just do this:

>Start a fort, experiment, try and do as many things as you can
>fail
>figure out how you failed and use the wiki to learn more about that subject
>focus on learning more about this subject on your next fort
>die to something else
>look up how to deal with it
>repeat until you are a master
>>
>>383541302
Its easier when you take away the [SLOW_LEARNER] tag from trolls, and they just become dumb animals.
>>
Bump for dorfs. Also what are some good mods?
>>
>>383543370
Don't watch "tutorials". Watch videos about mega projects or people going on incredibly hostile areas. You'll learn 10x faster and better than by watching some random retard drone on for 40+ minutes.

Also I'd reccomend you get a 2nd monitor and have the wiki open at most times.
If you want to spoil everything by reading about FUNgo ahead but you'll need the rest of the wiki to get a hang of the mechanics.
>>
>>383535165
are you in the right thread, anon?
>>
>>383530429
>SOON
how soon?
>>
>>383546729
this month probably
>>
>>383546772
where'd that idea stem from?

last I heard toady still had a way's to go toward release?
>>
>>383547543
Look at his dev blog. All that's left is minor bugfixing. Also I believe he said so himself.
>>
>>383535136

Add some custom dyes and try to make your military full steel warriors with gold colored clothing and cloaks.
>>
>>383545247

The ones you make yourself. I like adding a shit ton of plants to add some variety to booze and food, dyes. I also pick some weapon mods here and there but only add a few to avoid making it too bloated, I would recommend staying away from armour mods since they make the game too easy and finally, I like gunpowder mods but that's just because I love muskets, I make sure they're not much stronger than a crossbow so it's just flavour.
>>
crop rotation, soil pH drainage and nutrients, pests and plant diseases when
basically the farming isn't autistic enough for me
>>
>>383549193
I think you can already rotate crops if you want.
>>
>>383530429

I'll wait for an update that makes the game playable for non-autists. Which will be never.
>>
>>383549443
but there's no reason to
>>
File: DWORF MENTALITY.jpg (178KB, 254x478px) Image search: [Google]
DWORF MENTALITY.jpg
178KB, 254x478px
Try my hardest to get into dworf fort boys, I really do. It would probably be the best game made If I could handle the graphics, everytime I play I just die from something I don't even understand what's going on. And when I try and make a military it seems like a chore, I look at that spredsheet and cry a little bit. I'm sure it's very easy once you've played the game a lot more then I have though.

What would you dudes recommend? I was thinking of maybe a tileset to ease the eyes, but then some people say it's not worth it because when the updates roll out you'll be behind.
>>
>>383530429
Time fcuk?
>>
>>383549872
fair enough
>>
>>383549898
Try playing adventure mode first so you can learn what all the ASCII means at your own pace.
>>
>>383530429

>fps

not gonna play this game until notch fixes the fps issue
>>
File: 1424392027181.png (373KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
1424392027181.png
373KB, 720x405px
>>383550114
>try adventure mode
>start off in a mountainhome
>get lost
>starve to death, never seeing the light of day, surrounded by a bunch of other dwarves

Such is life
>>
>>383550439
try starting in a city. Also, did you know when you're in fast travel mode in a fortress, you can fast travel up and down? Just leave that way.
>>
>>383549898
>I was thinking of maybe a tileset to ease the eyes
Most people use a different font and colors. The default ones are horrible.

The default rectangular font is terrible for a grid based display. switch it to a square one.
Then there is the bright greens, yellows, and other colors on a black background that burn your eyes. Modify your colors.txt to something softer, such as one of these one of these: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Color_scheme

Tilesets are ok, but they usually break when a new version drops.
>>
>>383550280
This. Holy fuck I know that autistic simulation of cyclop's pubic hair on a wind requires tremendous amount of processing power but seeing your saves slowly descent into fps death is unacceptable from text game.
>>
>>383537070
HI I'M HORNY
>>
>>383549898
I've been playing on and off for many years and rarely do much with military because like you say, I think it's a chore too.

I get much more enjoyment out of not dealing with military and just doing all sorts of traps and whatnot. There's a lot of room to get creative there, like the typical drowning or lava rooms, of course the placed traps, knocking enemies off ledges into pits with beasts, and so on.

That doesn't solve your problem with graphics I suppose. I hate graphical tilesets, but I like tilesets that are ascii but better. pic is Taffer's which is what I've been using for ages now. Still ascii, but much more pleasant to look at than vanilla.

It will never be a game where a "kobold looks like a kobold." And imo, trying to get there by having a little square picture of something vaguely lizard-like just makes the situation worse. Read the description, imagine the kobold, that's much better. And if this doesn't work for you, then probably DF will never be the game for you unfortunately.
>>
>>383531157
that's cool and all but when are we gonna get boats and mounts?
>>
>>383536287
Because nobody else has the magic. Straight up. No clone has even come anywhere close to DF in terms of quality. Rimworld some people seem to like, but honestly it's desperate attempt to ape DF is the worst part of the game and it would be better off if they just stopped trying to copy it because they can't do a good job.

It's like you heard about Mike Tyson being a famous boxer and said "well why doesn't someone just go beat him, seems like that would be a good career move". The reason they haven't is because they can't. They try, but they can't.
>>
>>383551248
SHORT FOR "THE HORNED REAPER"
>>
>>383551251
>>
File: QerlI.png (42KB, 1600x500px) Image search: [Google]
QerlI.png
42KB, 1600x500px
>>383551249
>pic related
>>
>>383550930
Is CLA good?
>>
File: df 09.webm (2MB, 578x578px) Image search: [Google]
df 09.webm
2MB, 578x578px
>>383551056
>not having a super computer for you 10x10 embark
>>
File: 1486343559395.jpg (84KB, 692x478px) Image search: [Google]
1486343559395.jpg
84KB, 692x478px
>>383551448
>above ground fort
>>
How do I get into dorf fort ;_;
>>
>>383551614
exploring the caverns makes the fps drop to unplayable levels for me
>>
>>383551696
>>383550114
>>
>>383551249

Taffer looks pretty good. Might give it a look.
>>
File: df taffers housing.png (413KB, 1168x616px) Image search: [Google]
df taffers housing.png
413KB, 1168x616px
>>383552854
>>
File: mayor.jpg (352KB, 1920x1040px) Image search: [Google]
mayor.jpg
352KB, 1920x1040px
>>383549898
there's some neat tilesets out there
>>
>>383545247
Depends on version but here are some

Dwarf chocolate
Modest mod
Fear the night
Masterwork is a huge mod pack that's a bit controversial and full of bloat
Fallout: Equestria

A guy on dfg was making a dark souls mod and a monster girl mod too. The mg one wasn't fetish shit, but civs of monster girls that would kidnap males in world gen and fort mode

Wiki should also have a good list of the better mods, but editing the raws yourself to add custom races, workshops, items and enemies is actually pretty easy.
>>
>>383550439
>Make a fort next to mountain home
>Make sets of masterwork armor and weapons
>Makes heaps of food and drink
>Abandon fort
Wa la, now you have a place to gear up and get supplies when you start
Bonus points if you scatter forts all around the world as comfy bases, taverns or places to hide.
>>
>>383550439
>didn't sign up for mountainhome orientation and dwarven teambuilding exercises
you deserved to starve honestly
>>
>>383549898
The military UI looks like a clusterfuck but honestly the presets are fine. All the other options are there if you want to micro manage

Archer preset for squads will automatically gear then in leather with an xbow.

Go to the ammo screen on the squad and up the amount of bolts too 500 or more.

Once you have enough armor made (use the manager to order 10 of everything per squad) set the squad to "replace clothing".

Marks squads will only train in time off, so keep them inactive and some bolts near your archery range and you're set.

Default "metal armor" preset is ok, but once you get a feel for the military menu make squads all use the same weapon. You can do this either by only making one type of weapon (easy/lazy way) or copy/paste the metal preset and change individual code weapon to what you want.

Give squads rotating months off in the schedule so they can go get drunk n shit.
>>
>>383551251
>Mounts
For dwarves, never. Enemies already have mounts.
>Boats, airships and flying castles
Eventually, prob not before 2030
>>
>>383554183
Meant to write "individual choice"
>>
File: 1499264444128.jpg (6KB, 226x225px) Image search: [Google]
1499264444128.jpg
6KB, 226x225px
>>383531302
I got comfy just reading your post, anon
>>
>>383554659
I agree, vein forts a best
Thread posts: 125
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.