[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Remember when Gabe was some sort of hero for the industry? When

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

File: 03e.png (407KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
03e.png
407KB, 600x600px
Remember when Gabe was some sort of hero for the industry?

When did it all go wrong for him? Where's HL3?
>>
>>383527859
Steam and the Mannconomy happened.
>>
>Kill the FPS genre and turn it into linear corridor cinematic story driven bullshit
>Hero for the industry

Nice joke there OP
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt0w9YP_wZ0

I'm still mad.
>>
>>383527947
lol fps started as linear corridor games, baby boy
>>
>>383527947
>turned it into
>>
>>383528101
>>383528124
>cinematic story driven bullshit
>>
>>383527859
>The only reason we know HL3 is a thing is from a couple of lines of leaked code
>Nothing else has been said about it for over a decade
>>
>>383527859

He's currently deep into the VR rabbit hole. Mainly why nothing else is getting done at Valve. No doubt we'll see VR game announcements later this year.
>>
>>383527859

Why would he make more games? Look how much money he makes peddling others.

>muh creative passion

Funny how quick people lose that when theyre not skint anymore.
>>
>>383528401
Half life 3 is going VR
>>
>>383527859
It's a slow process.
A combination of valve getting money blown up their ass and them refusing to hire more needed people for normal work like qualitiy checks on submitions and of course a fucking customer services suited for a multibillion company operating worldwide to millions of customers every day.
>>
>>383528356
A Half Life 3 "leak" seems to happen every few months, but thanks to idiots eating up all the garbage in Dota 2 and CSGO, Valve is set for life. They'd have to be high to release it at this point
>>
Around the time TF2 went F2P, it became clear that Valve wasn't making games, and the novelty of Steam started to falter. Now people just take Steam as a given, and forget Gaben is behind it. Then combine that with Valve no longer caring about games and people stop caring about him.

There's just too much money for Valve from things that aren't games, and it requires way less effort/innovation.
>>
>>383527859
>When did it all go wrong for him?

Who cares? He's enjoying his billions, let him live his happy life.
>>
>>383529009
>There's just too much money for Valve from things that aren't games
They still make a ton from games. Just not their own. Steam still has that really high cut from every sale with 30%. The most ridiculous thing is the market place where they literally do nothing but keep the servers up so retards can trade virtual goods always with the valve tax on every transaction.
>>
File: 1499302974487.jpg (213KB, 1737x587px) Image search: [Google]
1499302974487.jpg
213KB, 1737x587px
>>383527859
It didn't go wrong for him, he's a multibillionaire who has more money than Donald Trump.

Probably as to when he stopped becoming a hero was when Valve stopped making new games.
>>
One year after Team Fortress 2 went f2p, Valve said that they actually made MORE money than by selling their games.

Then came out Dota 2 with the same principle... and it's even fuller of retards jerking off to useless cosmetic shit.

Not only will Valve never release new games, but they are actually fucking up the current ones. For example, they made Dota 2 extremely "noob-friendly" by changing core mechanics and giving and edge to new players. This way, the new players will actually have fun from the beginning, and won't need to practice for 6 months to get a single kill... which means they are more likely to get hooked and start spending HUGE amounts of cash on useless crap.
>>
Valve actually have some pretty impressive projects, Steam obviously, but also VR, some movie stuff that's supposedly being developed, and so on.

They also still make games btw, it's just that all the content they produce is in the form of updates, not new IP or standalone experiences. If you look at the quality of what they put out though, it's all pretty good, especially compared to the crap of 99% of other studios.
>>
>>383527859
releasing l4d2 a year after l4d1 is the moment alarm bells went off
>>
>>383530894
And then never making L4D3 despite a large fanbase
>>
>>383531112
there is no reason to make another l4d game regardless of what went wrong with valve. there isn't much you can add to the game mechanics in this series. at most it would just be new maps and survivors
>>
>>383531360
Yeah I just wish they'd keep adding new maps and zombies when they get a good idea. But in reality there really isn't a reason to make another. I do wish l4d2 was on consoles though, pc players don't play shit that isn't csgo overwatch league or dota 2 so every game is half dead or filled with weirdos and hackers
>>
>>383531619
>Companies didn't cater to the masses before Apple or nintendo
>I hate Apple and Nintendo so he's my retarded leap in logic
>>
>>383531360
That's what I want though.

I want new maps, new characters, new enemies, new weapons, new items, new graphics.

I want more.
>>
>>383527859
The only retards who still give a fuck about this fat fuck are linuxfags who still believe he will save they shitty OS.
>>
>>383531858

There are a ton of examples before and after the Nintendo Wii and the Apple Iphone

Bethesda's games before those were much less streamlined than they are now.
>>
File: bob the tomato.gif (1MB, 320x213px) Image search: [Google]
bob the tomato.gif
1MB, 320x213px
>>383531619
The Wii and the iPhone came out in 2007, but Portal and Portal 2 came out after that. Do you honestly think they cancelled HL3 because of that?
>>
>>383531360

You could do a lot with the setting of L4D though, the concept is a virus that rapidly mutates people into various strains. The Spitter, Charger, and Jockey all popped up within a week after L4D1's events.
>>
>>383532075
technically the community can and does create new content itself it's just most people don't want to play it

hell even out of the original campaigns many of them don't get played often. people usually stick to the top 2 most popular/loved ones

there are no new weapons/zombies to add without these things beings gimmicks/game breaking. the mechanics aren't that sophisticated it's just that

i too miss those days and think this series in general wasn't brought to it's full potential but the room for growth for this series is very limited
>>
Remember how good L4D was though?

Remember those first experiences?

>Ohhhh shiiiiit guys, what's that thing crying in the corner?

>Let me check it out
>screeeeeetch

>dead

>everyone starts shooting

>it's not going down

>3/4 team dead

>last guy just runs

>enveloped by a horde

>Ok guys, new strategy
>>
File: 1498182644607.png (611KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
1498182644607.png
611KB, 800x451px
Valve got themselves a nice niche which ended up becoming the cornerstone of the PC gaming industry, and then blundered into the cockpit of an incredibly lucrative pixel trading setup popular with children and Russian money launderers.

They have no reason to do anything else at this point aside from keeping Steam, DOTA, TF2, and CS:GO running as long as humanly possible. They're making money hand over fist by virtue of existing.

Even if they decided they wanted to release something, a lot of Valve's best talent (especially their writers) have gone off to do other things, so the chances of HL3 even being good before factoring in the decade of hype and intrigue are incredibly low.
>>
>>383532582
t. 'member berries
>>
>>383528636
That and a couple of the big names that worked on the first two half life games have left valve.

Not to mention the fact that Breen's VA is dead...
>>
>>383532920
> Breen's VA is dead.

so is dr.breen. out of all the things that could've fucked HL3 this isn't one of them. might as well say gordon's voice actor died
>>
>>383532582
fuck, man. this brings me back.
>>
>>383527859
Patience.
HL3 will come out for GNU/Linux as a killer app.
>>
>>383533629
Yeah when the average CPU will be some top tier i7 but it would be considered a toaster by then.
>>
File: 1496376057871.jpg (34KB, 960x498px) Image search: [Google]
1496376057871.jpg
34KB, 960x498px
>>383527859
>Where's HL3?

After episode 2 drained them they decided to take time with episode 3.

It kept getting bigger and bigger so they were going to do a whole Half-Life 3 event..

Then late in development they decided they wanted to have it be a multiplayer game and make it up to four players co-op. Which means they had to scrap everything.

Now it's late in development again, and they decide to have the entire thing be in VR as an option, so they had to scrap everything AGAIN.

This entire time only a few people are actually working on HL3, so this is why it's taking so long.

Wouldn't surprise me if they scrap everything again knowing them.

And that is the story of HL3's development hell.
>>
>>383527859
he used to make games, now he work less and make more money. i wouldnt make games too if free money fell on my lap twice a year.

it went wrong when he discovered this
hl3 is never gonna happen, better grief for it
>>
File: 1467361545999.jpg (15KB, 269x249px) Image search: [Google]
1467361545999.jpg
15KB, 269x249px
He went the route that nets his company the most company. I'm sorry guys, but Valve isn't your "friend". No company is. The sooner you get over this corporate worshipping mindset, the better.
>>
>>383527859
My honest opinion is that valve was never very good as devs. They had an eye for spotting quality and so they took mods and polished them up.
>>
>>383528080
Forever Mad
>>
Last thing I heard about technology Valve made is Steam Audio. And Gabe mentioned a couple of unnamed games in development.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.